Options

Muench Workshop: Isle of Mull, Scotland - May 2008

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Fred W wrote:
    This pic is really Great. Did you get your star using the 24mm TS-E lens or did you use another one? thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Fred! Yah that was the 24mm TS in action. I have never really tried the Muench star with it before and I like it.

I wish the sheep had its mouth open, as it was sure chewing a lot when I was shooting. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 13, 2008
    Nice star, Stephanie

The 24 T&S does a good job of Muench stars - we should have known that it would, since that is the lens Marc uses for them:D :Dclap.gif

308506276_jSy3N-XL.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nice star, Stephanie

Question - why does the 24 TS do a better job than any other wide angle? Mine is ordered and should arrive end of month, and I clearly have a lot of exploring to do with it. The "star feature" was not the reason for purchase, so I am curious to know why it is "better" for this..I'm assuming that you still need to shut down to f22, but no tilt or shift, and it's just that it's a prime lens, with less optical elements to provide the host of pink alien spaceships that my 16-35mm leaves littering every sunset I attempt!
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    Question - why does the 24 TS do a better job than any other wide angle? Mine is ordered and should arrive end of month, and I clearly have a lot of exploring to do with it. The "star feature" was not the reason for purchase, so I am curious to know why it is "better" for this..I'm assuming that you still need to shut down to f22, but no tilt or shift, and it's just that it's a prime lens, with less optical elements to provide the host of pink alien spaceships that my 16-35mm leaves littering every sunset I attempt!
    Pink alien spaceships! lol3.gif

I am not qualified to say whether or not the 24mm TS absolutely takes the cake for Muench stars, but it does make nice pointed-armed ones, I noticed. The lens I use mostly for stars was the 17-40, which makes very differently shaped stars with broad arms. I think it is largely a matter of taste (or what lens you happen to have on your camera at the time.)
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 14, 2008
    PHOTOempt wrote:

Sarah, I think the relative optical simplicity of primes versus zooms is at work - primes will usually have fewer elements and fewer air-glass interfaces than zooms, hence simpler, cleaner, less complex star images. I believe the number of rays is related to the number of iris petals in the lens iris mechanism but I am not sure.

Zooms will make stars also, even at f16, like in this frame. Zooms will generally suffer with more lens flare also which the 24-105 IS L is notorious for. See the lower edge of the frame.

305243358_HMvC6-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    Sarah, I think the relative optical simplicity of primes versus zooms is at work - primes will usually have fewer elements and fewer air-glass interfaces than zooms, hence simpler, cleaner, less complex star images. I believe the number of rays is related to the number of iris petals in the lens iris mechanism but I am not sure.

Zooms will make stars also, even at f16, like in this frame. Zooms will generally suffer with more lens flare also which the 24-105 IS L is notorious for. See the lower edge of the frame.

OMG - green alien spaceships - Are they common in Indiana?!
    Yes, I thought that it was the prime optical simplicity at work with the 24TS, and I am looking forward to playing. I have not tried a star at 16mm as I assumed that the iris petal configuration would be too open and the star therefore too muddy edged. Your 24-105 gives a pretty good star, though. As good as my 16-35mm at f22, but it is plagued with flares. One thing I discovered from this workshop is the power of Photoshop, and instead of adding grad ND filters to sunsets and making the flares worse, I can take multiple exposures, blend and layer to my hearts content. I still have the option of the grad Nd's but they are less of a necessity, and i shall be very interested to see if I can improve star quality and flare reduction in one, with the 24TS, as well as all the other landscape options tilting and shifting that lie before me!!
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Options
    nightingalenightingale Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Flower at the waterfall
    Here is a Schmoo cliffhanger!
    323064057_pBsEc-X2.jpg
    Nightingale...

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]I may not always be right, but I am never in doubt!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    Here is a Schmoo cliffhanger!

Kathy! :smo

So great to see you poke your head in here. I can feel the midges just looking at this! :D What a brave little flower. Do you know the name of it?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Kathy! :smo

So great to see you poke your head in here. I can feel the midges just looking at this! :D What a brave little flower. Do you know the name of it?

I do not know but I am looking. I was very close to the edge and could not look in the viewfinder because the ledge I was standing on was VERY small. :tiptoe
    Nightingale...

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]I may not always be right, but I am never in doubt!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    I do not know but I am looking. I was very close to the edge and could not look in the viewfinder because the ledge I was standing on was VERY small. :tiptoe

When you said Schmoo cliffhanger, I was expecting to see Schmoo free climbing...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    When you said Schmoo cliffhanger, I was expecting to see Schmoo free climbing...

As I have seen her several times! Sorry for the confusion. Schmoo would have been hanging on that ledge, but I could not get that close.bowdown.gif
    Nightingale...

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Processed this tonight, and I was immediately flooded with happy memories. Our guides, John and Kevin (L to R):

326979707_UuCMu-M.jpg

John mailed me one of his watercolors, which I'd requested while there. I received it a few weeks ago, and it's just lovely. Makes me want to fly back immediately.

You guys really did a great job finding us the most amazing guides on this workshop.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Processed this tonight, and I was immediately flooded with happy memories. Our guides, John and Kevin (L to R):

326979707_UuCMu-M.jpg

John mailed me one of his watercolors, which I'd requested while there. I received it a few weeks ago, and it's just lovely. Makes me want to fly back immediately.

You guys really did a great job finding us the most amazing guides on this workshop.
    Lovely shot, Kerry, of 2 really lovely people. They were great, fantastic knowledge of the area, and wonderful sense of humour, both of them. Can you let us see the water colour? I'm rather jealous!! You're going to Utah, you lucky so-and-so....More jealousy!
    Sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

326979707_UuCMu-S.jpg

Lovely shot and lovely thoughts, Kerry.

thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

326979707_UuCMu-M.jpg

I really like this shot Kerry, you've captured them really well. They were definitely one of the highlights of the trip, so knowledgeable and friendly.

Clearly another workshop in the UK with these two should be arranged without delay, I'd like to nominate the Lake District.

Charlie
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    I really like this shot Kerry, you've captured them really well. They were definitely one of the highlights of the trip, so knowledgeable and friendly.

Clearly another workshop in the UK with these two should be arranged without delay, I'd like to nominate the Lake District.

Charlie
    seconded -good idea Charlie - another is the Northumbrian coastline and I bet John and Kevin would be equally knowledgeable on both. Where do we sign up?
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    Can you let us see the water colour? I'm rather jealous!! You're going to Utah, you lucky so-and-so....More jealousy!
    Sarah
    Finally remembered to take a shot of this to share... thumb.gif He also included a sketch of a camera. :D

335991046_Bsgnh-L.jpg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Finally remembered to take a shot of this to share... thumb.gif He also included a sketch of a camera. :D

335991046_Bsgnh-L.jpg

So jealous!!!! :bash

Seriously, John was part of some of my best times on that island. I miss him, and his laugh. What a great laugh. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    So jealous!!!! :bash

Seriously, John was part of some of my best times on that island. I miss him, and his laugh. What a great laugh. :D
    Me too :pissed

Kerry gets all the cool stuff!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

AWE! SOME!! thumb.gif

I do miss the two of them. I can still hear their voices when I see your photo of them, chattering in the background and telling us all about the landscapes we're seeing.