Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    ms9ms9 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    thx, i didn't know about that feature. when i was looking around, i even saw that "passwords" link but thought it was just for my account password, so never clicked into it.

anyway, interestingly enough, as it turns out, i wanted to keep at least one gallery public, too, so i will go my newfound route anyway :).
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    SmugMug MacUploader
    This request is for a feature in the SmugMug MacUploader. It would be great to have a way to "update galleries". There are times when I'm uploading images and want to get the next gallery I'm going to need set up in SmugMug. However, then when I go back to the MacUploader, that gallery is not listed. I have to log out and log back in to be able to see the new galleries. It would be great to just have an item in one of the menus to "update galleries"

Also, with watermarking, it would be nice to be able to set a custom watermark as a default. If I create a gallery using MacUpoader I can choose to watermark images, but I can not choose custom watermarks to place on the images. If we were able to set a default watermark through smugmug and just be able to choose "default watermark" through the uploader, that would be great. As is, if I create a gallery through the uploader I still have to go into the gallery customization to change the watermark.

Ok, figure I might as well mention them all......it would be great to set pricing through the uploader as well. Again, maybe be able to set a "default" price list and choose it through the uploader. As is, I set them to NOT be printable until I can go back in and change the pricing. Would LOVE to be able to do it all in one step.

If any of these things ARE available and I'm just missing them, somebody please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for listening to the requests....
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    alixmilesalixmiles Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    pricing in alphabetical order?
    Hey guys,
    I looked but could not find any info on this. When I create a new gallery and use the pull downs to watermark and price....I would like the pricing to be in alphabetical order. Can this be done or will this be a feature request?

Thanks
    Barry
    www.lawsonimages.com

Will trade 2 crisp examples of the "Kit Lens" for a 400mm 2.8
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    alixmiles wrote:
    Hey guys,
    I looked but could not find any info on this. When I create a new gallery and use the pull downs to watermark and price....I would like the pricing to be in alphabetical order. Can this be done or will this be a feature request?

Thanks
    Barry
    In the meantime, you can tap the letter of the alphabet you want when the drop down is open, and you'll go to those letters :) keep tapping for more of the same.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    In the meantime, you can tap the letter of the alphabet you want when the drop down is open, and you'll go to those letters :) keep tapping for more of the same.

Thanks Andy
    www.lawsonimages.com

• Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    alixmiles wrote:
    Thanks Andy

Tried it Andy....works great. The other would still be nice but not necessary.

Thanks
    Barry
    www.lawsonimages.com

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    How many Ups and Downs
    Searched this thread to find if anyone else had ever requested this.

I'd like to be able to find out how many "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" clicks a photo in my gallery has received. Maybe I'm just missing it on the stats details page?

Thanks!
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    glasbergenglasbergen Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Searched this thread to find if anyone else had ever requested this.

I'd like to be able to find out how many "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" clicks a photo in my gallery has received. Maybe I'm just missing it on the stats details page?

I'd like to know this as well. I don't think it's possible right now.
  • Options
    battsbatts Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    full album hide option
    To add to the already mentioned talks I found on a search of requests, all of the bulk hide photo functions sound great.
    It would be great if there could be a "complete album hide", some have mentioned a shoebox or shadow type setup, but a complete album hide, that only shows up if you login to your account would be great. not some album that has all the photos hidden in it.
    This would be a great place to put personal photos, home inventory photos for insurance reasons, or other photos you want to store in a secure place, or backup, not on your computer.
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Bulk Settings for Password Protected Galleries
    I would like to re-request a visible icon (like a padlock) for galleries in the bulk settings view. My original post was here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=680199&postcount=106

To me, it seems like a good, easy, and beneficial change. I don't believe my previous post received a reply, so I thought I'd send it through the proper channels again. Thanks for considering.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    mlougeemlougee Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Voting on photographs, but within a closed group/island
    I've asked about this before, but perhaps a year ago, and time changes all software (at least all *good* software, like Smug!)...

For those who are using Smug as a sharing tool *for a specific group of people* (a family, a scout group, a 4-H group, a classroom or school, etc etc), it would be great to allow only the members of that group to vote on their favorite photos from within the group's uploaded photographs. Obviously, only the members of the group would be able to view the votes on their photos.

Related, maybe, would be the notion of allowing the *ranking* of a set of photos, which would let a group take part in some easy "judging" of a set of photos, in which the photos with the highest total of combined ranks would be the "winner." American Idol for photos? :D
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Customized Error 404 page. Errors currently redirect to the Smugmug page. I thought the point of having a Pro account was to remove any reference to Smugmug.
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Erick L wrote:
    Customized Error 404 page. Errors currently redirect to the Smugmug page. I thought the point of having a Pro account was to remove any reference to Smugmug.
    I'd like to second this suggestion.. That'd be great! Not even a 404; just redirect to the homepage, or something similar..

David
  • Options
    cip@gci.netcip@gci.net Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Date Paid in the spreedsheet
    I was wondering if it is possible to add to the downloadable csv file? You see I am doing my taxes for this year. I had sales late in Dec that I did not recieve payment for until Jan. Yes I know thoses sales were not included in the 1099, however I would like to track the sales for this year and last year so I can estimate my taxes in the future. So is it possible to somehow include when payment was made to us just the month and year would be fine. This is the only way to track smugmug dales and I really need to do some trackiing. Thank You for your time.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    Consider the request added, thanks!
  • Options
    stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    I would like 'Add to Sharegroup' added to the Gallery Tools droplist. Having created a nice new gallery it would be nice to quickly add it to a sharegroup without having to close the Gallery, switch to 'Control Panel - Sharegroups' and then try to find the new gallery in a sea of gallery thumbnails!

Sharegroups are greatly under-rated IMHO . . . probably because it is a bit of an effort to actually add galleries to them.
  • Options
    UmbrisUmbris Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Document Titles and Category Descriptions
    I was wondering if Smugmug has any plans, within the next six months, to allow pro subscribers to control document titles at a category and gallery level. This is important for SEO to those of us who do more than one type of photography. If you view my site, you can see the messy work around that I've used. Unfortunately, Google sees most of my pages as having virtually the same content.

Also, are there plans to add descriptions (and meta decriptions) for categories and sub-categories? I'm using the CSS/Javascript workaround that displays a description on a category page. Unfortunately, Google then sees all of my pages as having descriptions from all of my categories.

I've been very happy with my Smugmug's Pro account in the six months that I have had it, but because of my marketing needs, I find that I am quickly outgrowing it.

Thanks in advance.
    Alan

But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be.
    - John Keating

http://umbris.com
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    Umbris wrote:
    I was wondering if Smugmug has any plans, within the next six months, to allow pro subscribers to control document titles at a category and gallery level.
    Thanks for the Feature Request!
  • Options
    UmbrisUmbris Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Already requested?
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the Feature Request!
    eek7.gifIf I'm not mistaken, I think these features have been requested in the past. For example, here

That is why I was asking if there was any plan to implement either or both of the features. If the answer is "no," or "maybe but we won't talk about it," that's fine. I would just like to know something so that I can plan accordingly.
    Alan

But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be.
    - John Keating

http://umbris.com
  • Options
    scottkwestscottkwest Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    animated thumbnails
    I recently uploaded my first animated gif image, it's here:
    http://www.scottwestphotography.com/gallery/4364582_EHsb2#262012277

This worked great, but the thumbnail isn't animated, nor does it indicate that the image is animated. It would be really cool if it was animated too.

While I'm asking... mwink.gif It also doesn't animate in the slideshow.
  • Options
    stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Hide The Breadcrumb option?
    Option to hide the 'breadcrumb'? This is the answer.

We all know that Sharegroups are flawed in that people (naturally) start clicking the breadcrumb and get stuck.

We all know that Sharegroups are flawed in that you cant add new galleries and see them automatically drop into your existing Sharegroups (you need to carry out the additional step of adding them manually).

We all know that users get terribly confused between site-wide password, gallery password, unlisted galleries, sharegroups etc.

I think the solution is very simple. HIDE THE BREADCRUMB.

Then I can give my sister the url to my 'Family' pics and she will not be able to try to click back up the tree.
    I can give a Client the url to my 'Project 1' and that is all they will get.
    I can give friends the url to 'Fishing' pics and that is all they will get.

The beauty is that when new galleries are added to say 'Family' then they are visible straight away (no need to manually 'add' them to a Sharegroup as currently).

I can still set up Sharegroups for more specific needs, but because the breadcrumb is hidden then the person browing the sharegroup cant get 'lost'.

Surely this is easy to implement?

EDIT : A more elegant variation would be to just hide the breadcrumb tree ABOVE the starting point ie. only show the current position and the stuff below.
    MYSITE>Family>Holiday Pics would display as Family>Holiday Pics
    MYSITE>Client 1>Confidential Pics would display as Client 1>Confidential Pics

In that way, each user of your site cannot browse back up the tree. No need for passworded galleries.
    Seems too easy to be true.
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Zenfolio allows users who buy photos to add frames and other up-sell items at the time they order a print. I think this is a great way to increase profits (for both SM and Pros). Any chance of adding this type of 'upsell' opportunity? Order a print and have the site offer a variety of frames and mattes?

Also, perhaps some sort of suggestive sales techniques.. Like when you add an 8x12 of the photo, offer to sell some wallets to "share" for only $x.00 more! (with a checkbox to add it). Use your internal stats to figure out what items are sold together most often and use it to boost sales.

If it's good enough for McDonalds (Would you like fries with that?), surely it's good enough for SM lol3.gif
  • Options
    tsporetspore Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    here is my 3 features requests.
    First I really love smugmug, in fact I have been a promoting it for a long time at my site. Here is my "requests"
    I shoot about 3-4 weddings a year, a few couples shoots, and some other stuff when I have time, but basically, I am a control freak, so my request would be to be able to self fulfill print orders, instead of sending them out. Usually before a client gets prints I do 3 or so runs before I am happy.

Secondly, I would really like to be able to upload RAW files for an archive, I don't want to upload unedited raw files to be displayed publicly, but just to have them "backed up" As if I am not neurotic about backing up already.

next a year ago their was mention about stock image service, so I would love to see that.

Ok I understand Raw files - use a lot of extra storage space, secondly self-fulfilled image printing could take money out of Smugmug's pockets.... So all in all I would see how a pro account with these features could cost more.

Ok I have more ideas, but that is the start to my wish list. If I could do self fulfilled orders I would be a happy camper. (And not having to do the crazy google checkout, something a bit simpler, having to set up google check out for 250 images is to much work)
  • Options
    rickbradrickbrad Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Shopping Cart/Calling up Past Orders Suggestion
    [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]Does anyone like the possibility of being able to easily view and recall previous orders to the shopping cart?[/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif] [/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]This would be especially helpful, because when you order a set of prints, you never know which will be the most popular among friends and family. So if all the good ones disappear, you could call back up the order into the cart and edit the contents.[/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]I had to click and link to about 100 photos to get the contents of 2 past orders into the cart. Took me 30-40 minutes![/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]Anyway, just a suggestion/thought.[/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]Does anyone else think this might be a useful feature?[/FONT]
    Rick Bradshaw

Self Proclaimed Amateur
  • Options
    rickbradrickbrad Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Organizational Tools
    Does anyone else feel a need to have better organizational tools on SmugMug?

I was playing around on Flickr because I have Yahoo/DSL and a Flickr account comes free with the DSL ISP.

I liked the organization tools for moving sets around into different galleries. But I still like SmugMugs better overall.

What I have found while setting up my SmugMug account over the last year or so is that I often want to reorganize - but every time I have started, it seems too daunting.

I like the tree type (similar to Windows) on the left pane of Flickr, but it often did not execute well. It would be really nice if you could cut and paste groups of folders around in SM.

Anyone?
    Rick Bradshaw

Self Proclaimed Amateur
  • Options
    scottycamscottycam Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Right Click Protect Functionality on the fly
    Just wanted to know if there's any talk about having either

a. Right Click Protected off for logged in users or
    b. an On/Off switch where the whole gallery can be locked down, but we can turn right click protect on/off of individual images as we see fit.

Reason and its use:
    I find myself going through my gallery and wanting to save an image only to remember that my images are right cilck protected. Rather than going all the way back to customize gallery, turning it off and then back to where my image was, save and then back to turn RCP on again...

Perhaps you can put the button where the Hide this photo button is?

Just a thought....

Thanks!!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    scottycam wrote:

b. an On/Off switch where the whole gallery can be locked down, but we can turn right click protect on/off of individual images as we see fit.

Reason and its use:
    I find myself going through my gallery and wanting to save an image only to remember that my images are right cilck protected. Rather than going all the way back to customize gallery, turning it off and then back to where my image was, save and then back to turn RCP on again...

Just a thought....

Thanks!!
    You can also just learn the URL naming scheme for images and construct the URL for the image directly, bypassing right-click protection. Once that's loaded in the browser, there's no right click and you can save it away. The naming scheme works like:

http://nickname.smugmug.com/photos/imageID_imageKey-O.jpg so all you need is the imageID_imageKey.

The imageID_imageKey can be seen easily in the URL from the Lightbox (click on the main image in the Smugmug view to get to the Lightbox).

For example, from this page:
    http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/1179391_dQAAR#55129730,
    you can click on the main image and get to this URL:
    http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/1179391_dQAAR#55129730_ECxZ9-A-LB
    which contains the imageID_imageKey "55129730_ECxZ9" that you can use to easily change into this by just adding "photos" instead of the gallery/galleryID:
    http://jfriend.smugmug.com/photos/55129730_ECxZ9-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 18, 2008
    scottycam wrote:

Reason and its use:

Just a thought....

Thanks!!

You can achieve this by adding the following javascript to your javascript footer section.
    if (YD.hasClass(document.body, 'loggedIn')) {
      document.oncontextmenu = null;
    }

David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Oh Nice.. I'm going to have to check this out.

THANKS!!

devbobo wrote:
    You can achieve this by adding the following javascript to your javascript footer section.
    if (YD.hasClass(document.body, 'loggedIn')) {
      document.oncontextmenu = null;
    }

• Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    So, I just checked this out and after saving a few images, I noticed the following:

When right clicking to save an image, it was trying to save it as a spacer.gif.

Any thoughts?

scottycam wrote:
    Oh Nice.. I'm going to have to check this out.

THANKS!!
This discussion has been closed.