Options

New! Picasa Uploader

Comments

• Options
    vrvincevrvince Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    fgaston wrote:
    Andy: concur with other posters edited pics are not being uploaded at full size, and there is no option for in Picasa options to control upload size I can find (only control in options is for emails pictures; for uploading only control is via Web Album). Smugmug button in Picasa appears to have bug with regard to edited pictures. Please advise so we can get edited photos to upload at full size. Thanks, Fred

I experience the same problem. No Picasa options to tweak. Vincent
  • Options
    qsjewlqsjewl Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    TBT wrote:

One small request: It would be nice if a slideshow would play the videos automagically. My folks put the slideshows on the big screen TV and it would be great if they could just sit back and watch the pictures and the videos with no intervention. Picasaweb works that way but of course smugmug is better in every other aspect.

I second that request. As a former phanfare customer, I loved the fact that their videos played automatically in the slideshow mode and so did the family. This would be a very nice feature to add to smugmug.
  • Options
    grapejapegrapejape Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Picasa Uploader
    The Picasa Uploader is a great tool, but it could be a really, really, really great tool if it had a few more features added.

1) When you upload photos using this tool, you get the default gallery settings with no option to change. It would be nice to at least be able to apply a pre-saved setting - much less be able to manually change settings while creating a new gallery like with other uploading tools.

2) It would be nice to have the Picasa album descriptions automatically synced with the Smugmug album descriptions. I generally add descriptions of my albums in Picasa to make it easier to search for certain things. The individual captions on the photos transfer, but not the album descriptions.

My current workflow is as follows:

a) Take photos -
    b) load to PC w/ Canon software (if RAW) or Picasa (if JPEG)
    c) edit and convert RAW to JPEG (if necessary)
    d) organize, add location, album descriptions, and photo captions with Picasa
    e) load to Smugmug with Picasa Uploader
    f) log into smugmug account and change gallery settings using saved preset
    g) manually add SmugMug descriptions matching Picasa descriptions

The recommended features would completely eliminate steps f and g

- Jason
  • Options
    voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Picasa uploader folder subfolder structure ?
    Can you create categories in your SmugMug account with Picasa uploader? Sub-categories ? If so, can you upload your local folder structure with Picaso uploader - like, say : you can with Star Explorer ? Where the folders, sub-folders become categories, sub-categories ?
    If so , how is Picaso uploader at retaining EXIF or IPTC ?
    Does it bulk/batch resize ?

Thanks for any help ,

Marty ( voicelit),
    http://dotfur.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    voicelit wrote:
    Can you create categories in your SmugMug account with Picasa uploader? Sub-categories ? If so, can you upload your local folder structure with Picaso uploader - like, say : you can with Star Explorer ? Where the folders, sub-folders become categories, sub-categories ?
    If so , how is Picaso uploader at retaining EXIF or IPTC ?
    Does it bulk/batch resize ?

Thanks for any help ,

Marty ( voicelit),
    http://dotfur.smugmug.com/
    Hey Marty, have you tried it? It's free and easy and most of these questions will be answered by just trying it :D
  • Options
    voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    So I HAVE To "JOIN" PICASa
    Andy ( or anyone),

So, I have to what : Join Picassa, have a Picasa account, and - I guess- have thr pics I'm gonna upload on my Picasa acount ?

Thanks for any help,

Marty
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    voicelit wrote:
    Andy ( or anyone),

So, I have to what : Join Picassa, have a Picasa account, and - I guess- have thr pics I'm gonna upload on my Picasa acount ?

Thanks for any help,

Marty
    Of course not. Go download picasa and put it on your PC. Try it. Get the button. Upload and enjoy.
  • Options
    alana1223alana1223 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 8, 2008
    Resize Options and Quick Settings Options
    I use Picasa to organize photos and PS CS3 to do any "real" editing...

I have been using Picasa albums, but am just now switching over to SmugMug (Thanks to Leo Laporte!) and I miss the upload feature that will let you define the file size and quality that is available in Picasa when uploading to Picasa albums.

I would also love to see the Quick Settings Options available with the Picasa button.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    alana1223 wrote:
    I use Picasa to organize photos and PS CS3 to do any "real" editing...

I have been using Picasa albums, but am just now switching over to SmugMug (Thanks to Leo Laporte!) and I miss the upload feature that will let you define the file size and quality that is available in Picasa when uploading to Picasa albums.

I would also love to see the Quick Settings Options available with the Picasa button.

Thanks!
    Thanks for the suggestion Alana!
  • Options
    MaksimusMaksimus Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Picasa problem
    Hi Andy,
    I have a question,by the way on PC Picasa and the SmugMug sign works perfectly but on my new laptop I can not download it for some reason.
    As soon as I click on the link the new window,it is not connecting to the internet.
    Any ideaseek7.gif,I am sure you will know but I have no idea,please help.Thank you.
    P.S. Otherwise I love the Smug Mug,you are doing A+ job thank you.
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion Alana!
    today is the day , take the picture .:thumb .
    www.inmyviewnow.com:barb
  • Options
    TBTTBT Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    voicelit wrote:
    Andy ( or anyone),

Thanks for any help,

Marty

What andy said, but I want to point out that I often see confusion between Picasaweb and picassa the applications.

The former is a service similar to smugmug that you have to join/upload etc. The latter is a standalone application that intergrates with picasaweb but does not require it.

While picasa the application is great in many ways, and the uploader is the best I've found for smugmug, be careful before relying on picasa for too much. The star rating and keyword implementations are not XMP/IPTC compliant. This is only an issue if you will ever want other applications (or windows vista) to recognize your "star" ratings. For keywords problem is only an issue if you ever want to use a multi word keyword such as San Francisco or Fourth of July.

aside: In case you are wonder smugmug is tons better than picasaweb. Picasaweb will "youtube" (reduce in quality) your videos, charges through the nose for storage and has no unlimited storage option. For posting a few photos in the 1gb they give you for free, it's OK but you will soon reach the limit and look for alternatives such as smugmug. That said, picasaweb has one feature I wish smugmug would adopt: videos will play automagically in slide shows instead of just showing the first frame. Much better experience for all the relatives that just hit the slideshow button instead of paging through picture by picture.
  • Options
    grapejapegrapejape Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Any updates on adding a feature to the Picasa uploader to use custom gallery settings when creating a new gallery. I have a "quick setting" that I apply to all of my galleries when I create them. However, Picasa does not have a method of selecting this, and instead creates new galleries with all of the default options (like the square thumbnails that I hate).

The final stage of my workflow is opening up my JPEGS in Picasa and adding captions, gallery descriptions, minor edits, etc . . . I'd love to be able to simply upload the folder from Picasa when completed, but since I can't use my quick settings I have to use alternate means.

- Jason
  • Options
    TehasTehas Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 28, 2008
    Picasa 3 - Uploaded 0 Images - FYI
    I just switched form Picasa 2 to Picasa 3 and starting having a problem with uploading images using the SmugMug button. Even if I uploaded 1 image, it would give me the "success" page with "0 images uploaded".

It turns out, if you upload to a new Gallery / Title, it doesn't work.

But if you create your gallery first using the SmugMug website, then you can upload your photos from Picasa.

Not the best workflow solution but it does work.

Hopefully this will save others some time researching. I spent several hours installing/un-installing trying different things until I stumbled on something that worked.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2008
    Tehas wrote:
    I just switched form Picasa 2 to Picasa 3 and starting having a problem with uploading images using the SmugMug button. Even if I uploaded 1 image, it would give me the "success" page with "0 images uploaded".

But if you create your gallery first using the SmugMug website, then you can upload your photos from Picasa.

Hopefully this will save others some time researching. I spent several hours installing/un-installing trying different things until I stumbled on something that worked.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    firecat53firecat53 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Upload to New Album doesn't work
    I've also noticed that the Upload to a New Album feature doesn't work. Uploading to an existing album works great. I'm using Picasa 3 on 64-bit linux.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • Options
    battsbatts Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Tehas wrote:

Hopefully this will save others some time researching. I spent several hours
    installing/un-installing trying different things until I stumbled on something that worked.
    Yes I too was having the same problems a few days back, scratching my head thinking it was something due to me using Picasa in linux. Seems to be something with picasa3.
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    link not working??
    Hey there!

Certified lurker (and thread killer everywhere)...

i used to have picassa and the smugmug uploader....
    and now, i don't, after cleaning up my computer and re-installing all sorts of junk
    (why i bothered uninstalling is another story)

i went to page one of this thread, and the link to get my smugmug button back into picassa isnt working anymore!!!

ne_nau.gif i wanna cry, cuz i have lots of pix that need uploading....

what am i doing wrong??

thanks in advance, trish
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    I couldn't get the uploader to download properly this week either - I upgraded to a new computer and just trying to get all my stuff working again. ne_nau.gif
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    lhenkinlhenkin Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2009
    New to PICASA_SMUGMUG CONNECTION
    Hi all! I am new to the PICASA -SMUGMUG connection, but I think it is really going to work for me. Can someone tell me how they use it for organizing. What is your workflow--from camera-to PICASA to SMUGMUG? Also, does anyone work the other way SMUG MUG TO PICASA?

Thanks so much,
    Leora
  • Options
    justcallmetomjustcallmetom Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2009
    picasa 3 not login in
    I'm sorry but I tried a lot and I still cannot get Picasa3 to log into SmugMug.

I've read a couple other people having this problem, but not really found a solution.

Anybody?
  • Options
    justcallmetomjustcallmetom Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2009
    picasa smugmug connection trouble fixed!
    I'm sorry but I tried a lot and I still cannot get Picasa3 to log into SmugMug.

I've read a couple other people having this problem, but not really found a solution.

Anybody?

I think I have solved it myself and I want to share what I did.

The problem has to do with the default browser that is being used. The pop-up window of Picasa is a browser window, and is using the default renderer. I recently started using Chrome and that became my default browser.

I switched back to Firefox as my default browser. Then restarted Firefox, restarted Picasa as well.

And bingo, it now works again.

I hope this helped someone else also.
  • Options
    lhenkinlhenkin Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2009
    Thanks so much. I will have to try that. Firefox here I come.
    Leora
    I think I have solved it myself and I want to share what I did.

The problem has to do with the default browser that is being used. The pop-up window of Picasa is a browser window, and is using the default renderer. I recently started using Chrome and that became my default browser.

I switched back to Firefox as my default browser. Then restarted Firefox, restarted Picasa as well.

And bingo, it now works again.

I hope this helped someone else also.
  • Options
    Carl314Carl314 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2009
    Is there a way to reset the upload settings, or delete the button and reinstall it from scratch?

I installed, and configured Picasa Uploader when my domain was still carl-blanca.smugmug.com. Now that I have a custom domain (carl-blanca.com), the photos are still uploaded to the *.smugmug.com domain.

I realize that they go to the same place in the end, but when clicking on the "click here to view album" link, the link is *.smugmug.com, which means to get the link to send to friends, I have to manually drill down through my category structure.

Thanks, Carl.
  • Options
    shmoojshmooj Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    The gallery selection has gone through many different different sorts... every time I change it someone complains! The one at the moment was suggested by SmugMug, but if users decided it will be better another way, it can be changed again.

I've got literally hundreds of galleries on smugmug. When I want to upload pics into a gallery that I created a couple of years ago, which is waaaaaay down the list in the uploader, it takes me so long to find it that I give up and use the smugmug website to upload now instead.

alphabetical sorting order as, at least, an option would help with this. I've a feeling that, as people's galleries grow in number, they too would appreciate this.
  • Options
    lokerdlokerd Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    The district IT folks just switched filters...blocking smugmug and just about ANYTHING useful for photography including PicasaWeb. They have unlocked my person smugmug account, but they aren't giving in on the PW block. Previous to yesterday, I used PW for personal stuff, but looks like I am going to need to use my SM account for additional content I wasn't using before. But some of smugmug is still blocked, like the css for my site. And I can't get to:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/picasa-smugmug-uploader

Is there an alternative site for the uploader?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    lokerd wrote:
    The district IT folks just switched filters...blocking smugmug and just about ANYTHING useful for photography including PicasaWeb. They have unlocked my person smugmug account, but they aren't giving in on the PW block. Previous to yesterday, I used PW for personal stuff, but looks like I am going to need to use my SM account for additional content I wasn't using before. But some of smugmug is still blocked, like the css for my site. And I can't get to:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/picasa-smugmug-uploader

Is there an alternative site for the uploader?

Thanks!
    Sorry, there isn't :(
  • Options
    lokerdlokerd Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry, there isn't :(

Ok, that is pretty straightforward answer...but perhaps I should have asked...is there another way? Like, I have it downloaded at home, can I get from a plugin folder somewhere on this computer and drag it to the computer at school?

Thanks!
  • Options
    rhdesignsrhdesigns Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    picasas troubles
    I really like the picasa problem and find it very easy and fast for quick editing. I currently set up a Mac and now added picasa. The only problem is that when i go to upload the files to Smugmug, the galleries on my selection box will not highlight, so that i can select the gallery to upload to. What can i do to fix that?
    thanks
    ryan
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    rhdesigns wrote:
    I really like the picasa problem and find it very easy and fast for quick editing. I currently set up a Mac and now added picasa. The only problem is that when i go to upload the files to Smugmug, the galleries on my selection box will not highlight, so that i can select the gallery to upload to. What can i do to fix that?
    thanks
    ryan
    We have to fix the uploader for the Mac Version, sorry. We'll get to it.
  • Options
    ohnoohno Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    Any idea when we might expect the update?
    Thanks
    Andy wrote:
    We have to fix the uploader for the Mac Version, sorry. We'll get to it.
    Old photojournalists never die they just go down shooting.

Fuji XPro-1 • Fuji 14mm F2.8 • Fuji 35mm F1.4 • Fuji 60mm F2.4 • Fuji 55-200mm F3.5

www.ohnodesign.com