Options

A day in the life of dgrin! (an unofficial challenge)…

Comments

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    i'm in - sounds funthumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    This sounds like fun :)

I've been thinking lately that I need to finally get up enough courage to post some photos and this looks like it will be as good as any place to start!

Looking forward to getting out to shoot next Saturday!!

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    Even harder though would be to approach this exercise by only allowing yourself to take 10 shots and submitting those!

Y'know, that brings up something kind of interesting...I will be shooting digital all day but I could force myself to take only 10 B&W from my 1950's rangefinder and use those...

Oh boy, this could be REALLY fun to try! Gotta make sure my lightmeter has fresh batteries 'cause that camera sure doesn't need 'em!

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I'm going to *try* to do this too. I already have a 'picture day' planned for the 18th & had planned to spend the 19th working on them. I guess I'll have to spend the 19th as a 'picture day' also!:ivar

Sherry
  • Options
    JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    lisap wrote:
    This sounds like fun :)

I've been thinking lately that I need to finally get up enough courage to post some photos and this looks like it will be as good as any place to start!

Looking forward to getting out to shoot next Saturday!!

-- Lisa P.

Laughing.gif...you and me too girl! Good luck!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Y'know, that brings up something kind of interesting...I will be shooting digital all day but I could force myself to take only 10 B&W from my 1950's rangefinder and use those...

Oh boy, this could be REALLY fun to try! Gotta make sure my lightmeter has fresh batteries 'cause that camera sure doesn't need 'em!

- Mike

Ok, Back in February of 2006, when I was thinking of getting into photography, I bought a 10 pack of 4X5 film for my late father-in-law's old Speed Graphic. I got the film all loaded up in the carriers, but before I ever exposed a sheet of it, I bought a D200 - and that was all she wrote.

Maybe next weekend would be a good time to expose those sheets and see what I get!

Do any of you know if they would still be good? They have been kept in a cool, dark, dry place pretty much the whole time. Also, is it possible to use the light meter on my D300 to calculate the exposure for the Speed Graphic?

I think I'd shoot the film just as a fun experiment and still shoot a bunch of digital as well. That way if I happened to get anything from the film it would be a bonus.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Sounds like a great opportunity to attempt something you've been meaning to try but haven't. Like I haven't begun to get the hang of using the Lensbaby I bought (plus all the accessories!). I may drag that out and shoot all day and see what I can come up with. Count me in! :D
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    How cool and dry? You should be okay if you know they've been relatively cool. As far as exposure, any meter will work as long as it's set for the ASA/ISO of the film. If using the D200 meter, measure as close as possible to the actual area the 4X5 will be shooting, or meter on a gray card and set the 4X5 to that. If you're planning to use the cloth shutter (if so equipped) try some panning shots on cars and marvel at their comical wheels.

I'm in for this fun Day-in-the-Life project. Too bad it isn't this weekend, though, as I'm planning an actual day in my life: Visit my barber, meet up with a friend for lunch and to see his new car, etc. lol

Ok, Back in February of 2006, when I was thinking of getting into photography, I bought a 10 pack of 4X5 film for my late father-in-law's old Speed Graphic. I got the film all loaded up in the carriers, but before I ever exposed a sheet of it, I bought a D200 - and that was all she wrote.

Maybe next weekend would be a good time to expose those sheets and see what I get!

Do any of you know if they would still be good? They have been kept in a cool, dark, dry place pretty much the whole time. Also, is it possible to use the light meter on my D300 to calculate the exposure for the Speed Graphic?

I think I'd shoot the film just as a fun experiment and still shoot a bunch of digital as well. That way if I happened to get anything from the film it would be a bonus.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    TralfazPhotoTralfazPhoto Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    This sounds like some good fun
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I'm SO in. Thanks for the inspiration, Paul! Can't wait...
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I'm in :D

Maybe bonus points for how many shots you took total that dayne_nau.gif

I think Nik will take the prize, but I'm oficially calling you out Nik. I'm gonna shoot more frames than you :duel Total honor system and no 200 shots of the same thing either thumb.gif

You game?

*I have a feeling I'm gonna get obliterated by a shooter as prolific as Nik.. But I'll have fun tryingmwink.gif

I'm praying my grip shows up by then...
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    It sounds like fun, but I am going to be travelling from the 18th to the 28th visiting family. I have no idea what I'll be able to shoot on the 19th, but I know I won't have anything processed by the 26th. When I get home and have my life back in order, I'll peek in here to see how its going and, if I have anything from the 19th worth showing, I'll post a link to it. Good luck all.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm in :D

Maybe bonus points for how many shots you took total that dayne_nau.gif

I think Nik will take the prize, but I'm oficially calling you out Nik. I'm gonna shoot more frames than you :duel Total honor system and no 200 shots of the same thing either thumb.gif

You game?

*I have a feeling I'm gonna get obliterated by a shooter as prolific as Nik.. But I'll have fun tryingmwink.gif

I'm praying my grip shows up by then...

Well, just to make it a fair warning - I will be on a *very* intensive shoot that day..mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    This sounds good! I'm with ya. :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, just to make it a fair warning - I will be on a *very* intensive shoot that day..mwink.gif
    This is more motivation for me than to actually beat you Nik. The most frames I've shot in one day is about 3k. So I'm pretty sure you've shot more than that.

Only problem is I have a new camera w/ new memory cards. I only have 10GB. I may need to dumb my shots down to jpeg to even get into the high digits rolleyes1.gif

Come to think of it... I'm definitely gonna steal wifeys D300 since the battery life is so much better :D But she only has 1GB, so that's a total of 11GB.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    ...April 19th is the Official Shoot Day ... Dgrin is a global community and I'm really hoping that we get folks from all over to participate! thumb.gif

Sure is.:D
    Count me in. thumb.gif
    I have nothing planned for that Saturday. I'll see what I can do.:Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:

- Mike

ugh, i thought i was the only one that was going to do something like that....rolleyes1.gif

may i ask?, do i have the general concept correct? i understand the theme is irrelevant, but is this a biography of me in a way?ne_nau.gif
    are we all doing pictures of ourselves doing our day, meaning, self portraits...
    ???

or is it just "what i see" through the camera "type" of concept?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    ugh, i thought i was the only one that was going to do something like that....rolleyes1.gif

may i ask?, do i have the general concept correct? i understand the theme is irrelevant, but is this a biography of me in a way?ne_nau.gif
    are we all doing pictures of ourselves doing our day, meaning, self portraits...
    ???

or is it just "what i see" through the camera "type" of concept?

rolleyes1.gif

Just go shoot something.

We don't need to see any more pictures of your ugly mug! rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    This is more motivation for me than to actually beat you Nik. The most frames I've shot in one day is about 3k. So I'm pretty sure you've shot more than that.

Only problem is I have a new camera w/ new memory cards. I only have 10GB. I may need to dumb my shots down to jpeg to even get into the high digits rolleyes1.gif

Come to think of it... I'm definitely gonna steal wifeys D300 since the battery life is so much better :D But she only has 1GB, so that's a total of 11GB.

I have you beat on Gigs but I have no intention of shooting multiple triple digits. That would take me weeks to edit and I would end up kicking the computer. :D

I will probably be close to 1K that day and not looking forward to it. :nah

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

Just go shoot something.

We don't need to see any more pictures of your ugly mug! rolleyes1.gif

ok, nevermind my other questions, my question now is a good whooping is only going to take me a minute, so what should i shoot the rest of the day while im down in phoenix...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    ok, nevermind my other questions, my question now is a good whooping is only going to take me a minute, so what should i shoot the rest of the day while im down in phoenix...

After you pick yourself up out of the dirt you can assist me on my shoot rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though- you have a ton of landscape ops near you and some cool architectural possibilities too. Decide on a subject or story to shoot. Do a 10 shot photo essay of St. George

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    After you pick yourself up out of the dirt you can assist me on my shoot rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though- you have a ton of landscape ops near you and some cool architectural possibilities too. Decide on a subject or story to shoot. Do a 10 shot photo essay of St. George

I'll be in L.A. that day....

im just wondering if this was intended to be a self portrait type of shooting...

i guess it really dont matter, something to do and share....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    kworkkwork Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I'm in. April 19th is Opening Day of Baseball season at our local Parks and Rec dept where I work parttime so I should have ample opportunities to shoot.
    Kevin

D50 ■ 17-55 f/2.8 ■ 50 f/1.8 ■ 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S ■ SB-800 ■ SB-600 ■ Hoya Filters ■ Manfrotto legs and head ■ Kata R-103 Rucksack

My SmugMug
    My Project 366 :ivar
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    I'll be in L.A. that day....

im just wondering if this was intended to be a self portrait type of shooting...

i guess it really dont matter, something to do and share....
    Yup. They don't even have to be related images. I'm going for total random madness mwink.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

I have battery-powered portable 160Gb HDD with the built-in card reader:-) mwink.gif
    But no, I never shot 3K frames in one day, I think 1.8K was my record :hide
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I have battery-powered portable 160Gb HDD with the built-in card reader:-) mwink.gif
    But no, I never shot 3K frames in one day, I think 1.8K was my record :hide
    I don't know how I'd shoot 3K w/o a wedding. .That's how I made that record.

Culling was a nightmare.. :D

Thanks for that reminder!! My wife has one of those portable SD to DVD burners. I'll just grab that and be golden :D
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    At FEI level dressage horse shows, I've shot as many as 7k images in a day, and just under 20k in a 3-day show of that. Its ridiculous, but the issue wasn't storage space but keeping the batteries charged and rolling!

Lets all go shoot and tell our story!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    But no, I never shot 3K frames in one day, I think 1.8K was my record
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I don't know how I'd shoot 3K w/o a wedding. .That's how I made that record.
    HoofClix wrote:
    At FEI level dressage horse shows, I've shot as many as 7k images in a day, and just under 20k in a 3-day show of that. Its ridiculous, but the issue wasn't storage space but keeping the batteries charged and rolling!

You guys are nuts, you know that don't you. lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    You guys are nuts, you know that don't you. lol3.gif
    This coming from the person w/ the avitar that makes them look like the craziest cat in here.rolleyes1.gif (j/k)
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    This coming from the person w/ the avitar that makes them look like the craziest cat in here.rolleyes1.gif (j/k)

Takes one to know one lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.