Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    BTW- There is a "Newport" here in SoCal ... so changing your address would be less painful.

Gary
    :lol

Actually, I lived in Huntington Beach a while ago...I was 3 at the time.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 16, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Honestly though, I think I am losing the taste for the old junk. I used to down 3 or 4 diet Coke's a day and I haven't had one for a month. Today I figured I'd have a half a glass - meh, it wasn't that great. I don't miss it. thumb.gif
    3 weeks ago I had a couple Vanilla Diet Cokes late at night when I had brain fry and wanted a boost to find my stupid bugs. Didn't taste good at all.

I had two weeks of late nights and so I'd grab a diet coke now and then, unusual for me. Amazing how quickly I regained a taste for it. And the cookies on the counter and chocolate bars started looking pretty good too...

Amazing how quickly the old cravings come back to me if I start down that slippery slope. eek7.gif
  • Options
    gweipogweipo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2007
    frozen veg and kids are a winning combination!
    Frozen veg and kids are a winning combination. I used to work in the canned veg industry and even the guys there agreed that frozen was best. Its fresh and you don't have to waste and the kids love it.
  • Options
    gweipogweipo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2007
    fuhrman rocks!
    I've been half assed trying to shift the 14kg after the kids and a stressful move to Hong Kong. I did tons of exercise (I mean tons) and was half baked about my diet. I then started on Fuhrman. It was hard in the beginning, but since it was summer, salads were an option. I'm now past month 2, I've lost 7kg in the last 7 months, and 3 of them were in the last 2 months since I started his way of eating.
    I'm not starving myself, and I'm doing way less exercise.
    I feel a lot healthier and energetic and boy do I feel the impact of sugar now when I misbehave! Better than that, I've lost all my cravings for chocolate (I was addicted) and no longer eat for comfort.

The key is to have a good vegetarian cookbook and to keep the variety in it. I've met a fair amount of Indian people here in Hong Kong and they are all Vegan. So I'm getting lots of tips from them, and steering clear of the more unhealthy things in their recipes (like coconut milk or lots of oil and fat).
    If you add chili and/or ginger and/or garlic and/or onions to any vegetable combination it makes a huge taste difference.
    And if you stay away from yukky bland iceberg salad and go for raw baby spinach or rucola it's great.

I do miss cheese though. But you can have it in moderation.

As for the kids, they're still carnivores, but I'm upping the portions of veg and slowly decreasing the meat on their plate. I'm about to read "disease proof your child" and will report back after that.

My blog is: www.gweipo.blogspot.com
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Thanks for the pointer, Baldy. clap.gif
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    gweipo wrote:
    If you add chili and/or ginger and/or garlic and/or onions to any vegetable combination it makes a huge taste difference.

Great suggestion!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    The path may not be as wide or as meaty as you're thinking though thumb.gif

You should read the china study if you haven't.

I was pointing out the irony of a diet which emphasizes whole, fresh, unprocessed foods .. but which isn't complete without a pill.

I don't know why Baldy eats fish, but doing so seems like a healthier, more natural way to import B12 than popping a pill whose effects may not be well understood.

Don't worry, I'm not attacking your diet, and no need to preach to me. I admire the folks here who have the discipline to radically change what they eat. I was merely responding to David asking Baldy why he ate fish.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 17, 2007
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I was pointing out the irony of a diet which emphasizes whole, fresh, unprocessed foods .. but which isn't complete without a pill.

I don't know why Baldy eats fish, but doing so seems like a healthier, more natural way to import B12 than popping a pill whose effects may not be well understood.

Don't worry, I'm not attacking your diet, and no need to preach to me. I admire the folks here who have the discipline to radically change what they eat. I was merely responding to David asking Baldy why he ate fish.
    easy man, just a bit of harmless banter back and forth not preaching. I thought the smiley would let you know. :D See?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    lol. "Eating a high toxin diet and having to drop to about 2000 calories doesn’t sound very appealing. I would miss second-breakfast." That's funny to me.

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 17, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    lol. "Eating a high toxin diet and having to drop to about 2000 calories doesn’t sound very appealing. I would miss second-breakfast." That's funny to me.

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    headscratch.gif
    Mike ate the Fugu.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    headscratch.gif
    second breakfast, that's awesome.

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Art Scott
    There is cyanide in apple seeds but the amount of seeds needed to be poisonous is around a peck to a bushel at one time and I think any seed could be dangerous in that amount.........

DavidTO wrote:
    I'm still not putting it in my Vitamix. :D

Angelo wrote:
    OK OK OK, we get it.... NO SEEDS IN THE VITAMIX!!!

lol3.gif

App;e seed and most others grind right up and y0ou'll never know they are in there....now I would not put a peach seed or anything like that thru mine....but apple, orange and grapefruit and such yeah,,,,,,,grind it up can't hurt ya..also savestime and energy in geting stuff ready to mix........also remember a lot of those seeds cost really good money in the health food store (grape seed, pumpkin seed etc etc).........really they are good :D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 18, 2007
    A dear friend of our family got breast cancer at age 28 and had to have both removed. Her doctor won't let her touch soy products as a result, so she fears for my family and our soy consumption.

Am I daft, or is the compelling evidence in exactly the opposite direction?

http://www.foodrevolution.org/mothering.htm
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    A dear friend of our family got breast cancer at age 28 and had to have both removed. Her doctor won't let her touch soy products as a result, so she fears for my family and our soy consumption.

Am I daft, or is the compelling evidence in exactly the opposite direction?

http://www.foodrevolution.org/mothering.htm

Not having read the china study but I had preumed it was a study on the effects of how the aisian people eat and what they mostly consume = why thye have such long life........soy is a large part of their diet....I am reading "Raw Food: Life Force Energy" by Natalia Rose.....just starting it as all B&N and Borders here are without the China Study........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    While browsing Dr. F's recipe archive, I found a link to this site, chock full of great looking recipes.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    A good friend just sent me a copy of The China Study.
    I was so impressed with the research that I have now changed my diet by consuming animal protein at the suggested level. I have given up milk and other dairy products as well. I am looking forward to seeing the results. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    A month ago I read Eat To Live. I put off The China Study because it was longer and looked more difficult to get through.

But I picked it up yesterday, and found out how wrong I was. Imminently readable and very informative. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Good blender review here, but I wish it included more models.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    10944573-Ti.gif
    A few recipes from Chow that looked interesting.

They claim to have created the ultimate veggie burger.

"Real" tabbouleh.

Cajun Tempeh Po'-boys

:eat
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    So, a couple of important points from that story:

test subjects were:
    overweight, post-menopausal, non-diabetic women

and the second study he references:

women ages 50 to 79

No where is there reference to whether the subjects smoked or exercised.
    No where is there the acknowledgement that:
    1. weight loss is really slow after menopause
    2. cancer and heart disease risk are influenced all through your life, so if you've eaten poorly up to 50, your not really likely to impact your likelyhood of developing the disease by changing your diet at that point, especially if you do nothing else.

This report also does not ask the participants if they felt better for following any of the diets.

Another conclusion I am coming to is that the whole food approach is successful because it gets all the toxins (preservatives, additives, colring) out of your system. In my case, this has made a big difference to the joint pain I've had for several years - maybe I'm not arthritic after all!!!!

ann

DavidTO wrote:
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Annnnnnddd ... ??? Since when has anybody placed much stock in what the federal government says ... (especially in the last six years.)
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    sigh....

From the New York Times....

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/...-another-test/

I find myself constantly amazed by how intense arguments about what people eat can get and how much bad information there is out there that people latch on to (which you can see in that article and, of course, in the comments to it). It seems to me that a lot of the ire is directed towards vegetarians and vegans. Any mention from a vegan to a meat eater about the benefits of being a vegan is like you kicked someone's baby or something. I'm not sure I get it. Where does that come from?

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Any mention from a vegan to a meat eater about the benefits of being a vegan is like you kicked someone's baby or something. I'm not sure I get it. Where does that come from?

I cant answer that for you atm mate...im laughing too much !
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I find myself constantly amazed by how intense arguments about what people eat can get and how much bad information there is out there that people latch on to (which you can see in that article and, of course, in the comments to it). It seems to me that a lot of the ire is directed towards vegetarians and vegans. Any mention from a vegan to a meat eater about the benefits of being a vegan is like you kicked someone's baby or something. I'm not sure I get it. Where does that come from?

Similar to someone stating Canon is better than Nikon ... or Nikon is better than Canon ... really triggers an emotional and less than rational response.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Similar to someone stating Canon is better than Nikon ... or Nikon is better than Canon ... really triggers an emotional and less than rational response.
    Or even worse, Apple vs. MS...:hide

I think the common denominator here is when one group is perceived to be sanctimonious about it - the other side takes offense and then it's on.:duelI think some vegans got that rap (deserved or not) and it got generalized to all vegans in many people's minds.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I'm on my way to Boston for a few days on business. And so I'm thinking about the fresh veggies in the fridge whose freshness is already fading and will be past the point of using by Friday when I return.

So I put everything I could find in a pot on the stove - zuchinni, bell peppers, celery, tomatoes, baby carrots, hot peppers, cilantro - along with a bunch of onion, garlic, basil, oregano, tyme, and bay leaves. Covered with water and some cooking wine. Cooked it for a few hours. Then used a Braun Hand Blender (chef Emeril calls it a "boat motor") on the concoction - until it became a orang'ish colored soup.
    For having no recipe, it tasted pretty yummy! Dr Fuhrman would be proudthumb.gif And I can't imagine how much fiber I consumed - might be dangerous on my flight later tonight:help
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    More recipes and photos please!!!!
    I tried Andy's recipe last night, and since he provided a visual, I was actually able to make it correctly.

It was really easy and filling, albeit a bit bland. When I reheated leftovers today I added some tomato/basil marinara sauce and it was yummmmyyy. :food
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers