Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I admit I haven't read the China Study, so I don't know if the answer is in there. But does anyone add protein powder to their fruit smoothies? I have read the stuff on soy, but I actually used the whey based stuff sometimes in the past.

But as a male in my mid forties, is there really any need to? I eat plenty of nuts and vegetables. If not protein, any other supplements? I haven't for a while, and it doesn't seem like I should.

I use 1 - 3 table spoons of Myoplex in mine if I am or have just worked out or I am spending a day or so hiking and getting way more exercise than on a normal work week.....now my smoothies consist of 1 apple, 1 nectraine 1/2 cup frozen berry mix (blk berries, red raspberries, and blue berries: no sugar added type) 5 large strawberries (frozen NSA also) 2 plums, 5 or 6 baby spinach leaves a little stevia to sweeten...but no milk of any kind.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    5 or 6 baby spinach leaves

Hah! Wuss. If it's fresh spinach I'm using, it's a big handful, if it's frozen, I'm pouring in about 4 oz. (out of a 16 oz. bag) :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Here is more information about protein powders. Long story short, you don't need them.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 7, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I found this about lactose....
    I read Chris Carmichael's (Lance's coach's) book about sports nutrition and was surprised by two things:

1. He said ingesting lactose is like placing wet newspapers over burning logs in the fireplace. It makes digestion very sluggish.

2. Athletes get too much protein in their diets. He invariably has to cut the protein content of their diets back to get to peak performance, and not just for cyclists--also for big guys who play in the NFL.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 8, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    I read Chris Carmichael's (Lance's coach's) book about sports nutrition and was surprised by two things:

1. He said ingesting lactose is like placing wet newspapers over burning logs in the fireplace. It makes digestion very sluggish.

2. Athletes get too much protein in their diets. He invariably has to cut the protein content of their diets back to get to peak performance, and not just for cyclists--also for big guys who play in the NFL.

I reiterate, humans are the only species on Earth to ingest milk beyond weening. Why do you think that is?

I've never heard of a lion with heartburn. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    I reiterate, humans are the only species on Earth to ingest milk beyond weening. Why do you think that is?

I've never heard of a lion with heartburn. rolleyes1.gif
    I drank a litre with breakfast this morning :andy and half that again tonight.

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaand i will do it again tomorrow probably.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I drank a litre with breakfast this morning :andy and half that again tonight.

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaand i will do it again tomorrow probably.

...aaaaaaaaand I still love my ice cream. Doesn't mean I'm not aware of the health risks associated with the behavior.

I don't know your age or how long you've indulged in this dietary practice but certainly genetics and your extreme physical work style may contribute to saving you from severe problems such as (and I would never wish this on my worst enemy) kidney stones and liver disease.

My God-son, an extremely healthy, active, football playing teenager, would drink quarts of ice cold milk in a blink and did it often...

at 17 he had a kidney removed as a result. not good!
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2007
    I've seen a lot of articles from Dr. Stephen Byrnes on the dangers of a vegetarian diet and the benefits of milk and butter (as opposed to margarine). One teaching he's famous for is:

Are Saturated Fats Really Dangerous For You?
    By Stephen Byrnes, PhD, RNCP

Myth #6: Saturated fats and dietary cholesterol cause heart disease, atherosclerosis, and/or cancer, and low-fat, low-cholesterol diets are healthier for people.

The thing is the first symptom of heart disease is sudden death for 50% of people who have it, which tragically happened to Dr. Byrnes at age 45.

I know you can't draw many conclusions on population studies of one, but seeing veggie (+ some fish) man and exercise enthusiast Jack LaLanne fit and fabulous at 94, while Dr. Byrnes dropped at 45, makes you wonder.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    I don't know your age or how long you've indulged in this dietary practice but certainly genetics and your extreme physical work style may contribute to saving you from severe problems such as (and I would never wish this on my worst enemy) kidney stones and liver disease.

How does growing up on a farm sound ? I think we drank more than we sold.
    Personally i think genetics weighs in far more than most realise. My last 3 generations ate huge amounts of meat & fats with very little fruit & veg only because they lived on a dirt farm..not by choice. We all ate the worst foods a dietition would see in their worst of worse nightmares. Stuff like bread & dripping sandwiches (the fat left over from the cooked meat) they all die at around 90 with not one single case of cancer or heart disease ever in any of them. That said...everyone in the place where i grew up ate like that....there was no other choice.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2007
    gus wrote:
    How does growing up on a farm sound ? I think we drank more than we sold.
    Personally i think genetics weighs in far more than most realise. My last 3 generations ate huge amounts of meat & fats with very little fruit & veg only because they lived on a dirt farm..not by choice. We all ate the worst foods a dietition would see in their worst of worse nightmares. Stuff like bread & dripping sandwiches (the fat left over from the cooked meat) they all die at around 90 with not one single case of cancer or heart disease ever in any of them. That said...everyone in the place where i grew up ate like that....there was no other choice.
    You're a very lucky man. It's probably a result of genetics and maybe exercise, loving the lifestyle, and the fact that the meat you eat isn't like the Coke and burgers we wash down here.

Having said that, a friend of ours just died at 88 who smoked heavily all his life, ate poorly, hated his job as prison guard, and didn't exercise. His wife is still healthy at that age, but all their children have had heart bypasses or have died of liver diseease, cancer, etc.

I'm like the vast majority of people who don't have genetics of steel and would already be gone if I lived like that.
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2007
    Just got back from cholesterol screening at Stanford... I've had a really rough time gettiing it under control. Many doctors say their patients have a tough time reducing cholesterol if they don't drop weight, so the person who doesn't have much weight to lose is in a very difficult position.

About 5 years ago I lost 40 pounds through exercise but unfortnately, my cholesterol didn't drop.

I hope today's test was accurate because it says my cholesterol has dropped 52 points over the last 14 months of eating this way and my triglycerides have dropped by more than half, to 79.
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Just got back from cholesterol screening at Stanford... I've had a really rough time gettiing it under control. Many doctors say their patients have a tough time reducing cholesterol if they don't drop weight, so the person who doesn't have much weight to lose is in a very difficult position.

About 5 years ago I lost 40 pounds through exercise but unfortnately, my cholesterol didn't drop.

I hope today's test was accurate because it says my cholesterol has dropped 52 points over the last 14 months of eating this way and my triglycerides have dropped by more than half, to 79.

FANTASTIC!!!! Congratulations.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    Congratulations Baldy, wonderful news. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Bless you.

I just made this (with extra tomatoes because Scott's not a huge vinegar fan) and it was yummy. I threw in some fresh basil and a bit of garlic as well.

Because it had no oil, it was a breeze to clean up the Vitamix afterwards. And, I could go down on a big bowl of greens without a care in the world. clap.gif

-Anne

I altered this, and I like it a lot. I just threw a big glop or two of my homemade hummus into it. Yummy. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    I just caught this thread, and no, I did not read the whole thing yet, but I will! The most important fact in life being HEALTH which always in my book has been playing a role into the physical and mental health for sure...
    Maybe this thread will wake me up again, specially finally at 59 doing for the past year what I set out to do full time, but could only do it about 6 months of the year for the past 18 years... living on the road!
    Of course it was interrupted when I was 47 by 5 bypasses following many heart attacks, the big one about 50 miles off shore when living on my sailboat! Calm seas with glass like surface and a full moon (NO... I did not take pictures!!!) where the witnesses and after cutting my lines loosing two nice Fortress anchors (who cared... right?) made it back to shore where an ambulance was waiting...
    Triglycerides?... so high the machine would not record it... cholesterol... I am still on 80mg Lipitor... The price to pay for genetics and being an upscale Chef for 40 years!!! I was a strict vegan for 8 years... and this China articles intrigues me... I cook for myself... I don't eat out... maybe it is time again...

That is great news Baldy! I truly need to get off my %$#@!!!

Be well...

Ara... and Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    BeemerChef wrote:
    I just caught this thread, and no, I did not read the whole thing yet, but I will! The most important fact in life being HEALTH which always in my book has been playing a role into the physical and mental health for sure...
    Maybe this thread will wake me up again, specially finally at 59 doing for the past year what I set out to do full time, but could only do it about 6 months of the year for the past 18 years... living on the road!
    Of course it was interrupted when I was 47 by 5 bypasses following many heart attacks, the big one about 50 miles off shore when living on my sailboat! Calm seas with glass like surface and a full moon (NO... I did not take pictures!!!) where the witnesses and after cutting my lines loosing two nice Fortress anchors (who cared... right?) made it back to shore where an ambulance was waiting...
    Triglycerides?... so high the machine would not record it... cholesterol... I am still on 80mg Lipitor... The price to pay for genetics and being an upscale Chef for 40 years!!! I was a strict vegan for 8 years... and this China articles intrigues me... I cook for myself... I don't eat out... maybe it is time again...

That is great news Baldy! I truly need to get off my %$#@!!!

Be well...

Ara... and Spirit

Oooh a chef with experience being vegan? Welcome! mwink.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Oooh a chef with experience being vegan? Welcome! mwink.gif

-Anne
    Oh, Anne, little do you know... Ara is a chef extraordinairre and it was nearly our honor to have him cater your wedding reception. I have never seen more beautiful desserts than he creates. He's a major celebrity at ADVrider, currently riding his bike on the trip of a lifetime.

Ara, how great it is to see you here. PM me an address where I can send a copy of the China Study and a surprise book to you and it will be done. Just tell me when you'll be at that address so I can get them there on time.

And nice pic on ADVrider's slideshow front page:

195677235-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2007

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    Bump to be #500! thumb.gif

It's been just over 10 weeks and I'm down 13lbs to 194 on my way to 175. Continued thanks to Baldy, Andy, Anne, Sitrfry and everyone who has contributed here and helps keep me on track.

We have switched baby formula to Alimentum which contains broken down proteins. We mentioned it to our pediatrician and she suggested just a soy-based one because Alimentum "is so expensive". Based on my experience with soy milk though, we are going to stick with Alimentum.
  • Options
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Bump to be #500! thumb.gif

It's been just over 10 weeks and I'm down 13lbs to 194 on my way to 175. Continued thanks to Baldy, Andy, Anne, Sitrfry and everyone who has contributed here and helps keep me on track.

We have switched baby formula to Alimentum which contains broken down proteins. We mentioned it to our pediatrician and she suggested just a soy-based one because Alimentum "is so expensive". Based on my experience with soy milk though, we are going to stick with Alimentum.

Congratulations clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Wow!
    Wow is right! Lemme see if I can return the favor:

32665175.jpg

LINK
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    Well, after staying up waaaaaaay toooooo late reading this entire thread (well, probably 95% of it), I'm inspired once again! I've never even looked at this thread until last night. Who knew I could gain inspiration and encouragement about health and fitness at my favorite photography forum??

Here's my story...was active and fit in my younger school days, got married and we both put on the pounds, in Sept '99 I began a weight loss program that cut out white flour, white sugar, included healthy fats and we also cut waaaay back on dairy (just cheese sometimes when we were out of the house)...I lost 52 pounds in 5 months and felt great. At the same time, I began running again, just three times a week at first, with lots of walking in the mix too. By the end of those 5 months I was up to comfortably running 12 miles. I had tried just the exercise alone before (not really watching what I ate), but it didn't work. The healthier eating gave me more energy and provided the all important variable that balanced my equation! One year after I began that program, I ran the Portland Marathon in 3:41:09, missing qualifying for Boston by 10 seconds (all because of a bathroom break at mile 2 rolleyes1.gif ). Two months later I was pregnant and I had a fantastic pregnancy and delivery. When my son was about 5 months old, I became diligent again to lose those extra 15 pounds. Then began my struggles...

Switching to working outside the home to being a SAHM really changed my routines. Each year became more difficult to keep it off. Then some personal crises ocurred and I really let it get to me and I kinda gave up the battle. Now I would like to lose 50-60 pounds...again...and never have to do this again! I really believe in life-time habits and not crash dieting. My husband is a voracious reader and has read a few of the books or authors mentioned in this thread, but Eat To Live and The China Study are on our library list right now!

OK...I tend to go a little longer than I mean to sometimes. Anyway, I just wanted to jump in and say thanks to those who have shared their journey. I've been encouraged to fight the good fight once again. I know it works, I know it feels great, I know I do not feel great right now. Onward!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    clap.gifThat's great Elaine, it all starts with...starting! Good for you, welcome to the club!
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Wow is right! Lemme see if I can return the favor:

32665175.jpg

LINK

:eek1:oogle:eat

• Options
    edited September 27, 2007
    Back in April I got a physical and had my cholesterol checked. I don't remember all the specifics, but I do remember that the total was 200. :eek

I've only been doing the whole china study thing hard core for the past 2.5 weeks (it was too much of a pain to start before we were travelling to the states for 2 months so I started when we got here). Yesterday, there was a blood drive and they gave you a number to call the following day and they would tell you your cholesterol level.

Mine is now 150 :ivarwings.gifivarwings.gif

Before we got to the states, there was no way it was lower than when I got it checked in April. If anything it was probably higher. So in the past 2.5 weeks I dropped at least 50 points on my total cholesterol level!

So Baldy, thank you thank you thank you!

• Options
    edited September 27, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Mine is now 150

That's awesome MIke!clap.gif
  • Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2007
    I really don't like pasta very much but can handle just about everything else.
    Oh yeah, bananas and egg plant make me queasy, believe me, I've tried. I've been taking lunch on the road at Thai or Vietnamese joints and have done really good at ordering the healthy stuff. I am a chicken addict but only eat beef about once a week in the form of a very lean top choice fillet. I don't eat fried or wings, just roast in various forms. I just need to knock off the snacks, ice cream, cookies, candy bars and so on. I'm looking forward to getting to the next step. I do lots of kayaking and the days that I do are the days that I eat the best, I pack water, granola bars, p&j sandwich, orange/apple/grapes etc. We'll see how it goes on further improving the intake. deal.gif

It's been 1 1/2 month, lost 10 lbs so far and had a cast on my arm during that time so I wasn't exercising much. Junk food intake has come to a halt. Only eating as healthy as possible, still have to have some good fish a couple of times a month. I've all but lost my taste for beef amd pork but don't know if I'll ever give up baked rosemary chicken. I feel great so far and have finally convinced my wife that she needs to get with the program. It sure helps when your housemate finally understands what you're trying to do. Seems like it's helped my attitude at work, a nice side affect.

Was real nice to get the cast off so I could go do this last Sunday morning.

199437742-L-2.jpg
  • Options
    It's been 1 1/2 month, lost 10 lbs so far and had a cast on my arm during that time so I wasn't exercising much. Junk food intake has come to a halt. Only eating as healthy as possible, still have to have some good fish a couple of times a month. I've all but lost my taste for beef amd pork but don't know if I'll ever give up baked rosemary chicken. I feel great so far and have finally convinced my wife that she needs to get with the program. It sure helps when your housemate finally understands what you're trying to do. Seems like it's helped my attitude at work, a nice side affect.

Way to go! I was amazed that my tastes changed so quickly too - thumb.gif
  • Options
    For me, the first 20 lbs. came off easily...I lost the first 20 in 6 weeks.

Then it slowed down some. I've lost another 7 in the 4 weeks since.

I'm waiting until it's been 6 months before I get my blood tested. I forget all the numbers, but I know that my total cholesterol was 205, high normal.

I'm just over 6'1", and I started at 210. Hoping to get down to 170. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Mine is now 150 :ivarwings.gifivarwings.gif
    What a great achievement, Mike!

The head of the Framington Heart Study, conducted since 1948 on 5,000 men, said in the history of the study, no one whose total cholesterol was below 150 had ever had a heart attack. Since he made that statement, many cardiologists have weighed in, including the current president of the American College of Cardiology, saying they have never seen one either.

He also said that 90-95% of North Americans can get their total below 150 by eating a plant-based diet and without drugs. Contrast that to statin drugs, which have side effects, having a 30% success rate at preventing heart attacks.

More details.