Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    Looking for C and C....

126296110-S.jpg

Is that some amazing lighting or a photoshop swirly effect? It looks like photoshop to my eyes. Kind of cheezy at that. ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Looking for something clean and elegant.

Front:

bizcard_front.jpg
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Business Card Help
    I am trying to get a business card together which has become more difficult that I thought.....especially since I am no designer.

Take a look at these initial cards I threw together and I am extremely open for a lot of help to make these better. In fact if you have a better design in mind, print your sample here mwink.gif
    I did thepink shadow color as a bold statement,but easily changes to a normal grey shadow (or removed) if it is really terrible.

I am planning on printing two different cards using MPix, the layout will be the same between the two cards - the one will have the sports background image and the 2nd will be a portrait image. I would also like to use the same principle design on a tee-shirt that I will wear to the sporting events I shoot.

Thanks,
    Michael

#1 - This was my 1st card layout I had been using

#2 - New design
    http://mlkimages.smugmug.com/photos/127983943-M.jpg

#3 - just a bit different
    http://mlkimages.smugmug.com/photos/127983952-M.jpg
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    I probably am not the best to give good detailed critique but when I looked at the card above I had a hard time reading the name. MLK and images runs together so I had to look at it twice to figure out the name of your business. Also if I may the shadowing around the pictures seemed to bother me as it is not consistent. Ex. shadow on the bottom of one pic but not on the top of it. Just not sure how this would look printed but who am I to give opinions as I haven't even created a business card yet ne_nau.gif

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    i have to agree that i think the verbage is a bit difficult to read from both a typeface perspective as well as distinction from the background.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    Looking for something clean and elegant.

Front:

bizcard_front.jpg

After looking thru your site, I think you should probably use a different photo. You have some nice work. Something about that pic just doesn't work for me. Can't really pinpoint it. I do like the simplicity, clean, elegance to it. If you have looked thru this thread enough, I think you will find the best cards are that way.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    Looking for C and C....

126296110-L.jpg

After looking thru your site, I would say replace the photo above with the moon flower and leave the rest of the card the same.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    Looking for C and C....

126296110-L.jpg

T, I think your logo needs work. The T doesn't stand out as I think you're really intending it to. Check out http://www.bamagazine.com/ they have a "make a logo from letters" tutorial that's very good. I recommend it for getting your creative juices flowing. I think you could really do something cool with the logo. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2007
    How about something like this. Just an quick idea, I didn't spend to long and couldn't match your font.

128054700-M.jpg
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Feedback? Tips for improvement? which are the strongest ones? or ones that don't work so well?

Gimme something - good, bad - just not indifferent!

-teresa
    pigeon wrote:
    Alright here they are. I've included one (ice hockey), but haven't printed that one. Would I need permission from anyone - the player, the team, etc.?

I think for a few of them, I have too much text, and just the web address is enough (see last photo of girl).

125874992-L.jpg125874984-L.jpg

125875004-L.jpg125875020-L.jpg

125875029-L.jpg125875040-L.jpg125875053-L.jpg

125875058-L.jpg125874976-L.jpg

125875066-L.jpg125876864-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2007
    here's my current one
    i'm open to feedback and cc.

128168829-O.jpg
    - Dan

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    dangin wrote:

128168829-O.jpg
    The basics are okay, but I hate, hate, hate the bevel. It's very amateurish and way overdone. Hey look, I found layer styles in photoshop! Besides, it looks like you're going for a nice clean look and that just ruins it.

Okay enough about the bevel. The spot of red looks probably too small to make much of an impact. Your design needs a little CRAP love. Contrast, Repitition, Alignment, and Proximity.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2007
    Thanks....
    Good idea, I like it better. I'll play around with that a bit.

Is anyone out there a designer at all that could design a quick "logo" style for the letters "MLK"? If so, that would be appreciated since as I mentioned before I am no graphic designer and use the DGrin forums for the expertise they offer. mwink.gif

bham wrote:
    How about something like this. Just an quick idea, I didn't spend to long and couldn't match your font.

128054700-M.jpg
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 7, 2007
    bham wrote:

128054700-M.jpg

I like it. Hmmmm, I wonder why???? :Dhttp://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=188096&postcount=47
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2007
    No secret where I got the idea eh!
    I liked your card, what can I say iloveyou.gif .

Just trying to tweak it a bit so it is somewhat different.

Hope you do not mind?

Michael

Angelo wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2007
    dangin wrote:

128168829-O.jpg

First off, too many pics. Choose one strong one and go with it. Use the rest for text. On a small card the bevel only makes the text look slightly blurry. Lastly do you plan on printing anything on the back? If you look through this thread I think you will find some very simple elegant use of the back of the card.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2007
    pigeon wrote:
    Feedback? Tips for improvement? which are the strongest ones? or ones that don't work so well?

Gimme something - good, bad - just not indifferent!

-teresa

Teresa what are you going for? Who will you be giving the card to? What type of customers are you going after? I took a quick look through your site. My best guess from what I saw is your trying to market fine art shots. Then based on that I would use one of the landscape shots. I like the amount of info used on each card, simple, basic, just what is need. I'm not in love with the font though but I've seen worse choices.

If you asked someone to look at each different card and guess what kind of photographer you were, you would get, multiple answers from portrait to sports to equistrine (sp?) to wedding (church) to landscape to birds. Pic a target audience you want to go for and do that. What type of clients do you want, or what type of clients is their the best market for?

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    dangin wrote:
    Too busy! nod.gif
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    "...Your design needs a little CRAP love. Contrast, Repitition, Alignment, and Proximity."

i do like this CRAP of yours. i'll endeavor to remember it in the future! thx for all that commented.
    this is my current card that i've been using:

128284386-O.jpg
    - Dan

• Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    I liked your card, what can I say iloveyou.gif .

Just trying to tweak it a bit so it is somewhat different.

Hope you do not mind?

Michael

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Thanks
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    dangin wrote:
    i do like this CRAP of yours. i'll endeavor to remember it in the future! thx for all that commented.

CRAP is a concept that is covered in the highly recommended, The Non-Designer's Design Book.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    dangin wrote:
    this is my current card that i've been using:

128284386-O.jpg

I really like this card. From the pictures that you had on your perspective new card you are wanting to highlight your wedding business. I suggest just replacing the image in this card with a great one from a wedding. You may have to move the text around a little and maybe need to downsize it also, depending on the picture used. Also consider using both the front and back of the card. This can allow you to just put your name and maybe website on one side with a nice picture and then all your info on the other.
  • Options
    LittleLisaLittleLisa Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Looking for feedback...
    Hey grinners!

I just discovered this thread and it's oh so timely for me! I was just about to send these to print, but would love some feedback before I order them.

127405210-M.jpg

My biggest concern is the font size of the phone number and website... too small? And if you think it's too small, any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2007
    LittleLisa wrote:
    Hey grinners!

I just discovered this thread and it's oh so timely for me! I was just about to send these to print, but would love some feedback before I order them.

127405210-M.jpg

My biggest concern is the font size of the phone number and website... too small? And if you think it's too small, any suggestions?

Not too small but not equal in typesize and that bugs me. (scroll up a few posts for more info)

Also... you have the words "photographer" "photography" and "photos" on the card. Maybe a bit overkill? I think you could easily lose "photographer" from below your name.

Overall it's a very nice card thumb.gif
  • Options
    LittleLisaLittleLisa Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    How 'bout this?
    Angelo wrote:
    Not too small but not equal in typesize and that bugs me. (scroll up a few posts for more info)

Also... you have the words "photographer" "photography" and "photos" on the card. Maybe a bit overkill? I think you could easily lose "photographer" from below your name.

Overall it's a very nice card thumb.gif

Thanks for the feedback, Angelo! I've seen your work and respect your opinion. Here's my update...

130719729-M.jpg

The typesize was the same "font size", but I saw what you meant about them looking different sizes. Does this look better?

Next question: what do you think about these 4x6 postcards? I have a feeling they're too chaotic. I want to get some examples on there, but don't know the best way to arrange them. Should I go for more of an all-lined-up arrangement? ne_nau.gif

And 2) black or white? White goes with my biz cards; black ties into my website. headscratch.gif

130727341-M.jpg

130725661-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2007
    Question regarding quality of smaller images on BC's
    Is there something special that should be done when applyying images to your business card? I have a few images that I included on my BC - original files are jpegs and after shrinking the images tro fit on the BC, priniting quality is not the best. Most people probably do not even notice this, but I want to try and increase ther quality of these images. Anything special I should be doing?

Michael
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    LittleLisa wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback, Angelo! I've seen your work and respect your opinion. Here's my update...

130719729-M.jpg

The typesize was the same "font size", but I saw what you meant about them looking different sizes. Does this look better?

Next question: what do you think about these 4x6 postcards? I have a feeling they're too chaotic. I want to get some examples on there, but don't know the best way to arrange them. Should I go for more of an all-lined-up arrangement? ne_nau.gif

And 2) black or white? White goes with my biz cards; black ties into my website. headscratch.gif

130727341-M.jpg

Much better. Congrats! I would increase the font size of your name (maybe +2 pts?) and move it down and left a bit.

As for the postcard. I like the arrangement except for the lone orchid and I prefer the black version. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    Is there something special that should be done when applyying images to your business card? I have a few images that I included on my BC - original files are jpegs and after shrinking the images tro fit on the BC, priniting quality is not the best. Most people probably do not even notice this, but I want to try and increase ther quality of these images. Anything special I should be doing?

Michael

Make sure you're not reducing the dpi as you resize the jpg images. You'll need at least 150 dpi resolution for printing (300 is optimum).
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Ok, here is my first attempt at a business card. I'm almost scared to post it up, because I'm really liking the design of it so far, but I know I really should get some outside opinions on it. It is in no way done, I'll be putting a picture or two into the blank spaces, just looking for some constructive criticism to help me make it better. Thanks!!

Business Card.jpg