Options

The Full Screen Slideshow Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    cjc wrote:
    Not sure about the forum etiquette of replying to myself... I spose it's not a problem.

Anyway, I want to add something to this thread: I've had some viewers take a look at the draft version of my first SmugMug slideshow photo essay. Every viewer gave the same feedback:

* They didn't realize they could pause the slideshow.
    * They didn't realize the "slow" option was available.
    * They found it VERY annoying that they couldn't read the captions because the slideshow was running too fast.

For now, my workaround is to give instructions to the user in the first slide. But that's really lame, guys. Let's fix this, and we'll have an excellent new feature that many will use. (Others, of course, will want to be able to customize their view speeds/options with other settings... this just happens to be my case.)

Here's the draft slideshow in question. Try it and see what you think:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/5438188_YTvZQ
    Just noticed another thing that's really annoying. You can't get rid of the
    thumbs and see the whole photo without waiting some time. Then moving
    mouse to click next you have to wait another long time for the thumbs to
    disappear and see the whole photo.
    I personally find the thumbs totally useless and would like an option to turn
    them off or at least put a toggle on/off at the top.:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Slideshow broken
    I have this issue on quite a lot of my galleries. When I click Slideshow, I get the following:

339616530_PTwwf-L.jpg

Gallery link: http://www.wellmanphoto.com/gallery/5490228_xcZaR

It's pretty annoying that the slideshow doesn't work for my visitors. :cry Any help? Thanks.
  • Options
    T(h)orstenT(h)orsten Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Slideshow Problem, pls help
    Slideshow Problem, pls help. I am waiting for support to answer, but maybe someone here can help as well.

Similiar issue as the poster above. Some thumbnails in the filmstrip show some don't. It looks like this: 340352099_dxEeZ-M.jpg
    Other galleries have only the first thumb.

1) Player Version: WIN 9,0,124,0 -> stupid me updated to the latest version. It worked before (version unknown). However, friends had the same issue (can only see first thumb and pic) and I tried to figure it out myself. Not a smart idea :cry

2) Win XP Home Edition 2002 SP2. Firefox 2.0.0.16

3) all my galleries: http://www.real-life-photography.com/Client%20Area/565863
    galleries are PW protected: *** pw removed by me ***

4+5) both of these slideshows work perfectly fine. Hope the issue is due to my customisation I basically copy-paste out of the smugmug help.

6) I am on broadband, but have some lags with the car ad. The "adobe full-sceen mode" loaded and then stayed about 30 sec in buffering (black screen) after that it worked perfectly.

7) I disabled hardware acceleration on my player. same issue

8) I cleared all my private data in firefox and re-started the PC. still same issue.

If anyone can help, pls let me know! I just started to customise my page and the possibilities seem really fantastic. However, if I and potential customers can't use the slideshow, that would be very sad. 3 out of 4 friends could not see the slideshow, same issue ne_nau.gif hope it is just in my customisation ...

Thanks,
    T
  • Options
    T(h)orstenT(h)orsten Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    slideshow issue on protected galleries.
    Thanks to the quick reply from support.

I could not find it here (but might have overlooked it) but there is an issue with slideshows on password protected galleries with custom domains. The current workaround is to use the standard smugmug link to your gallery/ website.

Hope this will be solved soon.
    Thanks,
    T
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    T(h)orsten wrote:

I could not find it here (but might have overlooked it) but there is an issue with slideshows on password protected galleries with custom domains. The current workaround is to use the standard smugmug link to your gallery/ website.

Thanks,
    T

Hmmm... If it's true that there's an issue with custom domains combined with password-protected galleries, could SmugMug change it's internal link generation routine to use my username.smugmug.com link rather than the custom domain link?

I understand that I might have to use the username.smugmug.com domain if I'm emailing out a link myself, but it seems SmugMug's own code could take this issue into account until it's properly fixed. Otherwise I'm left with a custom domain of quite diminished value.

Thanks. Hope this can be rectified one way or another. thumb.gif
    -Greg
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    T(h)orsten wrote:

Thanks,
    T
    No problem here. I have many new flash shows running in a gallery
    description of a passworded gallery using a another passworded gallery as
    the source. This runs using my domain or nickname. Only grip I have is the
    show asks for the same password to run.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    HippyMan wrote:
    Andy,

As you know I have worked with you
    It appears we're all set now, based on your last email to the desk - or am I wrong? If so, let me know here thumb.gif
  • Options
    bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    dual monitors-
    i'm trying to play the slideshow (fullscreen) on my secondary monitor-- it plays fine in the browser on the secondary monitor, but when i click full screen, it plays on the primary monitor-

is this expected and how it's going to be? or a known bug to be fixed? or something wrong on my end...

tried internet explorer 7, firefox 3, and safari-

flash version WIN 9,0,124,0

thanks-
    bh
  • Options
    bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    anyone?

bch2300 wrote:
    i'm trying to play the slideshow (fullscreen) on my secondary monitor-- it plays fine in the browser on the secondary monitor, but when i click full screen, it plays on the primary monitor-

is this expected and how it's going to be? or a known bug to be fixed? or something wrong on my end...

tried internet explorer 7, firefox 3, and safari-

flash version WIN 9,0,124,0

thanks-
    bh
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    bch2300 wrote:
    Expected, not a bug.
  • Options
    susieqsusieq Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 7, 2008
    Cannot view slideshow
    Hi - I am not able to view the slideshow screen - get black screen. In answer to your questions -
    1.My Player - Win 9.0.124.0
    Debug player - No
    Yes
    2. Firefox 3.0.1
    Win vista Ultimate 64 bit
    3. gallery - http://slumsden.smugmug.com/
    4. No
    5. No
    6. Yes

What do I do??? Thanks.......
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    susieq wrote:
    Hi - I am not able to view the slideshow screen - get black screen. In answer to your questions -
    1.My Player - Win 9.0.124.0
    Debug player - No
    Yes
    2. Firefox 3.0.1
    Win vista Ultimate 64 bit
    3. gallery - http://slumsden.smugmug.com/
    4. No
    5. No
    6. Yes

What do I do??? Thanks.......
    HI, are you using adblock plus?
  • Options
    susieqsusieq Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 7, 2008
    Cannot view slideshow
    Hi Andy - Yes, I am (was as of now) using adblock plus. I knew it was probably some stupid little thing but could not figure it out! It is working ok now.. Thanks very much.....Susan
  • Options
    pwollampwollam Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Can't make Safari work
    1. 9.0.124.0
    2. Safari 3.1.2
    3. http://paulwollam.smugmug.com/gallery/5646754_EW6Np#347312265_dRghc
    4. No
    5. yes
    6. yes

I got Firefox to work by disabling Adblock Plus (not a viable solution in my opinion), but can't get over the hump with Safari on two separate machines (both MacBook Pro's)

What am I missing?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    pwollam wrote:
    1. 9.0.124.0
    2. Safari 3.1.2
    3. http://paulwollam.smugmug.com/gallery/5646754_EW6Np#347312265_dRghc
    4. No
    5. yes
    6. yes

I got Firefox to work by disabling Adblock Plus (not a viable solution in my opinion), but can't get over the hump with Safari on two separate machines (both MacBook Pro's)

What am I missing?

Thanks
    that's a bug on our part, hopefully being fixed right now.
  • Options
    WyldWyld Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2008
    Multiple Monitors
    Hi,

I was wondering if there's a way to get the slideshow to show up on the non-primary monitor?

Even if I have the browser window in my second monitor the slide show runs on my primary monitor.

Thanks

Joe
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 14, 2008
    Wyld wrote:
    Hi,

I was wondering if there's a way to get the slideshow to show up on the non-primary monitor?

Even if I have the browser window in my second monitor the slide show runs on my primary monitor.

Thanks

Joe

That's a tough one because it depends on your graphics card most likely. I know with NVIDIA that you can change the primary monitor that individual applications run on using the nView settings.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    dbe4876dbe4876 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    1. We need to know your installed flash version, for IE (if you use it) and for other browsers. Go to this page at Adobe and tell us the results.

2. We need to know what browser you are using, and the version, and on what Operating System. E.g., IE6 on WinXP; IE7 on Windows Vista Home Premium; Firefox 2.0.0.13 on Mac OS X 10.5.
    3. We need a direct gallery link to where you are having the problem.
    4. Tell us if you can use the Full Screen Slideshow here in this gallery.
    5. Tell us if you can see the Full Screen Slideshow using this share link.
    6. If you can see #5 and cannot see #4, can you see this? (click the little icon to the right of the movie)
    or you can do Adobe's Full Screen test here.
    (click the full screen mode on the left, then let the demo load, then click full screen view button on the movie).
    7. If you cannot see SmugMug's Full Screen Slideshow, or the Cars Movie Demo in full screen or the Adobe Full Screen Demo in full screen, you may have a hardware issue with full screen. Try disabling hardware acceleration in the flash player.
    Some of you may have all the right stuff but have customizing that is getting in the way of your Full Screen Slideshow:
    • modifying the breadcrumb with javascript
    • having the olde javascript slideshow installed still
    Looking for Shizam's Homepage Slideshow? Right Here.

EDIT (April 9th, 2008): We updated the site to support the latest Adobe Flash version (9,0,124,0). You DO NOT require this version but if you have it or get it, you'll be fine. :)
    Slideshow in my galleries does not work. Answers...

1. WIN 9,0,115,0
    2. Firefox 3.0 on XP Pro (IE 7.0 works fine on this system)
    3. Gallery link: http://dbe.smugmug.com/gallery/3291037_sAPWp/1/184805062_dBFgW

Or, using my domain: http://www.davidenglundphotography.com/gallery/3291037_sAPWp/1/184805062_dBFgW

Neither one works for Slide show (though the slideshow on my home page works - see http://www.davidenglundphotography.com)

4. No
    5. No
    6. Yes, and Yes
    7. Tried it, no difference
    Don't know if I have any custom stuff interfering. It wasn't a few weeks ago. Can you tell if there is? I'm mystified. Why would it work in IE 7.x but not in Firefox 3.x?

NOTE: I too can get it working if I disable Adblock Plus. Is this the bug referred to above that's being fixed?
    Dave Englund
    DavidEnglundPhotography.com
    Canon 30D (my training wheels)
    Canon 60D (training wheels on speed)
  • Options
    darkwolf777darkwolf777 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    1. Flash version 9,0,124,0. Hardware acceleration is turned off in the Flash settings. On or off still results in a black screen.

2. Firefox 3.0.1, both Windows XP SP2, and Mac OSX 10.5.4 (same version of Flash on both systems too)

3. http://darkwolf777.smugmug.com/gallery/5742706_QXKVU/1/354796255_ZmwLk

4. No slideshow, black screen

5. Black screen again.

6. The "Cars" video plays fine, even switching to full screen works fine. And the full screen demo on Adobe's page works fine.

I can't see any slideshows, whether full screen, or switching the gallery layout to "Slideshow" and having it contained in a smaller window.

If I try it in Safari, it plays just fine (on both Windows and OSX). And if I try it in IE7 (on Windows) it works fine as well. However, on IE7 there's still a title bar for the window that should be hidden when full screen... and it doesn't start playing the slideshow until after you cancel a prompt to locate the Flash 9 debugger.

I'm wondering if Safari is just ignoring that message outright, and if Firefox is simply getting hung up on it, but because the screen is blacked out you can't actually see the message in order to cancel it?

I do have AdBlock Plus on Firefox, but I've also tried disabling it to test the slideshow, and had the same result.

[edit] I just disabled AdBlock Plus through the Tools>Add-ons menu, and after restarting Firefox, the slideshow does work. Having the extension enabled in the add-ons, but using it's drop down button to uncheck "Enable AdBlock Plus" is what I tried before, and no joy. So with the filters disabled, it still interferes with the slideshow. The entire extension needs to be disabled for it to work.
  • Options
    KevinLaycockKevinLaycock Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 26, 2008
    Just another data point
    Hi:

Slide show wasn't working for me on my (XP using Firefox). Worked fine with IE06.

1. Flash 9.0.124.0

2. Firefox 3.0.1 on XP

3. All of my galleries here http://laycock.smugmug.com

4. no

5. no

6. Your link for the Cars video seems to be getting redirected to a "Buy this Domain" kind of site... but the Adobe full screen test worked

Anyways, disabling AdBlockPlus on my gallery url fixed the problem. I had the same issue on Firefox on my Mac (Leopard) and same fix worked. Nothing on my gallery was actively being blocked by ABP but disabling it fixed the problem.

Just thought I'd share that in case it helps anyone.

Kevin
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2008
    [QUOTE=KevinLaycock
    Anyways, disabling AdBlockPlus on my gallery url fixed the problem. I had the same issue on Firefox on my Mac (Leopard) and same fix worked. Nothing on my gallery was actively being blocked by ABP but disabling it fixed the problem.

Just thought I'd share that in case it helps anyone.

Kevin[/QUOTE]Hello, it's a known issue and we're trying to work around the adblock plus issue. Sorry :(
  • Options
    DeeRichDeeRich Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Fullscreen not working
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Folks! On March 17th we released a new version of our Full Screen Slideshow and also the gallery-style slideshow.

If you are having any difficulties with the slideshow, we want to help, and we'll do it here. Some things we need to know when you reply:

1. We need to know your installed flash version, for IE (if you use it) and for other browsers. Go to this page at Adobe and tell us the results.

2. We need to know what browser you are using, and the version, and on what Operating System. E.g., IE6 on WinXP; IE7 on Windows Vista Home Premium; Firefox 2.0.0.13 on Mac OS X 10.5.

3. We need a direct gallery link to where you are having the problem.

4. Tell us if you can use the Full Screen Slideshow here in this gallery.

5. Tell us if you can see the Full Screen Slideshow using this share link.

6. If you can see #5 and cannot see #4, can you see this? (click the little icon to the right of the movie)

or you can do Adobe's Full Screen test here.
    (click the full screen mode on the left, then let the demo load, then click full screen view button on the movie).

7. If you cannot see SmugMug's Full Screen Slideshow, or the Cars Movie Demo in full screen or the Adobe Full Screen Demo in full screen, you may have a hardware issue with full screen. Try disabling hardware acceleration in the flash player.

Some of you may have all the right stuff but have customizing that is getting in the way of your Full Screen Slideshow:
    • modifying the breadcrumb with javascript
    • having the olde javascript slideshow installed still
    Looking for Shizam's Homepage Slideshow? Right Here.

EDIT (April 9th, 2008): We updated the site to support the latest Adobe Flash version (9,0,124,0). You DO NOT require this version but if you have it or get it, you'll be fine. :)

EDIT (August 31, 2008): Adblock Plus and Firefox3 aren't playing well with FS Slideshow and Flash. Sorry :( We're trying to work on this and overcome the issue with Adblock plus, updates when we have them....

I have taken the Adobe test--everything OK. Questions 4 and 5 worked fine--NO problem seeing other's fullscreen slideshows. I have IE 7, Windows XP, all the latest flash stuff installed. Fullscreen slideshow was working fine a few days ago but just...quit.

When Fullscreen is clicked, the big black screen shows, and the thumbs slideshow is "trying" to work. Am I one of those with "the olde javascript slideshow installed still? If so, how would I know that, and how does it get corrected? OR, have I screwed up customization?

Also, if and when fullscreen is fixed, how do I get the thumbs from appearing above the pics--it cuts off the top of the pictures unless I make them smaller--then, if I do that, they are not big enough if viewed in the gallery style slidewhow? OR better yet, can the thumbs be completely disabled?

Thanks much, DeeRich

http://www.oursite.smugmug.com/gallery/1717403_kmqLr
  • Options
    cmalcmal Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    PackMule wrote:
    Fixing the Black Screen of Death

I scanned the thread and didn't see this solution listed, but forgive me if I missed it and it's 205.

When clicking on the full screen slideshows, I was just getting a blank (black) screen. It would never progress beyond this, no matter how long I left it. Curiously, I noticed the same thing happened when attempting to view YouTube in full screen. Up-to-date releases of Firefox and Flash running on Vista. It actually started happening after the last Flash update.

After some google-fu, it appeared that others with this black screen issue had solved it by turning Hardware Acceleration off. The problem is that this menu is accessed with a right-click, which wasn't available (gray'd out) from the SmugMug slideshow (and youtube full screen).

To access the Adobe Flash Player menu successfully, go to youtube and click on any video. From the small screen, right-click --> Settings --> Display Menu --> UNCHECK HARDWARE ACCELERATION, and then click Close.

Close out your tabs/windows, re-open, and voile. The new slideshow works a treat! clap.gif

Hope this helps others who've been stumped by the black screen of death. thumb.gif

wings.gifThank you so much, I've been trying everything and your simple fix did the trick for me. 1000 bows to you.
    Please visit my galleries: http://cynthiamalbon.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    haleyimageshaleyimages Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    problems here
    OSX 10.5, using Safari 3.1.2
    Both examples worked fine
    Installed latest flash from Adobe

Still having issues with full screen slideshows in my galleries... for example:

http://www.haleyimages.com/gallery/5905966_489gm

Thanks

Adam
  • Options
    voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    How Get the slideshows ? PLLLEASE !!!
    How can I just get started with slide show customization. Lots of forum talk of how to do this and that, how cool the slide show is. Where to just start ? Can't be found.
    Everything has a wrinkle to it that assumes too much. NOT how to have slideshow on BIO, just how to have slide show. Please.
    All instructions comments, threads forget to say where to get, where to just get started.
    Which slideshow is which : what's a shizam slideshow, what's a full screen slideshow, what's flash based slideshow ? Someone somewhere, please, make these things clear.
    Would like to get started with slide show customizing, I think full screen with some tweaks, but can't even begin without some knowledge of the simplest terms.
    What is the term for the slideshow style that has the large arrows (triangles) on either side of the photo, with large "pause" button in middle of photo ?
    I always give these problems a couple of hours of hunting through the forums, threads, tutorials before asking. Always the same problem : guessing what magic words will bring up an answer, then : answers in tutorials or forums assume too much - leaving out the essential getting started info, OR : jump to some extra added tweak of the issue. You finally find some information on "slideshow" but it's how to have slideshow button flash in morse code on your toaster instead of your computer screen."
    I wanted to mess around with a few tweaks of a slide show but just how to even get to the simplest , how to begin, where to download what, where to get the starter code would do for now.

Marty
    (dotfur.com)
  • Options
    DianaPricePhotoDianaPricePhoto Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    Where do we begin?
    I see the announcements about the new slideshow, and I see the sticky about what info we need to give to have you troubleshoot our bugs, but I can;t even find the basic instructions on how to START. Is there a link somewhere that gives the inital instructions or are we supposed to guess?
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2008
    I see the announcements about the new slideshow, and I see the sticky about what info we need to give to have you troubleshoot our bugs, but I can;t even find the basic instructions on how to START. Is there a link somewhere that gives the inital instructions or are we supposed to guess?
    Have you seen this tutor? If you click "Tutorials" in the menu at the top of
    any forum page you will find it.
  • Options
    KellyJohnsonKellyJohnson Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    Problems with slideshow in IE & Safari
    Hello, hopefully someone can help me. I have been trying to customize my site and have been going through all the posts here trying to find solutions and it has been really helpful so far. I got the slideshow working and the nav bar while I was working in IE. Now I'm looking at my home page in Safari and the slideshow is too far up and covers up the nav bar. However, when I look at it in IE, everything looks fine. Please let me know if there's a solution to this problem that I'm not seeing because I don't want to go any further with spending the time building this site if it's going to look really bad in some browsers.
    Thanks in advance for any help.:bash :bash :bash :bash

my site is www.kellyjohnsonphotography.com
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Slideshow not working
    I upgraded the flash player on my computer last night now my slideshow doesn't work with Firefox 3.03. It works fine with IE.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    dclarkdclark Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2008
    poor photo quality in full screen slideshow?
    I'm using the full screen slideshow and randomly some photos look terrible! They look fuzzy and muddled and just very poor quality in the slideshow. Those photos look fine in the gallery. I uploaded the photos to a separate gallery and ran through the photos one by one in both galleries side by side - gallery photos look fine and sharp. Ran the slideshow for each gallery - same set of photos, some photos affected in full screen slideshow (~20% of photos), and different ones affected in one gallery vs. another.

I'm using firefox 2.0.0.17

This is not good.