Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    gouldphotogouldphoto Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    My Cards
    Just found this thread and thought I would share what I use to hand out.
    These are 4x6 and everyone always asks "I can keep this?". Nothing like handing out a photo to have people remember you.

77085311-L.jpg

and 1 for the motorcycle racers (newer version)

77085345-L.jpg

Steve Gould
    www.gouldphoto.com
  • Options
    AlkhemistAlkhemist Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    My card from 15 years ago.
    card.jpg
    Hand drawn old school card with raised printing. The original had a white background and my old phone number at the lower left. On many I colored in the pencil by hand. I actually registered the copyright. I'm working on one for my dphotography.
    Allen M.
    Alkhemist
    www.alkhemist.smugmug.com

"Photography is a medium of formidable contradictions. It is ridiculously easy and almost impossibly difficult." Edward Steichen
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    This is my current (old) card:

80053466-M.jpg

and this is what I'm working on for my new batch (there will be no border...it's going to bleed off and this is just the template without cropping):

80053465-M.jpg

I'm wanting a little more eye catching and memorable, but still simple. Any opinions? I also have to add the BBB logo, but I'm not sure that I want that on the front...on the back maybe? If I put that on the back, should I put all the text on the back and just have the image on the front?

For printers, I have used VistaPrint.com for my promotional items and they have always done a great job for me with great prices.

Thanks!
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    I have several diffrent ards. each card has a diffrent photo from my site on one site and the other clearly written out in black text my name and various other info. I'll scan one up and place it here for people to see.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
    BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • Options
    photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    business card...and other questions for Sam
    Hi Sam,
    Have started just reading through older threads...just to pick up any info I can....came across your business card....I love it!!!! As soon as I can figure it out, will show you mine.mwink.gif
    I'm still not able to upload any photos. I read through the threads where it tells you how...but the darn thing stops at "if your file is too big make it smaller." HOW DO I MAKE IT SMALLER!!!!!!! I'm getting so friggin' frustrated, I simply walked away from it.
    I read in one of the threads you can link it from your site and not worry about size....uh..headscratch.gif .well it falied due to size. Let me first say, I always shoot at the highest quality when taking pics. When I'm done with them in photoshop I save them at the highest. I'm just concerned about clarity, I guess. And get this...no one has ever ordered anything larger than a 16x20. But, damn was it clear!:):
    I downloaded a program called Irfvanview so, my kids can upload photos to their myspace website. (I'm careful about that...even created my own myspace page to be able to check on theirs naughty.gif )
    Anway...have not even figured that damn thing out....have no idea how I got my pic up here...oh wait, it doesn't show cuz I don't have a small enough size to upload an avatar(it only shows on my info page)....and what the heck does avatar meaneek7.gif
    BTW....got my new toy yesterday...bought the Canon 20D, Sigma (just could not spend 1600.00 right now on a lens alone!) 70-200 f2.8 lens and a variety of other things...
    Okay...I'm off...well we know I'm off...kid has a dentist appt.
    Hope to hear from you
    Mandi
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Sam wrote:
    Wow! Some great cards here, and I can really see the individual styles. Here is my ah...since i'm not in business, call it a contact card. My volume and use is such, that I just print them 8 up from PhotoShop as needed.

Sam
    Mandi :shay

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    your newer card
    clap.gif I LOVE LOVE LOVE that one, Sam!!!!!! I'm so into sepia!!!!!
    Mandi

Sam wrote:
    That's all I can say after viewing these great cards. After looking at your cards my orginal one started looking prety sad, so, with your modivation, I set out to improve on it.

Remember I don't have a business, so it's just an informal contact card.

Critiques welcome. :D

Thanks,

Sam

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    how do I get mine up?
    I love these......how can I get mine up???
    Mandi

landrum wrote:

80053466-M.jpg

and this is what I'm working on for my new batch (there will be no border...it's going to bleed off and this is just the template without cropping):

80053465-M.jpg

I'm wanting a little more eye catching and memorable, but still simple. Any opinions? I also have to add the BBB logo, but I'm not sure that I want that on the front...on the back maybe? If I put that on the back, should I put all the text on the back and just have the image on the front?

For printers, I have used VistaPrint.com for my promotional items and they have always done a great job for me with great prices.

Thanks!

• Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    my card
    did it come up???

• Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    I use...
    I use Vista print and love them! I just recently got the e-business card...so I'm able to attach it to every email I send out.
    Mandi

landrum wrote:

80053466-M.jpg

80053465-M.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    did it come up???

thumb.gif Very nice cardthumb.gif ...really like it........Is that the E-card from Vista Print?
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    yes...
    Art Scott wrote:
    thumb.gif Very nice cardthumb.gif ...really like it........Is that the E-card from Vista Print?

Yes, it is and it only cost 1.99 with my last order.
    The story behind this shot is cute...wanna hear it?
    Hey, your the one who sent the message! Thank you...I replied to it...was able to get this up the way I explained to you in the email...simply by clicking the browse button. Blew me away that it was actually there...clap.gif
    I've not been able to post other's but, will try it the way you explained...
    Mandi

• Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    just went to your site. You do AWESOME WORK!!!!!!!!!clap.gifthumb.gif
    I love the tree shots especially...very very nice!!! I'm sending someone to your site who loves this kind of photography...
    Mandi

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    Hi Sam,
    Have started just reading through older threads...just to pick up any info I can....came across your business card....I love it!!!! As soon as I can figure it out, will show you mine.mwink.gif
    I'm still not able to upload any photos. I read through the threads where it tells you how...but the darn thing stops at "if your file is too big make it smaller." HOW DO I MAKE IT SMALLER!!!!!!! I'm getting so friggin' frustrated, I simply walked away from it.
    I read in one of the threads you can link it from your site and not worry about size....uh..headscratch.gif .well it falied due to size. Let me first say, I always shoot at the highest quality when taking pics. When I'm done with them in photoshop I save them at the highest. I'm just concerned about clarity, I guess. And get this...no one has ever ordered anything larger than a 16x20. But, damn was it clear!:):
    I downloaded a program called Irfvanview so, my kids can upload photos to their myspace website. (I'm careful about that...even created my own myspace page to be able to check on theirs naughty.gif )
    Anway...have not even figured that damn thing out....have no idea how I got my pic up here...oh wait, it doesn't show cuz I don't have a small enough size to upload an avatar(it only shows on my info page)....and what the heck does avatar meaneek7.gif
    BTW....got my new toy yesterday...bought the Canon 20D, Sigma (just could not spend 1600.00 right now on a lens alone!) 70-200 f2.8 lens and a variety of other things...
    Okay...I'm off...well we know I'm off...kid has a dentist appt.
    Hope to hear from you
    Mandi

Mandi,

I am glad you like my card. Thanks!

While I can't help you with linking your photo from Smugmug (I don't have any kind of online site) I can tell you how I prepare my images on my computer to upload to D-Grin.

I use photoshop, but I think most other image programs can do this.

1. Convert to sRGB color space.
    2. Change ppi to 72 ppi.
    3. Change longest side of image to 800 ppi.
    4. Add a little more sharpening, and maybe contrast to help make the small image online look more like the original.
    5. Save as jpg. Use whatever compression level is needed to keep the image at about 120k or under.

To print an image you like to have a hi res file (say 300 ppi) but to view on a computer you won't see a difference between 72 ppi, and 300 ppi.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Sam
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Dont know how I missed this thread for so long! There are some great cards here!

Here's my humble little two sided card.

81144946-S.jpg

81145024-S.jpg
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Lots of great stuff Here!
    I hadn't noticed this before either.

Well another "designed without a clue" *card* rolleyes1.gif

Did this as a 4X6 for a tournament I shot...

81150171-M.jpg

I did it with borders so the text wasn't so jammed up at the top. (If they couldn't figure it out, then they couldn't buy the pics anyway).
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Seriously...did you expect something normal ?
    20554952-S.jpg

I like it! clap.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Mandi,

I am glad you like my card. Thanks!

While I can't help you with linking your photo from Smugmug (I don't have any kind of online site) I can tell you how I prepare my images on my computer to upload to D-Grin.

I use photoshop, but I think most other image programs can do this.

1. Convert to sRGB color space.
    2. Change ppi to 72 ppi.
    3. Change longest side of image to 800 ppi.
    4. Add a little more sharpening, and maybe contrast to help make the small image online look more like the original.
    5. Save as jpg. Use whatever compression level is needed to keep the image at about 120k or under.

To print an image you like to have a hi res file (say 300 ppi) but to view on a computer you won't see a difference between 72 ppi, and 300 ppi.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Sam
    Thank you, Samthumb.gif ...will try this...just posted in another thread asking how to do this...hadn't seen your reply yet...I'll go try...
    Mandi

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    I'll throw my hat in the ring. I really need something to hand out. Here's my first go at it. Please, show me the way.

82129491-M.jpg
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    AWESOME shot!!!!!!clap.gifclap.gif I'd maybe not diffuse the photo so much. It is so awesome...I get my business cards at Vistaprint and they are very reasonable! With my last order they gave me an e-business card for 1.99.
    I attach it to all my emails now. It's great.
    For your first try at a card this rocks!!!
    Mandi

TristanP wrote:
    I'll throw my hat in the ring. I really need something to hand out. Here's my first go at it. Please, show me the way.

82129491-M.jpg

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    On further review and consultation, I've simplified. Here's my current version:

Front:

82870420-M.jpg

Back:

82870419-M.jpg
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    landrum wrote:

80053465-M.jpg

I'm wanting a little more eye catching and memorable, but still simple. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Hi Laurie,

I just saw your post, but just wanted to suggest (IMHO, as well as my hubbie's) that the picture for this card is a bit too eerie - reminds me of "Chuckie" (that doll from one of the horror flicks) and my hubbie thought that the looks on their faces was too blank. I don't want to be overly critical, but thought you should know the 1st, gut reaction to this card.

Good luck,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    Front:

82870420-M.jpg

Tristan - This is a very nice example of how a photo with a strong enough graphic element can really add to the design quality of the business card.

A great re-working of the image and layout. I just love the way the elliptical shape of the track swings around the card, off the edge and then comes back on! Very nice.

I also like that the text doesn't overlap the picture. Not all photos provide natural white space - this one does and then opens up that space for your URL. Another nice aspect to this card.

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • Options
    PhotoPsychPhotoPsych Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    Any suggestions regarding this business card?
    Hi all!
    This is my first posting here on DGrin. I am in the process of composing a new business card tied in with my Smugmug site. Any suggestions/comments/criticism would be greatly appreciated. (These two images were taken in Central Park, NY.)83117063-M.jpg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    photopsych,

Is that the full image? Everything seems to be a bit right and low...

I like the idea, though!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Hi David,
    Yes, that is the full image of a proposed 4"x6" "postcard" business card...may also print it as a normal sized business card. Not exactly sure what you mean about the placement aspect. I, obviously, took the same picture in Central Park in Winter and Fall. There was a somewhat homeless person (whom I meet every time I go there, and have become acquainted with) sleeping in the exact spot I usually use, so I could not use the same precise location. I attempted to compensate in PS. The statue in the far distance serves as the "center" while the flower pot is slightly off to the right. I thought the trees framing the distant view provided a good visual frame of reference. Perhaps the "low" you refer to is due to the fact I cropped out some of the foreground so the two images could fit.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    PhotoPsych wrote:
    Hi David,
    Yes, that is the full image of a proposed 4"x6" "postcard" business card...may also print it as a normal sized business card. Not exactly sure what you mean about the placement aspect. I, obviously, took the same picture in Central Park in Winter and Fall. There was a somewhat homeless person (whom I meet every time I go there, and have become acquainted with) sleeping in the exact spot I usually use, so I could not use the same precise location. I attempted to compensate in PS. The statue in the far distance serves as the "center" while the flower pot is slightly off to the right. I thought the trees framing the distant view provided a good visual frame of reference. Perhaps the "low" you refer to is due to the fact I cropped out some of the foreground so the two images could fit.

What I'm saying is that nothing lines up centered. The text is offset to the right, and the images are as well. That would be fine, if they lined up with something. Basically, everything should line up with something, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Here's another thought. You'd need to do some more redesigning than I did here, but just a thought.

By the way, I really like the images and the direction that your card is headed, hope you don't mind me chiming in like this.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    or maybe this?

Again, it would take more design than I've done here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Hey David,
    No, I don't mind your helpful observations at all and really appreciate them. I'm going to try out some of your suggestions and will post the results when completed. Thanks again.
    Karlclap.gif
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Getting some great ideas from this thread
    Put this togeather today and ordered the first 100 today. I do plan to keep experimenting in the quest.
    83425376-L.jpg
    xtnomad :wink