Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    Put this togeather today and ordered the first 100 today. I do plan to keep experimenting in the quest.
    83323066-L.jpg

Great looking card but... Photography only has one r.
    And...
    To open a whole new can of worms:
    Make sure you have all of your releases signed, i.e.:
    The rider, the race team, and especially, Honda.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    lol See what happens when one does not check his work. Thank You. As for the releases I have found that a free 8 x 10 works real good with the rider and team, Honda I not going to worry about as these are only going to be handed out to a small group and not in publications.
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    As for the releases I have found that a free 8 x 10 works real good with the rider and team, Honda I not going to worry about as these are only going to be handed out to a small group and not in publications.

I do the same. It was basically a heads up in case and for those who didn't think of it.
    Personally, I think it is good free advertising for them. However, some companies are more protective of their name than others.

Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Thank You, Just corrected the order. That was a good laugh for a Sunday morning. I hope that is why we are all here, to learn and get input from others. Rod
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    Brookes' PhotographyBrookes' Photography Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 23, 2006
    My Cards
    I get my business cards printed at iPrint.com. Great site for cards you have designed or they have templates too.

http://www.dgrin.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13947&stc=1&d=1153681881[/IMG]
  • Options
    camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    JBurt wrote:
    Make sure you have all of your releases signed, i.e.:
    The rider, the race team, and especially, Honda.
    I beg to differ. The rider is performing at a public event and the shot is newsworthy. Fair use. The use on the business card, while promotional, may not meet the bar of commercial use, and would surely cost more to prosecute than the rider or team cares to spend on a case that is far from a slam dunk. Finally, no release is needed from Honda unless the new trademark protection law is passed, and that seems less than likely due to intense lobbying by many professional groups.

In summary: I do not see this shot as one that needs a release from any party provided it is not used commercially. And it is to note that selling prints is often not considered commercial use per se.

This is, however, not legal advice. Just being conversational.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    I need a new business card. My old one had addresses and phone numbers and yadda yadda. That's no good for a guy married to a military girl. Plus I want to start emphasizing the fact that I'm doing more than photography (well I'm trying to do more than photography anyhow). And yes, I agree I shouldn't be giving this card out until my page is all set up (which it isn't).

Anyhow rip it to shreds, it's just a first doodling. Help me by not giving me a s%$t sandwich, just give it to me straight. What is good about it? What is bad about it? Scream at me and tell me I'm terrible at this whole design thing if that's what it takes. If it's praiseworthy I could always use some of that too :uhoh

Anywho, here it is.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I need a new business card. My old one had addresses and phone numbers and yadda yadda. That's no good for a guy married to a military girl. Plus I want to start emphasizing the fact that I'm doing more than photography (well I'm trying to do more than photography anyhow). And yes, I agree I shouldn't be giving this card out until my page is all set up (which it isn't).

Anyhow rip it to shreds, it's just a first doodling. Help me by not giving me a s%$t sandwich, just give it to me straight. What is good about it? What is bad about it? Scream at me and tell me I'm terrible at this whole design thing if that's what it takes. If it's praiseworthy I could always use some of that too :uhoh

Anywho, here it is.

Mike...it sucks...really it does for me anyway. I like to look at a something on a biz card..anything but you have nothing there mate. It looks like something a building company would have used in the 80's not a photographer that has the talent you have for gods sake. I cant help you with ideas except that you can do a lot better mate.

.....you want sugar with that ?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    Put this togeather today and ordered the first 100 today. I do plan to keep experimenting in the quest.
    83425376-L.jpg
    I like that...its not what i would do but i certainly like it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    gus wrote:
    It looks like something a building company would have used in the 80's not a photographer that has the talent you have for gods sake.

That's all the sugar that I need :D

• Options
    NutterNutter Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    I guess I'll throw mine up

These are for my production company, the photo business ones are still in development. Front / Back. Yes I know my flatbed scanner is dirty. :):

buscard.jpg
    Being successful is a relative term. Relative to you and only you.--Ricky Lankford

Take a Peek!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 24, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I need a new business card.

This one doesn't work for me. The "M/L" logo thing just doesn't draw my
    attention. If you want to go with a minimalist look for the plain background,
    I think that'd be great. I guess the logo thing is kinda cheezy looking ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    I beg to differ. The rider is performing at a public event and the shot is newsworthy. Fair use.
    True if it is used in a news format.
    cambler wrote:
    The use on the business card, while promotional, may not meet the bar of commercial use, and would surely cost more to prosecute than the rider or team cares to spend on a case that is far from a slam dunk. Finally, no release is needed from Honda unless the new trademark protection law is passed, and that seems less than likely due to intense lobbying by many professional groups.
    I agree with the time and expense and 99% of the time it doesn't matter. But, put a photo of Mickey or the Magic Kingdom on your card and let it get into the wrong hands and see what happens. Disney doesn't care what the expense is.
    cambler wrote:
    In summary: I do not see this shot as one that needs a release from any party provided it is not used commercially. And it is to note that selling prints is often not considered commercial use per se.
    I believe you will find a business card is a commercial use of an image. You are using the image to sell a product and/or service.
    cambler wrote:
    This is, however, not legal advice. Just being conversational.
    Ditto thumb.gif

Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Mike, as far as the logo goes, I think it is fine. You'll find that a lot of well designed and recognized logos (e.g., IBM, McDonalds, etc.) are quite simple and yours meets that criteria; however, these logos are recognizable in large part because of the marketing of the brand over time. You don't have that in your favor.

Your card doesn't tell me anything about what you do. Dance studio, artist studio, photography studio, music studio, etc.? I think you need to figure out what you're trying to target and make that the primary element of your card. Keep the logo and shrink it in size (making it a non-primary element) or put it on the reverse.

You also need to capitalize the S in your e-mail address to be consistent with the url you're showing as part of your logo.

For what it's worth...
    Pat
  • Options
    Ariel BravyAriel Bravy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 25, 2006
    Hey guys, first post here. Looks like a great forum! Here's my card:

businesscard2.jpg
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Wow Ariel, that is indeed a wonderful photo.

I'd suggest using your wonderfulphoto domain for your e-mail address as well.
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    I'll sheepishly offer mine for C&C...
    Ariel,

That is an outstanding image...thumb.gif

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    JMichaelJMichael Registered Users Posts: 13 Beginner grinner
    edited July 26, 2006
    A few observations as someone who both designs and does large print runs of business cards for a living...

Be careful how hard you make a potential customer work. We live in an information economy. Thanks to powerful search engines and even opening up a phone book in a good size city... a potential client has hundreds if not thousands of other choices.

If you want a clean sleek front to your business card with minimal visual clutter... consider doing a double sided card with pertinent contact information presented neatly on the back and the front of the card more of a showcase of your photo(s)

Andy mentioned that he writes his number down on the back to increase the interaction time with the potential client. Thats a fine way to do things, but the key is he makes sure the client -gets the information.-

I'm not going to critique actual designs here, because honestly I find unrequested criticism really tacky and opinions are pretty cheap and worthless on the internet. If you like your card, if it suits your needs, and if it is getting you contacts from people... it does its job.

I will say... make -sure- you've got enough information on your card that you're potential client can reach you in an easy and comfortable way. Sure someone like me who has a home network, computers all over the house, computers at work, and high speed internet everywhere but his car will just punch in the website and look for the contact tab to get your info. -Most- people won't. In my experience getting clients both as a photographer and as a designer/printer you need to make it so easy for someone to contact you there is no reason for them -not- to do it.

I appreciate a clean simple business card, but make sure not to skimp on important contact info.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    JMichael wrote:
    A few observations as someone who both designs and does large print runs of business cards for a living...

Be careful how hard you make a potential customer work. We live in an information economy. Thanks to powerful search engines and even opening up a phone book in a good size city... a potential client has hundreds if not thousands of other choices.

If you want a clean sleek front to your business card with minimal visual clutter... consider doing a double sided card with pertinent contact information presented neatly on the back and the front of the card more of a showcase of your photo(s)

Andy mentioned that he writes his number down on the back to increase the interaction time with the potential client. Thats a fine way to do things, but the key is he makes sure the client -gets the information.-

I'm not going to critique actual designs here, because honestly I find unrequested criticism really tacky and opinions are pretty cheap and worthless on the internet. If you like your card, if it suits your needs, and if it is getting you contacts from people... it does its job.

I will say... make -sure- you've got enough information on your card that you're potential client can reach you in an easy and comfortable way. Sure someone like me who has a home network, computers all over the house, computers at work, and high speed internet everywhere but his car will just punch in the website and look for the contact tab to get your info. -Most- people won't. In my experience getting clients both as a photographer and as a designer/printer you need to make it so easy for someone to contact you there is no reason for them -not- to do it.

I appreciate a clean simple business card, but make sure not to skimp on important contact info.

wave.gif

Welcome to dgrin and thanks for the great info!

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    JMichael wrote:

You're probably not referring directly to my card, but you might as well be. In my case, it's not really a business card, as I don't do this as a business. It's more of a "I just redesigned my smugmug page and I should have a cool card to go with it that I can hand to friends and make myself feel important" card. :D

I wish you would comment, I'd love to hear what you have to say about some of these cards, and also about the level of critique already in this thread. I'm sure you can find a card somewhere in here where they asked for feedback! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    JMichaelJMichael Registered Users Posts: 13 Beginner grinner
    edited July 27, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

Welcome to dgrin and thanks for the great info!

DavidTO wrote:
    You're probably not referring directly to my card, but you might as well be. In my case, it's not really a business card, as I don't do this as a business. It's more of a "I just redesigned my smugmug page and I should have a cool card to go with it that I can hand to friends and make myself feel important" card. :D

I wish you would comment, I'd love to hear what you have to say about some of these cards, and also about the level of critique already in this thread. I'm sure you can find a card somewhere in here where they asked for feedback! :D

There is a huge difference between a business card that is meant to function simply as a calling card or for a specific purpose. I recently finished my student teaching and I've got a website specifically for educators, my students, and their parents. When I made business cards for my website I didn't want it to be a full blow business card with multiple means of contacting me. I wanted the card to do nothing more than provide visual interest and direct people to the website. Thus I copied the ultra simple CSS bar that I used at the top of the screen (which has the site name in it) and the -entire- card is simply a light blue band through the middle of the card with mysiteaddress.com in a darker blue text. No email, phone number or additional info. If they need that and I want to give it to them I write it on the back.

My cards for photography are a little more complex than just a simple band. I have a couple different card designs I use (not on this computer, I'll post a few later) one has nothing but clean black text on the front and the entire back is a photo... and another has a simple photo and my company name on the front and the indepth info on the back.

Two totally different cards for two totally different purposes.

As a side note... I have a friend who heads an anti-terrorist unit within the military. A few months ago he reached a level of training and classification that he was officially labeled as a "government asset" I made him a small run of cards that were simply his nickname and "Government Asset" centered on a marble cardstock business card. Great for handing out at the bar ;)
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    All of this "bla bla bla" going back and forth...
    JMichael wrote:

There is a huge difference between a business card that is meant to function simply as a calling card or for a specific purpose. I recently finished my student teaching and I've got a website specifically for educators, my students, and their parents. When I made business cards for my website I didn't want it to be a full blow business card with multiple means of contacting me. I wanted the card to do nothing more than provide visual interest and direct people to the website. Thus I copied the ultra simple CSS bar that I used at the top of the screen (which has the site name in it) and the -entire- card is simply a light blue band through the middle of the card with mysiteaddress.com in a darker blue text. No email, phone number or additional info. If they need that and I want to give it to them I write it on the back.

My cards for photography are a little more complex than just a simple band. I have a couple different card designs I use (not on this computer, I'll post a few later) one has nothing but clean black text on the front and the entire back is a photo... and another has a simple photo and my company name on the front and the indepth info on the back.

Two totally different cards for two totally different purposes.

As a side note... I have a friend who heads an anti-terrorist unit within the military. A few months ago he reached a level of training and classification that he was officially labeled as a "government asset" I made him a small run of cards that were simply his nickname and "Government Asset" centered on a marble cardstock business card. Great for handing out at the bar ;)

yet no one has commented on my card yet...rolleyes1.gif

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    R Johns wrote:
    yet no one has commented on my card yet...rolleyes1.gif

Russ
    Okay... (one of the mistakes I made on my original cards)

I deal with an older clientele. Older eyes often have a hard time seeing smaller print. When you get the card to size, the font and size of some of your print will be difficult for some people to read. Specifically your URL and community.

I have started putting my info on the white back in large black ariel print. (or arial whichever you have ne_nau.gif )

Nice sunset.

Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    I was beginning to feel a little unloved...
    JBurt wrote:
    Okay... (one of the mistakes I made on my original cards)

I deal with an older clientele. Older eyes often have a hard time seeing smaller print. When you get the card to size, the font and size of some of your print will be difficult for some people to read. Specifically your URL and community.

I have started putting my info on the white back in large black ariel print. (or arial whichever you have ne_nau.gif )

Nice sunset.

jk 1drink.gif

Anyway, I took your critique to heart and decided to do go with a double-sided card format. Here is what I came up with...

Business-Card_Front.jpg

Business-Card_Back.jpg

Thanks for taking your time JBert... I like this approach much better...nod.gif

Take care...

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    Por Nada
    Glad I could be of assistance Russ.
    I found leaving the back a light color and uncoated allows you or the customer to make notes on it.

I've been looking for a short concise description for my banner. Mind if I use "Commissioned Photography"?

Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    Again, great advice...
    JBurt wrote:
    Glad I could be of assistance Russ.
    I found leaving the back a light color and uncoated allows you or the customer to make notes on it.

I've been looking for a short concise description for my banner. Mind if I use "Commissioned Photography"?

I believe that my final design for the backside will be a yellow background and black text (keeping with the color theme), and no coating.

Thanks again... wave.gif

btw: if "commissioned photography" works for you, go for it...thumb.gif

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    NutterNutter Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    based on your comments Jmichael, how does my card (page 35) shape up?
    Being successful is a relative term. Relative to you and only you.--Ricky Lankford

Take a Peek!
  • Options
    Alaska shutterbugAlaska shutterbug Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Trying to decide which one to order
    So far I have only printed up my own business cards on Avery templates. I am going to order some soon. These are three I made, using the downloadable psd file from overnightprints.com. I am still leaning towards the first, but may print some of the others later. Which do you prefer and any changes I should make?

85059550-S.jpg

85064892-S.jpg

85059597-S.jpg

I'm probably going to order 2-sided cards with more information on the backside, including my photography focus, fees, print prices and email.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    So far I have only printed up my own business cards on Avery templates. I am going to order some soon. These are three I made, using the downloadable psd file from overnightprints.com. I am still leaning towards the first, but may print some of the others later. Which do you prefer and any changes I should make?

85059550-S.jpg

85064892-S.jpg

85059597-S.jpg

I'm probably going to order 2-sided cards with more information on the backside, including my photography focus, fees, print prices and email.
    Hi Kim
    If you choose the first one, you may as well eliminate your site address and phone number from the front. It is near impossible to read at this size. It will disappear when it is reduced to card size.

In fact if you are going to put your info on the back, I would eliminate it from all three samples and just leave your business name on the front.

On #1 it's hidden by the grass anyway. On #2 it would allow you to use larger images. On #3, to my eye, taking your web address and phone number out would make a more dramatic card. And again, the reduction in size will make it hard to read anyway.

My choice would be #3. Certainly catches the eye, tells a story, and showcases your talents. The only drawback is Overnite Prints converts to CMYK and has a problem matching high saturation reds and oranges. That alone may preclude your using the #3 sample.

Hope this helps.

Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    A Hard Choice...

85064892-S.jpg

Kim,

If your trying to convey "On Location" photography, than #2 says it best. In fact, I'm not sure that you would need to change a thing.

I've used that font before. It fits well with this card.

Very impressive...thumb.gif

Good luck with your endeavors...

Russ
    By Grace, alone...