Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    george-1george-1 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    "Feature Gallery" request
    I like to post my 4 latest galleries as the featured galleries on my home page.

The way it is now, to add a new gallery to the #1 position and move the others down a slot has to be done manually. I open the #3 gallery, feature it in the #4 slot, then open the #2 gallery, feature it in the #3 slot, do the same for the #1 gallery, then I can feature the new gallery in the #1 slot.

It would be much easier if there was a way to feature the new gallery in the #1 slot and have that automagically move the old #1 to #2, #2 to #3, ## to #4, and dropping the old #4 from the feature slot.

Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    mpdehaanmpdehaan Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    More suggestions
    Reposting some ideas in the common thread...

1 -- It would be nice to able to associate a photo with more than one community -- for instance, Digital Grin seems reasonably active, but North Carolina is very small, and chosing NC limits exposure.

2 -- The "Customize this album" link is not right clickable, so if I want to edit multiple albums in multiple tabs I cannot do it. In general, enabling tab usage across the board would make editing and organization a lot easier IMHO.

3 -- Provide a way to view RSS feeds of subscribed photographers through the Smugmug interface.

It would be nice to be able to subscribe to an RSS feed of "interesting" photographers in Smugmug, and be able to browse recent photos of the combined group of subscribed photographers as they come in.

This could be like a very lightweight version of the Flickr contact system, without the need to expose the list of photographers someone subscribes to.

While this can clearly be done with the present RSS system, it involves a lot of clicking and is a bit of an inconvience -- plus a system that relies on an external RSS reader can't take advantage of the superior smugmug browsing experience.

4 -- Galleries should not take on the community theme

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=83654

I'll post to this thread next time instead of starting new topics. Thanks!
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    george-1 wrote:
    I like to post my 4 latest galleries as the featured galleries on my home page.

The way it is now, to add a new gallery to the #1 position and move the others down a slot has to be done manually. I open the #3 gallery, feature it in the #4 slot, then open the #2 gallery, feature it in the #3 slot, do the same for the #1 gallery, then I can feature the new gallery in the #1 slot.

It would be much easier if there was a way to feature the new gallery in the #1 slot and have that automagically move the old #1 to #2, #2 to #3, ## to #4, and dropping the old #4 from the feature slot.

Thanks for listening.

Yeah it'd be nice (and so easy) for SmugMug to provide a "Recent Galleries" widget for the home page. Something like this, except theirs wouldn't require Javascript hacks and it would include gallery descriptions. :-P
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Can Lightbox please be closed with the Esc key?
    Please? The "x" key is pretty unintuitive.

I understand there's a way to hack my own Javascript listeners. C'mon though,
    I want this for *all* SmugMug galleries that I may be browsing, not just mine.

Thanks.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Please? The "x" key is pretty unintuitive.

I understand there's a way to hack my own Javascript listeners. C'mon though,
    I want this for *all* SmugMug galleries that I may be browsing, not just mine.

Thanks.
    I agree, the x is very small. Maybe a very big X or change it to something
    like "return to gallery". It 's a pita in the video galleries not being able to click
    on the QT video to close like every other gallery.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Pursuit wrote:
    I'm a SmugMug newbie, so pardon my ignorance if it becomes too obvious.

My categories and subcategories have random thumbnails next to them, which I really like as it reminds me of pictures I've taken and forgetten about. But when I want to actually look at a picture in the thumbnail, it can be impossible to find (e.g somewhere in 8 subcategories, with 6 large galleries a piece).

Is there currently any way to jump directly to a picture as seen in a thumbnail? If not, I'd like to add this as a feature request.

As for the details, I actually have no idea what the UI front end would look like. I'm envisioning "right-click -> go to picture", but that doesn't really work in a web browser very well.

Thanks for your help.

You're a newbie, but that's a request I made when I was a newbie in 2004. :-}

More recently, I was thinking something similiar to you, right-clicking, or having a delayed pop-up menu over the picture that allowed people to Go to Picture.

I was even thinking it would be possible to hack something using JavaScript and CSS, but that now seems unlikely since recent security concerns will probably make it increasingly difficult if not impossible to deduce the gallery of a random image from just its ID (which is all that is currently available in the HTML.)

Which means it'll end up at the bottom of the pile of bug fixes and feature requests that SmugMug's dedicated (but meager) staff has in front of them. *Sigh*
  • Options
    PursuitPursuit Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    More recently, I was thinking something similiar to you, right-clicking, or having a delayed pop-up menu over the picture that allowed people to Go to Picture.
    In terms of UI, I actually think the easiest (that is, most likely to be correctly used by my mother) method would be to have the picture link to the actual picture (within its gallery) and the text link to the first page of the gallery/subcategory/category as appropriate.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Pursuit wrote:
    In terms of UI, I actually think the easiest (that is, most likely to be correctly used by my mother) method would be to have the picture link to the actual picture (within its gallery) and the text link to the first page of the gallery/subcategory/category as appropriate.

Yeah, that was my original proposal.

Unfortunately expectations differ. I told Baldy I'd do the "mom test", and she expected that clicking on the image would take you to the image within the gallery *and* that it'd be the first image. This is certainly do-able, but does demonstrate that expectations of "normal" users may differ from "power" users.

I expectations get even more complicated when you're talking about featured photos next to categories.
  • Options
    jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    In places like "move photos" the list of gallery name is not in ABC order...is there a way that smugmug can work on this? I have a lot of galleries and it becomes time consuming to search up and down the list to find the one I'm looking for.

Also when you are creating a gallery...on the very first page where you are picking your custom pricing the galleries that you might use for the quick pricing option are not alphabetical....neither are the "quick settings" dropdown.

Any thoughts on changes to this based on the suggestion?
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • Options
    PursuitPursuit Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 10, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Unfortunately expectations differ.
    I expectations get even more complicated when you're talking about featured photos next to categories.

I can see how that would be confusing. I can't really see a good answer. Is there currently a way to just remove the tumbnail? Maybe a CSS tweak? At least then it wouldn't be confusing.

Then ideally, there would be a way to display random picture, with deep links into their respective galleries, completely separate from the listing of available galleries/categories etc.
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I know this has been asked about before.. But, *please*... Can you **PLEASE** have coupon codes, discounts, and packages? Pretty please? That would mean I wouldn't have to create my Google Checkout hack... Please!!! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    My request is to have bulk zoom capability built into smugmug. I know there is a hack for this, but it is currently broken and manually zooming a lot of photos really sucks.

As a general comment, I think all of the popular hacks should eventually be built into smugmug. For example, the Flash slideshow JS functions should be built into smugmug and the user should just add a line or two and maybe some optional configuration parameters.

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Slideshows
    I'm not sure this has been asked before (have done a search but could not find this request specifically).

I'm using smugmug in default mode, without customization. If a visitor visits my galleries, they can click the 'slideshow' button (top right) and get a javascript slideshow. I'd like to see this being replaced by a flash slideshow. I've read a lot about shizam's slideshow but that's not what I'm looking for.

I don't like flash slideshows embedded in homepages (takes quite some time to load and you can seldom stop them or change the speed etc... as a visitor) and that's why I find the default mode best: it's up to the visitor to start a slideshow and if possible the visitor should be able to speed the show or slow it down or stop it (the way the javascript works but flash would be nicer). The flash slideshow should automatically cover the whole screen too (the same it works with the javascript slideshow).

Luc.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    I'm not sure this has been asked before (have done a search but could not find this request specifically).

I'm using smugmug in default mode, without customization. If a visitor visits my galleries, they can click the 'slideshow' button (top right) and get a javascript slideshow. I'd like to see this being replaced by a flash slideshow. I've read a lot about shizam's slideshow but that's not what I'm looking for.

I don't like flash slideshows embedded in homepages (takes quite some time to load and you can seldom stop them or change the speed etc... as a visitor) and that's why I find the default mode best: it's up to the visitor to start a slideshow and if possible the visitor should be able to speed the show or slow it down or stop it (the way the javascript works but flash would be nicer). The flash slideshow should automatically cover the whole screen too (the same it works with the javascript slideshow).

Luc.

Luc -- I believe this is currently in the works
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    I'd like to see this being replaced by a flash slideshow.

Such a great idea!
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Luc -- I believe this is currently in the works

Wooow, thanks a lot for pointing to that!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    iloveyou.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Luc
  • Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    More Pro features...when???
    I have been looking into using Smugmug for a project at my full-time job but since it is a state agency we have to go out to bid on other services that are similar. I would like to use Smugmug but I think a few things are missing that others have such as discount coupons, discount packages, reprint discounts, and volume discounts.

Is there any way to tell us that these are on the way pretty soon. They are also going to look at the 15% vs 10% fee and the lower yearly cost.

Again any ideas on when these features would be implemented would be great....

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I would like a way to filter my stats page, per catagory/sub-category would be nice.
    Right now I have hundreds of galleries and my stats page is a mile long.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Additional editing functionality in All Thumbs mode.
    A) I like the drag/drop "Arrange Mode" functionality in All Thumbs when logged in.
    B) I also like the access to "Photo Tools" functionality...BUT don't like the way the Photo Tools drop-down box clutters up the display (and worse, distorts the matrix view when there are thumbnails of sligthly different dimensions....the drop-down box overlaps other thumbs, etc.).

C) One thing I think is missing from the All Thumbs funcitonality is the ability to "hide" (or unhide) individual photos while logged in.

Suggestion(s):
    1) Instead of the oversized drop-down box beneath each thumb, replace it with a small "photo tools" icon (maybe a crossed hammer and saw) that expands to the drop down list when clicked or hovered.
    2) Add a Hide/Unhide box under each thumb...and
    3) Clearly indicate which photos are already hidden by "watermarking" the thumbnail with "Hidden" written diagonally across it, or by reducing the pixel count of the thumbnail to wash it out compared to the unhidden images.
  • Options
    jenna16jenna16 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Alternative gallery view
    I have been going back and forth between Phanfare and Smugmug. As of June I will probably be returning to smugmug full time, so here are the two things that I would really love to see - I know both of them are probably significant in the programming area.

1. an alternative gallery view. Currently in Phanfare, if you divide galleries into "sections" which I guess in SM are sub-galleries, it defaults to a different look and feel. While I know that would not work in SM as a default, as people have layer upon layer in some cases, it would be nice to have an alternative style that people could choose. So I could have my own style convention - gallery view 1 for top level, gallery view 2 for sub-level. This is hard to explain - please check out my example.
    "summer 2007" http://greenstein.phanfare.com/album/393388

2. music imported from iTunes for slideshows....kind of self-explanatory.
  • Options
    jdeferjdefer Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2008
    Geotag gallery
    1. It would be nice if it was possible to Geotag a Gallery in addition to photos.

2. Some kind of tabular list of all galleries in my account with number of pictures in each, last update, etc would be handy. It would be especially handy to be able to customize columns so you could say display Gallery name, keywords, and theme with edit checkboxes so you can modify in bulk.
  • Options
    BrianJBrianJ Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 17, 2008
    Free Image Download
    I know a Gallery (and maybe a specific image -- not sure) can be set such that a viewer can view the original file size and right click and download. This can be very awkward. Would it be possible to allow us to indicate a price of "FREE" for specific images or galleries so clients can easily download them through the shopping cart or activate a FREE DOWNLOAD option at the image level? This sure would help a bunch.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    A new user has asked me.
    Ive just noticed that one can only add their gallery to one community.
    As an example, I've got macro flowers and I would like to join both the flowers group and the macro group but can only add it to one.

Anything on the horizon for this ?

tks
  • Options
    Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Bigger Home Page Thumbnails + More Text
    I remain a huge fan of Smugmug thumb.gif and recommend it to everyone I know who wants a photo site, but there's one thing that continues to mystify me: why we don't have the option for bigger home page thumbnails and more space for gallery description text. Smugmug offers all these amazing options for gallery image sizes - I adore the new XXL sizes - yet on my photo home page (photos.jasondunn.com) the images are the incredibly tiny 100px x 67px. And the text - I can't even fit a full sentence on the home page. :cry

Every six months or so, I come in here and request the same thing: nice, big home page images, at least 200 x 134px in size (with options for bigger sizes) and more space for text - at least one reasonable-sized sentence. I can't be the only one that wants people to say "wow, these are some great pictures" when they visit our photo home pages. Right now I think anyone with a high-res monitor squints and says "Wow, I can't tell what that's a picture of...". ne_nau.gif

I know that Smugmug is constantly thinking about the user experience, and creating the best possible UI for visitors, and this is a glaring problem in an otherwise amazing user experience. And, compared to the other amazing features I've seen added over the past year (HD video!), this seems like a fairly simple feature to implement...
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Jason Dunn wrote:
    this seems like a fairly simple feature to implement...

Nothing is ever "simple" :)
    We plan on revamping the homepage, stretchy, and more - and I'd love to see bigger thumbs as an option. Thanks for the continued suggestion!
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Drop box
    Here's one...

A folder (anywhere on your HD) where anything you save/put into it, automatically uploads to a single folder on your SM site

That way rather than trying to remember which folder to save into and then which folders you have to upload from and where these are amongst the myriad of other folders on your HD you at least know this way that the stuff you were saving specifically for SM (versions) will go to your SM 'receiving' folder without you having to try to rmember where you saved each version during the day is.:rutt

- you can then move to the respective galleries on your SM site.
    ('Oh what a good idea!' I hear them all clamour)mwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Nothing is ever "simple" :)

Well, simpler than SmugIslands or implementing HD video I bet. :D
    Andy wrote:
    We plan on revamping the homepage, stretchy, and more - and I'd love to see bigger thumbs as an option. Thanks for the continued suggestion!

Great to hear it's on the radar! I'll ask again in August. thumb.gif
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    Here's one...A folder (anywhere on your HD) where anything you save/put into it, automatically uploads to a single folder on your SM site

I like that idea, but since Smugmug doesn't do client-side stuff (there's no client-side Smugmug uploader for instanc), I think this would be a request for the developers who make some of the Smugmug upload tools.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    Here's one...

A folder (anywhere on your HD) where anything you save/put into it, automatically uploads to a single folder on your SM site

That way rather than trying to remember which folder to save into and then which folders you have to upload from and where these are amongst the myriad of other folders on your HD you at least know this way that the stuff you were saving specifically for SM (versions) will go to your SM 'receiving' folder without you having to try to rmember where you saved each version during the day is.:rutt

- you can then move to the respective galleries on your SM site.
    ('Oh what a good idea!' I hear them all clamour)mwink.gif
    The mac uploader MacDaddy works very much like that, and also Komodo Drop, you can try that thumb.gif

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Jason Dunn wrote:
    (there's no client-side Smugmug uploader for instanc),

MacDaddy
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/macs

Send to SmugMug
    Star Explorer
    SmugBrowser
    SmugDav