Options

A day in the life of dgrin! (an unofficial challenge)…

Comments

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    To rephrase someone elses words:

There's no such thing as a perfect photo. I know and accept this, but I do not let it get in the way of trying for one. :D

Karrie, don't worry about it, and give us what you got!
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    To rephrase someone elses words:

Karrie, don't worry about it, and give us what you got!

That goes for everyone! I would like to see everyone's photos wether you think you are proud of them or not. I just want to see what everyone's day was like. I'm curious about you all and am not looking to "judge" the photos that I see in this game. It is just for fun, as we have now came to the conclusion. deal.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    I got some interesting shots while in New Orleans. Both day and night.

Looking forward to this Saturday and the big reveal to see everyone else's stuff.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    I've got enough pictures for several threads I can't post because I want to reveal them in my Day in the life set first.

I can't wait for saturday! lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    GeekyGirlGeekyGirl Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    I intended to participate, and then totally forgot. rolleyes1.gif I look forward to seeing everyones photos. This sounded like a truly fun challenge.

Thanks to Paul for organizing the challenge!
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Throwing my hat in. Took 100 shots that day. Some turned out pretty good. (IMO ne_nau.gif ) lol
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Let’s set Saturday, April 19th as the “day” for the shoot and Saturday, April 26th as the day to begin the “Big Reveal”.<o:p></o:p>
    -paul

Paul are you going to have a new thread started for the big reveal this coming saturday?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Folks, looks like Nik decided to leak the reveal early this morning on this thread. My suggestion is to use that thread instead of starting another one.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    i would disagree highly on that.....(others may just pm mods, not me!, i will lay it out there)

i encourage everyone to re-read Pauls post #1 on this thread.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    Aaron, I'm with you on the reveal date. My suggestion to use that thread is mainly to have all the April 19 pics in one place.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    it just seems to me that its Pauls idea, i think Paul should get the 1st slot....:D
    i believe Nikolai started that thread for feedback he wanted...(which was discourged....but its not the end of the world right?:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Guys, I sincerely apologize, I phased out on the "big reveal" thing, treated it as a typical "no later than" deadline :bash :whip
    At least my shooting date was correct... rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2008
    Nikolai, the unfair part is the subjects you captured. my subjects like Pathfinder, Ian408, DavidTO and the gang just cant compete with that!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Nikolai, the unfair part is the subjects you captured. my subjects like Pathfinder, Ian408, DavidTO and the gang just cant compete with that!
    Well, maybe that's bikini thing, try to make them wear some of those next time mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Paul are you going to have a new thread started for the big reveal this coming saturday?

No worries on having slipped out an early reveal...it's all for fun anyway.

BUT - I would like to encourage all those who have not yet revealed their photos to wait until I post "The Big Reveal" thread this coming Saturday.

And it would be great if those who have revealed would repost thier photos to the "The Big Reveal' thread after it is started so that we have all of the photos in the same place.

Please remember that to keep things clean "The Big Reveal" thread is for your photos only...all the discussion should happen here in this thread, if that's not too cumbersome. I guess I just thought that it would be nice to have the reveal thread just for the photos to make it easier to see everyone's work without having to wade through all the comments and discussion.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    No worries on having slipped out an early reveal...it's all for fun anyway.

BUT - I would like to encourage all those who have not yet revealed their photos to wait until I post "The Big Reveal" thread this coming Saturday.

And it would be great if those who have revealed would repost thier photos to the "The Big Reveal' thread after it is started so that we have all of the photos in the same place.

Please remember that to keep things clean "The Big Reveal" thread is for your photos only...all the discussion should happen here in this thread.

thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Anyone feel like singing....

"Anticipation is keeping me waittttttinnnnngggggg...."rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 24, 2008

Please remember that to keep things clean "The Big Reveal" thread is for your photos only...all the discussion should happen here in this thread, if that's not too cumbersome. I guess I just thought that it would be nice to have the reveal thread just for the photos to make it easier to see everyone's work without having to wade through all the comments and discussion.
    I'm happy to merge or move, just let me know.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    Paul, that's a beautiful set of lighthouses. Love the color treatment and very appropriate framing. Outstanding.thumb.gif

Cuong
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    Paul, that's a beautiful set of lighthouses. Love the color treatment and very appropriate framing. Outstanding.thumb.gif

Cuong

Thanks Cuong!

Your shots are fantastic! Looks like a lot of fun. How do you get such clean images with an ISO of 3200? They are really nice.

I like the ones of the kids and the abstracts are a nice touch. Good eye.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    Thanks Cuong!

Your shots are fantastic! Looks like a lot of fun. How do you get such clean images with an ISO of 3200? They are really nice.

I like the ones of the kids and the abstracts are a nice touch. Good eye.

I used the digital noise removal feature of Paint Shop Pro X2. The original JPEG files were properly exposed so the noise wasn't that bad to begin with. I changed the camera format to jpeg to take a shot of the calibration target to use for the custom white balance. I forgot to set it back to raw format and didn't realize it till the end of the practice.

Cuong
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    I used the digital noise removal feature of Paint Shop Pro X2. The original JPEG files were properly exposed so the noise wasn't that bad to begin with. I changed the camera format to jpeg to take a shot of the calibration target to use for the custom white balance. I forgot to set it back to raw format and didn't realize it till the end of the practice.

Cuong

Well they sure turned out great! I haven't tried Paint Shop Pro. I might have to take a look at it.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Paul - your lighthouses are just stunning. I love the whole set. The processing with the frames and names is so nicely done. You could put a wonderful book together! Really a brilliant job.
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    hedlesshedless Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Nice job Cuong. Great action stills. Did it take you a lot of shots to filter through?

Paul, all I got to say is wow... priceless
    Sounds like a lot of driving, that many lighthouses in one day is amazing. Good choice on the antique effect.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Paul.
    When do you start the second challenge ? :Dmwink.gif
    thumb.gif

Beautiful lighthouse and pictures ... :Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Love the lighthouses Paul, wonderful stuff. You'll see that I failed miserably to upload my images to the thread and put a link to them in a gallery instead ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jrnylstjrnylst Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Okay, this dial-up connection is getting really frustrating!!! I started at 5:01 a.m., and one page is still loading an hour and a half later. Aargh!

Of the pictures I've been able to view so far, WOWIE!!! You guys rock!

I will comment more when I can get the pages to load a little more quickly. But what I've seen so far (the first ten shutterbugs) is terrific. Such amazing variety.

Paul, I, too, love your frames and sepia. Cuong and Eoren1, your photos bring back many happy memories. Excellent shots of the kiddos!

Faye, I especially loved your composite because I could view six photos in the same time it took for just one to load!!!

Travis, I love your butterfly. Hoofclix, your Carolina girls is my favorite! Hedless, you did great. Nice lines leading into the pictures. John, I know your photos are going to be awesome when I get to see them because everything you shoot is great. Virginia, you went all the way to Paris for a Day in the Life?!? Your story tops mine! (wink, wink) Wonderful journalistic shots.

Thanks, Paul, for motivating us!
    alias Snowcatcher, but still a jrnylst at heart
    http://snowcatcher.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Wow! Such great photos so far! :) I want to try to comment on them all, but I am guessing as more people wake up and start posting it's going to be tough to keep up!

Paul - Thanks so much for initiating this. It was soooo much fun!! Love your lighthouse photos and what you did to them to frame them, etc. So beautiful!!

Cuong - It's always fun taking photos of the kids, isn't it?? :) Great shots and I love the close-ups you took. Such neat angles.

hedless - What a beautiful place. Your photos make me want to hike on those trails!

Flyinggina - Great photos. :) I'm so shy about taking pictures in the streets of strangers. I really like the black and white ones.

faye - The first two are my favourites. And I've never looked at my dishwasher rack (?) from that angle before. Nice :)

eoren1 - Great shots of your kids! Even ordinary days can be beautiful :) I love the ones of them on the grass. It's great to see kids doing what kids do best - being goofy and just having a lot of fun.

Travis - What great events to stumble across!! :) I can't believe the beach wedding!! Great shots! I love the last one the best I think, but I really like the scene that you captured in the first one with the boy and his dad. (Oh...and the eye candy on the beach wasn't too hard to look at too. hehe) ;)

HoofClix - Sounds like it was a busy day! Nice shots of the horses and the activities of the day. Nice shot of the race winner and I love the one of the 5 girls in their pastel dresses :) What do they do when the jockeys need 'one more pound'? Does he have to stick some rocks in his pocket??

johnloguk - I love castles. I like the texture in the brick wall one and the watercolour effect is neat. :)

jrnylst - Beautiful! The Photo Quilt is really cool. I love it!

Mr. 2H2O - That really was some lasagna! OMG! Those kids! What a mess. Really nice shots of really messy kids!! :) Love the expression on the kid in #7.

tag - Welcome to DGRIN. :) Nice shots. I love kimonos. It looks like those drummers were really moving!

Can't wait to see more!!

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    lisap wrote:
    HoofClix - What do they do when the jockeys need 'one more pound'? Does he have to stick some rocks in his pocket??
    Precisely! In all handicap races, whether a chase or on a flat track, if a horse wins too much, they get "handicapped." There are pockets in the gear that hold weights to even them out.

Lots of great stuff in the threads. I'll be back later to comment on them all, but off to a show for now!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    fayefaye Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    So enjoying the series!
    This is so much fun to see the diverse directions everyone took on their Saturday!

Paul - Thanks for the idea! Your lighthouse series is awesome - all winning shots!

Cuong - I loved the gymnastics shots - good eye for details!

Hedless - Great shots - the second is my fave... magical light.

Virginia - What a fun view of a Paris Saturday!

eoren1 - Loely family day - well documented!

Travis - Wish I'd had your day! The Chevy truck is my fave!

Mark - Excellent coverage of the steeplechase activities!

jrnylst - Gorgeous scenes!

Mike - Looks like a fun day - mega lasagna and all!

Lisa - Beautiful images all!

Tag - Beautiful photos!

pyroprints - Weel done coverage of your day

Aaron - Stunning wedding shots

David - You captured the feeling of a cold day very well

Aaron N. - WOW! You had the best day!

Emily - A lovely family day

sherstone - Gorgeous images! My fave is #9 - stunning golds!

TPBinKC - Awesome color

Elaine - Great shots of the snowfall

Dwight - Looks like it was a beautiful day in the garden!

Winston - Love the B&W - great shots

Vandana - Stunning images all!

prvy - Excellent variety in your day
    Faye
    :ivar

blog ~ Galleries ~ Facebook