Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    Alrighty. Here's a version with the line extended. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Thoughts? BTW, I think I am leaning toward the black color. Clean, simple and if I change the colors on my website it won't matter much (I tend to get bored easily...Laughing.gif).

I like the black. I assume the blue border is for reference only and not printed on the card.
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    Hi printergirl!
    Laughing.gif. No that's fine! :D

I am hoping NOT to attract any graphic design clients, to be honest. After 20 years in the business, I have been slowly transitioning myself out of that business over the past six years or so. Maybe I should take that off all together as well? Hmm.

Wow. I'm in the same boat. Self-employed 18 years in Graphic Design and Production. I agree with not indicating Graphic Design on your card if you're transitioning. I don't have *any* reference at all to design on my card (already have steady well-paying design contracts to pay the bills while I shoot). Actually, I'm more associated with the title of "photographer" now, than "designer", even among friends and acquaintances since I carry a camera everywhere! rolleyes1.gif Word of mouth and a "photography only" card does wonders. I have occasionally done some photography as a "value-added service" in a pinch, for my design clients, but I don't advertise design to potential photography clients.

My card design scheme also matches my website banner. I posted my basic "draft" version nearly a year ago in this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=956233&highlight=illustrator#post956233

pmbimages_card_front.jpg

pmbimages_card_back.jpg
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    Alrighty. Here's a version with the line extended. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Thoughts? BTW, I think I am leaning toward the black color. Clean, simple and if I change the colors on my website it won't matter much (I tend to get bored easily...Laughing.gif).

656864001_fa5Qk-M.jpg

I like your "photogdesign" name and this new version of your card is much cleaner! clap.gif I like the black and rounded corners too. :D

Paula
    pmb images
  • Options
    printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    I like the black. I assume the blue border is for reference only and not printed on the card.

Correct. The light blue is for reference only.
    ~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter
  • Options
    dmeiselmandmeiselman Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    not limited to photography, but I use this as a calling card and business card.

609840079_vrEcL-M.jpg
    D300|Tokina 12-24 f/4|Sigma 24mm f/1.8|Nikon 35 f/2|Tokina 50-135 f/2.8|AlienBees
  • Options
    pmbpro wrote:
    Wow. I'm in the same boat. Self-employed 18 years in Graphic Design and Production. I agree with not indicating Graphic Design on your card if you're transitioning. I don't have *any* reference at all to design on my card (already have steady well-paying design contracts to pay the bills while I shoot). Actually, I'm more associated with the title of "photographer" now, than "designer", even among friends and acquaintances since I carry a camera everywhere! rolleyes1.gif Word of mouth and a "photography only" card does wonders. I have occasionally done some photography as a "value-added service" in a pinch, for my design clients, but I don't advertise design to potential photography clients.

Hi Paula. Wow, sounds like we have a similar background. I was very involved in pre-press production as well! I am so over design work, however. I am loving photography so much better. Call it a mid-life change...I dunno. Whatever. Shooting makes me much happier than sitting behind the computer all day ... wings.gif

Your card is nice and clean, which is what I am drawn to. thumb.gif
    ~ Nora

• Options
    Erica628Erica628 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2009
    Business Card
    I'm just starting out with my business. I'd love to know what you think!
    Business Cardcmyk350.jpg

The back is white, with plain black type and says:

Let me capture who you are . . .
    . . . not just what you look like

along with my contact info again (I couldn't attach two files here). I opted to only get coating on one side so that I could write easily on the back if I wanted to give any special discounts or additional information.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Erica628 wrote:
    Business Cardcmyk350.jpg

along with my contact info again (I couldn't attach two files here). I opted to only get coating on one side so that I could write easily on the back if I wanted to give any special discounts or additional information.

This honestly does not look professional at all to me. You need to use a cleaner font than the typewriter-like one you're using. I'd recommend hiring a local graphic designer to create your logo, card, and any other materials you need, at least to start.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Erica628 wrote:

Although I agree with what Ben said, I have a few suggestions shy of spending several hundred dollars on a graphic designer.

In your logo, move the bottom line, I think it says photography llc or something like that... down a bit, its too close to your name. Then move the whole thing up a bit.. its cutting into the boy's head...

In the information, definitely change the font type. The font you're using does not match your logo at all. Change it to the font you used in your navigation on your website. That font is more professional looking. On your site you should change the type-writer font as well, maybe to a font like calibri or arial... something that everyone can read easily...

Also move the information to the right some, and make the website/email/phone number text a tad smaller and move them closer together. Also make the email text all the same font size, I don't like the small name then bigger url thing you have going on.

Get rid of Owner, I doubt you have 10+ photographer's working for you, they'll know its your business because of your name being the name of the business.

I made all of these comments from just looking at the card for 5 seconds... I'm going to school for photography and graphic design right now, someone with more experience could make it all for you, and make it look amazing in a day or two. So you can try my suggestions, re-post a new version to see if people like it more, or you could go hire a professional to give you a stunning card. Being in Indy, you'll have no problem finding a talented designer... I'm going to school in Marion, IN so I travel to Indy every now and then.

btw, I really like the picture of the boy and girl... great work!
    Jer
  • Options
    PhotosbyKWPhotosbyKW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Sorry.
    Consistantly Inconsistant.

www.PhotosbyKW.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Erica628Erica628 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 26, 2009
    Although I agree with what Ben said, I have a few suggestions shy of spending several hundred dollars on a graphic designer.

In your logo, move the bottom line, I think it says photography llc or something like that... down a bit, its too close to your name. Then move the whole thing up a bit.. its cutting into the boy's head...

In the information, definitely change the font type. The font you're using does not match your logo at all. Change it to the font you used in your navigation on your website. That font is more professional looking. On your site you should change the type-writer font as well, maybe to a font like calibri or arial... something that everyone can read easily...

Also move the information to the right some, and make the website/email/phone number text a tad smaller and move them closer together. Also make the email text all the same font size, I don't like the small name then bigger url thing you have going on.

Get rid of Owner, I doubt you have 10+ photographer's working for you, they'll know its your business because of your name being the name of the business.

I made all of these comments from just looking at the card for 5 seconds... I'm going to school for photography and graphic design right now, someone with more experience could make it all for you, and make it look amazing in a day or two. So you can try my suggestions, re-post a new version to see if people like it more, or you could go hire a professional to give you a stunning card. Being in Indy, you'll have no problem finding a talented designer... I'm going to school in Marion, IN so I travel to Indy every now and then.

btw, I really like the picture of the boy and girl... great work!

Thanks so much for your comments. They were very helpful. Thank you also for taking the time to look at my site. I'm not in a position right now to hire a graphic designer. I've been wrestling with the font issue and I keep changing it. I had the body font the same as the navigation on my site to start with, but thought it was too hard to read. I'll try the others you suggested. Thank you also for your comments on my photograph. I am going to concentrate on weddings and children, so I thought this was a good choice for my card.
  • Options
    ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Here are my cards. I needed something cheap to pass out at sporting events. This is a 4x6 image that when prited and cut in half gives me two different cards. I had very good feedback on them and they got me alot of business this summer.

666993884_fr9gp-L.jpg

Wes
    www.clix-photo.com
  • Options
    CrazieCricketCrazieCricket Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 8, 2009
    Just something I threw together. Any ideas to make it better are appreciated.

Front

674002127_HfT2t-M.jpg

Back

674002137_jrYzM-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2009
    Just something I threw together. Any ideas to make it better are appreciated.

Well, I would take off the URL on the front and have it on the back...
    And maybe try moving the graphic on the back to the left and the info to the right, that way its not completely centered...

Thats what I would do..
    Jer
  • Options
    CSPCSP Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 13, 2009
    Crown Studios Photography - Northglenn, Colorado
    My wife, Krystal, and I designed these 100% from scratch using Photoshop CS4. I think they turned out really nice. Not to brag, but I think they are better than some of the stock backgrounds and cards we saw on most of the sites we looked at. Then we created a similar image to use as the background for our Smug Mug site, to correlate the two together.

Brent & Krystal

www.crownstudiosphotography.com
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Another one..
    Here is one I use at hockey games.

Chiefs Image Biz Card.jpg
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Can you read that? ne_nau.gif

it must be like a 4x6 print... cause I wouldn't be able to read that fo sho - and I have relatively good vision.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Looks like a 4 X 6 postcard to me too.
    ~ Nora

• Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Ooops..
    Looks like a 4 X 6 postcard to me too.

It is a 4 x 6 card...sorry...should have put the dimensions on it...

They are amazingly effective, I print 5,000 to 10,000 of them at a whack with different players on them, and they are given to people as they enter the arena. Great ROI on them.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Ok, I decided to make new cards, this time in color and with some photos in it. I find it hard to find photos I've taken that look good in small sizes, I think I usually visualize them printed big when I am taking them :D. I also want the pics in my card to be colorful, so that limits the options even more.

So I got this 3 options so far that I liked the most:

700875962_UvFsp-L.jpg

700875824_Jg9XZ-L.jpg

700875608_okVi8-L.jpg

I kinda like the one with the cow the most because the cow is a bigger object than the bridge or the pier, but I'm not sure. It's a cow lol. I think it's a cool pic but I don't know how divergent i can be about these things before becoming unprofessional. The bridge on the other hand is a local landmark and people could feel familiar about it and be more inclined to use my services.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I personally like the cow only for the green color that contrasts with the other 2 photos. When i was scrolling though these i noticed the cow stuck out more than the other two.

You have blue on the right so the water image blends in with that and you have a darker reddish/orangeish tone to the image on the right which blends with the night bridge photo.

Do you have anything else with a green landscape, mountain, etc?
  • Options
    pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    I couldn't find any in the photos i have in my "finished" folder. I'd have to go back to my archive and look, but I can't imagine I have green landscapes with objects that are large in the frame. I'm gonna look for something else green, thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    luckystar8luckystar8 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2010
    creative
    great idea!!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    All New Revamped BC.
    It's been about a year and I thought it would be nice to maybe bring something a little simple, yet classy and elegant to my wallet.

scpbizcardemboss.jpg

I have been toying with the idea of adding my phone number, but I hardly answer the phone.. knowing my luck I will be in the ring and Britney Spears will start bellowing out about being on the radar and I will cause a mass collision of freaked out horses.
    Kandie Kingery

Become a fan of Stone Creek Photography
  • Options
    IntellaIntella Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2010
    I use overnight prints and am really pleased with the quality.

I have a question about font size
    What is the absolute smallest size you would go and still have it legible?
    I'm a fan of simple fonts on cards, my fav is myriad pro

Business cards in some aspects are huge, and in others... so very small

I am designing one for client right now, actually I wonder if anyone would be interested in seeing and critiquing me on it. Just message me, and I'll send you the link.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    Intella wrote:
    I use overnight prints and am really pleased with the quality.

I have a question about font size
    What is the absolute smallest size you would go and still have it legible?
    I'm a fan of simple fonts on cards, my fav is myriad pro

Business cards in some aspects are huge, and in others... so very small

I am designing one for client right now, actually I wonder if anyone would be interested in seeing and critiquing me on it. Just message me, and I'll send you the link.

Thanks

I worked in the printing industry for 20 years. It will vary from font to font, but rule of thumb for most is never less than 7 points, for legibility, 8 point recommended.
    ~ Nora

• Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    I agree with printergirl (as I've been in the industry that long too! We be old-timers! rolleyes1.gif)

My experience has been that serif fonts (e.g. Times) tend to appear smaller than Sans-Serif fonts (e.g. Arial) when you choose the same font size. I've therefore, on occasion on small pieces, gone with 8pt Serif and no less, while I can get away with 7pt. with Sans Serif. I usually stick with 8pt for the most part though.

Paula
    pmb images
  • Options
    acevesfacevesf Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    critique please! I'm still in the developing stages, glad I found this thread!

card1stdraft.jpg
  • Options
    lisasolonynkolisasolonynko Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Here I go again.
    Hi all,

I had previously posted a card design that featured a lovely yellow flower. Most agreed that it looked bright and cheerful. I went ahead and ordered, but was disappointed. Being able to get consistent colour was a real issue. I can see this will be an even bigger issue if I have to change printers down the road. I think that I should just go with b/w. I have been messing around with some different logos and am thinking of going with something like this...

I am really on the fence about whether to put an image on the front.

What do you think? I really appreciate the feedback.

Lisa

792639908_y3e2C-L.jpg