Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    PhenomenologicalPhenomenological Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    The photo may have been boring on its own, but I realised it could possibly make a good business card - It's pretty plain and simple so it isn't distracting, but is still eye catching. I don't even have a business yet, so I'm just playing around really. I'd like to come up with a business name etc as I'm slowly branching out into that kind of area but...Naming isn't a strong point! So I've kept the card simple.

BusinessCard.jpg
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    The photo may have been boring on its own, but I realised it could possibly make a good business card - It's pretty plain and simple so it isn't distracting, but is still eye catching. I don't even have a business yet, so I'm just playing around really. I'd like to come up with a business name etc as I'm slowly branching out into that kind of area but...Naming isn't a strong point! So I've kept the card simple.

I would at least put you name first, then "Photography"...and also bump up the font of your name a few points.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    I would at least put you name first, then "Photography"...and also bump up the font of your name a few points.
    15524779-Ti.gif also want to add that the picture you're using is very simple, and I think it works for a business card.
    Jer
  • Options
    ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    I used VistaPrint, good price, good quality.
    400631715_JCodr-M-0.jpg

This is just plain Class, Chirs. Nice job.
    Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography
  • Options
    South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    my biz card
    Here's my newest creation:

616411317_DbKBz-L.jpg

I used Vista Print dot ca after almost choking on the real life quote I got from the local print shop. Very happy with the print quality and the price.

Rob
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    Kinkajou: I thought about using an actual photo but i don't like the idea of photos on cards. It's a personal choice for me...
    Would it look less cartoony if it was just a cutout?

Yeah, yeah... like a silouhette? That would definitely work.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I just ordered MOO cards. So I'd have to post 100 different cards. :D
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    here's mine... had it made at Printingforless.com, very impressed with their quality. prices not the cheapest out there, but not bad, and their customer service is outstanding. they'll work with you on the proofs until it's just what you want before they print.

SecondBeachIIIbizcardrev3bsm.jpg
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    Mohamed.GhuloomMohamed.Ghuloom Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Here are my new business cards, what you think? clap.gif
    Mohamed Photos
    Give a Message
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Just realized I never posted mine...

20090824-tbj6qe3p1sbiibmrxj8f77adhs.jpg

20090824-db5ymeu825n4rupaq4r4gqdqji.jpg

The background is black. They may look slightly grayish or have a color cast because of the way I uploaded them. These were done at OvernightPrints. They messed up the first two orders and about 1/3 of the cards had major defects. They were very nice and reprinted the order a second time (which they messed up). I got an email from the CEO telling me why the issue was occuring (all black + uv coating + humidity + stacking = bad) and promised the next order would be hand approved and would be perfect. To his word, they arrived and were flawless. Great company. Highly recommend.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Here are my new business cards, what you think? clap.gif
    Very vibrant. I like!
    Jer
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    New cards to share:
    Front:
    627881785_ob2Xb-S.jpg

Back:
    627881805_Hb8D2-S.jpg

I've gotten good feedback on the cards so far. I'm really happy with the way it turned out :) Anyways, just wanted to share!

David
  • Options
    lisasolonynkolisasolonynko Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Opinions Please
    Hi all,

I need to order new bus. cards and thought I would try a redesign. I have two completely different style. Opinions are really appreciated.

638304755_dHs2Y-L.jpg

This one is a smoke image I shot... much different than the first image.

638304759_wfuM8-L.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

Lisa
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 3, 2009
    Lisa:

They're both lovely images.

I don't like the varying direction of the type layout in the b/w.

you have a kerning problem in your typeface that needs to be corrected before you go to print.
  • Options
    JaeSenJaeSen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Lisa,

I like the yellow one, it's more vibrant and colorful.

The black one is very cool though...it almost looks like the figure of a woman with a long flowing skirt and long hair, as if she's dancing. It gets the imagination going...

Of course, what kind of photography do you do mostly and which one represents it better? That's the deciding factor, I think.
    JaeSen
    Winnsboro, TX
    www.jaesenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Thank you for your feedback.

Angelo: yeah, I saw the kearning. When I am happy with the design I will change the font into a vector so that the font will be clean for print.

I was at odds about the direction of the b/w print as well. Sadly, I have such a long last name....

Jaesen: They have a completely different feel from each other. I am actually leaning toward more abstract photography. I do portraits, etc. but I have an opportunity to focus on my abstract pieces at an artisan gallery/shop. I was thinking of maybe having two different cards for different clients/focuses. I am not sure if that would interfere with my branding too much though.

Your feedback is awesome. Thank you so much.

Lisa
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Hi all,

I need to order new bus. cards and thought I would try a redesign. I have two completely different style. Opinions are really appreciated.

638304755_dHs2Y-L.jpg
    I really like the flower one. It's very serene. Nicely done :)
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Thank you DrDavid. I think it is serene and that the yellow will really stand out.

Oh yeah. JaeSen: Yes, I thought it looked like a woman dancing as well. It came out of the camera that way....I was completely shocked. The only thing I did to it was clean up the background and add a bit of extra smoke (from another image I took) to complete the skirt. I was experimenting with an incense stick this weekend, and was very happy with the result. I am glad you see the lady too, and it is not just my own vivid imagination. :)
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Lisa - They're both gorgeous, but I really love the yellow one. And I think it can be representative of multiple genres, including your abstract work. Lovely.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Thank you for your kind words mox.

I think I will go with the yellow one. I will work on cleaning up the text so it will print really well.

Thank you for all of your input, everyone.

Lisa
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2009
    My first try...
    My first attempt at making a business card.

C&C appreciated

650043787_nTFjL-M.jpg

Thanks!
    Webpage

• Options
    edited September 15, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:

C&C appreciated

Thanks!

I hope you haven't printed them yet because I can hardly read it. First off, I'm not a fan of photos on a business card. If you must have photos, pick one. I would lose the text on the right....very confusing to read. I would bump your name/info by at least 50% and maybe pick a different font. Buy a "real" domain and e-mail instead of "gmail" and "kozelsky.smugmug.com ". It really doesn't say "professional" or serious to me.

But that's my .02 pennies....

Good luck!
  • Options
    Ok, maybe I need to clarify a few things:

1. I'm not pro, and don't intend to be for a couple years because
    2. I'm not earning the kind of income you need in order to buy a real domain, pay for design, and get all of the necessary photographic equipment that a professional should have so
    3. the purpose of the cards is to slowly start getting my name out there by giving them to friends and family or people who ask me about my photos, not to really solicit high-paying jobs at this point.

I know some folks out there don't like photos on the cards, but I like it because the person that sees your card knows right away that you know what you're doing with your camera and there is no question what you're trying to advertize. That said, I could work on narrowing it down to fewer shots.

Since my last name scares people (a K and a Z and SKY! run away!), I wanted to break it up into the syllables to sort of show people how to pronounce it, but maybe I'll do only my last name that way and photographic together as one word - maybe vertical?

I will work on the font size.

This is only a first try (read: draft), so no need to get carried away, here :)
    Webpage

• Options
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Ok, maybe I need to clarify a few things:

1. I'm not pro, and don't intend to be for a couple years because
    2. I'm not earning the kind of income you need in order to buy a real domain, pay for design, and get all of the necessary photographic equipment that a professional should have so
    3. the purpose of the cards is to slowly start getting my name out there by giving them to friends and family or people who ask me about my photos, not to really solicit high-paying jobs at this point.

I know some folks out there don't like photos on the cards, but I like it because the person that sees your card knows right away that you know what you're doing with your camera and there is no question what you're trying to advertize. That said, I could work on narrowing it down to fewer shots.

Since my last name scares people (a K and a Z and SKY! run away!), I wanted to break it up into the syllables to sort of show people how to pronounce it, but maybe I'll do only my last name that way and photographic together as one word - maybe vertical?

I will work on the font size.

This is only a first try (read: draft), so no need to get carried away, here :)

I'm bascially doing the same thing...starting out small, not wanting huge jobs, getting my name out there. BUT you still have to make your first impression the best one! If you print cards and hand them out now, they will be out there for awhile even AFTER you consider yourself a pro. As for the domain name, they're $10.00 at godaddy.com and you get the email address to go with it. Not a huge expense for something that speaks volumes! I agree with Mike about the broken up text, WOW! Really hard to read. My maiden name was Senoski so I get it, but don't make excuses for people...they'll either figure it out, they'll ask or you can kindly correct them. If you seriously want to break it up do it horizontally with bullets between like (Ko * zel * sky). Although do you really say it "sky" or is it "ski"? All of my family with sky still say "ski" so you may just be confusing your clients more by breaking it into syllables.
    JaeSen
    Winnsboro, TX
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Lose the text on the right - it's not readable as it is.

Make the text on the right - your contact information - larger and easier to read.

And in spite of you saying you are not a pro yet, set up a custom domain and an email address to go with it. You should be able to do that for less than $10 a year. It makes very little sense to get potential customers accustomed to an email address and URL and then change that on them later.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Ok, the domain thing makes sense. Question, though. If I want to get a smugmug pro account next year, will I be able to use the godaddy domain with it? I guess I've been putting it off because I plan to keep my kozelsky.smugmug.com and get a second smugmug account so I can have one pro site and one personal site, and it's likely that I'll get married in a couple years anyway, so my name will change... so it's all very temporary and therefore hard for me to pin down what the right thing to do is. I've thought about using a fictitious name like 'red maple foto', but i'm still not 100% sure about that.

I guess I just really have to figure out what my priorities are and how I want to do this. I was really aiming for something quick and easy, but apparently that's not the way to go :)

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Jae - it's like the word "ski" - ski is generally Polish and sky is Czech or Slovakian, but same pronunciation for both spellings. I just have so many people butcher it... someone came up with Kazinski after reading it. I've even had "kaz... kaz... kaz..forget about it" once while an announcer was reading it out! kaz.. kaz... kazelowski? is the usual attempt. Sometimes it's funny, but sometimes it's frustrating.
    Webpage

• Options
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Ok, the domain thing makes sense. Question, though. If I want to get a smugmug pro account next year, will I be able to use the godaddy domain with it? I guess I've been putting it off because I plan to keep my kozelsky.smugmug.com and get a second smugmug account so I can have one pro site and one personal site, and it's likely that I'll get married in a couple years anyway, so my name will change... so it's all very temporary and therefore hard for me to pin down what the right thing to do is. I've thought about using a fictitious name like 'red maple foto', but i'm still not 100% sure about that.

I guess I just really have to figure out what my priorities are and how I want to do this. I was really aiming for something quick and easy, but apparently that's not the way to go :)

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Jae - it's like the word "ski" - ski is generally Polish and sky is Czech or Slovakian, but same pronunciation for both spellings. I just have so many people butcher it... someone came up with Kazinski after reading it. I've even had "kaz... kaz... kaz..forget about it" once while an announcer was reading it out! kaz.. kaz... kazelowski? is the usual attempt. Sometimes it's funny, but sometimes it's frustrating.

I'm not doing this full time, heck...I'm only a nature photographer and there's no money in it, but I wanted a professional-looking website and card. Using or not using photos on a card is just a preference. I don't use them, but if you do, I just thing you need to use one.

BTW...my name is "Matenkosky" and it's Polish rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    I was bored and put something together. If you don't like it...no problem. I didn't put the photo too close to the edge of the card because when they cut them, if they don't cut it "centered" it will show.

Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    kristin,

As for your name I figured it was "ski" that's why I said breaking into syllables would be even more confusing because it will almost surely make them say "sky." I'm 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Slavic. My family is from the old country although I know not much about it except a few of my favorite foods and the curse words my 90 year old Aunt is always saying! Laughing.gif! Glad to meet some fellow Slavs/Poles on the site! iloveyou.gif

As for your new attempt at a card...I like it much better. I maybe would change the background color to something that blends with the photo more.

You can always upgrade the account you have know to a pro account when ready and then get a new personal account. The domain main is simple, you go on godaddy.com and purchase it for a year or longer and then type the info into your domain setting under the control panel (maybe only available on a pro account). The email account comes free with the domain. It really is worth it and you should make the investment!

Good luck in your adventure!
    JaeSen
    Winnsboro, TX
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2009
    JaeSen wrote:
    kristin,...

As for your new attempt at a card...I like it much better. I maybe would change the background color to something that blends with the photo more. ....

You mean my "attempt"? rolleyes1.gif

The second card was my "quick and dirty" example for Kristin. :D