IE Operation Aborted? Post Here

Comments

• {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Turns out you were trying to do something else; edit the breadcrumb; before the DOM was ready. I tweaked your code and it works now.
    Mog wrote:
    I altered my footer to the below, with no joy headscratch.gif

/* required slideshow variables */
    slideshowContainerId = "bioSS";
    firstSlideUrl = "http://Mog.smugmug.com/photos/102946047-S.jpg";
    slideshowUrl = "http://mog.smugmug.com/gallery/1890267";
    quickStart = false;
    slideControls = true;
    randomSlides = true;
    resizeToPhoto = false;
    slideHeight = "285";
    slideWidth = "450";
    slideDuration = 4;
    if (YD.hasClass(document.body,'homepage') && !YD.hasClass(document.body,'galleries')) {
    loadSlideshow ();
    }
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Same here.

It happens on my galleries as well, on IE6 and IE7.
    It happens to me and some friends and colleagues told me they've seen it on my site as well (www.streetsofboston.com).

I can not reproduce it consistently. It happens so now and then. Hitting 'Refresh' (or F5) will make the page appear OK.

On my page it happens after the page has loaded successfully (everything is visible). Then a fraction of a second later, the 'Operation aborted' appears. Maybe some AJAX calls executed during the BODY's 'onload' event?
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • MogMog Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    Turns out you were trying to do something else; edit the breadcrumb; before the DOM was ready. I tweaked your code and it works now.

Thanks JT, it's much appreciated
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Same here.

It happens on my galleries as well, on IE6 and IE7.
    It happens to me and some friends and colleagues told me they've seen it on my site as well (www.streetsofboston.com).

I can not reproduce it consistently. It happens so now and then. Hitting 'Refresh' (or F5) will make the page appear OK.

On my page it happens after the page has loaded successfully (everything is visible). Then a fraction of a second later, the 'Operation aborted' appears. Maybe some AJAX calls executed during the BODY's 'onload' event?
    Yeah, please reread JTs post above...
    edited April 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah, please reread JTs post above...

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

My site does not change any HTML before the the DOM has loaded. Code is executed through the BODY's 'onload' event.

update:
    I just saw the update about the slide-show issue. Was that the post you were referring too?

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    richpepp wrote:
    Question: Which part of the code is it that is causing the wait until the page is fully loaded?

if (YD.hasClass(document.body,'homepage') && !YD.hasClass(document.body,'galleries')) {
    loadSlideshow ();
    }

The reason for asking is that I have some code that I want to run on other pages than just the home page and if I remove the 'YD.hasClass' stuff above I get the IE error.

Thanks

RichP

(FYI it is the rem_pipes code)
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    I am not a web programmer!!!
    I read JTs post after getting an email from a client that my site isn't working.

I found the code JT was referring to and replaced it, but I did it in the Javascript section and not the footer customization section.

So I deleted it, but now can't figure out what is supposed to go where I deleted it. The missing code is between the two brackets I've bolded (I think).

if (typeof(slidesClickable) == "undefined" || typeof(slidesClickable) != "boolean")
    slidesClickable = false;
    return true;
    }
    }
    {
    if (!PrepSlideEnvironment())
    return false
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited April 16, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I read JTs post after getting an email from a client that my site isn't working.

I found the code JT was referring to and replaced it, but I did it in the Javascript section and not the footer customization section.

So I deleted it, but now can't figure out what is supposed to go where I deleted it. The missing code is between the two brackets I've bolded (I think).

if (typeof(slidesClickable) == "undefined" || typeof(slidesClickable) != "boolean")
    slidesClickable = false;
    return true;
    }
    }
    {
    if (!PrepSlideEnvironment())
    return false
    I don'tthink this code is stuff that needs changing, sorry. JT is at a conf but will be online later
    edited April 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I don'tthink this code is stuff that needs changing, sorry. JT is at a conf but will be online later

I understand, but that's where I incorrectly inserted/deleted a "load slideshow" command, but now I can't figure out how to UNDO it...eg what is supposed to go between those brackets! Everything's working fine on my site now except the slideshow.
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited April 16, 2007
    Add this this to your code at the very end:

YE.on(window,'load', function() {
        loadSlideshow ();
    });

urbanaries wrote:
    I understand, but that's where I incorrectly inserted/deleted a "load slideshow" command, but now I can't figure out how to UNDO it...eg what is supposed to go between those brackets! Everything's working fine on my site now except the slideshow.
    edited April 16, 2007
    {JT} wrote:

loadSlideshow ();
    });

I don't have a slideshow on my homepage. Would this work on my homepage as well, to get rid of these 'Operation aborted' messages?

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
    edited April 16, 2007
    {JT} wrote:

loadSlideshow ();
    });

{JT} - Can we use this code to run any script once the page is loaded or is it specific to loadSlideshow()?

Thanks

Richard
    edited April 16, 2007
    richpepp wrote:
    {JT} - Can we use this code to run any script once the page is loaded or is it specific to loadSlideshow()?

Thanks

Richard
    Please wait for {JT} thanks!
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    {JT} wrote:

loadSlideshow ();
    });

Hi JT !
    Thank you so much - I have several slideshows running on my site other than the homepage. I added that to the end of the slideshow script and refresh and bingo - problem solved...
    THANKS !!!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif - jr
    edited April 16, 2007
    Yes, I would put all of my scripts inside and run them once the page loads.

richpepp wrote:

Thanks

Richard
    edited April 16, 2007
    Yes - if you have any type of script that edits the page (including those that swap out new text for old text), I know you claimed that you don't have code that does - but I am willing to bet you do :)

I am fairly busy at the web2.0 conf, but I can try to look tonight or tomorrow.
    I don't have a slideshow on my homepage. Would this work on my homepage as well, to get rid of these 'Operation aborted' messages?
    edited April 16, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    Yes - if you have any type of script that edits the page (including those that swap out new text for old text), I know you claimed that you don't have code that does - but I am willing to bet you do :)

I am fairly busy at the web2.0 conf, but I can try to look tonight or tomorrow.

Hi JT, thanks for your help!

I think you'd lose that bet! :D
    I have only one spot where my custom javascript modifies the HTML itself and it is not on my homepage. It's adding a SmugWidget to my Guestbook.

The error only occurs on occasion. There is no immediate hurry, although it would be nice if this could be fixed.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
    edited April 17, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    Yes, I would put all of my scripts inside and run them once the page loads.

Thanks {JT}, I'll give it a shot today. thumb.gif
    edited April 17, 2007
    {JT} wrote:

loadSlideshow ();
    });

I know JT is at a conference, but it is unclear whether he means the Javascript or the footer code. I just don't want to make matters worse by assuming...thanks!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited April 17, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I know JT is at a conference, but it is unclear whether he means the Javascript or the footer code. I just don't want to make matters worse by assuming...thanks!
    Lynne see your other thread, your site looks fine to me after I fixed it earlier.
    edited April 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Lynne see your other thread, your site looks fine to me after I fixed it earlier.

ok thanks I responded in that thread.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • ErikmateyErikmatey Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:

I'm still lost...Help.
    I'm still getting the same error, but can not figure out how to clear it. anyone care to do it for me, or step by step instructions?

Sorry for any hassles. I didn't customize my site, I just added the pictures so the HTML is still kind of jibberish to me.
    edited April 17, 2007
    Erikmatey wrote:
    I'm still lost...Help.
    I'm still getting the same error, but can not figure out how to clear it. anyone care to do it for me, or step by step instructions?

Sorry for any hassles. I didn't customize my site, I just added the pictures so the HTML is still kind of jibberish to me.
    Who customized your site? Yikes, the tables :(
    It's not like any code I've ever seen. Who did it, they should see this thread and make the proper adjustment. Let us know.
  • ErikmateyErikmatey Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Who customized your site? Yikes, the tables :(
    It's not like any code I've ever seen. Who did it, they should see this thread and make the proper adjustment. Let us know.

JerryR did my site...should I refer him here? or is it something we can work on together?
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 17, 2007
    Erikmatey wrote:
    JerryR did my site...should I refer him here? or is it something we can work on together?

Hi :)

Yes, please, have Jerry look at your site and if he is not able to determine the problem, he can post here, and JT or someone can help.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
    edited April 17, 2007
    Hi JT, thanks for your help!

I think you'd lose that bet! :D
    I have only one spot where my custom javascript modifies the HTML itself and it is not on my homepage. It's adding a SmugWidget to my Guestbook.

The error only occurs on occasion. There is no immediate hurry, although it would be nice if this could be fixed.

Dutchie, you contradicted yourself :) That one spot could be the thing that is causing all of your problems. I modified your footer code as a result - lets keep an eye out and see if that was it.
    YE.on(window,'load',function() { document.write((new Date()).getFullYear()); });

Sorry, I thought I was clear that the problem is editing the HTML of the page before it is ready - did not matter if it was on the homepage or not. Also did not matter if it was the slideshow, could have been any function (althought a majority of users had problems with their slideshow).

Anyway, lets keep an eye out and see if that was it!

JT
    edited April 17, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    Dutchie, you contradicted yourself :) That one spot could be the thing that is causing all of your problems. I modified your footer code as a result - lets keep an eye out and see if that was it.
    YE.on(window,'load',function() { document.write((new Date()).getFullYear()); });

Sorry, I thought I was clear that the problem is editing the HTML of the page before it is ready - did not matter if it was on the homepage or not. Also did not matter if it was the slideshow, could have been any function (althought a majority of users had problems with their slideshow).

JT

Hi JT...
    But i was not using innerHTML on a DOM element... document.writeln is supposed to be used before the BODY has loaded, isn't it?

Your change has actually messed up my site...:cry the only text showin on my site is no '2007' on a completely white background.

Since i can not log-in (my site is totally unaccesible...), could you undo your change...

Thanks
    -- Anton.

Update:
    My site is working again. I can get into my site now.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
    edited April 17, 2007
    {JT} wrote:

JT

Just Before you made your change, i think i found the issue on my site.

I called doOnLoad (a function in my custom javascript) in a < script > element (in addition to through the BODY's onload event). This made my menu bar appear sooner. This manipulated DOM, possible before the BODY was entirely loaded. I removed this < script > element and i think the 'Operation aborted' was gone. (in addition, i show a message that my menu bar is loading)

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
    edited April 18, 2007
    Yeah, sorry about that - I fixed it as soon as Andy let me know.

I must have missed the menu thing, but glad you caught it :)

Hope it is working smooth!
    Just Before you made your change, i think i found the issue on my site.

I called doOnLoad (a function in my custom javascript) in a < script > element (in addition to through the BODY's onload event). This made my menu bar appear sooner. This manipulated DOM, possible before the BODY was entirely loaded. I removed this < script > element and i think the 'Operation aborted' was gone. (in addition, i show a message that my menu bar is loading)
  • kathynmegkathynmeg Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Me too! Me Too!! I am having these same issues and it is driving me crazy. My clients who are trying to make selections on their shoot cannot get in to view proofs. This started happening about 3 days ago. headscratch.gif

Kathy