• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    I've Searched high and low and cannot find my Answer:

Can I participate in the next Challenge after Winning the last one?

headscratch.gif

Thanks, and Happy Saturday!
    tom wise
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »

headscratch.gif

I think the only ones you can't participate in are ones you're judging or during a mega challenge that you are qualified for. All others are fair game.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    I think the only ones you can't participate in are ones you're judging or during a mega challenge that you are qualified for. All others are fair game.

Thanks!thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010

headscratch.gif

Yes! You are certainly able to participate in the next round. Congratulations again! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    I the last 23 hr vote the total was 68 votes but when you add up the votes it is about 497 headscratch.gif how is that ne_nau.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    jwear wrote: »
    I the last 23 hr vote the total was 68 votes but when you add up the votes it is about 497 headscratch.gif how is that ne_nau.gif

Because the 68 number, is the number of individual people who can vote for multiple choices. If all 68 individual voters chose 10 pictures as their top 10 then we would have 680 votes. Obviously not everyone chooses 10 images when they vote.

Hopefully that makes sense :D
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    Yes! You are certainly able to participate in the next round. Congratulations again! thumb.gif

Hey Sean, got it..and Thanks!

First time win.....I HAD to go back in time to revisit my last placing prior to Lace or Leather.....DSS 17: Hair. And Viewed that Lovely Medusa Winning entry again too!thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I was wondering if anybody here has ever wished they could enter a photograph of theirs that they thought it was great in a challenge without worrying about whether it fits the theme of the challenge or not. I personally have many times. I wish we had one theme-free challenge between every 2 consecutive mega-challenges. This way, one can only focus on the technicality/composition/lighting/etc instead of trying to focus so much on what to come up with in order to fit the theme. A challenge like this will also produce a great collection of awesome work too because the photographers will mainly focus on producing great pictures instead of trying to stay restricted within the theme. The attendance will increase as well. Be free, open yourself up, don't worry about a theme, just produce a great photograph. Make the theme fit the photograph, not the photograph fit the theme. I'd like to propose a challenge like this once between every 2 consecutive mega-challenges. Too many great photographs go unnoticed because they didn't fit the theme and that is a shame! What do people think of this idea?
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    IIRC, this used to happen. It might have been in the mega-challenges though. ne_nau.gif.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Hi Allen, it may be a good idea... headscratch.gif

I think I remember one like this in (about) 2008. it was called something like "your best shot ever"... or similar

I didn't dare to participate, cause I was too much in the beginning of my photographic adventure :)

Personally, I'm scared about about not having a subject, because:

1. I don't know what to focus on...

2. Secondly, I'm afraid that people may say: - "oh,... this is all you best can do?"
    - which will discourage me for ever...

But that's just me of course, and I'm still a very beginner on this field rolleyes1.gif

BTW: are you in Italy?
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    I was wondering if anybody here has ever wished they could enter a photograph of theirs that they thought it was great in a challenge without worrying about whether it fits the theme of the challenge or not. I personally have many times. I wish we had one theme-free challenge between every mega-challenge. This way, one can only focus on the technicality/composition/lighting/etc instead of trying to focus so much on what to come up with in order to fit the theme. A challenge like this will also produce a great collection of awesome work too because the photographers will mainly focus on producing great pictures instead of trying to stay restricted within the theme. The attendance will increase as well. Be free, open yourself up, don't worry about a theme, just produce a great photograph. Make the theme fit the photograph, not the photograph fit the theme. I'd like to propose a challenge like this once between every mega-challenge. Too many great photographs go unnoticed because they didn't fit the theme and that is a shame! What do people think of this idea?

thumb.gif
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Allen, you know I agree with you.

I do think that it will be daunting for some people (like me!) to put up their 'best' against more seasoned folks' best photos.... but that's how we get better.

I would be pretty shy about it since I'm such a beginner, but I can see it as an awesome challenge theme. I'd force myself to participate.

In your vision of this, do you see us shooting-posting in threads for feedback-adjusting-entering.... or are you proposing just a straight line to the entry gallery?

I could learn a lot from posting a 'best shot' in the threads with the opportunity to act on the feedback I get to improve it into a final entry.

chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    Great idea Allen. I agree. I may not be able to compete against someone as talented as you but the concept for the challenge would force me to push myself. Many times the theme gives me an excuse either not to enter at all or to accept less than my best. I can always say 'I really couldn't execute the idea I had' or 'hey it's the best I can come up with for the theme'. But no theme at all takes all those excuses away.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    Dave, don't sell yourself short. Your work is awesome!

Tina, I was thinking everything would stay the same, same C&C and everything, one thing you wouldn't have to worry about is whether your picture will fit the theme that is proposed to you.

I don't see why some people might shy away from this. This is not about your best shot ever taken, it is about a photograph that you have taken during the time of the challenge that you really love and would like to enter in a challenge. It perhaps won't be anybody's best shot ever (or if you are lucky, it could be), it will be their best shot during the 2-week period of the challenge. If somebody is into landscape, let them go photograph a landscape, if somebody likes portraits, let them go photograph a portrait, you like stock photography, do that, photojournalism? By all means. It will give everybody unlimited opportunities doing whatever they want without worrying about doing what the theme wants them to do and one can learn a great deal from it. The entries should increase and it should result in quite a nice gallery. I am for it and I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to give this a try as long as it is kept in moderation like I said once between every 2 consecutive mega-challenges. Would that be 4 times a year?

The entries have decreased significantly in the past few months and I feel like these challenges need some changes in order for them to draw more people in.
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    The entries have decreased significantly in the past few months and I feel like these challenges need some changes in order for them to draw more people in.

I'd be interested in knowing why that is in general...but don't know if folks would be willing to say!
    tom wise
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I know I don't participate as much as I'd like because the pace is to frenetic for me to keep up with-- but I'm sure others are invigorated by the fast pace of the challenge. (And yeah, I know, it only takes 1/60th of a second or whatever to take a picture. rolleyes1.gif.)
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I think this is an interesting idea. Maybe make it a SOOC challenge?

I have also noticed the participation dropping off. I know several people who used to play regularly have mentioned being busy. Maybe without a theme, they will come back.

I have felt that some of my best shots are not making it to the challenges due to not fitting the theme. I do continue to participate even when my time is limited, because I get a lot out of shooting to the theme. For me part of the challenge is the theme, but I am open to having a wide open challenge once in a while.
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    Dave, don't sell yourself short. Your work is awesome!

Tina, I was thinking everything would stay the same, same C&C and everything, one thing you wouldn't have to worry about is whether your picture will fit the theme that is proposed to you.

I don't see why some people might shy away from this. This is not about your best shot ever taken, it is about a photograph that you have taken during the time of the challenge that you really love and would like to enter in a challenge. It perhaps won't be anybody's best shot ever (or if you are lucky, it could be), it will be their best shot during the 2-week period of the challenge. If somebody is into landscape, let them go photograph a landscape, if somebody likes portraits, let them go photograph a portrait, you like stock photography, do that, photojournalism? By all means. It will give everybody unlimited opportunities doing whatever they want without worrying about doing what the theme wants them to do and one can learn a great deal from it. The entries should increase and it should result in quite a nice gallery. I am for it and I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to give this a try as long as it is kept in moderation like I said once between every 2 mega-challenges. Would that be 4 times a year?

This seems like a great way to mix things up in the Challenges. I would hope that people aren't scared away by the idea that such a Challenge would require their BEST SHOT EVER. Instead, it's really an opportunity to shoot what you love and share it with a group of like-minded digital artists.

It's kind of like a photographic pot-luck dinner: just cook up something tasty you would like to share with the group! It doesn't have to be gourmet, just as good as you can possibly homecook it in the two week Challenge period. Green jello with peas, anyone? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    Halite wrote: »
    This seems like a great way to mix things up in the Challenges. I would hope that people aren't scared away by the idea that such a Challenge would require their BEST SHOT EVER. Instead, it's really an opportunity to shoot what you love and share it with a group of like-minded digital artists.

It's kind of like a photographic pot-luck dinner: just cook up something tasty you would like to share with the group! It doesn't have to be gourmet, just as good as you can possibly homecook it in the two week Challenge period. Green jello with peas, anyone? rolleyes1.gif

Love the comparison! Now I'm hungry, lol!!! rolleyes1.gif
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I think this is an interesting idea. Maybe make it a SOOC challenge?

But the whole point of this is to not force ANY restrictions (well except for nudity, borders, etc, maybe). SOOC will defeat the whole purpose of this. Be free, "do whatever you want" is the point here.
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    . Be free, "do whatever you want" is the point here.

And could be the Theme: What-Cha Got?
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    And could be the Theme: What-Cha Got?

sounds good to me :D
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    I think you are right Allen, in fact change is good and why not? ne_nau.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I don't have much opportunity to take shots other than the challenge photos. There isn't much here in my over-populated suburban area. I wouldn't have a chance.

I love the themes, but hey, whatever works.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    I like Allen's idea. And will likely give it a try and see what kind of response we get. :D
    Thanks for your suggestion. thumb.gif
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    But the whole point of this is to not force ANY restrictions (well except for nudity, borders, etc, maybe). SOOC will defeat the whole purpose of this. Be free, "do whatever you want" is the point here.

I hear you. My thought was that SOOC might draw in folks who are pressed for time.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    I like this ideathumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    I don't have much opportunity to take shots other than the challenge photos. There isn't much here in my over-populated suburban area. I wouldn't have a chance.

I love the themes, but hey, whatever works.

You say that Sandy, and when you do I automatically think of several things one could shoot, even if confined to their home!

There is little doubt in my mind of your creativity, so I think you'd have an equal chance to get something that inspires you!

Have you talked to your Slinky's about this?:D
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    You say that Sandy, and when you do I automatically think of several things one could shoot, even if confined to their home!

There is little doubt in my mind of your creativity, so I think you'd have an equal chance to get something that inspires you!

Have you talked to your Slinky's about this?:D

15524779-Ti.gif

If your creations in the imposed rules were so wonderful, the "free style" should not hold you back.

The biggest difficulty in this (from my point of view) would be to choose your own theme - :D

* Being under the Gemini sign, for me it's always very difficult to make a decision rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com