Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Diane,

I really like your idea about client business cards. Do you have an example you could share?? It's just a BRILLIANT idea!

Thanks! Yes, I actually do this client business card (wallet) for all my sessions now. I have created a few templates in photoshop with my text and places for images.. and just pop in an image from their session, customize the colors if needed, and in a few minutes they are ready to go to the printer. Then I just order a sheet of wallets and I have 'free' advertising from a happy client. That client also gets a free 8x10 from any future referral client that books a session.

I created a gallery with a selection of my client customised business cards here

here is one sample:

227224453-M.jpg

I hope that helps... it really does help business and referrals... and when they ask for more because they passed them all out, I'm happy to give them another set.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com

• Options
    Stella BellaStella Bella Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Very cool, Diana! Thanks for posting them!
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Diane S wrote:
    Thanks! Yes, I actually do this client business card (wallet) for all my sessions now. I have created a few templates in photoshop with my text and places for images.. and just pop in an image from their session, customize the colors if needed, and in a few minutes they are ready to go to the printer. Then I just order a sheet of wallets and I have 'free' advertising from a happy client. That client also gets a free 8x10 from any future referral client that books a session.

I created a gallery with a selection of my client customised business cards here

My favorites are 10, 2 and 3 in that order.
    Have you tried taking your website banner
    and making it into a card? The Idea of
    having a picture on one side and and very
    simple and elegant text on the other is
    also a neat idea. Thats what I'm trying
    to do with my card atm too.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    My favorites are 10, 2 and 3 in that order.
    Have you tried taking your website banner
    and making it into a card? The Idea of
    having a picture on one side and and very
    simple and elegant text on the other is
    also a neat idea. Thats what I'm trying
    to do with my card atm too.

Thanks for looking. My fav is also 10, which is how my original business card posted above with the same mom and son came to be my photography business card, just a different pose with their eyes closed. And actually my website banner is my 'wedding' business card but in postcard size, with information about my wedding packages etc on the back. Which is why I ended up with several different business cards.. some with the wedding image, some with the mom and son (family) and then the graphic text only.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    Here are a few of the business cards I was thinking of on the pet side of my business. Let me know if they are too dull in just black and white and I can always splash some color. I thought it was kind of classic looking. The "all species welcome" line seems strange, but I want people to know that I don't just do cats and dogs. What do you think?

Cat-
    227328594-M.jpg227328606-M.jpg
    Dog-
    227328621-M.jpg227328606-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    Here are a few of the business cards I was thinking of on the pet side of my business. Let me know if they are too dull in just black and white and I can always splash some color. What do you think?

I like the black and white... it has a classic tone. good idea for photo on one side and your business infor on back.. i like that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Here are a few of the business cards I was thinking of on the pet side of my business.
    Let me know if they are too dull in just black and white and I can always splash some color.
    I thought it was kind of classic looking.
    The "all species welcome" line seems strange, but I want people to know that I don't just do cats and dogs.
    What do you think?

Dog-
    227328621-M.jpg

I too like the B+W. On the dog image it seems a little blown out on some of the highlights, specifically the right side of the nose (facing the image).

I like the whimsy of the species comment. But aren't you being a little too exclusive? Maybe genus or even phylum would be better!
    :lol :lol
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I too like the B+W. On the dog image it seems a little blown out on some of the highlights, specifically the right side of the nose (facing the image).

I like the whimsy of the species comment. But aren't you being a little too exclusive? Maybe genus or even phylum would be better!
    :lol :lol

I agree on the picture. I'm going to work on it some more. It was difficult lighting and I have an action that I would like to try on it.

I think there may be people that don't even know what a phylum is rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    I think there may be people that don't even know what a phylum is rolleyes1.gif

Unwashed masses :bluduh

That's what you hack up when you have an over active post nasal drip. nod.gif
    I thought everyone new that. rolleyes1.gif

:hide
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    TheBrokenMarineTheBrokenMarine Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    I went with a two-sided card.

cardscanzf5.jpg
    Canon EOS40D: Canon 28-135, Quantaray 70-300, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 100-400 4.5, Canon 24-105L

Pentax K10D/Pentax istDL: Tamron 70-210, Pentax 100-300, Pentax 18-55, Pentax 28-200, Pentax 28-80

www.sharpshooter-photography.com
  • Options
    kara*kara* Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Diane S wrote:

This is a great idea. I haven't started a referral program, but I do give my clients some 3.5x5 prints with a few images and my website address. So far I've gotten really positive feedback, and I use the same image for the cover of their proof book (if they order enough to get it) :D I love making a new card each time.
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    At first I thought my 'new' Smugmug nickname was a little cheesy, but ya know...it's grown on me. Here's my card. I've only ordered 100, so I don't feel too locked into the design. It's similar to one I posted here a while back but never ordered. Glad I didn't since I ended up changing the name.

Let me know what ya think. Like I said, I only ordered 100...and I'll take any suggestions seriously for the next batch. :):

Front:
    235519850-S-2.png

Back:
    235519819-S.jpg
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    At first I thought my 'new' Smugmug nickname was a little cheesy, but ya know...it's grown on me. Here's my card. I've only ordered 100, so I don't feel too locked into the design. It's similar to one I posted here a while back but never ordered. Glad I didn't since I ended up changing the name.

Let me know what ya think. Like I said, I only ordered 100...and I'll take any suggestions seriously for the next batch. :):

Front:
    235519850-S-2.png

Back:
    235519819-S.jpg

Jen ~
    I like the card, layout, and sense of humor. Nice image (sllghtly blown out flower), one font.

However there is no contact info. If you are making this a simple way to find you, at least an e-mal address. If more of a true (define anyway you want) business venture, a phone # should also be on there. Even a cell #.

On the definitions, find or make up one that ties flip to you and you photography. Maybe cut #2 down to 2 words (excited & delighted).
    Then have another defintion under the one you have, like
    Flipography: 1) Excited, impertinent, delightful, and crazy photography by Jen.

Also, register flipography.com so you have it for future use.
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Jen ~
    I like the card, layout, and sense of humor. Nice image (sllghtly blown out flower), one font.

However there is no contact info. If you are making this a simple way to find you, at least an e-mal address. If more of a true (define anyway you want) business venture, a phone # should also be on there. Even a cell #.

On the definitions, find or make up one that ties flip to you and you photography. Maybe cut #2 down to 2 words (excited & delighted).
    Then have another defintion under the one you have, like
    Flipography: 1) Excited, impertinent, delightful, and crazy photography by Jen.

Also, register flipography.com so you have it for future use.

Dave, thanks for the input! I should have explained my choice on why I made the card the way I did. This is a page from Andy's book...not having contact info gives me a few extra moments with the person receiving the card while I personally write it down. :)

I like your suggestion for the definitions, and I'll definitely take it into consideration for the next batch. I do have flipography.com registered, but I don't have a pro account here to use it with. I can afford to register the domain, but not a pro account! rolleyes1.gif Really I registered it for two years in case I ever do have a pro account here. :):
    Jen

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    JenW wrote:

Front:
    235519850-S-2.png

Back:
    235519819-S.jpg
    I like it. I think "flipography" is creative. But I'm not so sure I'd get the idea that this was the card of a photographer. It could be a crazy flipped out typographer or oceanographer or stenographer or ... well you get the point hopefully.

Also, I'm down with the whole give yourself extra time with the person by having to write down your contact info thing. It's not my style (btw my style most certainly doesn't work as well as Andy's style) but it works. One thing I'd say is make things easier on yourself. Give yourself roooooooooom on the back to write that contact info down. Consider moving your site address up towards the top or bottom so you have more card to write on. deal.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    Ok, I've liked both suggestions so much I put my order on hold to experiment some more. I want to leave the front pretty much as-is, but I've played with the card back a bit. I used Dave's suggestion of a definition for flipography, put at the top of the card, and moved the website to the bottom...leaving room in the middle for contact info. What do you think...to busy? Good?

235943960-S-1.png
    Jen

• Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    Ok, I've liked both suggestions so much I put my order on hold to experiment some more. I want to leave the front pretty much as-is, but I've played with the card back a bit. I used Dave's suggestion of a definition for flipography, put at the top of the card, and moved the website to the bottom...leaving room in the middle for contact info. What do you think...to busy? Good?

235943960-S-1.png
    I'm not flipping over the alignment, but I'm struggling with how I'd change it. I think I'd start by bolding "flipography:" and smallerizing "(noun)". Then, I don't know. It's sort of centered and not centered all at the same time. Kind of jarring IMO. But my spidey senses aren't tingling on what to do with it.

Uh. Hope that helps headscratch.gif

• Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    How about this?

235943960-S-2.png
    Jen

• Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    How about this?

235943960-S-2.png
    Better. Maybe someone else can weigh in though?

• Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Better. Maybe someone else can weigh in though?
    What about formatting/aligning the Flipography definition like the ones on the front -

Flipography:
    1. (noun) Crazy....

Either way, it might look better to align the text to the left

Love the idea, and the card, BTW
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    mike_k wrote:
    What about formatting/aligning the Flipography definition like the ones on the front -

Flipography:
    1. (noun) Crazy....

Either way, it might look better to align the text to the left

Love the idea, and the card, BTW

Hi there, Mike. Before I changed the link, the text on the definition on the back was aligned to the left rather than centered. I didn't really care for the look, and neither did Mike Lane, so I changed it to centered. Personally, I think it looks slightly better this way. :): Whatever, I only ordered 100 of them. :D
    Jen

• Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    JenW wrote:

I'm glad you liked the idea. On the centering/alignment I'm not sure either, but definitely bold flipography.
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    Jen, I think you've got a very nice card now :D

• Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    Thanks!!! :D
    Jen

• Options
    kara*kara* Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    I just ordered this one last night... not sure if it's "me", but I only got 50 so I can change my mind. :) This is more traditional than my last card.

This is what it looks like ** minus the watermarks & blurred out phone # **
    Front:

Back:

Anything I should do differently next time? ne_nau.gif I have days when I just like to create things in PS, so I'll put any suggestions to good use! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2007
    kara* wrote:
    I just ordered this one last night... not sure if it's "me", but I only got 50 so I can change my mind. :) This is more traditional than my last card.

This is what it looks like ** minus the watermarks & blurred out phone # **
    Front:
    236548523-L.jpg

Back:
    236548505-L.jpg

Anything I should do differently next time? ne_nau.gif I have days when I just like to create things in PS, so I'll put any suggestions to good use! mwink.gif

Just my 2 cents.....
    I like the simplicity of the photo on the front.. but maybe I would put your business name on that front photo "R.K.Hudson Photography" (minus the quote marks) , and maybe in the same tan color as the background of the backside.. to tie in that color to the front.
    And on the back side eliminate the text "Phone:", "email:", and "website", since that information is obvious .. just have that information without saying what it is... "less is more" ....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Front of business card
    I've been playing with this idea for a while; what does anyone think of it?

I'm still working on the back of the card.. The general idea is that the back will have the contact info. I'm trying hard to use only three fonts on the whole card--but, I'm still concerned that might be too many... Any thoughts?

238747289-L.jpg
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:

I'm still working on the back of the card.. The general idea is that the back will have the contact info. I'm trying hard to use only three fonts on the whole card--but, I'm still concerned that might be too many... Any thoughts?

238747289-L.jpg

Nice layout and look! I would probably exchange the 2nd and 4th image
    because the models look unexcited and uneasy. Otherwise a very good card!
    thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    How about this?

235943960-S-2.png

Hi Jen, to my eye the top text is too small
    I would like to see aversion with just 'Flipography; on the top line and slightly wider than the top line text currently is, OR anything that makes the top section of text wider (or at least as wide) as the text at bottom

Whilst I like the image on the front I feel it says nothing about your photography i.e. how does it relate to 'flipography'?/ - how does it portray the 'crazy, impertinent etc.. it appears to do the opposite.. i.e. suggest 'demure, safe, pretty'?

FWIWmwink.gif

just looking through your gallery for ; crazy, impertinent etc Could you use one of these on your card?

I like these:
    http://flipography.smugmug.com/gallery/3807546#P-2-12
    http://flipography.smugmug.com/gallery/3807546#105475846
    http://flipography.smugmug.com/gallery/3807546#105596532
    http://flipography.smugmug.com/gallery/2051388#105422340
    http://flipography.smugmug.com/gallery/3949615#229478434
    http://flipography.smugmug.com/gallery/2050910#105399806
    http://flipography.smugmug.com/gallery/2901928#156155058
    These are my favourite candidates:
    http://flipography.smugmug.com/gallery/2083426#107401745
    http://flipography.smugmug.com/gallery/2083426#107401729
    http://flipography.smugmug.com/gallery/2083426#107401722
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:

238747289-L.jpg
    I finished up the back of the card....
    238911154-L.jpg

Opinions/criticism? Anything is appreciated! Thanks for looking!