Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    MercybluesMercyblues Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    ScarletIris Business Card
    Hi All...I'm fairly new to Dgrin...I've been lurking for a while now, but should be a little more visible going forward...thought this was a great way to get my "face" on board!

http://scarletirisphoto.smugmug.com/photos/453790944_sNr8m-S.jpg

Thanks! Mare
    Scarlet Iris Photography
    "Capturing the Dramatic in Every Day Life"
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I thought I had already posted these here, but apparently I haven't (at least not that I could find)

AWESOME!
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    These were all through whcc.com? How did you design these with the software that they provide for you to download? I couldn't figure out how to do anything with that software. I'm looking to put multiple pictures and company name on one side and contact info and services on back side, or something. I'd have to play with it. But could not figure out their software for the life of me.

Are these other places people have recommended easily customizable to create your own card?

From what I saw, all they provide is a template with the bleed lines/areas included. One for the front and another for the back (though it's the same file). The bleeds required a bit of redesigning but nothing too bad (1/2 inch isn't a big deal on a 12x24 book spread... it's a big deal on a 2x3.5 in card) I got burned on the bleed really bad on the dress/train/bouquet one because they cut it really odd and nearly removed the hand, making it look a little odd in person... but overall I'm very happy.

So I made 4 separate fronts in photoshop and the 1 back, also in PS... I then made 4 separate orders (which is a bit annoying, but hey, free shipping, whatever). They actually all came to my studio in the same box.

It's actually quite clear in ROES. If you continue to have trouble, feel free to email me, I'll walk you through it.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    From what I saw, all they provide is a template with the bleed lines/areas included. One for the front and another for the back (though it's the same file). The bleeds required a bit of redesigning but nothing too bad (1/2 inch isn't a big deal on a 12x24 book spread... it's a big deal on a 2x3.5 in card)

So I made 4 separate fronts in photoshop and the 1 back, also in PS... I then made 4 separate orders (which is a bit annoying, but hey, free shipping, whatever). They actually all came to my studio in the same box.

It's actually quite clear in ROES. If you continue to have trouble, feel free to email me, I'll walk you through it.

Creating the fronts in PS makes so much more sense. That way I can do whatever I want to it and not rely on the ROES software. I'll try that. Thanks! If I can't go from there, I'll email you. Thank you!
  • Options
    bellbivdevobellbivdevo Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    captnemo wrote:
    I too use Vistaprint and have been very happy with the cards I recieved from them- They send rather a lot of junk mail though, how many cases of customised stationary do they think I'll order :)
    408206254_v3QuN-S-2.jpg

I like!thumb.gif sticks out from the crowd!
  • Options
    bellbivdevobellbivdevo Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Highsee3 wrote:
    385251865_jA6yA-L.jpg
    385251951_o5zpG-L.jpg

thumb.gif awsome!
  • Options
    SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Wow Lots of reading...
    I have read almost every single page on this thread and came away with some good information. Here is mine and I hope I captured the right "look"

472192116_ASM5w-L.jpg
    Kandie Kingery

Become a fan of Stone Creek Photography
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,459 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    SCP wrote:
    I have read almost every single page on this thread and came away with some good information. Here is mine and I hope I captured the right "look"

What does a waterfall have to do with "Equine and Historical Photographer"? headscratch.gif

If you were a landscape/nature photographer, then I think you nailed it...although I'm not a fan of photo business cards.
  • Options
    SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    I knew I should have added the Historical Landscape part on there.

I do a-lot of Landscapes, Historical and Equine Photography.. I just didn't want to put the laundry list of what I photograph. I tried hard to specialize in something but that didn't work out well as I really enjoy Visiting Historical and National parks and photographing the richness in them on that same hand I LOVE photographing Horses in all aspects. so I just dubbed myself a Equine Photographer and Historical Landscapes.

That was probably more of a explanation then you wanted though.
    Kandie Kingery

Become a fan of Stone Creek Photography
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2009
    SCP wrote:
    I knew I should have added the Historical Landscape part on there.

I do a-lot of Landscapes, Historical and Equine Photography.. I just didn't want to put the laundry list of what I photograph. I tried hard to specialize in something but that didn't work out well as I really enjoy Visiting Historical and National parks and photographing the richness in them on that same hand I LOVE photographing Horses in all aspects. so I just dubbed myself a Equine Photographer and Historical Landscapes.

That was probably more of a explanation then you wanted though.

Thanks for the explanation. I still feel that your photo represents what you specialize....nature/landscape. Since you also do equine photography, maybe just using a card with out any photo, just a nice logo and text? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2009
    Just got my new cards from whcc. And might I say I am impressed! Excellent pricing, amazing quality, great customer service, great card stock, super fast and free shipping. I ordered the standard paper with UV coating on both sides. Anyways, I ordered five different fronts with one back. Here are the ones I ordered:

Back:
    businesscardbackky0.jpg

Front #1:
    businesscardfront1jw1.jpg

Front #2:
    businesscardfront4lq3.jpg

Front #3:
    businesscardfront7uu3.jpg

Front #4:
    businesscardfront8ce1.jpg

Front #5:
    businesscardfront9ij5.jpg

Pretty excited about this. Finally have something to hopefully get my business up and running and hopefully make a little money.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Nice! I like the fact that you have different pictures so that its not all just the same card to every single person. the only thing I dont like... but its not that big of a deal. I dont like the camera on the front... its a little cheesy, and too clip art-y... I know its too late because you already have them, but thats just what I think. Other than that I like them alot! also I think it kinda takes away the seriousness of the card. like you have this deep beautiful landscape drama built up and then... "say cheese everybody, cause I have a camera!"
    Jer
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    Nice! I like the fact that you have different pictures so that its not all just the same card to every single person. the only thing I dont like... but its not that big of a deal. I dont like the camera on the front... its a little cheesy, and too clip art-y... I know its too late because you already have them, but thats just what I think. Other than that I like them alot! also I think it kinda takes away the seriousness of the card. like you have this deep beautiful landscape drama built up and then... "say cheese everybody, cause I have a camera!"

Well thanks for the compliments. The little camera is actually something that my room mate built, from scratch in Adobe Illustrator. But I see what you mean.

Also, on a side note, when I placed this order, I ordered a 50 card pack of each "front". When I recieved my cards today, I went through and counted one of the packs of cards, there was 65. I don't know if this was a mistake, or if all my packs have 65 vs 50, but I am EXTREMELY pleased with everything about this company and the quality of the product. Except for one thing I guess... When I placed my order, since I did five different products (each card with a new front being a new product) I had to place five separate orders. But they all shipped together, and free 2 day shipping.

I guess that side note was a little longer than planned.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    Oh and on another side note and probably the best part of my order, when I opened my box, there was a tootsie roll pop inside.rolleyes1.gif Soo...yet another reason to order from whcc.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    Oh and on another side note and probably the best part of my order, when I opened my box, there was a tootsie roll pop inside.rolleyes1.gif Soo...yet another reason to order from whcc.
    Lol... Yeah I ordered 1000 cards. Its was only $12 so I was like what the heck, I'll do it that way I don't have to buy more cards ever.I wish mine came with a tootsie roll pop :(
    Jer
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    Lol... Yeah I ordered 1000 cards. Its was only $12 so I was like what the heck, I'll do it that way I don't have to buy more cards ever.I wish mine came with a tootsie roll pop :(

$12 for 1000 cards? How the hell did you score that? Mine was $12/50 cards... I got the Rep cards though with UV. Did you just order the standard business cards?
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    $12 for 1000 cards? How the hell did you score that? Mine was $12/50 cards... I got the Rep cards though with UV. Did you just order the standard business cards?

I got mine through gotprint.com I got UV on the front side... I didn't have a backside so I didn't get it on the back. they're pretty good as well. Quality is excellent.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    I got mine through gotprint.com I got UV on the front side... I didn't have a backside so I didn't get it on the back. they're pretty good as well. Quality is excellent.

Gotchya...
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Jeremy,

I just went to the www.gotprint.net website - there offering 5000 business cards for $38.55 and 5000 4x6 postcards for only $99.55!! Only thing that I can say is WOW!! Great timing aswell, I need to order more cards.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2009
    Jeremy,

I just went to the www.gotprint.net website - there offering 5000 business cards for $38.55 and 5000 4x6 postcards for only $99.55!! Only thing that I can say is WOW!! Great timing aswell, I need to order more cards.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

They're really affordable, and you wont be disappointed with the quality!
    Jer
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Anyone tried Zazzle's business cards yet?

http://www.zazzle.com/custom/businesscards
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    I had about a week to get these together a year ago before my next event, so this is what I came up with. I'm fairly happy with them but not blown away by them either. C&C definitely appreciated!!

474328322_PtcDU-M-1.jpg

gracias!

(and yes I focus primarily on horse photography)
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    I had about a week to get these together a year ago before my next event, so this is what I came up with. I'm fairly happy with them but not blown away by them either. C&C definitely appreciated!!

gracias!

(and yes I focus primarily on horse photography)

Since you asked for C&C....it looks like you took a picture , threw some text and called it a business card. Sorry, that's my first impression. Since you have your own domain, why not use a business name e-mail, like 'leah@catspawphotos.com'? When I see '...@gmail', '...@yahoo' etc, I see amateur.

If you want to look profession, then I suggest hiring a graphic designer.

I do like the black cat paw photo though! :D
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    I agree with Hikin' Mike with it looks thrown together, because well it was thrown together. I would get rid of the picture on the front, change your email to your domain (I cant say much about that because I use @charter.net instead of @winterbergphotography.com I think my domain is too long so I didn't use it. and I ordered 1000 cards so I wont be getting more for a while) , and I would keep your information all on one side, instead of having your email on the other side of the card. Keep the cat paw on the back, thats hilarious.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    Since you asked for C&C....it looks like you took a picture , threw some text and called it a business card. Sorry, that's my first impression. Since you have your own domain, why not use a business name e-mail, like 'leah@catspawphotos.com'? When I see '...@gmail', '...@yahoo' etc, I see amateur.

If you want to look profession, then I suggest hiring a graphic designer.

I do like the black cat paw photo though! :D

alas, I didn't go with godaddy.com so setting up my own email address has been a PITA. well, more like :bash And at that time I didn't even *think* of using catspawphotos@gmail.com like I do now (which I will use but need to set up forwarding).

I've three domains and trying to get them over to godaddy is just .... ugh. I have to kick myself to do it since running into a wall, repeatedly, is just SUCH the fun time. :P (ps. Verio sucks ass no matter what awards they win. buttmunchers).

However, thanks for the C&C. I need to get these cards used up a bit (glad folks seem to like the 'catspaw' on the back! was my first published photo, added it on a lark) and then work out the front of the cards for future publishing. I think these were overnightprints, which was decent but I've got a box of them to use and I hate to toss them ne_nau.gif unless they are THAT bad? headscratch.gif

Fortunately so far only one other equine photographer in the area even USES business cards ... the rest scribble info onto a piece of paper for you. So, um, the competition is kinda easy to out pace. sad. true.

thanks again!
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    I agree with Hikin' Mike with it looks thrown together, because well it was thrown together. I would get rid of the picture on the front, change your email to your domain (I cant say much about that because I use @charter.net instead of @winterbergphotography.com I think my domain is too long so I didn't use it. and I ordered 1000 cards so I wont be getting more for a while) , and I would keep your information all on one side, instead of having your email on the other side of the card. Keep the cat paw on the back, thats hilarious.

Great suggestions on the layout, thanks! I'm a bit like you in that my domain is a tad long (not as long as yours!) but as outlined above, I didn't have such an email set up at the time I put the cards together (I had two weeks before the next show....). I have a box of 500 or some insane number, but I'll do what I can to use them up this year (or are they that bad? headscratch.gif) and get some REALLY snazzy ones for next year :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    Great suggestions on the layout, thanks! I'm a bit like you in that my domain is a tad long (not as long as yours!) but as outlined above, I didn't have such an email set up at the time I put the cards together (I had two weeks before the next show....). I have a box of 500 or some insane number, but I'll do what I can to use them up this year (or are they that bad? headscratch.gif) and get some REALLY snazzy ones for next year :)

no, by no means are they terrible. I say use em up this year and work on a new design throughout 2009, and then get them for a christmas gift or new years gift mwink.gif...
    Jer
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    I have a box of 500 or some insane number, but I'll do what I can to use them up this year (or are they that bad? headscratch.gif) and get some REALLY snazzy ones for next year :)

Well, for me personally, I just bought 1000 ( I think) business cards about 6-8 months ago. I recently decided to separate my 'personal/backpacking/hiking' website (www.thebackcountry.org) and my photography site (www.ImagesInTheBackcountry.com.). I could still use my business cards because I still have a link on my backpacking site to my photography site, but IMO, it's a more professional to just buy new cards. :D

I would get better business cards if I were you. If I saw your card right now, I would probably throw it away. But, that's just my opinion of course....your mileage may vary ! :D
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    Well, for me personally, I just bought 1000 ( I think) business cards about 6-8 months ago. I recently decided to separate my 'personal/backpacking/hiking' website (www.thebackcountry.org) and my photography site (www.ImagesInTheBackcountry.com.). I could still use my business cards because I still have a link on my backpacking site to my photography site, but IMO, it's a more professional to just buy new cards. :D

I would get better business cards if I were you. If I saw your card right now, I would probably throw it away. But, that's just my opinion of course....your mileage may vary ! :D
    I never throw away cards, I think its rude, even if it looks bad. Each card is one more contact which in the long run can either save you money or make you money.I got a business card from a guy at a camera repair shop yesterday, it looks horrible, but if I ever need my camera fixed I might be able to get it done cheaper or I'll know who to call instead of having to dig through the phone book.I'm on the road right now, but when I get home I'll upload a scan of his card to show you it.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2009
    I'm too lazy to upload it to my smugmug... so i'm attaching it. Heres the guy's business card. Its nothing special... but it gets its job done. And thats to get his name out, what he shoots and to give people a way to contact him.

It took me a half an hour to drive to this guy's studio. And I gotta say, I was not impressed at all. His shop was like a pawn shop almost. He had junk lying everywhere, old clothes for sale, a bunch of old film cameras, and nothing in stock. All he had was a catalog which he didn't even know much about what was in it. But, the studio he had there looked pretty nice. About 30 feet wide and 40 feet long high key white setup.
    Jer