Comments

• Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Pamela wrote:
    I really like it.
    Very Nice

Pamela
    Thanks. I did a special set for this charitable organization's function coming up April 1st. I'll post them later today.
    By the way, I used Overnight prints and ecept for what I consider extremely high shipping cost, the cards came out wonderful.....Thick stock, great colors and the UV coating makes them really standout and durable.
  • Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Pamela wrote:
    Alot of Very Nice Cards.

Here is my Business Card.

I really like the clean crisp look of your card, and especially the font! I noticed one of the images on the right has a black border, it might look more uniform to put all of the images with the black border, or none at all...just an observation. Great card.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com

• Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Diane S wrote:
    I really like the clean crisp look of your card, and especially the font! I noticed one of the images on the right has a black border, it might look more uniform to put all of the images with the black border, or none at all...just an observation. Great card.

I replaced the photo on the card, how is this?
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Pamela wrote:

what are the dimensions you guys use for designing your business cards?ne_nau.gif so when they're printed it doesn't crop.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    what are the dimensions you guys use for designing your business cards?ne_nau.gif so when they're printed it doesn't crop.

I used the downloadable template from overnightprints.com.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    hows thisne_nau.gif

Front:

60269559-S.jpg

Back:
    60269562-S.jpg

its a work in progress...
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

60269559-Ti.jpg

Back:
    60269562-Ti.jpg

its a work in progress...

I think your text is hugging the edge too much. Give it a little breathing room.

I also wonder about the relationship between the text and the chair. I love how the whites on your card pop so nicely, and I wonder if you didn't pull back on the text just a little, make it a little gray, if the chair wouldn't be the main focus, and the text as a backup. In other words, it would allow your image to speak for itself more, and to sell your work. Make the text readable, but not so blatant.

And, maybe try a non-serif font on the front? I don't know, maybe the old-fashioned feel of the serif works with the chair, but I think a non-serif might be less obtrusive.

Lastly, lose "by" before your name and try putting it down by your contact info.

Oh, and you might want to rethink the back, it's nice to be able to write on it when you hand it out.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Angelo card
    15524779-Ti.gif

41943695-M.jpg
    15524779-Ti.gif The card is fantastic with this improvement. Congratulations. It is very very nice. Clean and neat. Super.
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    also, why not standoutphoto@hotmail? Why your initials on the back? I think you're confusing your brand identity by using your name and your company name like that. Choose which one you're gonna feature.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    also, why not standoutphoto@hotmail? Why your initials on the back? I think you're confusing your brand identity by using your name and your company name like that. Choose which one you're gonna feature.

nod.gif good idea.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Pamela wrote:

Yes, Pamela, that looks better.. they all flow and are uniform now in their presentation. Great card.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com

• Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Diane S wrote:
    Yes, Pamela, that looks better.. they all flow and are uniform now in their presentation. Great card.

Diane:
    After you mentioned it, the photo was distracting to me when I looked at the card.

I made the change right away.

Thankyou
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    MidnitsageMidnitsage Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2006
    I've been following this thread for a while now and I feel I have to say something. I'm a extremely surprised to see that the majority of these cards are horrawful..yes HORRAWFUL. eek7.gif I see a few things going on here in this thread. 1. There is too much ego going on here. I bounce around to a lot of forums, photography and graphic design, and I read the same thing on each of them. "Armatures are kill the industry" I'm not going to debating that, but, there is a double standard, when your a photographer designing your business card and vise-versa. I suppose this is one of the things that surprise me, photography is a skill that everyone here holds to the highest degree but then don't give that same respect to the other skilled arts. If you don't know the 3C's concept, components and composition then pick up a book...is this not the advice that you give in photography? 2. It seems like a many of you are just saying "That's good enough." Whether you're a hobbits or a professional photographer, if your going to give out a business card, why wouldn't you want to give that potential client the best example of you quality work? That business card is one of the first marketing points of contact, followed by your website, portfolio and any other self-promotions.

Here is a small article on presentation skills by Ellen A. Kaye from her book, Maximize Your Presentation Skills

Please take the time to read it.

Release Date:
    March 16, 2006

Losing Customers and Deals Because Your Branding and First Impressions Aren’t What They Should Be? asks International Business Consultant Ellen A. Kaye

SCOTTSDALE, AZ: What single, small, item is internationally recognized, universally used on a daily basis by everyone in business and responsible for immediately and explicitly conveying a company’s brand, its purpose and its importance to its customer?

Ironically, it is the humble business card whose importance is inversely proportional to its size. After all, this little 3.5” x 2” piece of paper is often the first physical representation of you and your company that another person receives. Like the receptionist who answers the company phone, your business card sets the tone and demonstrates the values of your company. Your card’s ability to instantly convey your company’s brand, purpose and importance to the customer is absolutely crucial in today’s competitive marketplace.

“Your business card can open up conversations and opportunities, but only if it is strategically conceived, carefully crafted and well designed,” says expert Ellen A. Kaye, a renowned business communication and presentation consultant who advises business professionals how to make a powerful and lasting impression. Kaye explains that approximately 90% of business cards are thrown away within a week of being handed out; the 10% that are keepers are a powerful sales tool since they reinforce a company’s name, logo, identify and values each time someone glances at them.

In which group is your company's business card? Are all your efforts being thrown in the trash within days of distribution? Or is your company’s business card clearly and impressively conveying who you are and what you do for your customers? To boost the chances of your card being in the elite 10% that contacts keep, avoid these six common business card blunders:

Blunder #1. Using an inappropriate photo. Kaye recently received a business card from a woman who owned a flooring company. Half the card was taken up by a glamour shot of the woman wearing a purple velvet dress, thick blue eyeliner, bouffant hair and red lipstick. And as if this explosion of color weren’t enough, the card itself was printed on a blue and black background. “The photo was completely inappropriate and completely irrelevant,” says Kaye. “If you’re going to use a photo, it must communicate something relevant and essential about your company or the product or services you sell.” For instance, the flooring company owner should have chosen a photo of a beautiful, high-end home with top-of-the-line floors. Anyone who looked at her card would know immediately what she does and would be inspired to dream about having similar floors in their own homes. That way, the business card really works for the flooring company, planting the seeds for the sale.

Blunder #2. Using an inappropriate font. Many business owners select fonts that are too decorative and/or too small. Women, in particular, are often guilty of choosing fancy, flourishing fonts because they personally like the look of them. “The problem with a fancy font is that the femininity of it is often an unconscious turn-off to business men,” instructs Kaye. “Additionally, as the population ages, I often advise my clients to lean toward a larger font size so the senior, often very powerful business man, can read it without putting on his glasses.” Take a look at your business card. Is the writing on it sharp, strong, clear and easy to read without a magnifying glass? If not, it’s time to redesign your card.

Blunder #3. Not getting the help you need to make your business card stand out. Your business card is a crucial opportunity for you to stand out from the crowd and distinguish yourself from your competitors. Yet so often, cards are nothing but an uninspired recitation of facts: your name, title, company name and contact information on white paper with black lettering and perhaps a logo. Bor-ring! To grab the attention you want, you need to get creative. For instance, one faux painter’s business card uses white lettering on a centered black square background, bordered by four different faux finishes, In addition to the contact information, the card reads: Old World, Tuscan, Color Wash, Marble, Stone. “The beautiful use of the colorful faux finishes really make this card stand out. It sends an unmistakably clear message about exactly what this company does,” praises Kaye.

Blunder #4. Failing to use the back. “Using the back of a business card to further convey your message is a rather new concept and breaks with tradition,” comments Kaye. “Nonetheless, it is an excellent place to continue making a statement about your company, your values or your brand.” Print your mission statement there, if it’s interesting, unique and if your company really adheres to it. However, if it reads like corporate-speak, try listing your goals or values. For instance, one Tempe, Arizona-based company’s goals include: strive for greatness; be humble; passionate about people; and have fun. “These would be perfect for a bulleted list on the back of their business card,” says Kaye. “When you use the back, you not only communicate more information about the values of your business, you create another topic for conversation with a potential customer.”

Blunder #5. Mistreating your cards. It’s almost better to be without a card than to pull out an old, bent card from within a pile of old receipts and family photos in your wallet. To demonstrate you care about your business and your professional image, carry your cards in a beautiful, professional-looking business card holder. When you treat your cards with care and respect, the recipients will be inclined to do the same – and thus less inclined to toss them into the nearest trash can.

Blunder #6. Not having business cards with you at all times. You never know when or where your dream customer will present himself to you. Which means you never know when or where you’ll need your business cards. Thus it is crucial you carry your business cards with you at all times. After all, what’s the point of putting hours of effort into making your card memorable if you don’t have it with you when you unexpectedly run into that Fortune 500 prospect you’ve been trying to meet for months? “It’s such a simple rule of business to carry your card with you at all times, but I am constantly amazed at the number of lost opportunities I see simply because people forgot to bring a business card,” laments Kaye. “As the old adage says, it’s better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.”

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 19, 2006
    Welcome MS. Why not take a moment to fill out your profile?

Thanks,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I've been following this thread for a while now and I feel I have to say something. I'm a extremely surprised to see that the majority of these cards are horrawful..yes HORRAWFUL. eek7.gif I see a few things going on here in this thread. 1. There is too much ego going on here. I bounce around to a lot of forums, photography and graphic design, and I read the same thing on each of them. "Armatures are kill the industry" I'm not going to debating that, but, there is a double standard, when your a photographer designing your business card and vise-versa. I suppose this is one of the things that surprise me, photography is a skill that everyone here holds to the highest degree but then don't give that same respect to the other skilled arts. If you don't know the 3C's concept, components and composition then pick up a book...is this not the advice that you give in photography? 2. It seems like a many of you are just saying "That's good enough." Whether you're a hobbits or a professional photographer, if your going to give out a business card, why wouldn't you want to give that potential client the best example of you quality work? That business card is one of the first marketing points of contact, followed by your website, portfolio and any other self-promotions.

Here is a small article on presentation skills by Ellen A. Kaye from her book, Maximize Your Presentation Skills

Please take the time to read it.

Release Date:
    March 16, 2006

OK Sage,

I'm sure the info you posted is good, I'll read it later. Maybe But since all our cards are so horrible, where is your great example to show us the way?

I take great exception to your discription of all of our cards being so poor. Many post their first ideas in order to generate feed back from the rest of us. The second or third effort is normally much improved, and is good enough for us, the great unwashed.

I like my card, you don't like it , tough! don't look at it.

Sam
  • Options
    MidnitsageMidnitsage Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I take great exception to your discription of all of our cards being so poor. Many post their first ideas in order to generate feed back from the rest of us. The second or third effort is normally much improved, and is good enough for us, the great unwashed.

I like my card, you don't like it , tough! don't look at it.

Sam

Sigh...Sam, I didn't say that ALL the cards were not worth of the paper they were printed on. There are QUITE a few really great ones here and I'm sure you know who you are, but there is an overwhelming amount that lacks. I may have been a bit blunt in my post but I also gave valuable information to help those seeking it. Your reaction to my post was part of the message I was trying to convey. You should really read what I wrote, though I know it is rather long, it might help you. For an artist, attention to detail should not stop when you put that lens down. Thats my feeling on the matter. It should never just be "good enough."
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Midnitsage wrote:
    Thank you for the info, it was very beneficial. I am looking at giving my card a refresher and this comes at a good time for me :D

{edit} here is what I came up with, it is a better match stylistically with my new website design coming out soon. The masses may tear it up when ready mwink.gif

business-card-shay-2006.jpg
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    It helped me, Midnitsage. Thanks.
  • Options
    ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    61013356-M.jpg

My take on a card im working on, I'm not a pro designer or anything and I'm sure it could use some work but so far I like it
  • Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think your text is hugging the edge too much. Give it a little breathing room.

I also wonder about the relationship between the text and the chair. I love how the whites on your card pop so nicely, and I wonder if you didn't pull back on the text just a little, make it a little gray, if the chair wouldn't be the main focus, and the text as a backup. In other words, it would allow your image to speak for itself more, and to sell your work. Make the text readable, but not so blatant.

And, maybe try a non-serif font on the front? I don't know, maybe the old-fashioned feel of the serif works with the chair, but I think a non-serif might be less obtrusive.

Lastly, lose "by" before your name and try putting it down by your contact info.

Oh, and you might want to rethink the back, it's nice to be able to write on it when you hand it out.

Yes the text is definitely too close to the edge. There should be a minimum of 3mm, preferably 5 mm space between the edge & the text. When a printer prints your cards he has to trim them out of a large stack. If the stock moves in the stack as the guillotine comes down, you will lose all your printed text that is close to the edge. Leaving at least 3mm will allow for this "slippage". :):
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 22, 2006

Shay - this is quite nice. I love the image you've chosen. If you're sincere about wanting input, here's mine:

1) Title Bar:
    a) I like your name in script. I don't love that particular typeface but I like that a flowing handscript mimics the gown
    b) lose the word "photography"
    c) lose the address block
    d) reduce the height of the title bar
    e) move your name to right side

2) contact block:
    a) eliminate your name
    b) edit to "Photography" (lose "owner")
    c) phone & email remain
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Is this what you were thinking of?
    shay_card_angelo1.jpg

Angelo wrote:
    Shay - this is quite nice. I love the image you've chosen. If you're sincere about wanting input, here's mine:

1) Title Bar:
    a) I like your name in script. I don't love that particular typeface but I like that a flowing handscript mimics the gown
    b) lose the word "photography"
    c) lose the address block
    d) reduce the height of the title bar
    e) move your name to right side

2) contact block:
    a) eliminate your name
    b) edit to "Photography" (lose "owner")
    c) phone & email remain
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    shay_card_angelo1.jpg
    I prefer the name on the left, with photography under it I just think it looks better, but im not an expert.

The "photography" lets the card viewer know what you do, and it could be the business name. Last I checked, here in ontario you dont have to register the business name if its your own name and what the business is, like Shay Stephens Photography.

On this forum we all assume its a photography business card since were all photographers, but if someone finds the card randomly on the street/posted on a bullitin board or something, they may not know what you do.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    sser wrote:
    61013356-M.jpg

My take on a card im working on, I'm not a pro designer or anything and I'm sure it could use some work but so far I like it

I think this is distinctive, and eye catching. Good job.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    shay_card_angelo1.jpg

Somewhere in between, Shay. First one was too busy, this one too sparse. I too liked the photography under your name. That's your company's name, no?

Anyway, you're darn close, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    Thank you for the info, it was very beneficial. I am looking at giving my card a refresher and this comes at a good time for me :D

{edit} here is what I came up with, it is a better match stylistically with my new website design coming out soon. The masses may tear it up when ready mwink.gif

I am going to diagree with my friend Angelo on this one. I think the original has better balance, and grabs your attention on first glance. I would need to see it with the real address typed in to ensure the length doesn't upset the balance.

My overall impression is that the card isn't as good as your wedding photos. Your wedding photos are well above average, and while I can't offer any good advice with direction or specifics I think you deserve a really great card, that will be a lasting impresion of your exceptional photographic skills.

Sam

Sam
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    sser wrote:
    61013356-M.jpg

My only question shane is why is the lettering on the lens a mirror image? Not a biggy, but it caught my eye as wierd.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    My only question shane is why is the lettering on the lens a mirror image? Not a biggy, but it caught my eye as wierd.ne_nau.gif

it was him holding the lens on a camera, i think he just cut out the rest of the camera and left his hand and the lens. could work better if you had a tripod and timer set-up and just holding the lens with the rear cap on, also, hold it so the name Canon is positioned at the top. its always fun for me as a photographer to look at another's business card and see what kinda gear they got:D
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    sser wrote:
    61013356-M.jpg

I love this!

Suggestions for minor changes, OK?

a) I would place your name lower / slightly smaller
    b) I would reduce the font size on the info
    c) I dare you to lose the word "photography"

My thinking on business cards is that they are NOT silent salesmen but placeholders in people's minds. If someone has your card it had damn well be because you handed it to them after talking and shaking hands.

Let the card be as creative as possible. Who, after speaking with you and seeing this card with that graphic, would NOT know it's the card of a photographer?
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I am going to diagree with my friend Angelo on this one.
    Sam

:whip