Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,459 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    The company that I am having them printed through (www.gotprint.com) told me to show them where to cut them at, which is what that black border is. I also gave them the PSD file, so they can adjust it how it needs to be.

Yes, I am a Senior in high school, but I dont see what that has to do with my business card.

I asked several friends (adults not kids if thats what you're thinking)that are business owners in my area, and they all said they like it more with the border.

Absolutely nothing, in fact I like the design of your card...for the most part.

It was your comment ..."already ordered them so ha! you can't make me change my mind now" that made me think that you were a little 'young'.

I'd like to see how it looks when you have it printed. I hope they can cut it square. Check this out, #9. :D
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Actually, you're supposed to remove the lines before you send them the file to print. Those are just guidelines for you. You might want to download their templates and they will have the guidlines set up for you already with the instructions to make sure to remove them. I also am not so sure about the PSD, I don't think they will do any adjusting for you for obvious reasons. Check out the uploading specs again to be sure.

really? I wish they would've said something about that in the preparing your file section. cause it said to add crop marks, and didn't say to take them out?
    CROP MARKS:
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Please build your press-ready digital files by adding crop marks.
    Lines indicating where the paper should be cut to produce the correct size.
    [/FONT]

Unless I'm reading that wrong it says to add them... Like I said, if they dont turn out good, I'm only out $20 and I'll reorder them without any bordering.
    Jer
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    really? I wish they would've said something about that in the preparing your file section. cause it said to add crop marks, and didn't say to take them out?

Unless I'm reading that wrong it says to add them... Like I said, if they dont turn out good, I'm only out $20 and I'll reorder them without any bordering.

Just when ever they send you a proof, don't accept it and reupload one w/o the boarders.

Here is what the template for the 4x6 postacard says.

446737416_PHjRJ-L.jpg
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Just when ever they send you a proof, don't accept it and reupload one w/o the boarders.

Here is what the template for the 4x6 postacard says.

ok, see I wasn't looking at 4x6 postcards... but yeah, I'll decline it then upload another one without borders.
    Jer
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    gimme $50 and your logo and i'll design you some suh-weet biz cards. mwink.gif

i've already posted what my cards look like... i've since made a few small changes...

here's my first card from a few years ago with a blank back
    152035594_uGAW9-M-1.jpg

then i decided those sucked so i made this:

back
    151896510_qXyeT-M.jpg

front
    151896075_Z3Y4M-M-1.jpg

about a year later, i decided that sucked so i made this:

front
    243979592_Fin9b-M-1.jpg

back
    244338700_qroZE-M.jpg

...but no one seemed to understand that you were supposed to look at the card portrait style...even with the giant "4" in the background... so i snipped the best of each design and made these; which are now my current cards in heavy gloss card stock with rounded corners...

front:
    243979592_Fin9b-M-1.jpg

back:
    151896510_qXyeT-M.jpg

now i just need to quit being so damned lazy and make some cards for my seppes.com domain (more general photog rather than just motorbikes).
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    This is one i'm working on as we speak.... here's what i have so far. Any input would be much appreciated!!!!! thumb.gif

FRONT:
    448145478_dnWeK-L.jpg

BACK:
    448145460_9DuTg-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Raphy wrote:
    This is one i'm working on as we speak.... here's what i have so far. Any input would be much appreciated!!!!! thumb.gif

BACK:
    448145460_9DuTg-L.jpg

front = nice!
    back = ...but why you gonna give someone a pic of yourself? especially one that appears as though you may not have even taken it.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    front = nice!
    back = ...but why you gonna give someone a pic of yourself? especially one that appears as though you may not have even taken it.

I agree, I think for your card a simple black and white self portrait... you know, one of those close up ones where you're wearing a black turtle neck?mwink.gif Would look a lot better for this card.

Otherwise I like it, and especially that your name is part of Photography that's cool. What if you did something other than photography? it wouldn't work. You're name has destined you to be a photographer.:D
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    THanks guys... i did take the self-portrait myself... i thought i goes with the "mood" of the card and my website... i'm still undecided about the photo... but u really think it doesn't work ??? headscratch.gif

thanks for the input - i appreciate it !!!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Raphy wrote:
    THanks guys... i did take the self-portrait myself... i thought i goes with the "mood" of the card and my website... i'm still undecided about the photo... but u really think it doesn't work ??? headscratch.gif

I take it back, I like it. it does match your website, and probably your personality. I didn't look at your site before, and its amazing. Did you do that yourself?

anyways. I think if you could redo the picture, except facing the other way. It just feels like you're running away from the text which kind of creates tension when looking at it.
    Jer
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Raphy wrote:
    i'm still undecided about the photo...
    Stick with it! The card is your card, to introduce you.

IMHO your chosen image is clean and professional, large but not dominant, and consistent with the overall look and feel of the card. It sure beats a montage smorgasbord of tiny, unmemorable thumbnails that are often seen on business cards posted here!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    I take it back, I like it. it does match your website, and probably your personality. I didn't look at your site before, and its amazing. Did you do that yourself?

Thanks ! I just finished the site... i actually used a template and modified it to suit my needs. Still needs some work but overall i'm happy - especially considering i don't know much about flash or html... lol... so this was/is a big learning experience...
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Stick with it! The card is your card, to introduce you.

IMHO your chosen image is clean and professional, large but not dominant, and consistent with the overall look and feel of the card. It sure beats a montage smorgasbord of tiny, unmemorable thumbnails that are often seen on business cards posted here!

Thanks a lot for the comments. thumb.gif ... i only said i'm undecided about the photo cause when i took the photo, i wasn't aiming to glorify my charming good looks rolleyes1.gif ... i just don't want to come across as some miserable grumpy photog rolleyes1.gifeek7.gif

:D
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Raphy wrote:

IMO, after taking a quick glance at yer site, i think you've got way better pics that still "fit the mood" to choose from other than a self portrait.

i could be the minority, but if someone gave me a card with a pic of themself on it, it'd make me giggle... unless she was really hot. :D
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    What do u guys think of putting a line like "events - weddings - live music - headshots - portraits" etc etc.... to show what i do ? or would not having that line make you want to go and visit the site to see what it is that i do ?

i'm new at this so let me know what u think headscratch.gif ... and thank you for all the feedback so far!

thank you thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    IMO, after taking a quick glance at yer site, i think you've got way better pics that still "fit the mood" to choose from other than a self portrait.

I have thought (and still thinking) about this - but the problem i'm having is choosing that pic.... if i choose a motorcycle, ppl will assume i only do bikes, if i have a landscape, ppl will think i only do landscapes, etc. you get the point... so at least with this pic, it's just plain old me... lol

man..this is hard... lol headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Raphy wrote:
    I have thought (and still thinking) about this - but the problem i'm having is choosing that pic.... if i choose a motorcycle, ppl will assume i only do bikes, if i have a landscape, ppl will think i only do landscapes, etc. you get the point... so at least with this pic, it's just plain old me... lol

you could put a picture of a photo... deal.gif

poloroid.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    you could put a picture of a photo... deal.gif

poloroid.gif

Laughing.gif.... nice ! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    On my business card I say what I specialize in. I think its good to have it because then people know when to come to YOU to get their pictures done. Customers dont want to have to go to your site to see what you do. They go there to see how well you can do the things you say you can do. Get what I'm saying?

Where did you get the template? by chance... was it free?:D I'm sure it wasn't though:cry I hate being a low budget photographer.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    On my business card I say what I specialize in. I think its good to have it because then people know when to come to YOU to get their pictures done. Customers dont want to have to go to your site to see what you do. They go there to see how well you can do the things you say you can do. Get what I'm saying?

less is more, more often than not, methinks.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    less is more, more often than not, methinks.

True, but its not like it takes up THAT much room on the card... all in all, its up to him how he wants his card. My vote is yes for the specialties...
    Jer
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Raphy wrote:

I would retake the photograph, because the facial expression shows indifference to me. Just my opinion of course thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    Raphy wrote:

I'm not sure if I like the embossing on the text. Since you have your own domain, then lose the yahoo e-mail and use your name@yourname.com. Using a yahoo, gmail etc looks so un-professional looking IMO.

I like your 'logo' and I remember working on it a few months ago. :D Not a big fan of photos on a business card, but this doesn't look too bad. I agree with Jeremy...put the photo on the other side. As it is it looks like your looking into space.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    One more thing....I would list your specialties. It looks like you shoot just about everything anyway, so just say "Photographer".

On my card I just say "Photography", but seeing my card, it should be obvious that I shoot nature and not weddings, portraits etc! :D

HikerDudeBusinessCard.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    HikerDudeBusinessCard.jpg

ooh! i like that one! simple and poignant at the same time! atwater, eh? i've shot at the track down there. :D
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    ooh! i like that one! simple and poignant at the same time! atwater, eh? i've shot at the track down there. :D
    Thanks!...and I used to drag race in Sacramento Raceway!
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    OK, so i spent most of the evening so far getting my new email address at my domain. So it is now info *at* raphnogal *dot* com :) much better than the YAHOO one... thanks for the suggestion !!!

I also worked on changing the self portrait and looking the other way towards the text and it just doesn't work. additionally, I came up with this for the BACK of the card.... i plan on keeping the logo on the front as indicated earlier :)

...any thoughts ?

449699229_2nVvt-L.jpg

headscratch.gifne_nau.gifeek7.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    Raphy wrote:
    ...any thoughts ?

iz nize!
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    iz nize!

Thanks...

OK so now THIS IS MY FINAL DESIGN for the back of the card... THE END ! rolleyes1.gif

449820909_dinu4-L.jpg

Thanks you all for your feedback - it is priceless ! THANKS !!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Raphy wrote:
    Thanks...

OK so now THIS IS MY FINAL DESIGN for the back of the card... THE END ! rolleyes1.gif

449820909_dinu4-L.jpg

Thanks you all for your feedback - it is priceless ! THANKS !!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

just a quick heads up, but the dark text prolly won't show up on the cards...or be so faint no one will ever notice it.