Options

New! Picasa Uploader

Comments

• Options
    cedricwaltercedricwalter Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2008
    can not submit any list of tags anymore
    Hi all

Discover smugmug last week, and really like the picasa integration.

Is it me or the uploader GUI has change?

I can not submit any list of tags anymore! can smugmug or the developer comment? I would like to upload some picture from picasa and can not imagime enter tag manually for each picture using smugmug html interface.

Thanks
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 2, 2008
    Hi all

Discover smugmug last week, and really like the picasa integration.

Is it me or the uploader GUI has change?

I can not submit any list of tags anymore! can smugmug or the developer comment? I would like to upload some picture from picasa and can not imagime enter tag manually for each picture using smugmug html interface.

Thanks

Cedric,

Yes, keywording has been removed from the uploader screen. If you want to keyword/tag your photos, we recommend that you do so from within Picasa.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    cedricwaltercedricwalter Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Cedric,

Yes, keywording has been removed from the uploader screen. If you want to keyword/tag your photos, we recommend that you do so from within Picasa.

Cheers,

David

Thanks it is working, wth CTRL-K I am able to enter my keyword in picasa!

Thanks great job
    Cedric
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Having trouble with the new picasa uploader.

I just finished uploading 200+ pictures using it. Seemed to be working fine until the end, when I got the "success" page.

"Success!
    All 0 of your photos were uploaded.

Click here to view the gallery you uploaded to."

Link to gallery goes to http://upload.smugmug.com/gallery//

I was trying to upload to a new gallery, created by the picasa uploader. The new gallery isn't created, and there's no sign of the pictures.

Any ideas?

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    pilotdave wrote:
    Having trouble with the new picasa uploader.

I just finished uploading 200+ pictures using it. Seemed to be working fine until the end, when I got the "success" page.

"Success!
    All 0 of your photos were uploaded.

Click here to view the gallery you uploaded to."

Link to gallery goes to http://upload.smugmug.com/gallery//

I was trying to upload to a new gallery, created by the picasa uploader.

Any ideas?

Dave

G'day Dave,

Did you select an existing gallery or try to create a new one ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    G'day Dave,

Did you select an existing gallery or try to create a new one ?

Cheers,

David

Tried to create a new one.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    pilotdave wrote:
    Tried to create a new one.

Dave

can you the same steps again with a small number of photos ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    can you the same steps again with a small number of photos ?

Works fine for small numbers.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    pilotdave wrote:
    Works fine for small numbers.

Dave

Do you remember the Gallery title and Category/SubCategory that you initially used for creating the new gallery ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Do you remember the Gallery title and Category/SubCategory that you initially used for creating the new gallery ?

Gallery was called "February 2008 backup" (or maybe "Feb 2008 backup") under Other -> Backups

It's there now though, created when I uploaded 4 pics to test it.

Dave
  • Options
    Garageguy05Garageguy05 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 10, 2008
    Similar Issues - Picasa Plug-In Failing on 40 pix
    I'm having similar issues in that medium-sized upload batches to new galleries are failing, either with the "0 files successfully uploaded" dialog box or no warning. My last two attempts have been with only 40 jpgs with a total of about 135MB.

A smaller upload of a subset of 10 pictures worked. Subsequent upload attempt to the gallery of 10 and then 5 pictures failed.

Details: I'm in the trial period for a "pro" account. Windows Vista Home Premium, Picasa 2.7, connecting through a wireless router into a cable modem.

UPDATE: I've continued uploading photos to this album using the uploader in Photoshop Elements 6. An additional 50 jpgs were selected. The first 23 went without issue, then after every after 3-4 files Elements would balk - usually about the Internet connection (none of my other apps had a problem - was surfing in the background and never noticed any connectivity lapse). I could then hit retry, and the uploader would work for another 3-4 files, then throw the same error.
  • Options
    lobody94lobody94 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 10, 2008
    When I click on the link in firefox it says "firefox doesnt know how to open this address because the protocol (picasa) isnt associated with a program.

I tried the link in Windows Explorer also and it didnt find the page.

I also tried the link with picasa running and it still didnt work

Can anyone help?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    lobody94 wrote:
    When I click on the link in firefox it says "firefox doesnt know how to open this address because the protocol (picasa) isnt associated with a program.

I tried the link in Windows Explorer also and it didnt find the page.

I also tried the link with picasa running and it still didnt work

Can anyone help?

Thanks

yes, you need to have the picasa application installed in order to do this. If you do and this is still occuring, perhaps try upgrading the version you are using.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    NCalCamper wrote:
    Hi, I'm trying to migrate my photos from Picasa to Smugmug. I'm using the new loader directly from Picasa and it works well. However, I'm interested in uploading my entire photo collection and, I want to use the folder structure/organization that is in Picasa. Is there a way to do this without having to rename each category/gallery in Smugmug? Thanks in advance. NCC
    You can do it now :)

SmuggLr is now supporting auto-migration from Picasa Web clap.gif

http://smugglr.smugmug.com

w00p :ivar
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Please report any feedback, requests, and of course bugs, right here. We'll will be watching!

a valid URL for non IE users would be fantabulous. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    com3 wrote:
    a valid URL for non IE users would be fantabulous. thumb.gif

not sure what you mean, can you please elaborate ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    not sure what you mean, can you please elaborate ?

"picasa://" unless you have your MIME settings configured... isn't a valid protocol. :D

picasa://importbutton/?url=http://www.smugmug.com/photos/picasa/picasa2smugmug.pbz

^is the link andy posted. i went to picasa.com and snatched it up, but it doesn't have the smugmug compatibility that i can find... *shrugs*
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    com3 wrote:
    "picasa://" unless you have your MIME settings configured... isn't a valid protocol. :D

picasa://importbutton/?url=http://www.smugmug.com/photos/picasa/picasa2smugmug.pbz

^is the link andy posted. i went to picasa.com and snatched it up, but it doesn't have the smugmug compatibility that i can find... *shrugs*

do you have picasa installed ? If you do, picasa:// should be registered. If not, perhaps try upgrading.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    do you have picasa installed ? If you do, picasa:// should be registered. If not, perhaps try upgrading.

Cheers,

David

nah, i didn't. nor do i anymore...already uninstalled it. :D
  • Options
    Garageguy05Garageguy05 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2008
    Link is broken...
    Hello Andy,

The link you provided isn't working. Typo?

Seth

Andy wrote:
    You can do it now :)

SmuggLr is now supporting auto-migration from Picasa Web clap.gif

http://smugglr.smugmug.net

w00p :ivar
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Hello Andy,

The link you provided isn't working. Typo?

Seth

that should be http://smugglr.smugmug.com thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    jimljiml Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2008
    Picasa2SmugMug button not working in Linux
    Oh yes it does, well not automatically. As a facebook button can be installed (not sure how they do it), I thought "there must be a simple of of doing this, and there is, sort of .....

Download the pbz file, you'll have to hack the URL removing everything before the http:// (unless some nice person can hack their original message). Then copy the file to the /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Picasa2/buttons directory and when you start/re-start picasa, it appears as if by magic. :ivar

Now if only I can get Smugglr to work in Linux!!!!!

Jim!
    The method used with Windows Picasa doesn't work with the WINE version, sorry!
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    jiml wrote:
    Now if only I can get Smugglr to work in Linux!!!!!

SmuggLr doesn't run in Linux ?

I can't say that I have tried it recently, but there shouldn't be anything that I can think of that would stop it from working.

What service are you transferring from ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    jimljiml Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 17, 2008
    Had only tried Picasa as that's the only site I still have photos on. Have since tried Flickr and it seems to go through the correct motions requesting that Smugglr have access etc, so it would appear Picasa is problematic.

I have disabled both Greasemonkey and Sxipper (password/identity tool) in case there were any clashes, but no change. It simply goes either straight to Picasa Web (My Photos) screen if initially logged in or to login screen, then Piscasa Web (My Photos) Screen if initially logged out.

Jim!
    devbobo wrote:
    SmuggLr doesn't run in Linux ?

I can't say that I have tried it recently, but there shouldn't be anything that I can think of that would stop it from working.

What service are you transferring from ?
  • Options
    Tomkirk23Tomkirk23 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Enhancement request...
    Hi -

I have developed a photo album for my extended family using Smugmug. I have photos categorized by Category=Family Name (e.g., Jones), SubCat=Timeframe (e.g., 1960-1964) and Gallery=Event or Whatever (e.g., Tom and Helene Wedding, Miscellaneous, etc.)

Given my large family and a definite lack of precision in categorization, I will always have alot of Galleries named "Miscellaneous".

Unfortunately, SmugMug itself (e.g., Move Photo) and a number of the related tools (e.g., Picasa Uploader) seem to expect that everyone has uniquely named Galleries.

While I am a heavy Picasa user, I do not use the Uploader due to this problem (I can't figure out which "Miscellaneous" gallery to upload the photo to!).

I would like to request that the "Existing Gallery" list include the Category and Subcategory.

Thanks!

Tom K.
    kirkpatrick.smugmug.com
  • Options
    george-1george-1 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Tomkirk23 wrote:
    Hi -

I have developed a photo album for my extended family using Smugmug. I have photos categorized by Category=Family Name (e.g., Jones), SubCat=Timeframe (e.g., 1960-1964) and Gallery=Event or Whatever (e.g., Tom and Helene Wedding, Miscellaneous, etc.)

Given my large family and a definite lack of precision in categorization, I will always have alot of Galleries named "Miscellaneous".

While what you are requesting would be nice, an easy workaround would be to name your miscellaneous galleries a bit more specific, such as "Jones-1960-1964-Miscellaneous", or "Misc-J-60-64".

A miscellaneous gallery doesn't have to be named "Miscellaneous."
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    george-1 wrote:
    While what you are requesting would be nice, an easy workaround would be to name your miscellaneous galleries a bit more specific, such as "Jones-1960-1964-Miscellaneous", or "Misc-J-60-64".

A miscellaneous gallery doesn't have to be named "Miscellaneous."

I hear what you are saying....yes, this is an approach. However, from a user's perspective, this is not nearly as friendly. Also makes the breadcrumb redundant. I also have to rename the gallery if I ever move it to a different category/subcategory.

I am speaking more from an application development perspective: Given that SmugMug has a built-in hierarchy, with galleries existing within categories and subcats... and that there is no requirement that gallery names be unique... it seems kind of required that gallery names appear within their hierarchical structure.

I think this adds flexibility and better reflects how SmugMug has been designed to work.

Thanks,

Tom K.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Tom,

I have made the changes internally to append the Category/SubCategory names to the Album list.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Tom,

I have made the changes internally to append the Category/SubCategory names to the Album list.

Cheers,

David

David: Thanks much for the quick reply. In addition to the Picasa Uploader, my comments also apply to Smugmug features such as Move Photo. I would be happy to post in a separate thread if that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tom K.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008