Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I've been making similar dishes - sautee peppers, broccoli, onions, etc in a skillet and then add some no sugar pasta sauce over it until heated. Serve over whole wheat pasta or - my favorite - over brown rice. The rice absorbs the flavors nicely. Quick, easy and gooooood.

Try this sauce if you can find it; Gia Russa Artichoke pasta sauce - a little pricey but delicious.thumb.gif

185745298-M.jpg
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    often I use a good sauce as a base ... then add fresh tomatoes, onions, et cetera and wine ... really comes out good (tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, et al are all from my back yard ... working on the wine - lol - just have some Thompson Seedless right now ... gotta expand the vineyard.)

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 21, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I saw that and spent some time looking into it to understand it better. Turns out these are overweight middle-aged women who got that way by eating a diet of processed foods and meat, which they love.

In the Atkins diet, they had to abandon pastries, cake, cookies, etc., a very good thing. And it wasn't too hard for them to do because they could substitute other foods they've loved all their lives, such as burgers.

They weren't very successful at following Dean Ornish's diet because it goes further than cutting out cookies. You also give up cheeseburgers. So these women didn't follow his diet well, which the researchers acknowledged in their report.

Personally, I think Atkins is good at cutting out junk carbohydrates, which is a step forward.

But I am not these women. I am successful at cutting out cheeseburgers. With the help of Dr. Fuhrman, my tastes have changed and I don't crave either junk carbs or junk protein and fat. And I enjoy veggies now.

And that I think is the real key to losing lots of weight and keeping it off: changing your palette.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Whole foods market's web site has some non-dairy vegetarian recipes.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Alright, so today I heard a radio commercial for sugar, yes, sugar. Am I the only one that finds that ridiculous? I immediately thought of this thread and all you healthy people.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Baldy...your post disappeared headscratch.gif How do you go eating a sweet apple then ? I would eat 4 or 5 apples a day & even though im a sweet tooth, some of them are like licking a sugar bowl.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Apparently, the FDA has altered the food pyramid, approving seconds.

"Larger portions could entirely eliminate the need to reach over, pass dishes, or get out of a chair," said clinical nutritionist Gary Bergen of Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, who estimates that millions of calories and thousands of hours of eating time are wasted annually by making unnecessary second-serving trips. "I find it ironic that the FDA has approved seconds, yet still hasn't standardized the dollop."
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Apparently, the FDA has altered the food pyramid, approving seconds.
    Fancy letting someone else authorise you to eat more...martydom.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 24, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Fancy letting someone else authorise you to eat more...martydom.

martydom ?

187549119-M.png

lol3.giflol3.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    martydom ?

lol3.giflol3.gif

rolleyes1.gif He would need a septor & crown.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    MMMmmmm

188691014-L.jpg

Recipe, here.

:eat

:food
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    So the little National Health Care clinic (UK nationalized health care thumb.gif) has a weekly baby checkup thing. You take your kid in, get them weighed, check their height, and ask questions. It's run by health visitors which, as far as I understand it, are nurse-trained midwives who have a limited ability to write perscriptions. They only see children.

So we went in and got William weighed and measured his height and started asking questions about things but I made it clear to Beth that I wanted to avoid discussing nutrition since I'm pretty sure we'd get bad advice anyhow. One question Beth had is that he doesn't like drinking milk from anything but her breasts. She was wondering if we need to fight with him to get him milk from a cup during the day or if he can get enough in the morning and evening when she's home.

The health visitor's answer was that he needs dairy and that if he won't take her milk from a cup then we need to find a way to get dairy to him. She suggested cooking things up with a bunch of butter or giving him cream. eek7.gifhuheek7.gif I couldn't believe it. Why don't I just give the boy chocolate and ice cream while I'm at it? I let her know that we're not planning on doing that and that he's only eating plant-based foods. She was like "He needs his fats. How is he going to get his fats from plants?" Very accusatory actually. I said, "Well legumes, avocadoes, leafy greens, and others that I can't think of right now." She wasn't too pleased with that and said that those weren't really "fats."

W.
    T.
    F?!?!?!

Seriously, now I know for sure that I won't be bringing up diet to any doctor any time soon.

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Mike, it is true that fat is a crucial component in healthy brain development. Stick to the whole food, plant-based diet, but give your toddler plenty of fat. I forget the age that it starts to matter less, but I think it was 6.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Breastmilk has plenty of healthy fat, and if your boy is growing and thriving then his mama's body has worked out the details to the satisfaction of everyone who matters mwink.gif. Same being true of protein FWIW, as that is likely to come up in the next visit rolleyes1.gif. Though you're getting to the age where you may be better off leaving that little tidbit out as well.

I like to give the kids avocados. We also found tahini to be a good source of fat, found easily enough or easily shipped at any rate. We baked or bought whole wheat crackers and just used the tahini as spread. We don't have any history of allergies but I still preferred to avoid peanut butter, though that may be another option if you think William is old enough. Any kind of nut butter really, almond or cashew or etc.

Flax oil, too. Easy enough to mix into smoothies or anything really. Add to salads or drizzled over steamed/stirfry'd veggies.

Coconut, too, though that is REALLY fatty. I grew up eating this concoction my grandma made and it's been hard to pass up as an adult who most certainly does NOT need the added fats lol. Just shaved coconut meat, baked in the oven and eaten like chips. Or maybe even just use coconut shavings over oatmeal or cookies or something.
  • Options
    kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    try to eat chicken soup with well cooked bones
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Mike, it is true that fat is a crucial component in healthy brain development. Stick to the whole food, plant-based diet, but give your toddler plenty of fat. I forget the age that it starts to matter less, but I think it was 6.
    Yup, I agree about the fat. But I don't agree that he should get that fat from cream and butter. I was just amazed that was the advice she gave.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    Breastmilk has plenty of healthy fat, and if your boy is growing and thriving then his mama's body has worked out the details to the satisfaction of everyone who matters mwink.gif. Same being true of protein FWIW, as that is likely to come up in the next visit rolleyes1.gif. Though you're getting to the age where you may be better off leaving that little tidbit out as well.

I like to give the kids avocados. We also found tahini to be a good source of fat, found easily enough or easily shipped at any rate. We baked or bought whole wheat crackers and just used the tahini as spread. We don't have any history of allergies but I still preferred to avoid peanut butter, though that may be another option if you think William is old enough. Any kind of nut butter really, almond or cashew or etc.

Flax oil, too. Easy enough to mix into smoothies or anything really. Add to salads or drizzled over steamed/stirfry'd veggies.

Coconut, too, though that is REALLY fatty. I grew up eating this concoction my grandma made and it's been hard to pass up as an adult who most certainly does NOT need the added fats lol. Just shaved coconut meat, baked in the oven and eaten like chips. Or maybe even just use coconut shavings over oatmeal or cookies or something.
    Really great suggestions stir fry thanks!

• Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Really great suggestions stir fry thanks!

iloveyou.gif My pleasure.

And I'll have you know that I just called my grandmother to ask her what temp I need to bake the coconut chips. I've got the taste for that now, and dang it if I didn't just gain 10lbs dreamin' of it from then to now! lol
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    She suggested cooking things up with a bunch of butter or giving him cream.
    two_fat_ladies_270.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    iloveyou.gif My pleasure.

And I'll have you know that I just called my grandmother to ask her what temp I need to bake the coconut chips. I've got the taste for that now, and dang it if I didn't just gain 10lbs dreamin' of it from then to now! lol
    And the proper temp is? ear.gif:D

• Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    And the proper temp is? ear.gif:D

350F for ~10 minutes thumb.gif

I couldn't find a decent coconut at the grocery store just now so I've asked my brother to swing by his and see if he has better luck. He asked what made me remember eating that :D and says now he wants some, too lol.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 30, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    So the little National Health Care clinic (UK nationalized health care thumb.gif) has a weekly baby checkup thing. You take your kid in, get them weighed, check their height, and ask questions. It's run by health visitors which, as far as I understand it, are nurse-trained midwives who have a limited ability to write perscriptions. They only see children.

So we went in and got William weighed and measured his height and started asking questions about things but I made it clear to Beth that I wanted to avoid discussing nutrition since I'm pretty sure we'd get bad advice anyhow. One question Beth had is that he doesn't like drinking milk from anything but her breasts. She was wondering if we need to fight with him to get him milk from a cup during the day or if he can get enough in the morning and evening when she's home.

The health visitor's answer was that he needs dairy and that if he won't take her milk from a cup then we need to find a way to get dairy to him. She suggested cooking things up with a bunch of butter or giving him cream. eek7.gifhuheek7.gif I couldn't believe it. Why don't I just give the boy chocolate and ice cream while I'm at it? I let her know that we're not planning on doing that and that he's only eating plant-based foods. She was like "He needs his fats. How is he going to get his fats from plants?" Very accusatory actually. I said, "Well legumes, avocadoes, leafy greens, and others that I can't think of right now." She wasn't too pleased with that and said that those weren't really "fats."

W.
    T.
    F?!?!?!

Seriously, now I know for sure that I won't be bringing up diet to any doctor any time soon.

I HATE the state of health care!!! You realize doctors (in the US anyway) only receive the equivalent of 8 hours of nutritiional training? PATHETIC!!!

Isn't it funny that God was so smart to make every single one of his creatures on this earth capable of weening from mother's milk, but too stupid to do the same for humans? Is that even possible?

Funny when you think, humans are the ONLY species on this planet that freely ingest the milk of another animal and do so beyond weening.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    Angelo wrote:

That's funny because I linked my husband to that website awhile back and told him we could now share in the nighttime duties rolleyes1.gif

he declined lol. ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    That's funny because I linked my husband to that website awhile back and told him we could now share in the nighttime duties rolleyes1.gif

he declined lol. ne_nau.gif

eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    lol3.gif I think I would have to shave my chest first. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to latch on.

See, that's not what you wanted to hear was it? mwink.gif

• Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    Funny when you think, humans are the ONLY species on this planet that freely ingest the milk of another animal and do so beyond weening.

I was actually dumbfounded when I read in The China Study that Type-1 Diabetes was linked to kids being put on cow's milk to soon.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Okay, so I have not read the China Study..maybe I will while on the shootout.

Anyway, I'd really like to see that data, and a definition of 'too soon'. My son is type 1 diabetic and I have done ALOT of reading about diabetes. My kids all had breast milk well past 6 months, and no cows milk before a year - actually later than that IIRC.
    Phil U. wrote:
    I was actually dumbfounded when I read in The China Study that Type-1 Diabetes was linked to kids being put on cow's milk to soon.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Okay, so I have not read the China Study..maybe I will while on the shootout.

Anyway, I'd really like to see that data, and a definition of 'too soon'. My son is type 1 diabetic and I have done ALOT of reading about diabetes. My kids all had breast milk well past 6 months, and no cows milk before a year - actually later than that IIRC.
    Ann, the way I remember it (it was only a couple weeks ago that I read it eek7.gif) it wasn't that it was too soon, it was that kids were on cows milk at all. Very scary stuff IMHO.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    lol3.gif I think I would have to shave my chest first. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to latch on.

See, that's not what you wanted to hear was it? mwink.gif

TMI
    eek7.gifne_nau.gifhuh