Options

The Full Screen Slideshow Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    dclark wrote:
    I'm using the full screen slideshow and randomly some photos look terrible! They look fuzzy and muddled and just very poor quality in the slideshow. Those photos look fine in the gallery. I uploaded the photos to a separate gallery and ran through the photos one by one in both galleries side by side - gallery photos look fine and sharp. Ran the slideshow for each gallery - same set of photos, some photos affected in full screen slideshow (~20% of photos), and different ones affected in one gallery vs. another.

I'm using firefox 2.0.0.17

This is not good.
    Hello, would love to help :) In order to help, we need a gallery link, and the exact photos that to you, are looking terrible. Also, what resolution is your monitor please?
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:
    I upgraded the flash player on my computer last night now my slideshow doesn't work with Firefox 3.03. It works fine with IE.

Any suggestions?

This still hasn't been addressed or resolved. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:
    This still hasn't been addressed or resolved. Any thoughts?
    What version are you at now in FF?
    Do you run Adblock+?
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    What version are you at now in FF?
    Do you run Adblock+?

Still at 3.03. No, I don't run adblock.

It's been fine until just a few days ago.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited October 28, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:
    Still at 3.03. No, I don't run adblock.

It's been fine until just a few days ago.
    Your slideshow doesn't work for me on either IE7 or Firefox 3.

I believe at least part of the problem is your splash image. When I use just that URL, I get a file not found error. Is the URL for your splash correct? Is that photo in a gallery that is not password-protected and that allows external links?

Also - you are using an old version of the slideshow code. I believe that should still work, but you might want to change to the current (and simpler) code. See http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Flash+Slideshow.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008

I believe at least part of the problem is your splash image. When I use just that URL, I get a file not found error. Is the URL for your splash correct? Is that photo in a gallery that is not password-protected and that allows external links?

Also - you are using an old version of the slideshow code. I believe that should still work, but you might want to change to the current (and simpler) code. See http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Flash+Slideshow.

--- Denise

That's weird. It works just fine for me in IE 7 (and has been working just fine in FF until a few days ago).
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008

--- Denise

Thanks Denise. I changed to the newer version of the slideshow code and that seems to have worked. I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:
    Thanks Denise. I changed to the newer version of the slideshow code and that seems to have worked. I appreciate your help.
    w00p!
  • Options
    alphazoalphazo Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2008
    How do you do true fullscreen slideshow without going to the Gallery page?
    Hello,

I like the slideshow function built-in Smugmug galleries. However the link to the Slideshow that is provided under GetLink only starts a Full Window Slideshow rather than a Full Screen one like when clicking on the Slideshow button present on the Gallery page. Is there any way to accomplish one of the following functions?
    1) Custom link that would start a true full screen slideshow
    or
    2) Embbeded html code that would only display a big Start Slideshow button (in a blog for example)

Thank you
    Alphazo
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    alphazo wrote:
    1) Custom link that would start a true full screen slideshow
    or
    2) Embbeded html code that would only display a big Start Slideshow button (in a blog for example)
    I'm afraid, both is not possible. The native fullscreen slideshow can't be launched through a link. It only works from within the gallery. And there's also no way to have the native slideshow embedded into an external site. Sorry.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    GovMuleGovMule Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    FSSS issue
    Dear Smuggers,
    I've had only one issue until recently,and that was the black screen. After buzzing through this thread,I fixed it by disabling harware accelaration (#7 of the original post). The recent issue that's popped up,I haven't fixed,nor do I know how. HELP ! (It's probably easy)
    When I click on slideshow within my gallery,the slideshow comes up,but it does not display the "image" full screen. Instead the image is centered,with lots of black framing the image.
    Here's my details.......
    1. WIN 10,0,12,36
    2. Firefox 2.0.0.18 on WinXp Pro SP2

3. http://chriscouse.smugmug.com/gallery/5266257_SLRps#416783104_eZEyW

4. Could not use the Full Screen Slideshow here in this gallery, until disabling “Hardware acceleration” (#7). Works fine now. No more black screens.

5. Initially,the screen was blank. After a page refresh,slideshow appeared fine here.
    Canon 50D/Rebel XTi / EF 24-70 F2.8 L / EF 70-200 F4 L / EF 300 F4 L IS / EF 1.4x II /580 EX II / Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC Fisheye HSM
    http://chriscouse.smugmug.com/
    One step closer and I'll shoot you with my Canon
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    GovMule wrote:
    Dear Smuggers,
    I've had only one issue until recently,and that was the black screen. After buzzing through this thread,I fixed it by disabling harware accelaration (#7 of the original post). The recent issue that's popped up,I haven't fixed,nor do I know how. HELP ! (It's probably easy)
    When I click on slideshow within my gallery,the slideshow comes up,but it does not display the "image" full screen. Instead the image is centered,with lots of black framing the image.
    Here's my details.......
    1. WIN 10,0,12,36
    2. Firefox 2.0.0.18 on WinXp Pro SP2

3. http://chriscouse.smugmug.com/gallery/5266257_SLRps#416783104_eZEyW

4. Could not use the Full Screen Slideshow here in this gallery, until disabling “Hardware acceleration” (#7). Works fine now. No more black screens.

5. Initially,the screen was blank. After a page refresh,slideshow appeared fine here.
    Hi wave.gif

You've limited your images to a maximum size of X2. Try changing that to Original (on the 'customize gallery) page and you should be fine thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Hi wave.gif

You've limited your images to a maximum size of X2. Try changing that to Original (on the 'customize gallery) page and you should be fine thumb.gif

Ivar,
    I've always had the images set at x2,and full screen used to work fine. headscratch.gif
    Canon 50D/Rebel XTi / EF 24-70 F2.8 L / EF 70-200 F4 L / EF 300 F4 L IS / EF 1.4x II /580 EX II / Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC Fisheye HSM
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    GovMule wrote:
    Ivar,
    I've always had the images set at x2,and full screen used to work fine. headscratch.gif
    You know, you're right. It should be stretched. I was a puppy short of a petshop when I wrote that.

I'll investigate and keep you updated. Sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 28, 2008
    I believe it is now fixed. Sorry about that folks.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    I believe it is now fixed. Sorry about that folks.

I believe you are correct. Looks good now ! clap.gif
  • Options
    sbrandphotogalsbrandphotogal Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Full Screen Slideshow Help Needed....
    Hi,
    I need help with full screen slide shows. I saw the post about the questions you need answers to and I'll give it a try:
    1. Flash version is Mac 9,0,124,0 (debug player-no)
    2. Mac X 10.5.5 but I don't know about browser--how do I find out? I'm sort of guessing that the answer might be Safari--Version 3.1.2 (5525.20.1)
    3. Gallery links:
    http://sbrandphotogal.smugmug.com/ga...19023336_sNSEi (about to be disabled)
    OR
    http://www.stephaniebrandphotography.com/gallery/6579136_nPPJd#419023336_sNSEi
    4 and 5. They look the same on my 30" monitor--nice and big but not at all full screen.
    6. I do get #6 to be completely full screen with no problem...

I'm clueless about what to try to do and how to try to do it...
    thanks
    stephanie
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Hi,
    I need help with full screen slide shows. I saw the post about the questions you need answers to and I'll give it a try:
    1. Flash version is Mac 9,0,124,0 (debug player-no)
    2. Mac X 10.5.5 but I don't know about browser--how do I find out? I'm sort of guessing that the answer might be Safari--Version 3.1.2 (5525.20.1)
    3. Gallery links:
    http://sbrandphotogal.smugmug.com/ga...19023336_sNSEi (about to be disabled)
    OR
    http://www.stephaniebrandphotography.com/gallery/6579136_nPPJd#419023336_sNSEi
    4 and 5. They look the same on my 30" monitor--nice and big but not at all full screen.
    6. I do get #6 to be completely full screen with no problem...
    Is it the same in Firefox and Safari?
    The gallery link isn't complete. Could you give us a gallery name instead?

4 and 5 look the same? That's odd. #5 should be a browser window, while #4 should be a fullscreen modus where you don't see anything of the browser interface. Go again to #4 and click on the 'slideshow' button. Make sure that you don't have your style set to 'slideshow' style.

Maybe updating your Flash version helps resolving your issue? You can get the new flash on www.adobe.com/flashplayer

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2008
    full screen issues contine...
    Is it the same in Firefox and Safari?
    The gallery link isn't complete. Could you give us a gallery name instead?

4 and 5 look the same? That's odd. #5 should be a browser window, while #4 should be a fullscreen modus where you don't see anything of the browser interface. Go again to #4 and click on the 'slideshow' button. Make sure that you don't have your style set to 'slideshow' style.

Maybe updating your Flash version helps resolving your issue? You can get the new flash on www.adobe.com/flashplayer

Sebastian
    Hi again,
    Maybe I'm just not understanding what full screen should look like.... I'm thinking that the image should fill the monitor. If that is correct, it doesn't (in my galleries, in your #4 or your #5--whether in Firefox or Safari, even with the newest Flash version). The only thing that I see filling the monitor screen completely is the cars demo.
    You can access my galleries at www.stephaniebrandphotography.com.
    All the galleries there are set to Smug Mug view and when you click on slideshow all look the same to me. On my 30" monitor, the images in portrait orientation show up at about 7"x10" and those in landscape orientation show up at about 10" x 15 or 16." By comparison, when I go to the Smug Mug Super Hero Gallery (item #4 and 5) what I get in portrait orientation is 10 1/2" x 16" and in landscape I get 16" x 10 1/2." In the auto thing I get the full measurement of this monitor screen, 25 1/4" X 16."
    Hope that clarifies what I'm seeing....
    Thanks for the help.
    Stephanie
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Hi again,
    Maybe I'm just not understanding what full screen should look like.... I'm thinking that the image should fill the monitor. If that is correct, it doesn't (in my galleries, in your #4 or your #5--whether in Firefox or Safari, even with the newest Flash version). The only thing that I see filling the monitor screen completely is the cars demo.
    You can access my galleries at www.stephaniebrandphotography.com.
    All the galleries there are set to Smug Mug view and when you click on slideshow all look the same to me. On my 30" monitor, the images in portrait orientation show up at about 7"x10" and those in landscape orientation show up at about 10" x 15 or 16." By comparison, when I go to the Smug Mug Super Hero Gallery (item #4 and 5) what I get in portrait orientation is 10 1/2" x 16" and in landscape I get 16" x 10 1/2." In the auto thing I get the full measurement of this monitor screen, 25 1/4" X 16."
    Hope that clarifies what I'm seeing....
    Thanks for the help.
    Stephanie

FWIW, I see the same issue on your gallery. If I go to this gallery of yours and click the Slideshow button, I get a slideshow that only fills about half of the monitor in the vertical direction. I wait 10 slides and it never gets any bigger. I see that you have originals enabled in that gallery so there's no issue with that.

Ahhh, then I see that your originals are only 1333x1000 so that's the largest they will ever be in the slideshow. Could that be the issue you are seeing?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    wyndhamwyndham Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    That Progress Bar
    OK. I've brought this up about three times now and even got what looked like a sympathetic response last time but I shall be closing my Pro Account and moving elsewhere unless someone fixes where the progress bar appears during a slide show.

Yes: I've got a lousy internet connection 50% of the time.
    No: My pictures aren't overly large, difficult or strange in any way

The problem: I get 10 or 15 seconds of the picture I expect to see and then up to three agonising minutes as the progress bar inches its way across its little slot IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PICTURE.

431764675_PktFi-L.jpg

This effectively makes it impossible to enjoy the picture while the next one is loading. Please, please, please put it somewhere else (either of the two positions above would do) or better still give us a little clock type icon that sits discretely in a corner of the screen and moves such that one revolution covers the loading. Anything flashing or moving fast draws your eye away from the picture and most people surely just need reassurance that the connection hasn't dropped and that one day the next picture will appear.

I'm not the only one with an unpredictable connection and I'm too embarrassed to send slide show links out to friends or potential clients in case they have the same issue. It would be wonderful if you could make shows load quicker but at least make them bearable to watch for more than those people with a good service.

Surely it can't be hard to at least move it from the centre of the viewing area. My account is up for renewal in about three months and I shall start looking elsewhere after the holiday. Why lose an otherwise loyal customer?
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    full screen issue....original image size???
    jfriend wrote:
    FWIW, I see the same issue on your gallery. If I go to this gallery of yours and click the Slideshow button, I get a slideshow that only fills about half of the monitor in the vertical direction. I wait 10 slides and it never gets any bigger. I see that you have originals enabled in that gallery so there's no issue with that.

Ahhh, then I see that your originals are only 1333x1000 so that's the largest they will ever be in the slideshow. Could that be the issue you are seeing?
    OK, that is certainly possible. As I said when I started this piece of the thread, I'm clueless headscratch.gif. So, what size should they be? My originals are RAW files which I import and work on in Lightroom as dngs, and a quick look at my metadata on one that is uncropped shows that that original is 4272 X 2848. Should I be importing them at that size? As jpegs?
    Let me know what you think and I'll give it a try!

thanks
    Stephanie
  • Options
    DanielDDanielD Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Slideshow doesn't work for most of my galleries
    Hello,
    I noticed today that on most of my galleries (it seems) the full screen slideshow doesn't work. The popular pictures gallery does work, but this one

http://danielsfotos.smugmug.com/gallery/2657365_zpfaX#140566276_kqsis

for example does not. If I'm lucky (like at this one) at least the thumbnails do load and show in the full screen slideshow, but the actual pictures don't.
    On other galleries, even the thumbnails don't load (in that slideshow top bar).

(uning FF 3.04 on Linux, checked with FF 3.04 on vista without extensions, similar problems.)

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    OK, that is certainly possible. As I said when I started this piece of the thread, I'm clueless headscratch.gif. So, what size should they be? My originals are RAW files which I import and work on in Lightroom as dngs, and a quick look at my metadata on one that is uncropped shows that that original is 4272 X 2848. Should I be importing them at that size? As jpegs?
    Let me know what you think and I'll give it a try!

thanks
    Stephanie

If you ever want to make prints, then you should upload the maximum number of original pixels you have with no resizing in any way. That would be what your camera captured minus anything you cropped away. Upload that and Smugmug will automatically make

If you or your viewers aren't ever ordering prints, then you just need to upload something large enough to make a good full screen slideshow on large monitors (mine is 1600x2560), but at that point, you might as well just upload your originals (after editing, but no resizing).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    Full screen issue....curiouser and curiouser....but maybe solved!
    jfriend wrote:
    If you ever want to make prints, then you should upload the maximum number of original pixels you have with no resizing in any way. That would be what your camera captured minus anything you cropped away. Upload that and Smugmug will automatically make

If you or your viewers aren't ever ordering prints, then you just need to upload something large enough to make a good full screen slideshow on large monitors (mine is 1600x2560), but at that point, you might as well just upload your originals (after editing, but no resizing).

Hi,
    Ok, here's what I did. I took a sample of images, portrait and landscape mode and uploaded them as shot (changing only the resolution, down to 100).

Here's what happened... the first time I played it through as a slide show, the images in portrait orientation filled the screen top to bottom and were about 10 1/2" wide (I think that's really full screen for portrait orientation) BUT the landscapes looked unchanged to my eye.

I then started writing this e-mail and figured I'd go back and actually measure the landscapes and voila! they were full screen!! I don't get it, but it looks as if I reimput all my images (ugh) it should be fine.

Thanks for the help.clap.gif

Two last questions (one of which ties into both this and that annoying little progress bar).... does importing the images in full size mean that I'll see (or others will see) more of that progress bar as there will be more pixels for SM to deal with?

Finally, am I right to decrease resolution?

thanks again
    stephanie
  • Options
    ClattertruckClattertruck Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2009
    wyndham wrote:
    OK. I've brought this up about three times now and even got what looked like a sympathetic response last time but I shall be closing my Pro Account and moving elsewhere unless someone fixes where the progress bar appears during a slide show.

Yes: I've got a lousy internet connection 50% of the time.
    No: My pictures aren't overly large, difficult or strange in any way

The problem: I get 10 or 15 seconds of the picture I expect to see and then up to three agonising minutes as the progress bar inches its way across its little slot IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PICTURE.

431764675_PktFi-L.jpg

This effectively makes it impossible to enjoy the picture while the next one is loading. Please, please, please put it somewhere else (either of the two positions above would do) or better still give us a little clock type icon that sits discretely in a corner of the screen and moves such that one revolution covers the loading. Anything flashing or moving fast draws your eye away from the picture and most people surely just need reassurance that the connection hasn't dropped and that one day the next picture will appear.

I'm not the only one with an unpredictable connection and I'm too embarrassed to send slide show links out to friends or potential clients in case they have the same issue. It would be wonderful if you could make shows load quicker but at least make them bearable to watch for more than those people with a good service.

Surely it can't be hard to at least move it from the centre of the viewing area. My account is up for renewal in about three months and I shall start looking elsewhere after the holiday. Why lose an otherwise loyal customer?

I have the same complaint. Is there an answer?
    Ron
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    I usually have a good connection but that loading bar covers the
    splash, might as well not have a splash if you can't see it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    DanielDDanielD Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    I have the same complaint. Is there an answer?
    Ron

I would prefer a small clock type icon in one of the image's corners.
  • Options
    wyndhamwyndham Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    I usually have a good connection but that loading bar covers the
    splash, might as well not have a splash if you can't see it.

Allen, I don't know what you mean by a splash but I am heartened to see at least someone else agrees with me. It makes the slide show unusable for me and without knowing the status of the proposed viewer's connection I am reluctant to send a link to casual viewers or customers. Why is no-one taking this complaint seriously enough to make what surely must only be a minor code change of the co-ordinates of that progress bar. Will it cost more that the $100+ that Smugmug will be down when I move my account - maybe more if there are others who feel the same way. Please help: I hate having to do all this whinging!
  • Options
    NBensonNBenson Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 7, 2009
    FSSS problem
    FSSS appears to load (you see the prelims and the strip at top etc briefly), but then does not run.

Clue? galleries created since FSSS added work, earlier galleries don't. (Another gallery I created just yesterday does display FSSS correctly.)

Adobe: MAC 9,0,124,0
    in Firefox/2.0.0.20

this one runs:
    http://bensonbuergi.smugmug.com/gallery/6825879_w6Y9Q#439333432_4eSsN

this one (for example) doesn't:
    http://bensonbuergi.smugmug.com/gallery/2402273_TtzeC#125921227_Hzy4C

ditto for Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6)
    (also, the escape button doesn't work to leave FSSS)

and in Explorer Version: 5.2.3 (5815.1) nothing happens, but it's probably a very old version. Never use it (or Safari, for that matter).

n