Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    okey dokie then.:D
    DavidTO wrote:
    The placement of your logo isn't right. I'm not sure if you should center it (move it right and down), make it larger, or what. Play with it.

and its the only thing that aligns with the images. lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    okey dokie then.:D

and its the only thing that aligns with the images. lol3.gif

I think it's that there's only a slight difference between the margins around it. I think you could make it smaller and keep it upper right, or make it larger so that the space bottom and right is the same as top and left. It's sort of neither here nor there right now, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think it's that there's only a slight difference between the margins around it. I think you could make it smaller and keep it upper right, or make it larger so that the space bottom and right is the same as top and left. It's sort of neither here nor there right now, IMO.

yeah,

hows thisne_nau.gif

i adjusted the margins inbetween images, lined up my texts, and centered my logo more.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    yeah,

hows thisne_nau.gif

i adjusted the margins inbetween images, lined up my texts, and centered my logo more.

Your text bottom right is still farther right than the image. Overall it's much better, IMO. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    Daniel, my opinion is that when you get the text all lined up........it's going to be outstanding! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2006
    thanks David and Saurorathumb.gif

pssst. will the size of my font for e-mail and smugmug be hard to read on a small business card like that?

i mean, i wanna keep it clean, but i don't want people to have to strain to read it.

maybe i could put that on the backne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    OK... some comments
    The car with the headlights forces your eye OUT of the frame or off the business card. The two people force your eye to look out of the frame on the right.

How about reversing these, or try this order... Two guys, chair, car.

I'd make the chair bigger or chose another photo -- the chair is just getting lost.

Why all the space on the right side of the card? The proportions look wrong.

Your card should be three and one half inches wide and two inches high... minimum space between "live matter" and the edge should be 1/8 of an inch, 1/4 inch is better.

I'm not fond of the script font for StandOut -- reminds me of Shay Stephen's card:D (which is OK on his card). And the P in photography is touching the underline -- move it down a little if you want to keep that layout.

Is this enough for you to start tearing your hair out???rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    juliankjuliank Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Photoshop actions to create a sheet with cards?
    Occasionally, I create an 8x10 or 8.5x11 sheet for a small number of business cards that I cut myself. The template with text is the same, but the background could be different. I looked on the web for a Photoshop actions that perhaps could automate the pasting of 10 the same backgrounds on layers in specific locations to match the template, but haven't found one. Has anybody maybe seen any actions that would help with this?
    Thanks for any ideas!
  • Options
    Micah WeberMicah Weber Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    dscn06459rm.jpg
    Portfolio: www.micahweber.com | Nikon Shooter. D50 |18-55mm | 55-200mm || S3
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Your text bottom right is still farther right than the image. Overall it's much better, IMO. thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    juliank wrote:
    Occasionally, I create an 8x10 or 8.5x11 sheet for a small number of business cards that I cut myself. The template with text is the same, but the background could be different. I looked on the web for a Photoshop actions that perhaps could automate the pasting of 10 the same backgrounds on layers in specific locations to match the template, but haven't found one. Has anybody maybe seen any actions that would help with this?
    Thanks for any ideas!

Try PAGEMAKER OR Moss bay's Office printer (Office Printer is the one I now use,,,,makes great cards)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    The Contemporary-visions Card Of 1989
    My card from 1989 - 1992.....when I gave up this wonerful way of life.
    My Model was Marnie Rountree, had real potential but admited to being afraid of leaving the safety of here home town.

61887341-L.jpg
    I apollogize for the crud on the card....the scanner I used has dust on the underside of the glass and element....:cry

It did get me quite a bit of work, but for an area as conservative as Wichita Kansas I was surprised.....
    The cards were actually made to take to LA for a Publication Party for the model....she was published in a Modeling Pub. called "FACES".
    So I took cards with me also and would up getting a wedding in Sacramento that year and other work....even here in Ks....of course I got more local work with a different card.......but this one got me noticed........I updated the card with my current phone and business email before uploading, but other than that its just as it was in 1989....just changed those 2 lines.

The card was printed as full bleed on photo paper by a company named STYLART out of North Dakota...I do not think they are in business anymore.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Cliff PhotoCliff Photo Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    juliank wrote:
    Thanks for any ideas!

If you have PSCS2, the answer you are looking for I believe is in Smart Objects. It will replace all of an image with all of another image if you copy from one original smart object. Google "Smart Objects" if you have CS2.

Nikon shooter: D200, Tokina 12-24, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR 2.8, 50 1.4 :click
  • Options
    HarrisonHarrison Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Here's my humble contribution...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Sure, I'll play.

bc.jpg

The shot on my card is my award-winning image from 2004, "Why I Like Ballet."
  • Options
    HarrisonHarrison Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Now THAT'S a business card! Nice~:):
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    uhh i think thats at least 1 way to get people to hold on to your card. lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Here is half of my most recent card...

The front,
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

• Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    The back.
    Cheers,

• Options
    ellepixelsellepixels Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    F45 wrote:
    The back.

Were does one start, ....Im just starting out... a few jobs under my belt,
    and a website here at smugmug.
    Im not sure, what look, or feel, the card should have.?
    I am looking for something a little diffrent, but yet pro looking.
    Would apreciate advice.
    thanks.thumb.gif
    Lost in Smugmug world.
    visit my website. feel free to sign the guestbook to le me know you dropped by-
    http://www.tanyadelnegro.com
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    Hi Ellepixels,

As you have probably noticed, there is a lot of reading in this post!
    If you haven't read all of the replies thus far, I'll give you the basics of the oppinions.
    Most have agreed that a card should show some artistic style even in the form of minimalism. Too much clutter will not highlight your skills as a photographer or as a business person. Some will argue that no picture on the card is best and some feel the opposite. I for one feel that a well chosen photo can set the mood for your introduction to potential clients...even if you don't hand them one of your cards personally. A future client might be given your card by a former client etc. and their recommendation combined with your "presentation" could be enough for someone to make a mental comittment to using you for an assignment. The one thing that I think everyone agreed with in this thread is that first impressions are always the most important link to even getting a second impression. In other words...make sure your card (and for that matter anything that represents your business) is the best quality you can offer. Spend the extra money on better card stock, have them professionally printed and if need be; hire someone to create the look you want. Any amount of money spent here will always seem cheap when you consider the amount of value a good looking business card can provide.
    Keep the font clean and legible and try not to go over-board with discriptions of all the different styles of photography that you're able to offer (this is perhaps another advantage of a single albeit informative photo on the card). If you can't quite make up your mind with how you want the card to look, then try a search in Google images for "photgraphy business card" and see what others have used on their cards. My card is intended to show the architectural work that I do but I use another card for my fine art work. I designed them myself using Corel Draw, uploaded them to overnightprints.com, paid for the overnight shipping ($30.00 or so) and had them in my hands within 48 hours all for about $130.00. I have made several cards for myself and other clients and always paid about $190.00 + tax and 14 days for local printing. Overnightprints.com was recommended to me by an associate and I think they are the best I've seen. I think Andy here at Digital Grin also recommended them in one of his posts.
    Your website looks like you will be speciallizing in portraiture, so maybe you'll use one of your most admired images for a faded background or something.
    My final advice is take your time, enjoy the process and imagine that people will be paying you for the card when you hand them one, because if you approach your business card creation with the same pride that you approach your image processing; people will take notice and more importantly they will take the time to call! thumb.gif

Cheers,

Chris.
    Cheers,

• Options
    ellepixelsellepixels Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    F45 wrote:
    Hi Ellepixels,

As you have probably noticed, there is a lot of reading in this post!
    If you haven't read all of the replies thus far, I'll give you the basics of the oppinions.
    Most have agreed that a card should show some artistic style even in the form of minimalism. Too much clutter will not highlight your skills as a photographer or as a business person. Some will argue that no picture on the card is best and some feel the opposite. I for one feel that a well chosen photo can set the mood for your introduction to potential clients...even if you don't hand them one of your cards personally. A future client might be given your card by a former client etc. and their recommendation combined with your "presentation" could be enough for someone to make a mental comittment to using you for an assignment. The one thing that I think everyone agreed with in this thread is that first impressions are always the most important link to even getting a second impression. In other words...make sure your card (and for that matter anything that represents your business) is the best quality you can offer. Spend the extra money on better card stock, have them professionally printed and if need be; hire someone to create the look you want. Any amount of money spent here will always seem cheap when you consider the amount of value a good looking business card can provide.
    Keep the font clean and legible and try not to go over-board with discriptions of all the different styles of photography that you're able to offer (this is perhaps another advantage of a single albeit informative photo on the card). If you can't quite make up your mind with how you want the card to look, then try a search in Google images for "photgraphy business card" and see what others have used on their cards. My card is intended to show the architectural work that I do but I use another card for my fine art work. I designed them myself using Corel Draw, uploaded them to overnightprints.com, paid for the overnight shipping ($30.00 or so) and had them in my hands within 48 hours all for about $130.00. I have made several cards for myself and other clients and always paid about $190.00 + tax and 14 days for local printing. Overnightprints.com was recommended to me by an associate and I think they are the best I've seen. I think Andy here at Digital Grin also recommended them in one of his posts.
    Your website looks like you will be speciallizing in portraiture, so maybe you'll use one of your most admired images for a faded background or something.
    My final advice is take your time, enjoy the process and imagine that people will be paying you for the card when you hand them one, because if you approach your business card creation with the same pride that you approach your image processing; people will take notice and more importantly they will take the time to call! thumb.gif

Cheers,

Chris.

Thank you for the post. One of my biggest complains with business cards,
    is that they are forgetfull. You stick them in your wallet, with the rest of the pile you have. And when you need one, you need to take them all out, and go trew them, to find the one you are looking for. Especially, if they all have a white background. Although i want a clean, and minimal card, i also want one, that is colorful, and easy to remember. I was playing around in cs2 yesterday, and i came up with one very loud.
    http://tanyadelnegrofoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1351847/1/66534653

This is my first attemp, with something loud. I like the colors, and like the affect it gave when i printed one up.

All constructive critism is welcome.I know, it's not the usual photographers card...
    Lost in Smugmug world.
    visit my website. feel free to sign the guestbook to le me know you dropped by-
    http://www.tanyadelnegro.com
  • Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Okay, Hi Gang.

My first post so I may as well jump in with both feet. This is my business card. My specialty is automoive photography. I do a lot of carshows and automotive "glamour" shots. (Or baby pictures for car guys) :):

One of the first things I learned was to make the lettering large enough for old eyes to see. I feel it is important to catch the eye with a strong visual on the front but, I have all the vitals (name, address, phone, etc.) on the back in larger, black type on white.

blucrd2e.jpg

http://www.jburtphotos.com
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Hacker effort
    After seeing all the other cards posted I'm truly embarrassed to show this draft.

76992579-M.jpg

Card Comments?

I shoot sports so my goal for the card is to let people know where to find their shots. Hopefully cram it in their pocket and see it again when they get home.

Up until now I've been printing my own but I'm shooting 4 tournaments in the next month and I can order cheaper than print them myself. Did Overnight Prints get their security issues corrected?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    hi Greg,

If you don't mind, I'll make a couple of comments on your card... (mind you, this is from some one who hasn't even got one of her own yet)

I really like how you isolated the two individuals in action. However, I would work on the skin tone of the gymnist - her whole image looks washed out, especially compared to the bb player.

Also, the card looks relativelyl "busy". What, if any thing do you have on the back and could you move parts of your text there to keep the front cleaner?

good luck and I've enjoyed your action shots when you post.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Frog Lady wrote:
    hi Greg,

If you don't mind, I'll make a couple of comments on your card... (mind you, this is from some one who hasn't even got one of her own yet)

However, I would work on the skin tone of the gymnist - her whole image looks washed out, especially compared to the bb player.

Also, the card looks relativelyl "busy". What, if any thing do you have on the back and could you move parts of your text there to keep the front cleaner?

Don't mind at all thumb.gif

The gymnast and ballplayer, I agree. The problem is that the gymnast was shot ISO 3200 / 400 / f1.8 and I was pushing it. Hard for me to get much pop out of her. I actually de-popped or washed out the bball player to help balance the shots. Your right, I need to work the shots some more before printing. Why pick these shots if they don't balance you ask - they are of my kids and I thought they would get a kick out of being on the cards which is more important than better or more balanced shots.

Busy, I agree but when I remove any text it looks vacant. I'll look at that as well.

Thanks for the comments :D

How's this?

77045055-M.jpg
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Bodley wrote:

Up until now I've been printing my own but I'm shooting 4 tournaments in the next month and I can order cheaper than print them myself. Did Overnight Prints get their security issues corrected?

It looks like they are still having troubles. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24523
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35801

I saw a new post on a thread a couple weeks ago where they were still getting other's info in the fields. Couldn't find the posts now though.

I've got a back log of card orders and am probably just going to go local.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Diane S wrote:
    Hi all,
    It was very helpful and interesting to see all the different styles of business cards. I have a few and here are 2 of miine. 59627694-S.jpg

59636695-S.jpg

Another idea ... I now create a 'client business card' on an 8x10 photo paper (metallic works GREAT) which holds 10 cards ...I use one of the images from their shoot and add my information on the card as seen above. They are thrilled to see their photo on 'my' business card and are quicker to pass out my cards when their picture is on the card.

Great Idea thumb.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    These are my "cards" - I do have actual business cards, but they're just opaque platic material, dark brown, with the same script and writting as these have. plus, I'm more proud of these! haha.

I have these printed at...WalMart - - yeah yeah yeah, so shoot me - - - on 4X6 photos and hand these out. they look really neat since they're printed ON a photo....

Project22.jpg

rossfrazierartisticprints.jpg

- RE

All Images are copyright Ross Frazier and Ross Frazier Photography.
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Don't mind at all thumb.gif

The gymnast and ballplayer, I agree. The problem is that the gymnast was shot ISO 3200 / 400 / f1.8 and I was pushing it. Hard for me to get much pop out of her. I actually de-popped or washed out the bball player to help balance the shots. Your right, I need to work the shots some more before printing. Why pick these shots if they don't balance you ask - they are of my kids and I thought they would get a kick out of being on the cards which is more important than better or more balanced shots.

Busy, I agree but when I remove any text it looks vacant. I'll look at that as well.

Thanks for the comments :D

How's this?

77045055-M.jpg

I think it looks much better on both accts. Your daughter looks brighter and it is easier to read w/o the "capturing the moments" text. Nice job and good luck w/ your sales.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)