Geometric or Fluid
    headscratch.gif

thinking...thinking...thinking...
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 19, 2008
    Mr. DoctorIT

I can see the number count on the winning photos poll thread, but l cant seem to open it to see who voted for whomne_nau.gif
    Yes, that's right. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    I don't even let my wife in my voting booth. rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    k, i guess you knew this was coming next....

i just would like to know....
    Oh fine, full disclosure of everything and more:

There is an option to have a fully "public" voting poll, wherein every voter and their choice would be displayed. Not only do I think this would make for a ridiculously messy thread (imagine a list of 200 votes and usernames, blech!), but it would also do nothing but (1) hurt feelings and (2) discourage shy voters. Bad on both accounts. So yes, this is by design. Only I and other administrators can see the votes.

As for screening: no, we don't do any. Voting is open to all DGrin members, regardless of post count, disposition, color, political views, and shoe size.
    Erik

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    delete, delete...i was never here...you saw nothing....noooottthhhing...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    <TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">fashiznitsngrins - Pooh Bear’s Shopping List </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">bar2-l.gifbar2.gifbar2-r.gif </TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>31</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>24.60%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    the number 31 would be a link leading to a list of who voted for who, but yeah, I wouldn't vote unless I was a judge.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    feathered and scaled
    I must be obsessed. I had a dream last night brought on by Dgrin…
    A friend of mine has got a lot of snakes, I have been thinking about photographing one of his snakes for this challenge. But have been hesitant about it because I feel it may lack creativity.
    Anyhow, last night I had a dream that he called me and told me his snakes got loose. By the time I got to his house the snakes were all over the place. The most venomous snake went next door into a pool. The snake was swimming around in the pool when I noticed that the bottom of the pool was full of leaves. The leaves had settled at the bottom in a feathered pattern. The snake had curled up at the bottom of the pool on top of the leaves. I thought O wow! Scales and feathered together in one shot. So I was looking at the scene and I was thinking about how I was going to expose the photo and I thought man, I really need a polarizer to cut through the water reflection. Then my friend came up to me and asked what I was doing. I told him about the challenge and what I saw in front of me. Then he told me he didn’t know if I could do it because it would take a professional. I was thinking to myself…I can do this, what is he talking about…
    That is all I remember…so docs… what do you think…obsessed??? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:

rolleyes1.gif Totally!!!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif Totally!!!

I second that motion....clap.gif:D
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:
    I must be obsessed. I had a dream last night brought on by Dgrin…
    A friend of mine has got a lot of snakes, I have been thinking about photographing one of his snakes for this challenge. But have been hesitant about it because I feel it may lack creativity.
    Anyhow, last night I had a dream that he called me and told me his snakes got loose. By the time I got to his house the snakes were all over the place. The most venomous snake went next door into a pool. The snake was swimming around in the pool when I noticed that the bottom of the pool was full of leaves. The leaves had settled at the bottom in a feathered pattern. The snake had curled up at the bottom of the pool on top of the leaves. I thought O wow! Scales and feathered together in one shot. So I was looking at the scene and I was thinking about how I was going to expose the photo and I thought man, I really need a polarizer to cut through the water reflection. Then my friend came up to me and asked what I was doing. I told him about the challenge and what I saw in front of me. Then he told me he didn’t know if I could do it because it would take a professional. I was thinking to myself…I can do this, what is he talking about…

Not at all - the bream just proves that you are a normal DGrin Challenge participant. Believe me you have nothing to worry about, welcome to the club :D
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    :DLaughing.gif

I can live with obsessed. At least it is a fun fun fun hobby to be obsessed with.

Looking forward to seeing all your entries...and figuring out what mine will be...:D
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Challenge 2.3 almost at a close
    Hi guys!

Oh man, I can't wait to see what you all came up with for this one. I'm expecting some awesome shots (as always!).

Remember to try and not use the theme as your title. Be creative with it, as it can really help push your shot further. Personally, I don't read any other supporting text, so if the image doesn't speak the theme on its own (with minor help from a title if necessary), then I'm not likely to "get it".

Best of luck to you all...I'm SO looking forward to Monday. iloveyou.gif

Emily
    Emily

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    These things are great for a little added motivation. I ended up shooting a whole second session yesterday where I got seven high-quality images clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    A little bit of shaking up in the works... see the announcement.
    Erik

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Question on Challenge 2.4
    Some filters are more subtle than others. Do you need us to mention in our entry the type of filter that we used?
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Some filters are more subtle than others. Do you need us to mention in our entry the type of filter that we used?

Hi Linda,

I say sure, go for it. I'm even willing to see a link attached to a "without filter" image (but please don't post it in the entry thread). I'll be following threads and reading supporting details from now on, there's no good way to avoid it. You guys are just going to have to trust me to make good, honest, unbiased judgments. :D

Emily
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    Thanks, Emily. thumb.gif

Rather than posting a link to the original, perhaps a better idea would be to have a post-challenge thread showing the original with a link to the entry. That in and of itself ought to be an interesting thread. Folks whose pics do not get selected for the final should not shy away from that. (I wanna see 'em all. :D ) This is going to be a fun and interesting challenge.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Thanks, Emily. thumb.gif

Rather than posting a link to the original, perhaps a better idea would be to have a post-challenge thread showing the original with a link to the entry. That in and of itself ought to be an interesting thread. Folks whose pics do not get selected for the final should not shy away from that. (I wanna see 'em all. :D ) This is going to be a fun and interesting challenge.

Sounds good!
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Thanks, Emily. thumb.gif

to my understanding this wouldn't work for all the entries though because the challenge is for all filters and with on camera ones the original image capture would include the filtered results
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    to my understanding this wouldn't work for all the entries though because the challenge is for all filters and with on camera ones the original image capture would include the filtered results

headscratch.gifCan't you just compose one photo without a filter and then screw on a filter or switch on an in-camera one for the rest of your attempts? mwink.gif
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    headscratch.gifCan't you just compose one photo without a filter and then screw on a filter or switch on an in-camera one for the rest of your attempts? mwink.gif

That would work for the stationary subjects, have to be awful quick for the moving targets!
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    That would work for the stationary subjects, have to be awful quick for the moving targets!

Not to mention that it would be very time consuming to do that between every shot you make, plus I would need a place to put the holder/square filters I use which isn't always available
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008

There's no requirement to post a "without filter" image. That part would be optional.
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    A word about judging
    For any of you who might shy away from the new Dgrin Challenges because you don't want to judge, I want to make a couple of points:

1) Anyone who has ever done it will tell you it is not as easy as you might think, however, they learn and grow tremendously from it.

2) You will better understand how the judging system works and will be left with fewer thoughts such as "how in the heck did that get through when mine didn't?". You realize more how subjective it is, and how the judge's decisions have less to do with you personally than you might have thought.

3) It's a great service to give back to this awesome community!
    Emily

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    There's no requirement to post a "without filter" image. That part would be optional.
    Forgive me for NOT posting my "without filter" version mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Emily, for the Mega Final Challenge's, will those have a theme?
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    davev wrote:
    Emily, for the Mega Final Challenge's, will those have a theme?

Yep! No one gets to plan two months ahead here. :D

From the Rules:
    "Once, roughly every quarter, the top 5 winners from each round will be eligible to play in a themed Mega-Challenge. This Mega-Challenge will be judged by a panel to determine the winner. At the same time, the first round for the next quarter will begin, and ONLY non-Mega-Challenge players may compete in this round."
    Emily

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Forgive me for NOT posting my "without filter" version mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to insist :heh
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I'm afraid I'm gonna have to insist :heh
    B-boyrolleyes1.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"