Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Ok, here is my first attempt at a business card. I'm almost scared to post it up, because I'm really liking the design of it so far, but I know I really should get some outside opinions on it. It is in no way done, I'll be putting a picture or two into the blank spaces, just looking for some constructive criticism to help me make it better. Thanks!!

Attachment not found.

headscratch.gifwww.happylandings.com is a website for books about aviation. Also just curious how the name ties to the photography?

I like the logo. Not liking your name sideways. Not much room for a pic in its current layout. Are you going to use the back?

On a non business card note, you seriously need to do something about www.thehangar.us I clicked on it, got a directory tree and saw a pdf that was some temporary insurance coverage you had. Not sure if it had your SS# or not but you need to get on fixing that.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    bham wrote:
    headscratch.gifwww.happylandings.com is a website for books about aviation. Also just curious how the name ties to the photography?

The card is too busy.

I'm still working on the name as well. Thx for your input thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    I changed my post because when I was replying since you did the card as an attachment I couldn't initially see it. I edited the post.

Ok saw your site and saw how the name relates to you. Not sure it relates to your photography though, but thats your call. Just my $.02.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up on the open directory... Should be taken care of, at least temporarily till I get home and can fix it right. Thanks again!!
  • Options
    Crystal Clear PhotographyCrystal Clear Photography Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    need some input :)
    Here's my card :D

131013161-S.jpg

I am working on updating my logo and motto/slogan
    I have my new logo in my header at www.crystalclearphotos.com (still tweaking it)
    I've been giving myself a headache with the slogan ( "professional photos at family prices" won't work too much longer as I am in the process of charging more)
    I do weddings, newborns, children, family and senior portraits
    right now i'm thinking "Life, Love & Tenderness...through a Lens" or something to that effect
    Any ideas?
    Also, do i need my address and email on my card?...it seems a bit cluttered with contact info...been thinking of omitting some. I want to leave the back free for appointment and/or password information.

Ready for input! :) Thanks --
    :rofl
    ~Crystal
    www.crystalclearphotos.com
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by what takes our breath away"
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    Here's my card :D

131013161-S.jpg

I have my new logo in my header at www.crystalclearphotos.com (still tweaking it)
    I've been giving myself a headache with the slogan ( "professional photos at family prices" won't work too much longer as I am in the process of charging more)
    right now i'm thinking "Life, Love & Tenderness...through a Lens" or something to that effect
    Any ideas?
    Also, do i need my address and email on my card?...it seems a bit cluttered with contact info...been thinking of omitting some. I want to leave the back free for appointment and/or password information.

Getting a Red X.
  • Options
    Crystal Clear PhotographyCrystal Clear Photography Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Getting a Red X.

...can you elaborate please? I can’t fix what I don't know is broken. If you hate it that much you must have a reason. I'm not claiming to be a graphic artist or designer in anyway...just trying to improve.

edited...you mean getting a red x as in...you dont even see the card...hehehe my bad. I don't know why? I see it on my end.
    ~Crystal
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by what takes our breath away"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    ...can you elaborate please? I can’t fix what I don't know is broken. If you hate it that much you must have a reason. I'm not claiming to be a graphic artist or designer in anyway...just trying to improve.

edited...you mean getting a red x as in...you dont even see the card...hehehe my bad. I don't know why? I see it on my end.

There's a link in my signature to a tutorial on posting pictures. Take a look through that, and I'm sure you'll find the problem. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 20, 2007

we can't see your card!
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    Can you see me now?
    131013161-S.jpg
    Again.....
    Any ideas?

~Crystal
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    131013161-S.jpg
    Again.....
    Any ideas?

Make sure you have external links enabled in your smugmug gallery. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Make sure you have external links enabled in your smugmug gallery. thumb.gif

I made the gallery accept external links and it is public. don't know what I'm doing wrong but i see it just fine here. never posted a pick before...sorry.

I'll put it in as an attachment :)
    ~Crystal
  • Options
    magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    I made the gallery accept external links and it is public. don't know what I'm doing wrong but i see it just fine here. never posted a pick before...sorry.

I'll put it in as an attachment :)

it looks good..widget
    (2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
    http://www.photographybywidget.com
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    I like that logo Crystal Clear!

Ok, here is the new version, and probably complete version of mine. The main things that may change at this point would be the individual pictures. Need to add a portrait or two to it!! The website still isn't up, but I do own the domain name.

Edit: Ok, I had to add a white background to my cards so they don't blend into the boards!

Front
    131072326-M.jpg

Back
    131072288-M.jpg
  • Options
    Jonathan R. WalcherJonathan R. Walcher Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    I like it Wendell...
    And agree about adding a portrait pic....thumb.gif
    Focusing on Event, Portrait, and Humanitarian Work....
    www.jonathanwphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    Crystal....Your card looks great but I'm concerned about how it might print. There are a lot of details that might get lost when the card is printed....

Quick thoughts would be to remove the SLR icon....and use that space to either enlarge your names or the photos....

You might also consider moving the snail mail address to the back.....if you did this you may be able to squeeze some more size out of the contact information

Regarding the phone number, depending on who you talk to parenthesis are distracting and aren't necessary these days...and you might try aligning it to the right so that your logo (which is very good, and shows lots of time invested) won't be competing for attention.

Take it for what its worth...just another opinion :)

JW
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    another attempt.
    Here is my most recent version. better than the first?
    I like the idea of using one photo for a background but can't seem to pick just one (i do weddings and babies mainly...should i do a few different cards?)
    the blue diamond background matched my website
    still not sure about the "life and love...through a lens"....?
    open for input...good and bad :)
    ~Crystal
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    I like it Crystal!! This new version has a much cleaner feel to it, and I think would look very nice printed out!!
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    Wowza!
    I like the idea of using one photo for a background but can't seem to pick just one (i do weddings and babies mainly...should i do a few different cards?)

Ohhh thats great Crystal.....clap.gif....definetly a clearer message than the first!!!!

I think your gradient does a fine job as a background......also, I like the additional pictures!

That new line...very catchy...i think is a great way to sum up what your going after...!

Way to go!

JW
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    Ohhh thats great Crystal.....clap.gif....definetly a clearer message than the first!!!!

I think your gradient does a fine job as a background......also, I like the additional pictures!

That new line...very catchy...i think is a great way to sum up what your going after...!

Way to go!

JW

thanks! I've been putting a lot of effort into my image...i know a picture should speak for itself but i have to say...a great web design and logo brings it together (& I'm no pro designer) but since i updated my site last fall, business has doubled with a bigger WOW factor from clients.

I tried a single image card and it didn't give me the effect I was going for.
    I do like the idea earlier in this thread of putting a clients image on a card and giving them some to pass out (love the blue ocean card diane!!!! - page 20)

Any other thoughts on "Life & love...through a lens" slogan?
    My husband and I are getting tripped up on the wording...the words are what I want to say, I just dont know if I'm saying it right.....
    ~Crystal
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I like that logo Crystal Clear!

Ok, here is the new version, and probably complete version of mine. The main things that may change at this point would be the individual pictures. Need to add a portrait or two to it!! The website still isn't up, but I do own the domain name.

Edit: Ok, I had to add a white background to my cards so they don't blend into the boards!

Front
    131072326-M.jpg

Back
    131072288-M.jpg

I really like this. I think if you are going to put a potrait photo, replace the middle one. Don't really like the inverse with your name at the top IMHO. But everything looks great, nice clean, uncluttered, simple. Its a small card, and sometimes people try to cram to much on it. Some of the simplest cards are the best.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 21, 2007

watch your spelling!
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007

Much better than the first version, now that I can see it. Cleaner, less busy. A couple things. Is the diamond in the bottom left corner necessary? In the bottom line you have two ~ then an &. Keep it consistent and make all 3 ~. Its not a sentence so don't punctuate it.

Don't worry about the red X, we all have done it. And the thing is you see it fine. I did the same thing and thought people were crazy because I could see it.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Much better than the first version, now that I can see it. Cleaner, less busy. A couple things. Is the diamond in the bottom left corner necessary? In the bottom line you have two ~ then an &. Keep it consistent and make all 3 ~. Its not a sentence so don't punctuate it.

Don't worry about the red X, we all have done it. And the thing is you see it fine. I did the same thing and thought people were crazy because I could see it.

the diamond in the corner is part of the background...matches my website
    not necessary but keeps it consistent style wise. I think of it more as a "crystal" than a diamond.

you're right about the ~ and & thing...made the change and it does look better.

Thanks Angelo for the spell check...i thought it looked funny but didn't catch it!
    ~Crystal
  • Options
    LittleLisaLittleLisa Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:

Front
    131072326-M.jpg

Hey Wendell! Is that picture on the right from the buchart gardens? I think I took that same one a few years ago. When I showed it to a friend of mine she grabbed her calendar and flipped to one of the upcoming months. It was the same exact picture just with different colored flowers in different places. rolleyes1.gif It made me laugh. I guess I should have known since I had to wait my turn to stand in the same spot that 25 other people wanted to stand to get that shot. :D It's really pretty though! Really great card design! I love the color scheme and your photos really pop.

Ok, I just checked out your smugmug. I'm going to put money on that's the same place. I think my husband and I took a pic on that same bench! Beautful flower shots, btw! I bet it was hard to decide on just one for your card!
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    LittleLisa wrote:
    Hey Wendell! Is that picture on the right from the buchart gardens? I think I took that same one a few years ago. When I showed it to a friend of mine she grabbed her calendar and flipped to one of the upcoming months. It was the same exact picture just with different colored flowers in different places. rolleyes1.gif It made me laugh. I guess I should have known since I had to wait my turn to stand in the same spot that 25 other people wanted to stand to get that shot. :D It's really pretty though! Really great card design! I love the color scheme and your photos really pop.

Ok, I just checked out your smugmug. I'm going to put money on that's the same place. I think my husband and I took a pic on that same bench! Beautful flower shots, btw! I bet it was hard to decide on just one for your card!

Thanks for the comments Lisa! You are right, that picture on the right (and the one on the left) is of butchart Gardens. I have relatives that live in Victoria, about 15 minutes drive from the gardens, so we get a chance to go fairly often. We always go right when they open, so I usually don't have any problems with having people in my way. If you notice there are barely any pictures in any of my shots from there!! It is a great place to take macro flower photography. So many different kinds of flowers all in one place. I think I have the same calendar that you are talking about!! ALthough in retrospect I should have just made my own withmy own and saved my money! Lol... Like I said, I'm still working on finalizing the card, I need to replace one of the pictures with a portrait, but other than that it is pretty much finished. So it is nice to hear that you like it! :D
  • Options
    LittleLisaLittleLisa Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    ... I think I have the same calendar that you are talking about!! Although in retrospect I should have just made my own with my own and saved my money! Lol

Ha! Yeah, I'm thinking about trying out that lulu.com and making my own calendars to sell this fall for 2007! Lately I've been looking at calendars and thinking, "I have pictures that are cooler than that!" :):

Edit: ...or 2008. What year is it again? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    GoodEyeGoodEye Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    GoodEye Business Card
    goodeye_bizcard_14-up_mockup.jpg

I used the advantage of an 8-up layout to have the same card with different backgrounds...

chris
  • Options
    DavidKlDavidKl Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    I would like to print a card with a gray gradient background (to match my website). Any ideas where I can get a .jpg for printing or how to make my own for business card printing?
    Thanks.
    David
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    DavidKl wrote:
    I would like to print a card with a gray gradient background (to match my website). Any ideas where I can get a .jpg for printing or how to make my own for business card printing?
    Thanks.
    David

Do you have photoshop? You can create gradients in that. If you don't have it, pm me with an example of what you want and size, etc and I will create on for you.