Muench Workshop: Isle of Mull, Scotland - May 2008

Comments

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    So...what's on your shopping list to get before the trip? naughty.gif

Arrgh, can't make my mind up, MacBook, Pro or Air

Heart says Air, head says Pro, wallet says plain old MacBook, actually scratch that, wallet says none of the above, make do with your Epson P2000, hurrumph.

Charlie
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Arrgh, can't make my mind up, MacBook, Pro or Air

Heart says Air, head says Pro, wallet says plain old MacBook, actually scratch that, wallet says none of the above, make do with your Epson P2000, hurrumph.

Charlie

I wrestled the very same beast just a few months agorolleyes1.gif and am very happy I went with the Pro. Not only because I are oneeek7.gif but because I want to work in the field, and the other options dont offer HD spead or conectivity or video card or or or.......
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    There's an Apple store opening this week, not 15 miles from me, it's as though the planets are converging and there's only one possible outcome.

BTW Marc, if it's not too impertinent, how do you pronounce your surname?

Charlie
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:

BTW Marc, if it's not too impertinent, how do you pronounce your surname?

Charlie

"Mew nch" (Mew = few):D
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    "Mew nch" (Mew = few):D

thumb.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Ready to go - Almost
    I am almost ready for this great Scottish adventure. It appears as of this January, the UK airport restrictions of only one carry-on item have been relaxed to two items. My concern for being able to carry-on my camera gear and computer is over unless those restrictions change again. I plan on carrying my camera gear including tripod in my Think Tank Airport Security roller case. It meets the carry-on luggage size requirements and I just need to keep it below 40 lbs. My computer I will carry separately. I was able to book a nonstop 757 flight from NY to Glasgow so I shouldn't have to worry about gate checking my larger carry-on luggage. :D

For equipment, I plan on bringing the following:

Cameras - 1D MkIII, 20D, SD800IS
    Lenses- 16-35mm, 24-105mm, 70-200mm/F2.8IS, 1.4X extender
    Tripod, RRS pano gear
    Accessories -8G cards, ext hard drive, ND filters, shutter remote, batteries, chargers.
    Computer - Macbook pro.

Here's my dilema. I almost never shoot in the rain. Some of my equipment is weather sealed but I'm looking for a better way to carry a backpack in the rain. I can ziplock cameras and other sensitive items in the backpack but is there a good way to keep your bag dry other than leaving it behind or garbage bagging it? I plan on bringing a raincoat and maybe rainpants. Is a rain poncho worn over the backpack a better option? Hopefully most of our days will be dry. :D
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Fred W wrote:
    I plan on carrying my camera gear including tripod in my Think Tank Airport Security roller case.
    It depends on the security person you meet if he/she will allow you to bring a tripod. I know of our passengers that have been allowed to bring them, as well as those that were not allowed to. It's crazy, I know, but I would have a backup plan.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Next workshop destination.. I am gonna totally save up for it!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    It depends on the security person you meet if he/she will allow you to bring a tripod. I know of our passengers that have been allowed to bring them, as well as those that were not allowed to. It's crazy, I know, but I would have a backup plan.

Hi Ivar,

It would be just as easy to put a tripod in my check-in luggage but just not as secure for me.:D The problem is if they give me a hard time during the carry-on luggage check, my check-in luggage will have been processed already. Maybe it's better to be safe and risk putting it check-in luggage.eek7.gif:D
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2008
    I'm going to check my tripod, I wouldn't even attempt to carry it on but I'm flying from England and I'm sure it would be confiscated, things might be different in the US.

I've ordered a Peli 1520 case which fits the current carry on bag size allowance for my gear.

Charlie
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2008
    Well I opted for a Macbook in the end, a 2.4ghz variety. I was pleased this purchase coincided with recent upgrades clap.gif.

The Air is undeniably gorgeous but I think it lacks enough oomph for what I need. I noticed on the hotel website that they have wireless broadband in some areas of the building so hopefully I'll be able to hook up.

Charie
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Who's bringing a GPS unit? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Don't make me buy one of those as well. ne_nau.gif Schmoo's already made me buy a laptop :D

Charlie
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    My iPod is dying a slow death, so I may replace it with an iPhone. GPS covered. :Grin An likely necessary so I don't get lost driving with Jim around Wales the week beforehand. :giggle

My MacBook Pro is from work, and I already killed the previous one, so I'm leery of bringing it with me on the trip. Thus I want to buy a Mac laptop for my personal use. I'm still undecided on which, but I haven't done much serious digging. And likely won't until I actually have the money to spend. :Grin
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

YOU ARE!! :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    YOU ARE!! :Dthumb.gif

Yup!!! clap.gif

20080307-8da9nwjayddh52y73s6xn85h4a.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited March 8, 2008
    Will GPS units purchased here in the US, have base maps of Gr Britain in them? Or won't you need to load additional files for Gr Britain?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Will GPS units purchased here in the US, have base maps of Gr Britain in them? Or won't you need to load additional files for Gr Britain?

You will, I believe. You could still use it to track waypoints, though, I believe? But I'll be buying or finding a map for the UK. There are free maps available, although I'm not sure of the quality. I've just started my search for one, I'll certainly let you know what I find. Or, I may just buy a garmin. I plan on using my GPS, for sure. I'm going to do some geocaching on this trip! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    pathfinder,

The problem is, this is the map I really want. But it's £150!!!! That's $300 for a friggin' map! umph.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    pathfinder,

The problem is, this is the map I really want. But it's £150!!!! That's $300 for a friggin' map! umph.gif

Are you familiar with OS maps which are available for all areas and provide incredible detail - much easier to use and far cheaper :) you can still plot locations etc from the coordinates and get a better perspective of a greater area. In the UK an OS map would be considered the absolute definitive requirement. They are easily and widely available and very durable.
    http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/leisure/productDetails.jsp?item=32040&q=Isle%20of%20mull#
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Dave, the Colorado 400t DOES have a worldwide base map built into it according the this page on the Garmin site.

That is pretty cool.

I do own a paper Ordinance Survey map of Great Britain at 1:625,000 which I think will be helpful driving in Wales.

• Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Dave, the Colorado 400t DOES have a worldwide base map built into it according the this page on the Garmin site.

That is pretty cool.

I do own a paper Ordinance Survey map of Great Britain at 1:625,000 which I think will be helpful driving in Wales.

Yah, but the detail, even on the coast is horrendous. It's not much of a base to work from, IMO. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yah, but the detail, even on the coast is horrendous. It's not much of a base to work from, IMO. :D
    You're still trying to talk yourself into buying that map for your gps receiver, aren't you? lol3.gif
  • Options
    waveneymanwaveneyman Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Some useful info maybe...
    Jumping in late but I do Scotland on a regular basis in both winter and summer.

Bugs ...or midges as they call them here. There are times when the ground comes up to bite you in clouds as you walk by. you can't avoid them by running away or covering up. Those in the know use Avon Cosmetics Skin Soothing Balm - a lot of it. It really works where most of the proprietary bug sprays are meat and potatoes to Scottish midges. It's not particularly pleasant but the bugs don't like it and since everybody smells the same it's ok. This and a mosquito veil will spare you the worst and elastic around sleaves and trouser legs will mop up the rest. It's war so be prepared if you are the type that bugs go for.

You want the best photo opportunities? then it's inevitable that you go off the beaten track. A good pair of high-sided waterproof hiking boots will spare you miles of plodding wet discomfort. Forget solid earth Utah, Scotland is mounds of peat bog with the odd rock to stand on. You can step 1 foot off a path and be neck deep in a second. Andy has the right idea..Ziplock all your equipment when walking, it's the only safe solution. Wellingtons will not cut it I'm afraid - too big a risk of twisted ankles on mountain terrain besides being godawful uncomfortable in warm weather. Synthetic material boots dry much quicker than leather and are lighter too.

Light levels are very low at the best times of day so a tripod is my constant companion. I wrap my carbon fibre Manfrotto in polystyrene and bubble wrap and tape the whole thing up in duck tape(which can come in handy at other times too) when flying. I ship the head in my regular luggage and have never had a problem with check in.

GPS is ok on Mull but phones will work only very occasionally. Your hotel has decent broadband but the connection to the mainland means it's a bit unreliable at times.

Golden Eagles, Ospreys and Buzzards are hard to miss so 400mm is a good start.

Some roads on Mull - especially down between Torrans and Fionnphort are very narrow with nowhere to park so walking is the only way to see this staggeringly beautiful wooded coastline. Even driving can take you an hour to do the last 20 miles. You get nowhere very fast and honestly you won't want to anyway. Sunrise and sunset on Iona are ....well, you will see for yourselves - it's worth camping out for on a fine night which is only about 5 hours of semi darkness anyway mid summer

Surf can be good in Calgary Bay; do go swimming, it's warmer and more exhilarating than you can imagine.

Do a Friday/Saturday evening in Tobermory - there's loads of live traditional music(mainly for the tourists) but the whisky flows and flows and flows.... Selenium tablets from the health food store will remove the horrendous hangovers that ensue... along with a good fried breakfast and the aforementioned swim rolleyes1.gif

if you are planning to see a bit more of the UK's delights before/after Mull, my advice would be to tone down your itinerary. The UK is small but there is more variation in 10 miles of Wales than 1000 anywhere else. If you are coming in to Holyhead on Anglesy from Eire, you have the Lleyn peninsular and Snowdonia within a few miles - I couldn't do it justice in 2 months never mind two days. Traffic can really slow down travel here. Only last week I dropped into Liverpool and drove straight down to the dockland area from the M6 motorway. Total distance about 35 miles. Stayed 2hours taking shots with a friend then back to the M6 - time taken, nearly 6 hours!
    Yes you can do pretty much all the suggested route but it will be no fun, exhausting and very little photography. It would frustrate the hell out of me. ymmv

You guys will have a blast - no problem. Wish I could be there to share it but I've only just got backmwink.gif

waveney
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2008
    Thanks, waveneyman!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Awesome advice, thank you!

I have been looking for average conditions in that part of Scotland for mid-May and not turning up much for some reason. Any ballpark hints? I can take either Celsius or Fahrenheit. lol3.gif

I'm also not finding the balm you mentioned this side of the pond. Is this it?
  • Options
    waveneymanwaveneyman Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    hi schmoo
    Yup, that looks like the one, tho' who knows whether the formulation is the same this side of the pond? Generally the bugs are a lesser problem in May but when last I went then, I got well and truly done over - it had been an exceptionally warm month so they got up early... and I was not prepared rolleyes1.gif

Temps are generally in the 55 - 65F region by day, 35 - 45F at night and by late May the sun sets around 9.00pm with about 2 hours of twilight either side of sunset/sunrise and only a very short darkness in between. You can still get frosts at night tho. Winds will be variable and rapid spectacular weather changes are the order of the day... sort of made for photography thumb.gif . You will still need warm clothing in May but then given the way the weather goes these days it could be the opposite - but that's what Scotland is all about. Last year on Skye I had 64deg on the 5th of March with warm balmy nights headscratch.gif

regards

waveney
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    gubbs wrote:
    As much as I'd love to, I can't make Scotland, but if your interested I'd be keen to meet up / help out for some or all of Swansea, Cardiff, Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge. I'd strongly recommend that you make some time for West Wales, fantastic coastline and plenty of history.

I also drive with a stick on the correct side of the road. Andy and Gus may vouch for my driving capabilities :D

Hey gubbs, not sure if pathfinder has been in touch, but we've got our tickets and travel arrangmenets all set and will be following the Dublin > Holyhead > Aberystwyth > Swansea > Cardiff > Bath > Salisbury > Manchester > Windermere > Glasgow route I'd outlined. You're welcome to meet up with us at any portion! Send either of us a PM if you're still interested. :D
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    The more the merrier, Jon!!clap.gif

Kerry is going to keep us very busy, I think.

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Andy Packs
    * Canon 1Ds Mark III
    * RRS Plate, BH-55 Ball Head, Pano Gear
    * Gitzo 2530 CF Tripod
    * Canon Remote and Intervalometer
    * Canon 24mm TS/E
    * Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    * Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    * Hoods for lenses
    * 10-stop Neutral Density Filter
    * Circular Polarizing Filter
    * 2-stop Graduated ND Filter
    * 2x4gb Extreme IV CF cards
    * 2x4gb Sandisk Ultra Plus SD cards
    * 9 gigs assorted CF & SDs
    * Macbook Pro 15" lappy
    * Card reader
    * Chargers for Canon camera batteries
    * Hand flashlight (Torch!)
    * Head flashlight (Thanks Gus!)
    * UK Power adapters (x3)
    * Cleaning supplies, blower, lens cloth, etc
    * Canon SD-870 P&S
    * Sigg Water Bottle
    * Boots
    * Raingear

Most all of what I use in the field fits in my Crumpler Farmer's Double backpack. I carry this on the plane with me.