Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    LexPhoto wrote:
    I posted this on its own, but I will post it here as well. Hopefully it will be seen and given CC! mwink.gif Thanks!!!

Front
    feetfrontresize.jpg

Back
    blackbackresize.jpg

I really like the front image but wonder whether you;d be able to read the smaller text when printed at the smaller business card size, unless you're having them at that big size?

The back looks a little too somber to my eye, i.e. black isn't a good colour for the back, it's too much of a contrast wit the light front IMO, also you already have 'Alexa Photography' on te front , I'd question whether you need to repeat it on the back. On your website , the second image that comes up in te slideshow , of a baby's hand in a n adult hand, that would look brilliant on the back in B+W - just a thought...
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Two comments
    1. I have plowed through every page of the "Show Us Your Card" thread. Just about went blind. It's worth your time if you haven't.
    2. I think the image on your obverse is very descriptive of what you like to photograph. I'd ditch the "Weddings, etc" because I think it's obvious. Less is more.
    Oh #3 I guess . . . I really do not like the mixture of fonts in the "one moment at a time" line.
    Then again . . . you're way ahead of me. I still don't have a card.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    LexPhotoLexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    1. I have plowed through every page of the "Show Us Your Card" thread. Just about went blind. It's worth your time if you haven't.
    2. I think the image on your obverse is very descriptive of what you like to photograph. I'd ditch the "Weddings, etc" because I think it's obvious. Less is more.
    Oh #3 I guess . . . I really do not like the mixture of fonts in the "one moment at a time" line.
    Then again . . . you're way ahead of me. I still don't have a card.

Thanks for the ideas! I did actually go through the whole "Show Me" Thread! Great thread, lots of ideas!!
    I also want to keep all that I do on the card, cause I want people to know that I do more than just weddings, which is what the picture indicates.
    I took your advice on the font for the "motto". I went with the elegant. What do you think?
    Thanks!! thumb.gif

blackbackresize-1.jpg
    LEX....
    as in Al-ex :wink

www.alexaphotos.com
    "Capturing Life...One Moment at a Time"
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Navbar isn't centered in Firefox
    Alex -

I took a look - I like the slideshow, but I noticed that in Firefox your navbar is not centered. In IE7 it is not centered but looks closer to being centered.

I would consider some revising on your about me page. It is very thrid person and reads a little bit awkwardly (By the way mine isn't any better).

Love the photos.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    LexPhoto wrote:
    Ok so I know there is a thread for business cards but with it being 85 pages deep, I just want to make sure this gets seen.

think about it: the thread is long, filled, and POPULAR. There's a reason for that. Lots of people are used to seeing and posting here. And they subscribe to it.

NEW thread not necessary, and in fact, is actually detrimental in this case, since the valuable replies to your thread would not be seen or saved in the main thread.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    think about it: the thread is long, filled, and POPULAR. There's a reason for that. Lots of people are used to seeing and posting here. And they subscribe to it.

NEW thread not necessary, and in fact, is actually detrimental in this case, since the valuable replies to your thread would not be seen or saved in the main thread.

Sorry Andy. Dont want to cause a rif
    :cry
    I actually did post it in here as well. I have gotten a few comments back. Thanks again. Sorry for breaking rules. deal.gif
    LEX....

www.alexaphotos.com
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    bkatz wrote:
    Alex -

I took a look - I like the slideshow, but I noticed that in Firefox your navbar is not centered. In IE7 it is not centered but looks closer to being centered.

I would consider some revising on your about me page. It is very thrid person and reads a little bit awkwardly (By the way mine isn't any better).

Love the photos.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it has been off center...I am not sure yet how to "adjust" it in FF. I need to work on that! :D
    Thanks for the advice on the "about me" page. It was VERY difficult for me to write. I actually looked at a few, most talked in 3rd person. I will have to work on it. Thanks again! clap.gif
    LEX....

www.alexaphotos.com
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    post in the sm customization to center
    LexPhoto wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah it has been off center...I am not sure yet how to "adjust" it in FF. I need to work on that! :D
    Thanks for the advice on the "about me" page. It was VERY difficult for me to write. I actually looked at a few, most talked in 3rd person. I will have to work on it. Thanks again! clap.gif
    Alex -
    Post it in the SM customization forum and you will have help very quickly centering it in all 3 browsers.:D
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    LexPhoto wrote:
    I also want to keep all that I do on the card, cause I want people to know that I do more than just weddings, which is what the picture indicates. I took your advice on the font for the "motto". I went with the elegant. What do you think?

I'm still not sure I like the mixed font styles on the back. It looks like you have the top line to match the front, second and third lines are the same font (but different sizes) and then the script at the bottom is another font altoghether.

Why not have the same font for lines #2 & #3 match the first line/front headscratch.gif ?
    And why the different italicized font for the bottom tagline?
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    kevinheltonkevinhelton Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Simple, Cheap, and (I hope) Effective
    Yet another business card in the fish bowl. Is there a drawing for a free lunch for a lucky winner? :D

Great seeing all of the great cards here. Here is mine...

221518657-O.png

I use the main box logo everywhere to infuse it in the brains of the clients and hypnotize them into using me mwink.gif. J/K. I went for clean, simple, and something that would print cheap on a business card.

Kevin Helton
    Kevin Helton
    Kevin Helton Photography
    www.kevinhelton.com
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    There are some amazing cards to see here. I want to make one for myself
    and was wondering where you guys get your design ideas from, is there sth.
    like a "best pracices for designing a bussines card" reading? thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Yet another business card in the fish bowl. Is there a drawing for a free lunch for a lucky winner? :D

Great seeing all of the great cards here. Here is mine...

221518657-O.png

I use the main box logo everywhere to infuse it in the brains of the clients and hypnotize them into using me mwink.gif. J/K. I went for clean, simple, and something that would print cheap on a business card.

Kevin Helton

i like the left side of your card a lot... but something on the right isn't quite right... perhaps the justification of the text along the right? maybe the bleed off the right side? i'm not sure...it's just odd, IMO. doesn't match the left side.
  • Options
    kevinheltonkevinhelton Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    i like the left side of your card a lot... but something on the right isn't quite right... perhaps the justification of the text along the right? maybe the bleed off the right side? i'm not sure...it's just odd, IMO. doesn't match the left side.

Yeah, I think I'm with you on that. I'll probably try to correct that next time. I've got a few hundred left to disperse before then :D . Thanks for the comment (and confirmation!)

Kevin
    Kevin Helton
    Kevin Helton Photography
    www.kevinhelton.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    There are some amazing cards to see here. I want to make one for myself and was wondering where you guys get your design ideas from, is there like a "best practices for designing a business card" reading? thumb.gif

There are books on the basics of identity design and desktop publishing. I'll try and get post links to the better ones. But first thing you should do is to look at lots of different cards and make notes about what you like and dislike. Somewhere in this thread there was a link to a website with TONS of examples, some pretty funky, but a lot of just very nice ones.

I would then try and find a graphic designer who does this type of work. Even a college student with a couple of years experience would work, or ask family and friends. Just to have someone go "No, you never do that". Like Bold Italicized Underlined words. rolleyes1.gif

Some of the first things they will ask you is who is your target market, and what image (as in perception of your work) are you trying to suggest. Like my photography, I tried not to get overly committed to an idea. I asked a number of people whose opinions I respect for feedback.

I asked a friend you runs a photo archive and gallery for places to look - Lens Review, Aperature, etc. - for ideas. For instance most traditional gallery/collectors magazines have identities using a serif font, many are script serif. But there were some sans serif, block letters.

At a minimum, read the feedback on some of the posts here. Some key points are: less is more, multiple points of contact are important, make sure it works with other 'branding' elements (like a web page), take the feedback to heart.

Hope that helps! thumb.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    This is my latest design.

224008174-M.jpg

My information is in black on white, large print on the back. This gives me a clean canvas to showcase my work and easy to read, vital information on the back.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    Stella BellaStella Bella Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    So I'm just in the beginning of my photography "career" (if you can even call it that yet- although I do have my first real client next week wings.gif ) and started off with a rather blah card....I like it, but it just wasn't me.

Well, I found a logo that I really really like. If you knew me it fits perfectly. I actually have a tattoo very similar to the turtle on the card.

Let me know what you think. I'm doing mostly children and families and really like the fresh colors and keeping it super simple.

Front
    224452908-S-1.jpg

Back
    224452900-S-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!
  • Options
    newwindsornewwindsor Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 28, 2007
    That's a keeper!
    So I'm just in the beginning of my photography "career" (if you can even call it that yet- although I do have my first real client next week wings.gif ) and started off with a rather blah card....I like it, but it just wasn't me.

Well, I found a logo that I really really like. If you knew me it fits perfectly. I actually have a tattoo very similar to the turtle on the card.

Let me know what you think. I'm doing mostly children and families and really like the fresh colors and keeping it super simple.

Front
    224452908-S-1.jpg

Back
    224452900-S-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    I really like the colors and the simplicity of the design - what else do you need? As long as the light green prints well for the email and phone, I'd say you're good to go. And I'm really glad to see a card with just ONE font!
  • Options
    RayManganRayMangan Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    revision here....
    I decided to work over my business card this afternoon, let me know what you think....

business-card-web.jpg
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    RayMangan wrote:
    I decided to work over my business card this afternoon, let me know what you think....

business-card-web.jpg

Its very good, but looks more like a designers card than a photographersmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    RayMangan wrote:

business-card-web.jpg

I like it very much. Great design elements, clean, easy to read. :D
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    alexalex Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    RayMangan wrote:

business-card-web.jpg
    It looks great! The only thing that bothers me is the location of the phone number. I'm not quite sure where to put it, but don't like it that close to the email address.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    RayMangan wrote:
    let me know what you think....
    Text in all-uppercase fonts is always harder to read. Is it really necessary?
  • Options
    RayManganRayMangan Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    good ideas on the lowercase thing, thanks.

here's another revision...
    business-card-web-2.jpg

I'm not sure why the white edge on the left is showing up here. It's not there in the pdf I'm sending to my printer no matter how far I zoom in. Also this includes the bleed so the edges won't be as big as they are here.

edit: fixed the white edge, it was there after all.
  • Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Yes, I agree with the lowercase change... it really brought importance to your name in caps. someone else mentioned the phone placement was bothering them (not sure if that was you or someone else).. but this is what my eyes see.... let your phone number stand alone on the right (more importance), and put your web information together (two lines, email and website) on the left.

But I just mostly wanted to say I think the design and colors and clean stylistic look of your card looks AWESOME!!! clap.gif

I have changed my biz card about 3 times so far with photos and now without. I will try to post my new one again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com

• Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    227096083-S.jpg

This is an old one.... or "What NOT to do". I have learned a lot since then, thanks to this forum. Too many fonts, too busy, yikes, what was I thinking? And I was trying to find a "brand" or logo design and this wasn't working. My biggest question was whether to include a photograph on my cards. But I was finding the photos I used on the card were too client-specific...in other words, I shoot weddings, location portraiture, studio portraiture, families, babies and events. And this card wouldn't 'speak' to a prospective wedding client.

Hence, the change to a non-photo business card with just my new logo/branding. I now use these tourqouise and brown colors for all my packaging and this name logo is my watermark etc etc.

Oh and as a side note... I create personalized client business cards for each of my clients with one of THEIR shots from their session on 8 'business cards" that I create on wallets using my business card design.. I just add their photo to the side and shrink my biz infor.to the left and add their name to their picture. They LOVE LOVE LOVE this 'gift' and share it with all their friends and KEEP my personalized-client business card in their wallet. I ran into a client I did a YEAR ago and he showed me the wallet-business card with my photo of his family was STILL in his wallet a year later... BEST AND CHEAPEST FORM OF ADVERTISING I EVER INVESTED IN!!! (similar to my card above, but with my new logo brand and more streamlined)

ok.. so here is my streamlined, information only business card. This is the front and the back lists what photography I do. So, how can I improve with this ? All help is appreciated. Thanks, Diane

227096089-M.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Hi Diane,

I like your old card much (!) more. The warm colors,
    the graphical elements on the left and the font used
    show that you care for detail. The image on the right
    shows that your photos are about emotions. What a
    great way to present your bussines! The one on the
    bottom however looks very cold and unprofessional
    with its simple logo and boring text elements. It may
    technicaly be more "correct" but as a photographer
    you're not selling technical perfection you are really
    selling memories. Thus I believe one shoudln't advertise
    only the bussiness with a bussinescard but also the
    product you are trying to sell to the client. I've mentioned
    it above and the 1st card has it all. thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Hi Diane,

I like your old card much (!) more. I've mentioned
    it above and the 1st card has it all. thumb.gif

Thanks so much for the positive thumb.gif on the 1st photo version business card. So, as a 'general' card to all clients inquiring for my services whether it be a bride, a bar mitzvah or a family portaiture session.. you feel the first photo card will still do the trick? I still have a ton of those cards as well, I just thought it limited my client base.... but glad to have your positive feedback. I have plenty of the newer graphic version, which can be used on my packaging etc. Waste not , want not. Or perhaps the graphic version can be the backside of a photo version front... just tossing ideas around.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Diane S wrote:

Oh and as a side note... I create personalized client business cards for each of my clients with one of THEIR shots from their session on 8 'business cards" that I create on wallets using my business card design.. I just add their photo to the side and shrink my biz infor.to the left and add their name to their picture. They LOVE LOVE LOVE this 'gift' and share it with all their friends and KEEP my personalized-client business card in their wallet. I ran into a client I did a YEAR ago and he showed me the wallet-business card with my photo of his family was STILL in his wallet a year later... BEST AND CHEAPEST FORM OF ADVERTISING I EVER INVESTED IN!!! (similar to my card above, but with my new logo brand and more streamlined)

Just wanted to say that I love this idea! thumb.gif (And I also like the first card more...)
  • Options
    Stella BellaStella Bella Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Diane,

I vote for your latest card. Mostly because I prefer simplicity. And the colors are great.

I also struggle with putting a picture on my cards or not and I guess I haven't figured out the right mixture yet.

I really like your idea about client business cards. Do you have an example you could share?? It's just a BRILLIANT idea!
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    RayMangan wrote:
    good ideas on the lowercase thing, thanks.

here's another revision...
    business-card-web-2.jpg

I'm not sure why the white edge on the left is showing up here. It's not there in the pdf I'm sending to my printer no matter how far I zoom in. Also this includes the bleed so the edges won't be as big as they are here.

edit: fixed the white edge, it was there after all.

I happen to agree with the comments made re: the font/caps. On the phone #, maybe you could center it on the same line. Then leave the web/e-mail inof in hte same place but drop them down 1/2 to a full line, still leaving a border.
    -Fleetwood Mac