Options

> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, I know, I still don't like them in-camera jpegs.. Didn't have one for three years already, basically since getting my first DSLR...

Then it should be a good challenge for you. :D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    davev wrote:
    Then it should be a good challenge for you. :D
    I'm still gonna put my watermark on, so some PS is inevitable :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    Okay, let's not nitpick this one to death. Straight out of the camera means no post processing. If you feel you're shot is "straight out of the camera" by using any and all functions your camera has available, then great. That wouldn't be my personal interpretation, but the main point is getting it right when you pull the trigger, not "fixing it" afterwards. I'm not setting rules about RAW vs. jpeg, just go shoot, no pp, have fun and learn!

Filters and whatever processing is doable in the camera, right'o.

I belong to the club who shoots raw and sees pp as an essential part of the big picture (and I could nitpick this to death), but I'm game for one of these - just for the sake of trying once if nothing else.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    pyry wrote:
    Filters and whatever processing is doable in the camera, right'o.

I belong to the club who shoots raw and sees pp as an essential part of the big picture (and I could nitpick this to death), but I'm game for one of these - just for the sake of trying once if nothing else.
    Same here.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Sounds like this one will be an interesting one. I know you said no post processing, not even cropping, but can we size down the image (same aspect ratio and content, just not as many pixels tall and wide) so we don't have as big of an image to post? And are we allowed to put a watermark in the bottom right like normal?
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 24, 2008
    sdways01 wrote:
    Sounds like this one will be an interesting one. I know you said no post processing, not even cropping, but can we size down the image (same aspect ratio and content, just not as many pixels tall and wide) so we don't have as big of an image to post? And are we allowed to put a watermark in the bottom right like normal?
    I moved this post from the contest entry thread - as always, any comments posted in there run the risk of just being deleted.

thanks.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    sdways01 wrote:

Small watermark, yes. Reduce the size purely for posting, yes.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited September 27, 2008
    Hi guys,

Life has gotten a little too crazy for me and so I'm having to cut back here and there. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do full feedback anymore, and I may be checking PMs and posts less frequently. The good Doc is around as usual though and is willing to help.

So, be patient with me please, and support eachother by continuing to give great input in the feedback threads. thumb.gif Learning to look at others images and determine what it is about them that works for you is an extremely important part of photography. Speak up, and as long as you apply your best effort of tact, it will be received gratefully. For now, I will continue the offer to do feedback on an indiviual basis, but only if you PM me.

Loving you all, but having to put my family first. iloveyou.gif

Emily
    Emily

• Options
    Emily, you've given the community some much needed momentum. We thank you for all the hard work you've put in to get all the levels - participation, competition - up as high as they currently are.

clap.gif

I'm glad to see you sitting back on the couch with me a little bit more and letting the community grow on its own.

Pass the popcorn. :D
    Erik

• Options
    idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    Hi guys,

Life has gotten a little too crazy for me and so I'm having to cut back here and there. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do full feedback anymore, and I may be checking PMs and posts less frequently. The good Doc is around as usual though and is willing to help.

So, be patient with me please, and support eachother by continuing to give great input in the feedback threads. thumb.gif Learning to look at others images and determine what it is about them that works for you is an extremely important part of photography. Speak up, and as long as you apply your best effort of tact, it will be received gratefully. For now, I will continue the offer to do feedback on an indiviual basis, but only if you PM me.

Emily

You deserve it. :)

We certainly do appreciate all your efforts and invested time.
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    Hi guys,

Emily

As you should!! Your enthusiasm here is contagious - As Doc said, you've got things off to a great start with the new challenges and I'm sure things will continue on the path you've created. thumb.gif
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    Small watermark, yes. Reduce the size purely for posting, yes.

Any doubts can be settled by, when in doubt, having to supply the original file where the EXIF dates for picture taken and last modified date should equal the same. I actually uploaded the image directly from my card. I'll watermark it later mwink.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 30, 2008
    I am no doubt over thinking this...but I was not happy with my small signature mark that smugmug put on my entry. It took up half the bottom of the image and I couldn't get it to go any smaller. I usually mark my images in psp with a very small mark....and so I went ahead tonight and did that in psp. Now the exif on that image shows a modification date. My original without the mark done in psp is still in my album. I am not sure if I should remove the smugmug mark and just post without any signature or not. I really do not like my work out there without at least an attempt to protect it. Anyone have any idea if the exif modification date is going to be a really big deal? Should I post the exif to the original without the signature modification since technically its the same picture?
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    JAG wrote:
    Anyone have any idea if the exif modification date is going to be a really big deal? Should I post the exif to the original without the signature modification since technically its the same picture?

Without answering for Emily, I don't think it is going to be a major issue (we are all in the same situation and understand it) and I wouldn't bother woth the double post. I think that's going to the extreme and taking the restriction on no processing further than was probably intended.

As long as you don't modify the tone, contrast or elements of the image and the photograph itself is kept in line with the straight from camera idea, I don't think there will be any concern over the addition of a signatire or watermark that is in line with the rules.

I'm sure if there was any doubt, questions would be asked, but I really can't see this as being an issue.

I'm more concerned about this theme. It's killing me. I've been out every evening (my wife just loves that) and as many mornings as I can fit around work; and capturing something where all the elements come together hasn't been possible yet. I have a couple of really nice shots that could be good if I could process them, but with the restriction of dawn or dusk + no processing means I just haven't found the conditions I'm happy with yet within the time limits of the competition. If only I could write someone and ask them to give me some exceptional light so I can get the shots I want during this two weeks (well, just a few days left now). But if Murphy is alive and well, I'll get the perfect conditions next Monday...:D

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    Without answering for Emily, I don't think it is going to be a major issue (we are all in the same situation and understand it) and I wouldn't bother woth the double post. I think that's going to the extreme and taking the restriction on no processing further than was probably intended.

As long as you don't modify the tone, contrast or elements of the image and the photograph itself is kept in line with the straight from camera idea, I don't think there will be any concern over the addition of a signatire or watermark that is in line with the rules.

I'm sure if there was any doubt, questions would be asked, but I really can't see this as being an issue.

nod.gif
    I'm more concerned about this theme. It's killing me. I've been out every evening (my wife just loves that) and as many mornings as I can fit around work; and capturing something where all the elements come together hasn't been possible yet. I have a couple of really nice shots that could be good if I could process them, but with the restriction of dawn or dusk + no processing means I just haven't found the conditions I'm happy with yet within the time limits of the competition. If only I could write someone and ask them to give me some exceptional light so I can get the shots I want during this two weeks (well, just a few days left now). But if Murphy is alive and well, I'll get the perfect conditions next Monday...:D

Regards,

Peter

It ain't easy, is it? Remember the slide film days? Or maybe I'm just showing my age. :D Yeah, you could scan them and rework them, but you better be sure you got it right in the camera.
    Emily

• Options
    It ain't easy, is it? Remember the slide film days? Or maybe I'm just showing my age. :D Yeah, you could scan them and rework them, but you better be sure you got it right in the camera.

Yep, I remember slide days alright. I used to shoot a roll or two of slide film along side several dozen rolls of negative film a week (was doing this as recently as early 2005).

I guess the only difference in those days is that I had the luxury to wait for good conditions or go back time and again to capture the image I had pictured in my mind when everything came together. The response of film to color was a bit different to the response of a sensor also (I seem to remember colors really popping off velvia even when they weren't so saturated in reality - but that may be me just being nostalgic). Don't have that luxury now, so it's pushing me into some new approaches for the remainder of this week - although it's currently bucketing down with rain off the North Sea onto the coast of Holland, so no shooting today...:-(.

Regards,

Peter
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    well, Peter...im not sure what is worse...your issues of not getting conditions as you would like them or my issues of watching an amazing red sunset while im at work and cannot go anywhere with a camera...
    in fact ive seen three awesome sunrises/sunsets this week i could do nothing with because of this or that....ugh!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    well, Peter...im not sure what is worse...your issues of not getting conditions as you would like them or my issues of watching an amazing red sunset while im at work and cannot go anywhere with a camera...
    in fact ive seen three awesome sunrises/sunsets this week i could do nothing with because of this or that....ugh!

That's bad luck, but with your skill I'm sure you'll pull one out of the bag...
  • Options
    haha, thanks, btw it better happen soon, i still havent qualified for the next mega challenge:help
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    Thanks peter and emily for the confirmation. I was tired last night and having a hard time deciding what to do. So glad its not going to be an issue.

Peter I had to really stretch myself and pull out the ole D300 manual and get into submenus and everything! I know that its tough...but I learned alot on this round about my camera. Its amazing...I didn't realize how much I was leaning on pp to help my pics...but I can do quite a bit with the camera itself if I just take the time to learn its submenus. I have been pleased with the results. Hang in there...it will happen if you stick with it.thumb.gif
  • Options
    JAG wrote:
    Thanks peter and emily for the confirmation. I was tired last night and having a hard time deciding what to do. So glad its not going to be an issue.

Peter I had to really stretch myself and pull out the ole D300 manual and get into submenus and everything! I know that its tough...but I learned alot on this round about my camera. Its amazing...I didn't realize how much I was leaning on pp to help my pics...but I can do quite a bit with the camera itself if I just take the time to learn its submenus. I have been pleased with the results. Hang in there...it will happen if you stick with it.thumb.gif

That's the whole point of this round, so even before judging, you've done awesome! thumb.gif
    Emily

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins

Yeah, it certainly has put limitations on what's possible - but I guess that's what's meant to stretch everybody outside the comfort zone! :)

It's been unfortunate that in this area, after 2 weeks of GORGEOUS autumn weather, this past week has been horrid - yesterday and today were the only days where it wasn't actually throwing it down (see my first post for this challenge, in which I include a shot of us sitting in the car in the deluge.... we got something like 4" of rain in 18hrs or something like that!). The weather, the limited times of day which are thematic and real life commitments have made it tricky! (what, you mean I'm supposed to something OTHER than obsess about dgrin challenges?! :D)

One other thing that has been nagging at me (and please rest assured that this is ENTIRELY "in abstracto" musing, since I'm well aware that my n00b efforts aren't really competitive against the extraordinarily high standard in here!) is that without post processing, higher end equipment DOES have an edge. OF COURSE the most basic equipment can be put to fine use in skilled hands and produce stunning images, but it can't be denied that more profesional (and expensive!) gear will likely yield better results int his context, ie better high iso noise reduction, sharper lenses, more metering options in camera etc etc. Again, please understand that this is NOT a complaint (or even dodgy sportsmanship!) but simply thinking-out-loud ruminations (since it seems that this thread is the place for such things....)

All that said, I did want to offer a specific thank you TPTB and, in particular, the mods - Emily - of this challenge. Jumping in (thanks achambers!) has been pretty amazing at both a phototraphic and personal level. Not only am I learning SO MUCH about ... well, EVERYTHING (from lighting to camera functions, to how to get the most out of certain times of day, to local beauty spots to... well, you get my drift), but what was merely "of passing interest" has suddenly inspired *passion* and because I'm so keen to get out and shoot - and have managed to persuade my family to come with me - we've had some really enjoyable outings together that we probably wouldn't have otherwise. So, thank you for quite LITERALLY changing our lives! It's been very motivating, and I truly appreciate the generous community spirit which has encouraged my fledgling efforts as I try to 'learn by doing".

THANK YOU! clap.gif
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    I think I did something wrong. I put up a poll to help with deciding on an entry, but no results are showing. That along with no other polls in the last two pages leads me to believe I missed a discussion on using Polls. Is this true?
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    shatch wrote:
    I think I did something wrong. I put up a poll to help with deciding on an entry, but no results are showing. That along with no other polls in the last two pages leads me to believe I missed a discussion on using Polls. Is this true?

Yes. Polls were discouraged in favor of dialogue Shatch deal.gif
  • Options
    global Dgrin polling was adjusted to not allow viewing until end of term set prior to poll post.

in otherwords, you have to set a date to end, and there is no viewing until it ends.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    Thanks for the heads up dlplumber and the explanation Aaron. I pulled the images from my poll. Hopefully it will just roll off the page and into history.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    In straight out of camera challenge, I plan to load image to smugmug and link the L-Size in the thread.
    So Smugmug will do my resizing : Is it still within rules?
    Second aspect is use of filters like Polarizers ND.
    Is that allowed that filters are used and image straight out of camera is posted.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    In straight out of camera challenge, I plan to load image to smugmug and link the L-Size in the thread.
    So Smugmug will do my resizing : Is it still within rules?
    yes, of course
    Second aspect is use of filters like Polarizers ND.
    Is that allowed that filters are used and image straight out of camera is posted.
    straight out of the camera means you can do whatever you want to your camera, heck, put broken glass in front of the lens, kick out the jams! :D
    Erik

• Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    question?
    Wen does the next mega challenge begin? is Monday the 8th of October? or the 22nd?

Winston
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2008
    here is all of them, it crunch time for some of useek7.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101511
    Aaron Nelson