New! Picasa Uploader

123457»

Comments

• Options
    SourireSourire Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 18, 2009
    Meta data upload
    Hello,

I'm new to SmugMug but a veteran user of Picasa. I tag pix and use the new facial recognition capabilities. It's a terrific feature. For instance when shooting a school over a year's time as it automatically tag every student with his or her name. Is there a way to include these metadata automatically during the upload and have them reflected within SM?

Best,

Chris
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Hi, no right now but maybe in the future!

Welcome!
  • Options
    Raw EmotionRaw Emotion Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2010
    Picasa upload no longer working
    For some reason I no longer can upload from Picasa 3. All I get is a window popping up with the Smugmug logo at the top with home Login Help & Search. And then a HUGE black screen below it.

When I close the window it asks me if I want to quit uploading, which I have not even begun yet.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    For some reason I no longer can upload from Picasa 3. All I get is a window popping up with the Smugmug logo at the top with home Login Help & Search. And then a HUGE black screen below it.

When I close the window it asks me if I want to quit uploading, which I have not even begun yet.

Any ideas?
    Smugug is working it out now. Hang tight.
  • Options
    shmoojshmooj Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2010

Any ideas?

try logging in
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    I've been having trouble with the picasa uploader lately too - ever since I upgraded Picasa. It used to be I could start an upload and then still navigate around and use picasa for other things, but now when I start a smugmug upload I cannot do anything in picasa while the upload happens - no scrolling, opening photos, changing folders, etc. This does not happen when I upload to other services (ie facebook/snapfish). Also I have had the 0 images uploaded. I am going to try what someone suggested about switching back to firefox for my default browser (I switched to Chrome too) but I don't know if that is going to fix ALL of these problems I am having... Does the uploader need to be updated to work better with the newer version of picasa perhaps? headscratch.gif
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    I've been having trouble with the picasa uploader lately too - ever since I upgraded Picasa. It used to be I could start an upload and then still navigate around and use picasa for other things, but now when I start a smugmug upload I cannot do anything in picasa while the upload happens - no scrolling, opening photos, changing folders, etc. This does not happen when I upload to other services (ie facebook/snapfish). Also I have had the 0 images uploaded. I am going to try what someone suggested about switching back to firefox for my default browser (I switched to Chrome too) but I don't know if that is going to fix ALL of these problems I am having... Does the uploader need to be updated to work better with the newer version of picasa perhaps? headscratch.gif
    Hi, please write our Support Heroes so we can work with you from the help desk thanks.
  • Options
    coopermjcoopermj Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2010

Same here -- we used to love how we could keep working during an upload, but no more. :( We'd fire off 2 or 3 uploads at the same time. Now that we can't, our weekly upload sessions turned into no uploads since February. This isn't good at all.
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    coopermj wrote: »
    Same here -- we used to love how we could keep working during an upload, but no more. :( We'd fire off 2 or 3 uploads at the same time. Now that we can't, our weekly upload sessions turned into no uploads since February. This isn't good at all.

Glad it's not just me!
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2010
    Glad it's not just me!

Guys, just to let you know, the Picasa loader, while convenient, it's nowhere near the fastest way to upload. Use our Simple in-browser uploader for the fastest uploading. Just sayin'
  • Options
    shmoojshmooj Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    picasa uploader gallery order
    just a request for whoever manages the development of this tool. I love uploading from within picasa... that's very convenient. BUT, two things I would love to see:
    1. please please please let the gallery dropdown box list galleries in alphabetical order rather than last changes. I have photos I want to add in to galleries I haven't changed in months and I have hundreds of galleries. FInding the gallery I need takes ages and sometimes, I can't do it and use another uploader.
    2. Could you have the uploader detect duplicates much like the browser based version does. Then it would effectively allow you to sync galleries because by selecting all pics in a picasa gallery and then uploading, you could see if any were not online yet.
    great tool though... just some ideas to make it greater!
  • Options
    waldenwestwaldenwest Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2010
    Sigh...this Picasa uploader randomizes the order in which I arrange my photos. Which sucks since I have to rearrange my photos all over again when I upload it.

I love using Picasa because I can arrange, crop and add captions to photos. Then I upload. Now all that work is lost.

How the heck does anybody else do it? Uploading it then doing editing / rearranging takes too long.
  • Options
    Thomas LawrenceThomas Lawrence Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2010
    I've pretty much stopped looking at the Picasa Uploader; I like Picasa too, but if it's not compatable with SmugMug forget it. I'll just use the smugmug uploader.
  • Options
    AngryScotAngryScot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    would be nice to have the security template/options available on the picasa uploader, I have to upload then jump in and set the stuff in smugmug. 2 steps not a huge pain but would be a nice feature to have for us picasa users.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2011
    Anyone else having the issue where the upload window for picasa just keeps flashing?
    I cannot login or upload images! eek7.gif

picasa version 3.8.7.361
    Mac 10.6.6
  • Options
    TysaxTysax Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    AngryScot wrote: »
    Anyone else having the issue where the upload window for picasa just keeps flashing?
    I cannot login or upload images! eek7.gif

picasa version 3.8.7.361
    Mac 10.6.6

Please log out of your site in your browser and logout of the Picasa uploader. Repeat the upload process in Picasa using the Smugmug button. You'll have to login again. If the problem persists, email us at help@smugmug.com and we'll be glad to provide further assistance.

Tyree
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    Tysax wrote: »
    Please log out of your site in your browser and logout of the Picasa uploader. Repeat the upload process in Picasa using the Smugmug button. You'll have to login again. If the problem persists, email us at help@smugmug.com and we'll be glad to provide further assistance.

Tyree
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
    Thanks, logged out of browser and picasa. Logged back in via picasa uploader, it logged me in but failed to allow upload, cancel and try again and it worked.

Funky but it works, thank you.
  • Options
    syntec4syntec4 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    I had the flashing window when trying to upload. I couldn't fix it just with logging out in my browser and Picasa (3.8.9). Eventually found I had to logout in my browser (chrome) as suggested and then clear the cache in Safari (i'm on a mac 10.7) to sort the problem. Strange as I don't use safari at all and chrome is my default browser. Must have used it at some point though i guess, but definitely not recently and I've only had the problem a few days. Thought it might help someone.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    syntec4 wrote: »
    I had the flashing window when trying to upload. I couldn't fix it just with logging out in my browser and Picasa (3.8.9). Eventually found I had to logout in my browser (chrome) as suggested and then clear the cache in Safari (i'm on a mac 10.7) to sort the problem. Strange as I don't use safari at all and chrome is my default browser. Must have used it at some point though i guess, but definitely not recently and I've only had the problem a few days. Thought it might help someone.
    Thanks for the tip and glad you were able to resolve your issue! :)
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Alex_KAlex_K Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    Picasa 3.9
    Hi guys,
    My Picasa has upgraded to 3.9 and my smugmug upload button has disappeared. Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Alex
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2012
    Alex_K wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    My Picasa has upgraded to 3.9 and my smugmug upload button has disappeared. Any ideas?
    Hi Alex,
    Did you try the instructions on installing the button again? You can find them here:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93283-uploading-from-picasa

If this doesn't work, please contact us at the HelpDesk with details on what happens when you try to add the button:
    http://help.smugmug.com/
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Alex_KAlex_K Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    Hi Alex,
    Did you try the instructions on installing the button again? You can find them here:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93283-uploading-from-picasa

If this doesn't work, please contact us at the HelpDesk with details on what happens when you try to add the button:
    http://help.smugmug.com/

hey hey! Happy again!
  • Options
    freddie_dfreddie_d Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Picasa 3.9 Uploads - Quality Problem
    I use Picasa 3.9 (3.9.7.585) on a Mac. The SmugMug upload button is installed and works.

Issue: If I apply ANY edits in Picasa and use the upload button, the image that ends up in SmugMug is not preserved at its original quality. I've tested with several pictures and here is just one example using the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

Original file (JPG): 4000 x 3000 pixels. Filesize: 6.9 MB.
    SmugMug Version (using upload button in Picasa): 4000 x 3000 pixels. Filesize: 2.47 MB.
    Same picture exported with Image quality set to Automatic (to preserve original image quality) to a folder, results in a 6.1 MB file.

Using any of the other editing features yields similar results. Applying no edits, the original uploads without any reduction in quality.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and is there a fix, other than exporting to a folder and then dragging the pictures into SmugMug using the web-based uploader? I would like to avoid this extra step, and having to retype any captions.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2012
    There's no way to control the quality with the SmugMug uploader in Picasa, I'm sorry. If you want control over the quality, you can export your photos to a folder with your desired quality settings and then use our browser uploader to upload the exported photos.

I just tried it on my Picasa 3.9 on Windows. For a photo with a caption and keyword, the caption and keyword exported fine into the IPTC metadata of the photo. Uploading the photo the caption and keyword was automatically imported by SmugMug.

Maybe you tried to drag photos directly from Picasa to the browser uploader? That won't work due to the way Picasa works. Picasa doesn't modify your original files as far as I know and thus only on export / upload, changes are applied.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    freddie_dfreddie_d Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2012
    Thank you, Sebastian. It's good to know that it's the software and not me. I noticed that keywords will in fact carry over if you export the pictures to a folder and then use the web-based uploader, which actually works quite well. It's an extra step, but not the end of the world.