Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    The mac uploader MacDaddy works very much like that, and also Komodo Drop, you can try that thumb.gif

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps

kewl - thanksthumb.gif

Oooh I thay - there'th Lightroom plug in - how werrie kewl ith that?:D
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Okay...here goes my wish list.

Since I upgraded to Pro I want more product offerings.

Packages. For example what my friends up at Brightroom offer for events.

A card creator. Actually a couple of card creators.
    >>> 4x8 lustre single side photo card with envelopes (11 for every 10 prints please)

Is there a market for this? I would think that 10 million 4x8 christmas cards for Sears Portrait Studios is a good indicator. EZ sells these too.

>>> 5x7 folded greeting card. Sold in packs of 10 or 20. A big lab I worked for outsourced these to a firm that ran them on an Indigo. EZ offers this.
  • Options
    SnOwMaN25SnOwMaN25 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 20, 2008
    feature a sub-category
    I would like to feature a sub-category. Can you help me with that?
  • Options
    HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    More BreadCrumb control
    Morning,

The BreadCrumbs are great. But I wish to have some more control over them. Today you can say they should be shown or not. I want to be able to say which back level should be shown. So when I send a link to a Galary the viewer may for example only be able to go back to sub-category or to category level. This would allow me to separate areas of interest and avoid people walking away too far. Main benefit is for the users that with this feature they wouldn't get lost as easy as they will today.

Also, the BreadCrumbs you see when you get to a Gallery from a ShareGroup should get you back to this Sharegroup ... this would be more intuitive and again avoid users to get away and lost.

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    Make EXIF information more easily available
    Morning,

The EXIF information is available, it can be seen in the Photo Information window. I very much would like to control and display that info ... especially the date found in the Date Time Original field. This so I can show when a photo was taken.

So my request is to surface EXIF items in such a way that I can display them together with a photo

Regards, Harald
    ==================
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    Better User Interface

Morning,

Part of the User Interface in SmugMug is a bit old fashion. In general I would like to see more drag and drop and pulldown lists and things that are more intuitive. For example, when you want to move a photo to another Gallary you get a long list of Galleries and need to known on your own which category and subcategory they belong to. That is not user friendly.

I could probably write a long story of the areas I like and those I don't like but for the moment I prefer to say "room for improvement".

Regards, Harald
    ==================
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    Synchronising between PC and SmugMug
    Morning,

I store all my original photos on my harddisk on my PC. From there I upload to SmugMug to share it with people. Many of my photoes are old slides so they are scanned onto my harddisk. Quite often I need to adjust EXIF data (like Caption and Date Taken) because I have found new information.

What I need is a simple way to synchronise the tags in my JPEG file with what is on SmugMug. Usually I have no change to the photo but to the other information. And it is a waste of time (and other resources) to re-upload the whole JPEG-photo.

Not sure if this is a request against SmugMug or for a new Uploader. But a synchronise feature between PC and SmugMug would be excellent.

Regards, Harald
    ==================
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Theme examples
    For the Smugmug theme examples page in each theme gallery can screen
    shots be added as photos for the different type pages and styles using this
    theme? Only one example is shown and can look completely different
    elsewhere.

homepage
    gallery smugmug style
    gallery smugmug small style
    gallery traditional style
    gallery allthumbs style
    gallery filmstrip style
    gallery journal style
    gallery singleImage style
    gallery critique style
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Vic81Vic81 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 23, 2008
    Picture Packages
    Hey Everyone,

Anyone heard on the status of adding packages to SmugMug? This is one feature that I really miss from Photoreflect.

thanks,

Vic81
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    In the LR SM uploader plug-in the choice of galleries is so much better than the SM long list simply because it puts in the category first - simple;-)

e.g Instead of

Uncle Bert
    Auntie Jean
    Cousins

it has

Family - Uncle Bert
    Family - Auntie Jean
    Family - Cousins

which means that it is much easier to narrow down te group heading and then find te specific gallery

Woulsn't that be easier to implement tan worrying about how to get the list to sort itself alphabetically?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    How long have I been using SM? Two years now.
    I STILL can't easily find half the controls I want.
    E.g I just wanted to add a sub category to a gallery

I have done it before... but how, I looked in all the usual places .. couldn't find it

This happens everytime I want to do something I haven't jusrt already done very recently. Things are just not in an intuitive order

I know I have to go off and read the FAQs, but it's so time consuming, am I the only one that finds the controls hard to find?

BTW:The obvious place to my mind for this one is under gallery tools drop down

EDIT: found it finally:rutt
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    How long have I been using SM? Two years now.
    I STILL can't easily find half the controls I want.

Yeah it's pretty lame, and we know it. It's a high priority for our sorcery team, to make some improvements in this area.

Sorry we foiled you again, Simon!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Sorry we foiled you again, Simon!

not difficult truemwink.gif but you know, you kinda get used to a Mac way of working with things, everythings where you expect it to be, I mean do you know I never even ned to use 'find' or spotlight' more than once a month? I just know where to find things. So it's one hell of a contrast trying to set things up on SM. It's great, until you want to make chages or do something you haven't done for a while, it may be a symptom of a good thing, in that tere is lots you can do, but certainly if it can be subject to a little reorgainasation , 'twood be a huge relief. It is the one really frustrating area.
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    happy-imphappy-imp Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Built-in 'pretty urls'
    With all the recent discussion on the new URLs and how to handle private/unlisted/unlinked/etc types of galleries I may have missed an answer to this question already, but here goes:

Is there any chance of us being able to get 'pretty url' redirecting? It is something I believe I could do in the past with wordpress, and there are lots of blogs that support it. It would be SO NICE to be able to make gallery links that looked like this:
    http://user.smugmug.com/CATEGORY/subCATEGORY/CUSTOMNAME
    (http://me.smugmug.com/Weddings/Reception/SmithandJones

http://user.smugmug.com/YEAR/MONTH/CUSTOMNAME
    (http://me.smugmug.com/2008/01/KarateTournament

As I understand this sort of thing, it should be possible to have all of these:
    wonky guid-based gallery ID -- for privacy
    Category/Subcategory based (example #1)
    date-based (example #2)

And, let me say that the current Vanity URL solution is not really that great. First off, it is clunky and requires futzing with script for every new gallery. That means I run the risk of accidentally breaking it all every time, should I forget a semi-colon or something. Also, it only redirects, and the vanity name doesn't persist in the url bar. It changes to the ugly name. It would be far better if that name persisted.

Also, it would be nice if we could just type in (for example):
    http://me.smugmug.com/2008
    and see all my listed 2008 galleries...
    or
    http://me.smugmug.com/2008/02
    to see all my february 2008 galleries...
    You get the idea?

I know you guys are working on getting the UI under control, and I can't wait. But, just want to say that for me the URL issues are at least as big of a hassle.

If I'm missing ways of doing this already then please let me know, but I certainly haven't seen them.

Thanks SmugMuggers!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    not difficult truemwink.gif but you know, you kinda get used to a Mac way of working with things, everythings where you expect it to be

Have you tried DevBobo's SmugMug Mac Daddy Uploader? For me it is easier than the web interface. Of course your mileage and usage may vary.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Video Image Request
    Now that we can host videos, is it possible to have a thumbnail generated for linking/embedding purposes that has the play icon overlaid on it? I can do it manually, but figure never hurts to ask.:D
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    pony2gopony2go Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Add Photos to private gallery
    Andy,

I have a private gallery for photographers in another state. I do not want to give them my log in and password for the entire site but would like for them, when they are logged in to the private gallery, to be able to upload and download pics as needed. I know they can download at this point but I am wondering about the upload. Is there a way to do this?
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    UI thoughts/suggestions/ideas...
    Please make subcategories show up by default like new galleries that are empty with, but give the sub category a show/hide button

Put subcategory immediately under category (in same panel) in 'customise gallery'

Add a 'create sub category' link in drop down to the 'subcategory' in 'customise gallery' where there is currently only 'none' or list

rename conrol panel to 'master conrtol panel'

put ALL gallery tools at first level of gallery (as well)- where it just has customise'

Set 'are you sure?' message on deleting subgategories

set customise gallery panels as coloured tabs just like control panel
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2008
    FFT (Food for thought)
    ON a POTN SM discussion thread the question has arisen about Amazon S3 back up services (+Mozy) and whether SM should provide a full back up service.

I have seen the same points raised here on DG (and elsewhere) about RAW files etc back up

This suggests to me that whilst it may not be part of SMs remit to offer back up services per se, there is the demand for it so..might it not be worth SM considring even as an additional add on service?

Befor you discard it out of hand , I mean to say not as part of te SM pics hosting packages, but as an Amazon S£ reselleer so to speak.

WHY recreate the wheel?: because people trust SM, and more importantly they are familair with SM, Tis carries wheight because someone like myself for example would not feel confident setting up an Amazon S3 account, whereas I would feel safe doing it through SM knowing SM customer support was there for me

From my POV it already seems like SM are offering additional services now that they have encompassed Video (not of any interest to me) even though tis is priced within their current model

AS I say just FFTmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Backup Settings on Customize Page
    One of the first things that most people do before fooling around with the Customization Page is to backup all the data on the page. Those that do not usually suffer the consequences later on. This is also a time consuming task.

Option 1: How about a button, on the page (see example), that will make that page backup the data on your local computer. A simple text file of all of the parameters that are shown on the page would probably be okay.

261525720_5DJVb-S-1.png

Option 2: Using the same button concept, have one that allows you to backup the page and another button to restore the page from a previous configuration. This would allow you to save the changes you are working on, but don't have time to complete in that session. You can always restore your site to a previously known working condition so it is not left in an incomplete state.

Well, you all get the idea.... Thanks
    http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"
  • Options
    afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    I need to ditto this one! Blogger has this and it is extremely helpful when experimenting!
    BELphotos wrote:
    Option 2: Using the same button concept, have one that allows you to backup the page and another button to restore the page from a previous configuration. This would allow you to save the changes you are working on, but don't have time to complete in that session. You can always restore your site to a previously known working condition so it is not left in an incomplete state.
  • Options
    SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    "Save Photo" stats
    I often shoot church events making my original digital files available for free download. It would be great if I could look on the monthly stats page and see how many (and which) files have been downloaded through that method.

Is there a way to track the information that I just haven't discovered?

Thanks,

James
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    SaltFork wrote:
    I often shoot church events making my original digital files available for free download. It would be great if I could look on the monthly stats page and see how many (and which) files have been downloaded through that method.

Is there a way to track the information that I just haven't discovered?

Thanks,

James
    Turn off original files and charge 1cent for each download.

Otherwise, no.
  • Options
    BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    One Too Many Ways To Set Themes
    As far as I know there are two ways to set the THEMES for your website. I will try to demonstrate why I believe this is one too many ways to perform task.

In the first screen shot (THEMES 01) you see "Themes:" as the last item in the list under Organize & Customize. I'l bet that is where all the newbies go on the first attempt at making a change once they get their feet wet. A simple change of wording would help in this one spot.

262078020_Zc2qJ-S.jpg

Change "Themes: allow you..." to "Create New Themes: allows you..."

I know what you are going to say... "people should read the text... ". You know and I know that people today only scan, they don't read in the true sense of the word anymore. They only see what they want or need to see.

On this same screen shot (THEMES 01) there is a button named "THEMES" on the bottom of the CUSTOMIZE plate. It says, "apply this to all pages that don't have one or are set to 'Default'. I don't believe that this button is doing what it is advertising. I have attempted to use it to set my themes, however it only changes certain pages.

Upon investigation, the pages it wasn't setting did have the following conditions: Appearance = Custom, and Community = None. The only two factors, that I know of, that would prevent a theme from being changed.

However, setting the theme from here to mimic the other THEMES button, shown in screen shot (THEMES 03) seems to correct the errant pages and coaxes them back into submission.

262078021_uFQLZ-S.jpg

262078054_xaDwZ-S.jpg

There is another factor to be considered here. The THEMES button as shown in THEMES 02, does not have a SAVE or PREVIEWING selection as does the THEMES button shown on THEMES 04. This is the theme button that seemed to work for me and changed "all pages" to the the selected theme.

262078045_kM48o-S.jpg

I am not a programming expert; however, it seems that the button on THEMES 01 and 02 is either broken or a leftover from a previous release. In any event, I believe the SmugMug community would be best served by having only one place to select and confirm a theme change.

Thanks for listening.
    http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    BELphotos wrote:

I know what you are going to say... "people should read the text... ". You know and I know that people today only scan, they don't read in the true sense of the word anymore. They only see what they want or need to see.

There may be another reason for this, certainly one that affects me: once I start looking at a screen my concentration goes to pot.

Seriously. I noticed it the first time I started using a computer but kinda got used to it, bit I still do find it incredibly hard to cpncentrate on what I set out to do when staring at a compooter screenne_nau.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    1- When "saving settings below as", we should be able to save it as an existing name so earlier galleries under those settings would change as well.

2- In the customization field, why have "watermark: yes or no" and then another field for the watermark's name. Why not just add a "none" option in that field?

3- The "hide owner", it says "hide your name, navigation, and look & feel?". What does that mean? It's not clear at all. I've tried both and didn't see any change. EDIT: Never mind, I just found out.

4- Name settings for gallery price instead of the gallery names.

5- No pre-made category names. That caused me a few problems.

6- Some sort of tool bar when logged with direct acess to customization page and some settings. That tool bar could have a "colors" button and when clicking on it, we'd see the colors for everything in the page and a small field to change it. Another "hide or show" button. Another option would be to save the current settings on that page to a name and all pages under that name would change.

7- A free download option in the cart (or on page) so friends and family can download in bulk without going through the whole system.

8- Lightbox for single image in journal style. Also easy way to block single-image view.

9- More control over image size in journal style, from thumbnail to original.
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    10- A ready-made "last added" gallery.

11- Cutomization of date gallery (haven't looked much into that yet).

12- Html for category name, like gallery names.

13- Photos in multiple galleries

14- A new slogan: Smugmug, Kicks ass, pains the butt.

15- Hair transplant program for all the hair pulling.
  • Options
    Tomkirk23Tomkirk23 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    (1) Real Synchronization (2) Better Non-Unique Album support (3) Email customization
    Hi -

(1) My perfect SmugMug world would include "real" 2-way synchronization between local folders and SmugMug category/subcategory/albums of photos and associated captions. This sync would recognize both filenames and the modified date of files and synchronize accordingly. I would not have to remember what changes I made. I would not have to remember to initiate an upload or a download. It would run in a hands-off manner on a schedule that I would configure.

(2) I would also like better support within SmugMug for those users like me who like to use non-unique Album/Gallery names.

For instance, I cannot use the basic SmugMug Move Photo function because all Albums are presented in a long list WITHOUT associated Category/Sub-Category. Since I cannot move photos, I delete them and re-upload them.

(3) I would like the ability to customize the "send email" interface. As I understand (perhaps wrongly), if my user chooses to send an email it requires that he navigate Smugmug-logo screens that I cannot customize. I would like to see a simplified "send email" without address book more like the "add comment" interface (no need to leave to go to another screen)....very simple like Craigslist, etc.

Thanks,

Tom Kirkpatrick
    kirkpatrick.smugmug.com
    yoursbydesign.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ms9ms9 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Another idea: one top-level password for an entire site
    so there was this discussion going around about having category passwords, and i see now that there is an easy workaround for the time being.

i was actually thinking about going even one level higher, though. i had an idea of smugmug allowing us to to set one global top-level password for a whole site. that way my visitors don't have to type a password (even if i make it the same one) for every category i have, too.

BUT guess what? i just did a test and this same workaround that works for categories works *across* categories, too... great!

--ms9
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    ms9 wrote:
    so there was this discussion going around about having category passwords, and i see now that there is an easy workaround for the time being.

i was actually thinking about going even one level higher, though. i had an idea of smugmug allowing us to to set one global top-level password for a whole site. that way my visitors don't have to type a password (even if i make it the same one) for every category i have, too.

BUT guess what? i just did a test and this same workaround that works for categories works *across* categories, too... great!

--ms9

Smugmug already has a feature for a single password your whole site. Go to Control Panel/Settings/passwords change/Viewing password. Here's the help page on that feature.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
This discussion has been closed.