Options

New! Picasa Uploader

Comments

• Options
    redoneredone Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2007
    I am pretty sure we are firewalled at work here, and I am not sure about my laptop at home, I am sure I have it turned on. I am not exactly that savy when it comes to this stuff.
    I will mess around with that tonight maybe.
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    redone this might address your problem - after starting the upload to smugmug, do not touch anything in Picasa until the upload is complete.

I was playing around with the upload feature (which I love and seems to work much faster for me than any of the other upload programs), and if you scroll to another Picasa gallery or click on a photo and change the images in your selection box at the bottom of Picasa, the upload dialogue will just disappear and apparently the connection is terminated.

Hopefully it's a simple as that for you.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    Forget everything I just said (although it is true about not touching anything in Picasa). I just realized that I had mistakenly uploaded images that I had resized for another purpose (400 x 600). I can't get it to take a large batch of full res images, not even ten at a time. It will do 3 at a time. But I always had the same problem with any of the other simple uploaders...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    Offtopic, thanks for the suggestions. I have actually tried closing everything and clicking upload and then doing NOTHING, still the same problem.
  • Options
    leonil7leonil7 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2007
    AcdSee v10's SmugSmug Uploader
    AcdSee v10's upload tool also works flawlessly. Great photo editing and viewing too. thumb.gif

shot034id5.jpg

Andy wrote:
    We were very fortunate this week to work with a really good API Developer named Richard John, who came up with an awesome Picasa Uploader.

If you use Picasa, you can go here and get it :) It's free, and it works great. We've pre-tested it at SmugMug this week, and it's looking really good. Please give it a try deal.gif

Install the uploader, then launch Picasa and start uploading :)

Here's a screen shot, just select your photo(s), then click the SmugMug button. After that, it's really easy and intuitive.

Please report any feedback, requests, and of course bugs, right here. The developer will be watching!

clap.gifclap.gif

195323079-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    about to give up
    Okay, i disabled the windows firewal, i have no other programs running and still no go, tried to upload 9 photos, got 1/2 minute in and the status bar just disapeared.

not sure why this is happening. I feel like a moron at this point.
  • Options
    coopermjcoopermj Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2007
    Upload fails
    I think we're having the same problem in that the status bar just disappears during an attempted upload. Picasa on XP. Was working fine up until about two weeks ago. Blew away cache, cookies, etc. Once in a while, it still works, but mostly just fails now and makes us very sad.

Help?
  • Options
    c3pokahc3pokah Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 15, 2007
    Anyone have any luck with figuring out what's going on? I could upload fine yesterday and now today it gets partially through and the upload status bar disappears? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    I'm sorry, these problems are just due to my shared hosting being unable to cope with the demand.
    The method of uploading is meant to be changing so these problems won't happen, but I've been waiting for a reply from SmugMug for nearly a month now.
  • Options
    goldentwiggoldentwig Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 27, 2007
    RichardJohn,
    Once the servers get changed over to the Smugmug servers, will we be able to upload more than 190 MB of photos at a time? That's my biggest roadblock... I just created a custom "album" in Picasa of photos, but it looks like I'll have to upload them in batches because the total size of the photos is 390 MB.

Also, did you ever add the ability to choose a subcategory?

The only other suggestion I have right now is to add a way to cancel the file transfer... sometimes I start an upload and then realize that I need to stop it, but there's no good way to do that except to close Picasa altogether.

Thanks!
    - Holly
  • Options
    spannersspanners Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I'm sorry, these problems are just due to my shared hosting being unable to cope with the demand.
    The method of uploading is meant to be changing so these problems won't happen, but I've been waiting for a reply from SmugMug for nearly a month now.

Has there been any advance on this? I just tried a bunch of uploads using Picasa and got nowhere... very slow attempts to upload, progress meter disappears regularly, no category created (even a blank one)... was really happy to see a Picasa uploader but really disappointed that it's not working. Back to exporting and 'send to smugmug'...
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 2, 2008
    It's being worked on. Sorry for the slow response on this.
  • Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    This is a great addition. Picasa is part of my work flow...I usually use it to put my pics in a cohesive file and do some initial editing (getting rid of bad shots etc. etc.) before heading over to CS3.

Thanks for setting this us for us! clap.gif

So far I'm having the same issues others have related. I can upload about two pictures. But anything more than that and the "posting" bar during upload just disappears without any messages at all. I basically have to start all over again.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    bump....any new word on how this thing is progressing? I wasn't able to upload anything last night...not even one image. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ceobobceobob Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2008
    Yeah..when I use the Smug Mug plug in, I get a weird error when I try logging in from Picasa into Smug Mug. Here it is:

Warning: Unknown: write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () in Unknown on line 0

Then I successfully logged in eventually and then got two little dots with a blank screen.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Hi, hang in there, we're testing a newer version and hope to have it out soon thumb.gif

In the meantime, you can upload with the Simple uploader from SmugMug....
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    Thanks for keeping us updated Andy. Can't wait to try out the new one. clap.gif
  • Options
    BiletBilet Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, hang in there, we're testing a newer version and hope to have it out soon thumb.gif

In the meantime, you can upload with the Simple uploader from SmugMug....

Andy, I'm really looking forward to the updated Picasa Uploader - the current one unfortunately is far from being reliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it looks as if it works (progress bar) but in the end, nothing happens.

I personally feel, that Picasa is the most convenient way of managing my photos and the Uploader (if stable) would really make a difference for me. (I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to stay at Phanfare or move to SM or ZF.)

I'm aware, that Google has a somewhat competitive offering - Picasa Webalbum - but hopefully this will not slow down the interest from SM to support the development of the Uploader. From a SM point of view, this could also be an opportunity by making Picasa Webalbum users interested in SM.

Knud
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2008
    We're getting closer to a new version... Hang in there hopefully not much longer :)
  • Options
    firecat53firecat53 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We're getting closer to a new version... Hang in there hopefully not much longer :)
    Any chance of testing this so it works with Picasa for Linux? :) Thanks!

Scott
  • Options
    RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    The method used with Windows Picasa doesn't work with the WINE version, sorry!
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 29, 2008
    The new SmugMug version is now live. You can install the new button [URL="picasa://importbutton/?url=http://www.smugmug.com/photos/picasa/picasa2smugmug.pbz"]here[/URL].
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    The new SmugMug version is now live. You can install the new button [URL="picasa://importbutton/?url=http://www.smugmug.com/photos/picasa/picasa2smugmug.pbz"]here[/URL].
    Thanks dev :) Just did and it works great....thumb.gif
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 29, 2008
    If you have richard's old version installed, it will now redirect to the new SmugMug version.

But if you want to get the sexy looking SmugMug button, install [URL="picasa://importbutton/?url=http://www.smugmug.com/photos/picasa/picasa2smugmug.pbz"]this[/URL].
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Thank you!!
    devbobo wrote:
    If you have richard's old version installed, it will now redirect to the new SmugMug version.

But if you want to get the sexy looking SmugMug button, install [URL="picasa://importbutton/?url=http://www.smugmug.com/photos/picasa/picasa2smugmug.pbz"]this[/URL].

Thank you..
  • Options
    goldentwiggoldentwig Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2008
    Wow, what timing... I haven't checked this thread in weeks and just happened to need it tonight and found the working updates! Thanks so much!!! clap.gif

So does this mean that the 190 MB file size upload limitation has now been eliminated? I figured it's easier to ask than potentially waste time testing it out myself...
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    goldentwig wrote:
    Wow, what timing... I haven't checked this thread in weeks and just happened to need it tonight and found the working updates! Thanks so much!!! clap.gif

So does this mean that the 190 MB file size upload limitation has now been eliminated? I figured it's easier to ask than potentially waste time testing it out myself...
    Yes. wings.gif
  • Options
    brodickbrodick Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 30, 2008
    Well done. Certainly worth waiting for. wings.gif
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    Seems to be working well! thumb.gif

Love the sexy new button too. :D
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Hey guys:

A minor annoyance:

I have gallery categories sorted by position (manually).

When I create a new gallery and upload with the Picasa Uploader, it seems to make the category for the new gallery go to the "top" of the stack.

This is bad. If my categories are arranged manually, *NOTHING* should change that order except me manually moving them around.

Thanks.

--Darryl