> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    I read that small watermarks are ok...is my signature that I mark all my images with small enough? Or should I do something different? example...
    333729561_Ptuns-M-1.jpg

Please let me know asap cause I really do want to be within the limit of this with my entries.ne_nau.gif

Yes, that's fine.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Just a random (sigh) I have no idea what to do this time around. Primary OR Pastel?? I see limitless options and the ability to take it many directions, but for some reason -- my brain is not wrapping itself around it like in other rounds. Anyone else want to admit photographers block? lol
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    tamplum wrote:
    Just a random (sigh) I have no idea what to do this time around. Primary OR Pastel?? I see limitless options and the ability to take it many directions, but for some reason -- my brain is not wrapping itself around it like in other rounds. Anyone else want to admit photographers block? lol

I would say from last years competition that the more options a theme had, the more photographers block seemed to affect me.

In my case the initial reaction was "great I can shoot anything!" but after a while my thoughts turned "so...what can I shoot". The end result was nearly always a rushed shot with no results.

It's so important to focus on a few choices - and I would also suggest something that you are relatively strong at, unless you wanted to use the round for experimentation.

Good luck and hope the block is lifted soon.

Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Just wondering whether a single stickied thread for the Dgrin challenge info would be worth considering?

Ppl would then only have to be pointed to a single destination - where all aspects were covered

Inside this (thread) would be Headlined links to the relevant sections -

Rules
    Prizes
    Current challenge
    Voting for previous round
    Discussion
    Past challenge details - entries / finalists / winners etc
    Calender

(or whatever titles mods deem suitable ...)

(split past challenge + calender from rules in effort to keep rules thread as clear as poss)

... and any other relevant topic that might crop up.

Since edits don't seem to bump threads, then Rules will currently always be last of the stickied threads ...

Just a thought :)

pp
    edited July 31, 2008
    Just wondering whether a single stickied thread for the Dgrin challenge info would be worth considering?

Ppl would then only have to be pointed to a single destination - where all aspects were covered

Inside this (thread) would be Headlined links to the relevant sections -

Rules
    Prizes
    Current challenge
    Voting for previous round
    Discussion
    Past challenge details - entries / finalists / winners etc
    Calender

(or whatever titles mods deem suitable ...)

(split past challenge + calender from rules in effort to keep rules thread as clear as poss)

... and any other relevant topic that might crop up.

Since edits don't seem to bump threads, then Rules will currently always be last of the stickied threads ...

Just a thought :)

pp

Aha...it's already in the works. thumb.gif
    Emily

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Ok, so i dont know if this would be a lot of trouble or not, but here's my thought on the voting polls.

When putting up the poll and the voting thread, I wonder if it would be better to remove the username of the person who submitted the photo.

Basically to kind of try and curb votes for people instead of images (I am not saying people do/have done this, just something I could see happening).

Of course the link on the image would still go back to the entry thread and you wouldn't be trying to hide identity of the person who shot it - just for the poll/vote iteself it makes sense to me to remove the usernames.

ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
    edited August 1, 2008
    Aha...it's already in the works.

I love the new rules thread, looks great and easy to read and find the info.thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
    edited August 1, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Ok, so i dont know if this would be a lot of trouble or not, but here's my thought on the voting polls.

When putting up the poll and the voting thread, I wonder if it would be better to remove the username of the person who submitted the photo.

Basically to kind of try and curb votes for people instead of images (I am not saying people do/have done this, just something I could see happening).

Of course the link on the image would still go back to the entry thread and you wouldn't be trying to hide identity of the person who shot it - just for the poll/vote iteself it makes sense to me to remove the usernames.

ne_nau.gif

I've got to agree with the Great Shay Stephens on that one. If you were presenting a portfolio to someone for a job/project/whatever, your personality does play a part also. Yes, your work can be stellar, but if you're a rotten person to work with, no one's going to hire you.

I really feel that this crowd totally gives credit where credit is due. The judging format will remain as it is.
    Emily

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    note to self : be nicer. dont argue. smile alot.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 1, 2008
    I've got to agree with the Great Shay Stephens on that one. If you were presenting a portfolio to someone for a job/project/whatever, your personality does play a part also. Yes, your work can be stellar, but if you're a rotten person to work with, no one's going to hire you.

I really feel that this crowd totally gives credit where credit is due. The judging format will remain as it is.

Ok. Just thought I'd throw it out there:D
    ~ Lisa
    edited August 1, 2008
    note to self : be nicer. dont argue. smile alot.

That's the spirit! thumb.gif
    Emily

edited August 1, 2008
    ne_nau.gif im not serious...thats me just try'n to be funny.....

i should seriously consider stopping my attempts in sarcastic'ness.......
    i believe i am very misunderstood "in general" here in the contest forum.thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008

i believe i am very misunderstood "in general" here in the contest forum.thumb.gif

I found out a long time ago that I have even less comic talent online than I do in person.

Too bad I sometimes forget that fact....headscratch.gif :cry
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Maybe should've talked about this a little earlier, before the name change. The challenges should correctly be called "The DGrin Nicest Sharp Shooters Challenge" :Dclap.gif :ivar

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited August 2, 2008

Actually, I was being sarcastic too, but apparently that was totally lost as well. We need a sarcy smilie, yes?
    Emily

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Actually, I was being sarcastic too, but apparently that was totally lost as well. We need a sarcy smilie, yes?
    That's why Sheldon (of "The Big Band Theory" TV show) made and held "sarcasm" sign...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited August 2, 2008
    the other smily i want is the "hiting myself in the forehead" expression..like a Doh!.rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008
    the other smily i want is the "hiting myself in the forehead" expression..like a Doh!.rolleyes1.gif

11doh.gif

It's ok, I had to find that one earlier myself today.
    Emily

edited August 2, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif
    TPBinKC wrote:
    I found out a long time ago that I have even less comic talent online than I do in person.

Too bad I sometimes forget that fact....headscratch.gif :cry
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008
    You mean this one? :bash mwink.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Was the current challenge entry thread meant to be unstickied? headscratch.gif
    edited August 2, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    You mean this one? :bash mwink.gif

no, i talking more like a homer simpson slapping himself in the forehead with a Doh!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Was the current challenge entry thread meant to be unstickied? headscratch.gif

Yes, did you read the top thread that says: Another thing you need to read ?
    Emily

edited August 2, 2008
    Yeah, it's all great but I really think the current entry (or voting, whatever is actual) should be sticky, too...
    edited August 2, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, it's all great but I really think the current entry (or voting, whatever is actual) should be sticky, too...

Okay, so I've also been told that some people want the current polls stickied too. So in a Mega-Challenge round we have two entry threads and a poll all stickied. Leads us right back to the beginning. I know it's an adjustment, but I really want people going to this area to clearly see what else is going on, not just slap up an entry. It'll always be at the top of that post, and after I drop the notice, that post will always be at the top.
    Emily

edited August 2, 2008

I did, but for anyone new coming in, that doesn't seem the most logical place to find the entry thread. I just don't think having two clicks to get to the thread instead of one is the best solution.

No need for the current polls to be up there (they're easy to find with those poll icons), but the current entry thread? Yeah. One click. Clear label. Simple. (Besides, the current entry thread links back to all that stuff linking to it, so we're not losing the information tie-in.) thumb.gif
    edited August 2, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I did, but for anyone new coming in, that doesn't seem the most logical place to find the entry thread. I just don't think having two clicks to get to the thread instead of one is the best solution.

No need for the current polls to be up there (they're easy to find with those poll icons), but the current entry thread? Yeah. One click. Clear label. Simple. (Besides, the current entry thread links back to all that stuff linking to it, so we're not losing the information tie-in.) thumb.gif

Yes, well unfortunately the problem there lies (especially with over-anxious new people), as people jump in and enter without reading rules, then get terribly upset when they get DQ'd. And if they've never entered before, I would imagine a thread saying "Quick links to all things official" is pretty clear. I mean really, if you can figure out how to use a digital camera, is two clicks in a forum that much of a stretch?

I was told there are too many stickies and it was hard for newcomers to find ANYTHING that they needed. All the stickies but one are gone, and it doesn't take much to figure out that's the one you need.
    Emily

edited August 2, 2008
    But...but two stickies isn't cluttered! :giggle

Okay, I hear you. And I admire your perseverance and dedication. Seriously. bowdown.gif

I just remember when I jumped in new last year, I read that rules thread, in full, three times before entering--and then had it open in a separate tab as I was making my post to ensure I didn't eff anything up. So it's difficult for me to grasp that eagerness trumps exactness when a contest is involved. Then again, I'm an editor and thus anal by default. So I may never comprehend this. lol3.gif

I'm just gonna sit back and hope as the new crowd gets comfy, they'll also want the entry thread sticky back. mwink.gif
    edited August 4, 2008
    Question:???
    im not sure how all the legal stuff goes, but let me ask.

if a large portion on my entry photograph has a Coke-Cola sign in it, is it legal to enter it in this contest?

the only thing i think i know about this is that trademarks cannot be in photography and then sold....so is it ok to enter in contests?

any advice?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 4, 2008
    im not sure how all the legal stuff goes, but let me ask.

if a large portion on my entry photograph has a Coke-Cola sign in it, is it legal to enter it in this contest?

the only thing i think i know about this is that trademarks cannot be in photography and then sold....so is it ok to enter in contests?

any advice?

You mean, something like this? mwink.gif

22016043-L.jpg

(from this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=104747, gosh quite a while ago it was:-))