Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Here's an in-betweener
    Mixed things up a little to try and keep a visual balance while simplifying it:

shay_card1.jpg

You are right that the company name is Shay Stephens Photography, so that needs to stay I think.

{edit} I flipped the image back to normal (most probably did'nt see it reversed) and moved the text back to the right as Angelo suggested.
    DavidTO wrote:
    Somewhere in between, Shay. First one was too busy, this one too sparse. I too liked the photography under your name. That's your company's name, no?

Anyway, you're darn close, IMO.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006

shay_card1.jpg

You are right that the company name is Shay Stephens Photography, so that needs to stay I think.

{edit} I flipped the image back to normal (most probably did'nt see it reversed) and moved the text back to the right as Angelo suggested.

Very nice. My only nit is that you now have 3 fonts, all different types. Handwritten, serif and non-serif. Think about making the non-serif a serif font, it might unify the card more.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 23, 2006

shay_card1.jpg

very nice and I like "photography" reinstated now that the bar is gone.
    I agree with David... clean up the fonts.
    I still don't like your name appearing on the card twice. (I understand it, I just don't like it.) pheh! rolleyes1.gif:D
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    I still don't like your name appearing on the card twice. (I understand it, I just don't like it.) pheh! rolleyes1.gif:D

The name on the bottom could be smaller, since you've got the large name up top...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2006
    Ok, after chewing on this a while, how about this:
    shay_card2.jpg

I got rid of the redundant name as much as possible. I also decided to rotate the logo/contact info since things just were not fitting right. There is a visual contrast in the two rotations that I find interesting.
    Angelo wrote:
    very nice and I like "photography" reinstated now that the bar is gone.
    I agree with David... clean up the fonts.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006

shay_card1.jpg

OK, I like this version much better. My 2 cents worth would be to delete your name on the bottom right (it's on the card three times with your first name on it four times), and increase the font size of your web site, as well as maybe adjusting your borders a little. Printing can chop off up to 1/16" (I think).

Sam
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    My only question shane is why is the lettering on the lens a mirror image? Not a biggy, but it caught my eye as wierd.ne_nau.gif

I hate people with sharp eyes! :D But with a little work all you need to do is flip the image, select the now correct lens image, copy paste, size etc. and the lettering is no longer reversed.

Sam
  • Options
    MidnitsageMidnitsage Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2006
    shay_card2.jpg

I got rid of the redundant name as much as possible. I also decided to rotate the logo/contact info since things just were not fitting right. There is a visual contrast in the two rotations that I find interesting.

I love that you are truly working this out and designing multiple layouts here! A few problems I see with the layout is that vertical type is hard to read to begin with but, if you notice on book spines it goes the other way, so with this you read from bottom to top, not top to bottom as we do naturally. The other issue is this layout take the viewers eyes right off the card. The eyes are then blocked with this strip of black text so it makes it hard to come back into the design/image. This also creates a very strong separation of ,This is the image and This is the information.

Keep working it Shay!

Oh also I wanted to say that I really like the simplified information on the card. Especially if you are the only photographer in your studio.
    It looks like it is, but I'll ask to make sure, Is all the type information evenly? Too keep that clean look be sure that both side are lining up with the P and Y in photography. One thing that loses the effect tho, it could just be the image, the numbers in the phone number seem to have different baselines. If this is the case maybe looking into a serif font that looks like the word Photography, too keep consistant.
  • Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    shay_card2.jpg

I like this, there's a lovely feel to the couple dancing, the dark of the figure of the groom is balanced by your name on the right, there's plenty of white "breathing space" around the text & its not too close to the edge! And you've balanced the fluid style of your name with a more "Classic" font style for the remainder of the text! thumb.gif
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 24, 2006
    shay_card2.jpg

Shay - I like this version. I think you've done a great job. 2 little nits. The length of your URL and telephone number run longer than your title. Reduce the font one point or realign to reduce a space. Also, the phone number font is causing a "crooked" line. This is fairly common in the numerals table of a lot of fonts. Choose a font with a consistent baseline and use it for both the number and URL. "Goudy" is a family of fonts that will give you consistency and balance in the styles.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    I decided to go from bleeding eyes to keep it simple, stupid.

51334138-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    Ok, here is a question. My business card is being designed in conjunction with my website redesign (not yet launched). Should I be concerned about keeping a consistancy of fonts for both the card and the website? Or does that not matter?

When I dropped the arial font of the card, I did the same thing on the website. I have to work with that for a few days to see if I will get used to the new look.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2006
    Ok, here is a question. My business card is being designed in conjunction with my website redesign (not yet launched). Should I be concerned about keeping a consistancy of fonts for both the card and the website? Or does that not matter?

When I dropped the arial font of the card, I did the same thing on the website. I have to work with that for a few days to see if I will get used to the new look.

I don't think you need to be real strict about the two matching. Mine don't. (Then again, I'm not in business!)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    MidnitsageMidnitsage Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2006
    When I dropped the Ariel font of the card, I did the same thing on the website. I have to work with that for a few days to see if I will get used to the new look.

i wouldn't completely ditch the Sans serif font for you email and phone number. It's a nice compliment to your business name. Just try to find one that the number sit on the baseline.
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Shay, beautiful card you have there!

I think it would benefit slightly from leaving a little more room to the left of the groom. He looks like he's about to fall off the edge.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    Back from the drawing board
    Ok, as I like to say, if one thing doesn't work, try another. I dumped my design in favor of a two sided card, dumped the logo in favor of a new one, and generally continued the simplification idea.

Here is the new front:
    shay_card3.jpg

And here is the back:
    shay_card3a.jpg

...annnnddd...I'm spent! mwink.gif

Thank you all for your feedback.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    Very, very nice, Shay. I like it a lot. You're done.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Very, very nice, Shay. I like it a lot. You're done.

hmmmm

I do like the concept... nice, simple, to the point...

however... my eye first went to the huge logo and the word "Artistic"

I read SARTISTIC

just seems weird that the S has a cool shadow, but the P doesn't...

maybe i'm too picky... but oh well :) gotta love me anyway iloveyou.gifne_nau.gif

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Shay: Your card is Very very nice.thumb.gif
    Best regardsthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    LiquidOps wrote:
    hmmmm

I do like the concept... nice, simple, to the point...

however... my eye first went to the huge logo and the word "Artistic"

I read SARTISTIC

just seems weird that the S has a cool shadow, but the P doesn't...

Shay Stephens Photography
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    The sharp-eyed man gets the prize!!! :D:D:D

I like some visual conflict in a card that makes the viewer have to stop and think about the card for a second. In this case, the stylized SSP.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    The sharp-eyed man gets the prize!!! :D:D:D

I will PM you my addy so you can send the prize on...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    Thank you
    I just wanted to say thank you to those who offered advice and comments. I also wanted to thank specifically the following (in order of appearance):

Gus - your card rocks, inspiration for me, breaking the rules.

Angelo - Your card was an inspiration in white space. Also thank you for your suggestions.

W.W. Webster - Your book suggestion was a good one. It helped me a lot. And your criticism and input in the thread was appreciated.

Brandofamily - Your "bi" logo was inspirational to me. I had been looking for a way to make a square logo for some time, and your idea helped me.

ian408 - Your example of white space was inspirational to me.

vangogh - Your bold design was inspirational.

AprilVisel - Just flat out beautiful and elegant. Very inspirational.

Midnitsage - I really appreciated your criticism and posting the tips, they were very beneficial to me.

DavidTO - Thank you for your herculean efforts at providing continued good advice in this thread. It helped me a lot.

I am sure there are others I am forgetting to mention, to them thank you :D
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    W.W. Webster - Your book suggestion was a good one. It helped me a lot. And your criticism and input in the thread was appreciated.

FYI to all: there's a review of the aforementioned book here. It's a great book.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    I love this!
    c) I dare you to lose the word "photography"

This is such a cool concept deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I realize what it stands for... that was never a question...

I was simply stating what my mind first wandered to.

yes... it made me give it a second look, but a lot of times, you're not gonna get that second look. Sometimes first thoughts are all you get.

Maybe i'm too picky for my own good, but it still bothers me....

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    Does this help?

shay_card4.jpg

LiquidOps wrote:
    I realize what it stands for... that was never a question...

I was simply stating what my mind first wandered to.

yes... it made me give it a second look, but a lot of times, you're not gonna get that second look. Sometimes first thoughts are all you get.

Maybe i'm too picky for my own good, but it still bothers me....

Steven
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2006
    Does this help?

shay_card4.jpg

I definately think it adds more seperation... I like

thumb.gifthumb.gif from me :)

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    so i thought about it, came back to it, came back to it, and thought about it. and decided i didn't like that other card i made.... so heres my new idea. linda went off 408|views style.

any comments, critique? and i'm wondering, should i just leave off my name, and write it on there with a potential customer?ne_nau.gif i know andy uses this technique with his e-mail.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited March 26, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    so i thought about it, came back to it, came back to it, and thought about it. and decided i didn't like that other card i made.... so heres my new idea. linda went off 408|views style.

any comments, critique? and i'm wondering, should i just leave off my name, and write it on there with a potential customer?ne_nau.gif i know andy uses this technique with his e-mail.

It's all in the details, Daniel.

The space between images is uneven. The text bottom right should align with the image above (right justified-wise). It should also align with the bottom of your name. Everything aligns with something else! Move your name in to align left with the image above.

The placement of your logo isn't right. I'm not sure if you should center it (move it right and down), make it larger, or what. Play with it.
    Moderator Emeritus