Options

> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    ilbcnu wrote:
    Do we still provide a title for the image? Could it be the lines of the poem?

Be sure to read Rule #10 in the DGrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules

You are instructed to have a unique name for your image.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    Be sure to read Rule #10 in the DGrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules

You are instructed to have a unique name for your image.

and one of the judges does not like the theme within the title!

not pointing fingers here....Emily!!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Thanks Halite & AaronNelson - I will title/name image
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    I am officially lodging an unofficially official protest to this challenge under the fact that it requires that I be able to read, let alone understand the content of such and then develop an interpretation. After 2 hours of fonetically pronouncing the first two sentences, my pounding headache has lead to blurred vision and a fear that I am going blind. I therefore am sueing dgrin and including defendents GreenSquared and Doc IT by name for my failure to be able to produce an image of of any substantive quality to be competitive in this DSS round. As a sign of my goodwill, humanity, and fair-minded lack of greed, I will consider settling out of court if I receive a $300 gift certificate to B&H Photo and a Lifetime pro Smugmug membership by the close of this week. deal.gif I am sorry that it has come to this but it is unfortunate that you have weighted this contest in favor of literate, educated participants in place of those of us that push buttons and make pretty paper. naughty.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I am officially lodging an unofficially official protest to this challenge under the fact that it requires that I be able to read, let alone understand the content of such and then develop an interpretation. After 2 hours of fonetically pronouncing the first two sentences, my pounding headache has lead to blurred vision and a fear that I am going blind. I therefore am sueing dgrin and including defendents GreenSquared and Doc IT by name for my failure to be able to produce an image of of any substantive quality to be competitive in this DSS round. As a sign of my goodwill, humanity, and fair-minded lack of greed, I will consider settling out of court if I receive a $300 gift certificate to B&H Photo and a Lifetime pro Smugmug membership by the close of this week. deal.gif I am sorry that it has come to this but it is unfortunate that you have weighted this contest in favor of literate, educated participants in place of those of us that push buttons and make pretty paper. naughty.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Interpret the poem, and post an image that represents YOUR interpretation.

Yep. thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited October 8, 2008
    and one of the judges does not like the theme within the title!

not pointing fingers here....Emily!!!!

Theme titles can really add to your image. If the theme is, say, "Blue", and we get 85 entries titled "Blue", what's the point? It neither identifies the image, nor adds to it. Uniquely naming your work is all part of the creative process, and I strongly encourage you to embrace it. :D
    Emily

• Options
    edited October 8, 2008
    Travis wrote:

You can't bully me into anything, ya know! I've got a wet noodle and I'm not afraid to use it! :whip In fact, I've got an uncooked one too! :thwak
    Emily

• Options
    WomanWithACameraWomanWithACamera Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    :D A Smile A Day...Keeps The Uglies Away. :D

http://annasphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Im alittle bit confused about this challenge. At first I thought the theme was illustrating text and that Greensquared just posted the Edgar Allen Poe poem as an example. Now i see "DSS # 10 Illustrated Text - A dream within a dream" Titled entry thread.
    Is it expected that we stick with illustrating that poem only, or can we illustrate any book/poem/text in general?
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    douglas wrote:
    Im alittle bit confused about this challenge. At first I thought the theme was illustrating text and that Greensquared just posted the Edgar Allen Poe poem as an example. Now i see "DSS # 10 Illustrated Text - A dream within a dream" Titled entry thread.
    Is it expected that we stick with illustrating that poem only, or can we illustrate any book/poem/text in general?

interpret the poem.

i was in the same boat as u.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=939174&postcount=324
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    Yes, the theme is to illustrate text, and you have been given specific text to illustrate. I realized it was a tad confusing as listed, so I changed the title "Illustrating Text" to include the poem title as well.
    Emily

• Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    somebody has a new avatar....thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    somebody has a new avatar....thumb.gif

Yeah, the last one was horrible, the one before that even worse. I might be able to live with this one for a little while.
    Emily

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Yeah, the last one was horrible, the one before that even worse. I might be able to live with this one for a little while.

Looks nice - I would like to see the original shot :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Looks nice - I would like to see the original shot :D

Oh, you mean the un-PS'd one? HA - Never! lol3.gif
    Emily

• Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    Oh, you mean the un-PS'd one? HA - Never! lol3.gif

I just meant something larger really :D
    I have a tendency to call final processed shots originals - the stuff that comes out of the camera is, well, raw.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    Oh, right, here ya go...:D

393446574_N4LiF-M.jpg
    Emily

• Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    Oh, right, here ya go...:D

Lovely!

That would have been fairly high up in Mini 7 thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    Oh now ya'll are just suckin' up to win brownie points.rolleyes1.gif
    Emily

• Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    Oh now ya'll are just suckin' up to win brownie points.rolleyes1.gif

I seem to recall that you view entries with just the pictures, no names.
    So you've already taken care of that :D

How many brownie points for a brownie? lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Ok thank you for clarification Aaron and Greensquared, I shall regroup.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    Oooo...low entry numbers and just a little more than a day to go. Have I really stumped you all that much this time, or are you all holding out to post of the last day? eek7.gif
    Emily

• Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    Oooo...low entry numbers and just a little more than a day to go. Have I really stumped you all that much this time, or are you all holding out to post of the last day? eek7.gif

There's an image in my head. I just need the weather to comply to get it out.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 18, 2008
    mmmmmm....brownies!
    :eat
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    So one of the entries I'm considering is something I shot on film while at Moab and had scanned. How might I hande the EXIF for this since there's really none to speak of? I could get quite a few people from the Moab shootout to attest they saw me with a Holga during that time, if that helps. :D
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 19, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    How might I hande the EXIF for this since there's really none to speak of?
    You couldn't and wouldn't. Sorry, it's a digital photography forum. Andy made this call during LPS.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Thanks, Erik! thumb.gif
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008

This has been the hardest round form the last 18 months - no doubt about it. But it's still fun - I thinkheadscratch.gifrofl
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Yes ma'am you certainly did stump a number of us. 15524779-Ti.gifrolleyes1.gif