Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    JaeSenJaeSen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    You mean my "attempt"? rolleyes1.gif

The second card was my "quick and dirty" example for Kristin. :D

Totally didn't even catch that...wow! I must give credit where due! thumb.gif
    JaeSen
    Winnsboro, TX
    www.jaesenphotography.com
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    Hehe! That is definitely a simpler design.

Good to know about the domain/pro account info, Jae - thanks for that!

So, I wanted to tell you that I've totally scrapped my first draft and started over with a 100% different design thanks to you guys helping me to see the light. It's nearly done, but here's what I've got so far. I spent the $5 for the graphic art and will get the domain soon, so kept current web/email as placeholders. Forgot about the full bleed thing - that's why the image is so messy around the pinkie and edges. Will definitely clean that up.

I appreciate all your help!

Side 1
    651606615_udDmn-M.jpg

Side 2
    651608248_GQfEH-M.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    I like it! A few suggestions...take them or leave them.

On Side 1
    I would align the word Photography differently, it seems out of place. Maybe directly under Kozelsky or maybe change the font, it just doesn't look right to me. The font on the contact info is good and a good size too. It is out of line with your name, either set it left or center it (or even set hard right against the graphic).

On Side 2
    Love the photo and the colors match great. I would get rid of the artwork and center your name within the white space (both vertically and horizontally). If you really want the artwork on there, maybe decrease the size and use as a bullet before and after your name or even between the first and last name??

Just ides. I think you're on the right track!

As for printing, I would definitely get a UV coating on front and back to make those colors pop. Use someone like GotPrint.com where you can get a lot of them for practically nothing. They'll send you a free sample kit with lots of paper types to choose from.

Good luck! thumb.gif
    JaeSen
    Winnsboro, TX
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Hehe! That is definitely a simpler design.

Good to know about the domain/pro account info, Jae - thanks for that!

So, I wanted to tell you that I've totally scrapped my first draft and started over with a 100% different design thanks to you guys helping me to see the light. It's nearly done, but here's what I've got so far. I spent the $5 for the graphic art and will get the domain soon, so kept current web/email as placeholders. Forgot about the full bleed thing - that's why the image is so messy around the pinkie and edges. Will definitely clean that up.

I appreciate all your help!

Side 1

Side 2
    Much better! The only suggestion is kerning "Photography" a bit...

kk.jpg

I'll remove the card when you have seen it...
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    The reason I offset 'photography' is that it's not part of a company name, but just kind of there to tell people what this card is for when they find it in a drawer in six months :)

Will work on alignment of text.

Thanks again for all the feedback, guys!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    Kinkajou wrote:
    The reason I offset 'photography' is that it's not part of a company name, but just kind of there to tell people what this card is for when they find it in a drawer in six months :)

Will work on alignment of text.

Thanks again for all the feedback, guys!

Maybe you'd rather use Photographer than Photography?
    JaeSen
    Winnsboro, TX
  • Options
    JaeSen wrote:
    Maybe you'd rather use Photographer than Photography?

Good idea! Then put "Photographer" on top of her contact info instead of below her name. :D
  • Options
    DEyeDEye Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    651974022_FPJN9-S.jpg

Currently one side only, we are not in the business just needed something to supply to those that ask and are interested in our work. I am not fully happy with the type, seems a little busy with my pic as the background, c & c welcome...ne_nau.gif
    http://www.pixelexcellence.com
    http://www.jlemieux.smugmug.com

The Camera Snob's Worst Enemy... Sony Alpha :bow

Sony α700 ● Sony f 2.8 / 70-200G Zeiss f 3.5-4.5 / 16-80 ● Sony f 2.8 / 100 Macro ● LensBaby Composer
    ● 2x Teleconverter ● Kenko Ext. Tubes
    ● Celestron Nextar 4SE - W/ T adapter
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2009
    DEye wrote:

Currently one side only, we are not in the business just needed something to supply to those that ask and are interested in our work. I am not fully happy with the type, seems a little busy with my pic as the background, c & c welcome...ne_nau.gif

I agree...way too busy for my tastes and I can hardly read the text. Not very effective IMO. Nice picture though!

Your script font for your name is fine, but I think you need a different font for your contact info.
  • Options
    DEyeDEye Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    I agree...way too busy for my tastes and I can hardly read the text. Not very effective IMO. Nice picture though!

Your script font for your name is fine, but I think you need a different font for your contact info.

Thanks Mike, the card was a quick creation I had just finished prior to seeing this thread. I love the picture but it doesn't seem to allow room for all the type other than the name without looking busy / cluttered. Perhaps it will do for a backside with name only, once I figure it out I'll post the adjusted version. Anyway thanks for the critique...

One question though, IMO? Translation?
    http://www.pixelexcellence.com
    http://www.jlemieux.smugmug.com

The Camera Snob's Worst Enemy... Sony Alpha :bow

Sony α700 ● Sony f 2.8 / 70-200G Zeiss f 3.5-4.5 / 16-80 ● Sony f 2.8 / 100 Macro ● LensBaby Composer
    ● 2x Teleconverter ● Kenko Ext. Tubes
    ● Celestron Nextar 4SE - W/ T adapter
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2009
    DEye wrote:
    Thanks Mike, the card was a quick creation I had just finished prior to seeing this thread. I love the picture but it doesn't seem to allow room for all the type other than the name without looking busy / cluttered. Perhaps it will do for a backside with name only, once I figure it out I'll post the adjusted version. Anyway thanks for the critique...

One question though, IMO? Translation?

In My Opinion. mwink.gif
  • Options
    printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    Wow...this thread has been so helpful! I have been reading it for an hour straight and enjoyed looking at everyone's cards. So, will go ahead and throw my in the ring for C&C. Too plain? I haven't had them printed yet, so changes could be made.

654588490_UbzQk-XL.jpg
    ~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter
  • Options
    CaroleHayesCaroleHayes Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    Wow...this thread has been so helpful! I have been reading it for an hour straight and enjoyed looking at everyone's cards. So, will go ahead and throw my in the ring for C&C. Too plain? I haven't had them printed yet, so changes could be made.

654588490_UbzQk-XL.jpg

There's nothing wrong with plain, but on the other hand, there's nothing about this that screams, "graphic designer" to me, either. (Hope that wasn't too blunt... I've never been accused of being good at sugar-coating anything. ne_nau.gif )

If you like the elements as they are, I think it could be fine if you rearranged it a bit. Maybe something like this?:

ETA: by the way, I LOVE the font you used for your name!!
    Don't cry because it's over—smile because it happened.
    - Dr. Seuss

My Smugmug
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with plain, but on the other hand, there's nothing about this that screams, "graphic designer" to me, either. (Hope that wasn't too blunt... I've never been accused of being good at sugar-coating anything. ne_nau.gif )

Laughing.gif. No that's fine! :D

I am hoping NOT to attract any graphic design clients, to be honest. After 20 years in the business, I have been slowly transitioning myself out of that business over the past six years or so. Maybe I should take that off all together as well? Hmm.
    ~ Nora

• Options
    Laughing.gif. No that's fine! :D

I am hoping NOT to attract any graphic design clients, to be honest. After 20 years in the business, I have been slowly transitioning myself out of that business over the past six years or so. Maybe I should take that off all together as well? Hmm.

I would say if you don't want to do it, don't advertise it! You may still get referral customers, but at least you won't be bringing in new ones that you'd rather not have.... : )
    - Dr. Seuss

My Smugmug
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with plain, but on the other hand, there's nothing about this that screams, "graphic designer" to me, either. (Hope that wasn't too blunt... I've never been accused of being good at sugar-coating anything. ne_nau.gif )...

I was going to say the same thing, but I was in the middle of cooking dinner. :D

To the Nora:

Nothing wrong with just showcasing your photography work, but since you are a graphic designer, I would think your card would be more....interesting. I think the script font (families etc) is too small to read and I'm not sure about the blue/white colors.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    If you're not looking to pick of graphic design work, why not drop the graphic design piece? And if you are, make two separate business cards, or put the two different things on the the 2 sides of the business card.
  • Options
    Okay. Back to the old drawing board. :(

I was going for plain, simple, understated. I just wanted to use the card to draw people to my website, where they could view my work, but I think I went TOO simple here. :(

The color by the way is called Pantone Violet (which actually is a dark purple), to match my website. Keep in mind it is a PMS color for print and didn't translate well to a computer screen, thus it came across with a blue look. Looking in my PMS (Pantone Matching System) swatch book however, it is the shade I am going for in print, which is what I am concerned about matching. Originally I had played around with black instead, which I may go back to as well. Not sure yet.

Anyway, back to the old drawing board (actually Illustrator), but you get my drift. Hehe.
    ~ Nora

• Options
    Okay, trying one more time for the weekend...Laughing.gif. I tried dropping graphic design, but then my domain doesn't make sense, since it contains both. ne_nau.gif

Thinking double sided w/ rounded edges here:

655392835_FRyG7-L.jpg
    ~ Nora

• Options
    Okay, trying one more time for the weekend...Laughing.gif. I tried dropping graphic design, but then my domain doesn't make sense, since it contains both. ne_nau.gif

Thinking double sided w/ rounded edges here:

655392835_FRyG7-L.jpg

I like that better!

But I do think the domain is fine, even without the graphic design....
    - Dr. Seuss

My Smugmug
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    But I do think the domain is fine, even without the graphic design....

I agree, because you are designing via photography...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2009
    Okay. I dropped the graphic design portion. Does it looked "balanced" without it. I also am putting up the black and white version. Not sure whether to go with the purple to match the website or the black and white.

656438448_dEHDS-L.jpg
    ~ Nora

• Options
    Okay. I dropped the graphic design portion. Does it looked "balanced" without it. I also am putting up the black and white version. Not sure whether to go with the purple to match the website or the black and white.

656438448_dEHDS-L.jpg

I think it looks good without the graphic design part; nothing unbalanced here! : )

As for the color, I'm going to be no help at all, because I think black always looks good, but it's also good to tie things together....
    - Dr. Seuss

My Smugmug
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins

Looks good. I would also suggest dropping the "email:" since you don't have labels for "phone:" or "web:"
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    I like the black. I also like the rounded edges and the backside is good.

What about extending the horizontal line all the way across the card and putting your name above it and "photographer" below it? I think it would give you a little more space between your contact info and help balance it out a little??

Also, I would drop the "email:" part and possibly increase the size of the email address to more closely match the other contact info. That or move it from in between the phone and web address.

Just suggestions... :D
    JaeSen
    Winnsboro, TX
  • Options
    BeachBill wrote:
    Looks good. I would also suggest dropping the "email:" since you don't have labels for "phone:" or "web:"

Nice catch. Will do. :)
    ~ Nora

• Options
    JaeSen wrote:
    I like the black. I also like the rounded edges and the backside is good.

What about extending the horizontal line all the way across the card and putting your name above it and "photographer" below it? I think it would give you a little more space between your contact info and help balance it out a little??

Also, I would drop the "email:" part and possibly increase the size of the email address to more closely match the other contact info. That or move it from in between the phone and web address.

Just suggestions... :D

Like the line idea. Will give that a whirl as well.
    ~ Nora

• Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    Are you ordering with rounded corners or are you cropping off the corners yourself after they are made?
  • Options
    squiddy wrote:
    Are you ordering with rounded corners or are you cropping off the corners yourself after they are made?

Ordering with rounded corners. Gotprint.com will do cards with rounded corner in small or large quantities.
    ~ Nora

• Options
    Alrighty. Here's a version with the line extended. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Thoughts? BTW, I think I am leaning toward the black color. Clean, simple and if I change the colors on my website it won't matter much (I tend to get bored easily...Laughing.gif).

656864001_fa5Qk-M.jpg
    ~ Nora