Options

> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Ohhh booyyyy!!!!
    Is it just me ne_nau.gif or have the entries improved all the sudden headscratch.gif
    I wonder why mwink.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Is it just me ne_nau.gif or have the entries improved all the sudden headscratch.gif
    I wonder why mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    9496500-Ti.gif :eat :D

They really need a "drool" smiley...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:
    I wonder why mwink.gif
    LPS crowd woke up and smelled the coffee:-) deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    I missed out on the whole LPS craze. Got here in time for round 20. Of course at the time, I was fresh to the site, had only had my D40 for 2 weeks. But I threw myself in and was ready to learn. Posted and got comments. Then... the wait. ne_nau.gif I am so happy to see the challenges again. My hope is to participate in every one. I may not win, I probably will not get in the top 10 rolleyes1.gif but the comments and critique on the last round, I learned and to me that is exciting. :ivar And who knows. Maybe, I might just get lucky one of the times. deal.gif
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    tamplum wrote:
    I missed out on the whole LPS craze. Got here in time for round 20. Of course at the time, I was fresh to the site, had only had my D40 for 2 weeks. But I threw myself in and was ready to learn. Posted and got comments. Then... the wait. ne_nau.gif I am so happy to see the challenges again. My hope is to participate in every one. I may not win, I probably will not get in the top 10 rolleyes1.gif but the comments and critique on the last round, I learned and to me that is exciting. :ivar And who knows. Maybe, I might just get lucky one of the times. deal.gif

Sounds about like me. nod.gif I love the feedback, too.

You'll get there - I did. My first pro glass was lent to me by a Canon rep at an airshow. I shot with the 100-400 all day and entered my photo on a whim and won.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    Sounds about like me. nod.gif I love the feedback, too.

You'll get there - I did. My first pro glass was lent to me by a Canon rep at an airshow. I shot with the 100-400 all day and entered my photo on a whim and won.

lol so does it get less intimidating? eek7.gif
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    tamplum wrote:

Nope.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    tamplum wrote:

Even when I knew the pic was good, I still felt like a doofus.

It's like becoming an adult. As a teen, you can't wait to get older to make decisions - be your own boss, choose your own choices. However, when ya get there, you don't *feel* like an adult. Hell, you don't even realize it until your talking to someone and a light bulb goes off over your head and you're thinking, crap! my mother used to tell me this stuff.

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    lol great. So I am becoming my mother.

These challenges are great though, because I am constantly thinking: how can I make THAT into a picture and what approach should I take. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    tamplum wrote:
    lol great. So I am becoming my mother.

These challenges are great though, because I am constantly thinking: how can I make THAT into a picture and what approach should I take. thumb.gif
    I wish I was at that point. I just keep staring at stuff like a monkey doing a math problem. :bluduh
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    I wish I was at that point. I just keep staring at stuff like a monkey doing a math problem. :bluduh

:giggle That would make an awesome picture...
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    :giggle That would make an awesome picture...

Oh, gee... thanks. blbl.gif

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:

Now how to do that with a filter? mwink.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    tamplum wrote:
    Now how to do that with a filter? mwink.gif
    Easy: promise to give it to monkey if it solves the math problem deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

lol lol troll.gifgoodpost.gifbluesbros.gif

If she can get the monkey to figure it out. I think he deserves the filter. lol
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

lol3.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    RE: Challenge 2.4
    I see at least one photo with a full watermark, and a few with smallish ones. There is also one with a border/edge/frame. There were two DQ'd for exif date issues. I am curious whether the rules on frames and watermarks has been abandoned?

Did I miss a rule change?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I see at least one photo with a full watermark, and a few with smallish ones. There is also one with a border/edge/frame. There were two DQ'd for exif date issues. I am curious whether the rules on frames and watermarks has been abandoned?

Did I miss a rule change?ne_nau.gif

No, not at all. I have DQ'd the one with a border and will be looking at watermarks next. I've gotta be tough on this one guys, and it's tearing me up. PLEASE READ THE RULES!!!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    One more question regarding rules....and this more so involves my own interpretation ....

If a texture is used, my interpretation is that the image is now a composite. As a composite, would the EXIF for the texture have to be freshly shot to fit the date requirements?....and if not....does the texture have to belong to me, or could I have used a texture that I downloaded somewhere....anywhere?

My current interpretation is that I would have had to have also shot the texture, and within the date window of the particular challenge....since I view it as a composite.

Where do we stand on that?
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    I had a thought,
    May not be popular or feasible, but, I have always felt a bit torn when voting. Some images that appear very popular in feedback threads get very few votes in the contests. I wonder if there would be a way to vote for your top 3 or something, and the one you rank as #1 gets more points toward the vote than the one you put as #3. I think this could allow votes for more than one image that we feel is strong. This way when I am torn between multiples, they can all be rewarded. Also, there may be one image that rankes #2 or #3 for lots of people but they don't get many votes because they are not #1.

Seems like it could fit if the top 5 get to move to the next round.

Dunno - just an idea.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Jeff,
    no time to find quote from doctorit.

something like this.

every part of the photo must be fresh.

so, i (aaron) see that as every layer to every pixel.

and everypart of the photo must be original!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    Jeff,
    no time to find quote from doctorit.

something like this.

every part of the photo must be fresh.

so, i (aaron) see that as every layer to every pixel.

and everypart of the photo must be original!!

nod.gif It's in the rules. We are not currently asking for all EXIFs at the time of entry, but reserve the right to request them if we have a question.
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    I had a thought,
    May not be popular or feasible, but, I have always felt a bit torn when voting. Some images that appear very popular in feedback threads get very few votes in the contests. I wonder if there would be a way to vote for your top 3 or something, and the one you rank as #1 gets more points toward the vote than the one you put as #3. I think this could allow votes for more than one image that we feel is strong. This way when I am torn between multiples, they can all be rewarded. Also, there may be one image that rankes #2 or #3 for lots of people but they don't get many votes because they are not #1.

Seems like it could fit if the top 5 get to move to the next round.

Dunno - just an idea.

The judges provide a shortlist. You pick your favorite one from that list. The top five "favorites" in each round get a prize and move onto the quarterly Mega-Challenge. Despite how many you might feel are strong, you can always select which you feel is the BEST.
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    nod.gif It's in the rules. We are not currently asking for all EXIFs at the time of entry, but reserve the right to request them if we have a question.

OK. My interpretation seems to be in line with yours. I was just curious.

Thanks!:D
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    MOD QUESTION --- I shot a photo tonight that I would like to enter into the newest contest, the problem is that I used my mentor's camera and in the EXIF data he has his name in there.... I can't change it now, and he is able to "vouch" that I shot the photo (he has a SM site of his own if you need to reach him)... Can I still enter it?

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Tdcompton wrote:
    MOD QUESTION --- I shot a photo tonight that I would like to enter into the newest contest, the problem is that I used my mentor's camera and in the EXIF data he has his name in there.... I can't change it now, and he is able to "vouch" that I shot the photo (he has a SM site of his own if you need to reach him)... Can I still enter it?

ne_nau.gif

nod.gif Especially since you've mentioned the discrepancy ahead of time, yes, absolutely. We have to trust everyone here that they are only entering they're own work.
    Emily

• Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Thank you, I appreciate that... I don't think I stand a chance against the "big guns" here but I figure it couldn't hurt to try!
    :giggle
  • Options
    TheHouseCatTheHouseCat Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2008
    Watermarks
    No, not at all. I have DQ'd the one with a border and will be looking at watermarks next. I've gotta be tough on this one guys, and it's tearing me up. PLEASE READ THE RULES!!!
    I am sorry to say that I am one of the ones to post a photo with a watermark in the last contest. I my defense I have to say that I felt lucky to even get the picture to post...Laughing.gif...I am completely dumb when it comes to the computer stuff! I won't even admit to how long it took me to get the photo to show up and then I had to go back and insert the EXIF information. I did read the rules and I'm sorry I forgot...but...I did.:confused Hopefully I'll learn how to get it all done in the future. Sorry guys! Newbie genes! Thanks for putting up with us...
    Val
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 30, 2008
    Rules wrote:
    Photos with branding or watermarks will be disqualified, however, a small signature and copyright are encouraged.

I read that small watermarks are ok...is my signature that I mark all my images with small enough? Or should I do something different? example...
    333729561_Ptuns-M-1.jpg

Please let me know asap cause I really do want to be within the limit of this with my entries.ne_nau.gif