Options

> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I read it as either camera plus a lifetime account.
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Greensquared,

i thought i knew what i wanted, but now im wondering if i dont understand something....so before i make a mistake in choice
    can i get a clarification on this quote?

"Who wants a Nikon D300 or Canon 40D and a Lifetime SmugMug Pro Account? Play the Dgrin Challenges!"

i read it as:

a D300 (only) OR a canon 40D and lifetime smuggy.

but i believe its meant as "either" camera "and" lifetime account.

ne_nau.gif thanks, Me

Yes, you get your choice of the above cameras, plus a lifetime Smuggy.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    ok, great i was just making sure i didnt make a wrong choice because that lifetime account sure adds up....
    though its very hard to imagine 10yrs from now....look at whats changed in the last 10....mind bogglinginging

A
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2008
    Oh man, I was hoping we'd beat the record on DSS entries with this one. It currently stands at 83. Will there be 14 more to come, or will we fall short???

:lurk

(Yeah, I really do want to write that many reviews!)
    Emily

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    I think the double-whammy (theme + processing requirement) might have just hit some people so hard they're still knocked out. mwink.gif I'm sure they'll regain consciousness for the next round.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I think the double-whammy (theme + processing requirement) might have just hit some people so hard they're still knocked out. mwink.gif I'm sure they'll regain consciousness for the next round.

The back corner of my mind is doing a very good old geezer impersonation going "Only to be knocked out again!" lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2008
    Oh man, I was hoping we'd beat the record on DSS entries with this one. It currently stands at 83. Will there be 14 more to come, or will we fall short???

:lurk

(Yeah, I really do want to write that many reviews!)

I think I just counted to 85. clap.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I think I just counted to 85. clap.gif

Yep, woohoo! :ivar
    Emily

• Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    86 now, good luck everyone.:D

g
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    I'm really liking the #8 challenge, weathered or polished.

I can take a picture of my forehead and get both.:D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    davev wrote:

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    davev wrote:

rolleyes1.gif :giggle
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2008
    Critiques on black and white conversion
    scas sent me a PM questioning why there were no critiques on the black and white conversion techniques used. I am not an expert on the multitude of conversion techniques and would never pretend to be.

Although it will have no effect on the judging results, it would be great if we could all learn from this exercise. Is there anyone out there who does consider themselves qualified in this area enough to pull several of the best converted entries for technical discussion?
    Emily

• Options
    no way...its all in taste, there is no right way.....there are to many variables and end results due to slight adjustments made....

if there is someone that wants technical help there is a forum for that right...?.

give me a raw file and i will treat it the way i like it and i would guess that it changes image by image...i would even show the procedure, but give the same file to someone else and you will get a complete different look and a different procedure....

in my B+W shot i concentrated on the hard light luminace levels....
    for a different image look may be completely wrong for it imo.....and again it all has to do with MY taste...

so to sum up, i dont think that is possible from anyone. i think the best one can do is say i like or not....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    oh, and whos to say there was a conversion post process in the first place....
    who did B&W in camera?....impossible to know that kind of stuff...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    All good points, Aaron.
    Emily

• Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    scas sent me a PM questioning why there were no critiques on the black and white conversion techniques used. I am not an expert on the multitude of conversion techniques and would never pretend to be.

Although it will have no effect on the judging results, it would be great if we could all learn from this exercise. Is there anyone out there who does consider themselves qualified in this area enough to pull several of the best converted entries for technical discussion?

Maybe this could be approached in the form of a "behind the scenes" thread. I.E., make a thread encouraging people to discuss their method for getting to their B&W image. Perhaps also encourage people to ask questions about an image that intrigues them.
  • Options
    Halite wrote:
    Maybe this could be approached in the form of a "behind the scenes" thread. I.E., make a thread encouraging people to discuss their method for getting to their B&W image. Perhaps also encourage people to ask questions about an image that intrigues them.

That's a great idea. Who wants to start it? I still have 50 something entries to critique! :D
    Emily

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    I'm no expert at converting color shots to b&w, but I do use a technique that I feel does a good job.
    The tute is on my site, just click through the shots.

I made this tute in elements 4, but it works in most, if not all of the Photoshop programs.

Link
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Thanks Dave!
    Emily

• Options
    I started my B&W conversion for my entry at home. I went to my billiards club so I knew I had red walls and a green baize on the table. I chose a blue shirt - just so I could easily set all these black levels separately in post if I wanted to.

How's that for B&W technique lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited September 11, 2008
    ne_nau.gif I ran a Photoshop action for mine: http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm#BW_Conv

Then I tweaked it a bit.

My favorite is the Gorman BW action.
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2008
    Three more days to shoot guys. What do you think of the themes so far? Do you like them? Are they pushing you? I love (every other) Monday mornings and seeing what you guys have come up with. Well, at least until I have to choose just ten! lol3.gif
    Emily

• Options
    love the challenge!
    great themes....do you have them all mapped out for the year?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    love the challenge!
    great themes....do you have them all mapped out for the year?

Yes. Although I'm still considering replacing a couple of the more typical ones with some ideas I have brewing. mwink.gif
    Emily

• Options
    i won a mini-challenge and i have not looked at my challenge...not until the last day...its so hard to stay away!...that must drive you crazy to not see all the threads for the challenges!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    i won a mini-challenge and i have not looked at my challenge...not until the last day...its so hard to stay away!...that must drive you crazy to not see all the threads for the challenges!

I found that difficult to do too Aaron. Kinda makes ya feel left out huh? I discovered I could look at all the other boards during this time to distract me! I don't know how Emily does it.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    JAG wrote:
    I found that difficult to do too Aaron. Kinda makes ya feel left out huh? I discovered I could look at all the other boards during this time to distract me! I don't know how Emily does it.headscratch.gif

Ah well, I'm getting used to it, but it does get a bit lonely sometimes. Hence posts like these. :D
    Emily

• Options
    It does drive you crazy to not look at the contest thread. :crazy But it really is nice to see the entiies all at once just to have this reaction::jawdrop
  • Options
    achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Yes. Although I'm still considering replacing a couple of the more typical ones with some ideas I have brewing. mwink.gif

Sounds ominous.naughty.gif
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."