Options

The Catchall Thread

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 31, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Previous thread here :D

New Year, new thread!!! Happy New Year all - may 2009 treat you all well!!

Comments

• Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Best wishes for health and happiness to all in the new year. I for one am looking forward to what it might have to offer. Greet each day as if it is your last. Take pleasure in the things that seem small and insignificant. Smile at someone and see if you can get them to smile as well. And always remember, no matter how bad a day you are having, there is someone else having one that is even worse.

Peace, Rauha, Frieden, Paz, Fred, Paix, Mir, Vrede, Kapayapaan, Pace, Miers, Pokój, Hoà bình

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    2009 is looking great already! Clear skies, temperatures in the properly freezing zone... I was about done with the constant cloud cover anyway.

I'm putting a best of 2008 gallery together - and having a nice bit of trouble culling the sho..long list down to something viewable. Standing at 'bout 90.

Edit: is 89 too many?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    The new year here in the northwest is blissfully wet. Big surprise, eh? Happy first everyone!clap.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    It's done!

Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    It's done!

AWESOME!

You're inspiring me.... I don't know that I have a year's worth since the Total Obsession with Taking Pictures didn't really kick into full gear until about July, but .... headscratch.gif

Great gallery - thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    AWESOME!

Thank you :D
    divamum wrote:
    You're inspiring me.... I don't know that I have a year's worth since the Total Obsession with Taking Pictures didn't really kick into full gear until about July, but .... headscratch.gif

..but you should do it anyway. Enquiring minds you know thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    It's done!

Wow! Thank you for sharing. Many, many great images.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    It's done!

The shot of the kitten is amazing. My favorite, for sure. This should be green and Marco also tipped my meter. Thanks for the retrospective!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Wow! Thank you for sharing. Many, many great images.
    leaforte wrote:
    The shot of the kitten is amazing. My favorite, for sure. This should be green and Marco also tipped my meter. Thanks for the retrospective!

Thank you, let's see yours! :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    can someone tell me where 2008 went?ne_nau.gif

oh and pyry, nice!thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    can someone tell me where 2008 went?ne_nau.gif

oh and pyry, nice!thumb.gif

I think 2008 went to the pub.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    pyry wrote:

I think 2008 went to the pub.

If it did, it's one heck of a nasty drunk eek7.gif .
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 2, 2009
    Happy New Year everyone!! 2009 promises to be just as busy if not more than 2008! I guess its good when you keep busy huh?
    I took over 15,000 pictures in 2008. I have taken over 250 since the beginning of this year and we are only on day 2!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    If it did, it's one heck of a nasty drunk eek7.gif .

Surely it is possible it's there just to relax a bit over a pint after a very long shift :D
    JAG wrote:
    Happy New Year everyone!! 2009 promises to be just as busy if not more than 2008! I guess its good when you keep busy huh?
    I took over 15,000 pictures in 2008. I have taken over 250 since the beginning of this year and we are only on day 2!

That's a number I forgot to check. Looks like I managed just under 10k, which is twice more than 2007 :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I enjoyed looking thru your photos, they are all fantastic!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Just finished driving 1300+ miles from my home in KC to Kissimmee, FL... And the only picture I took was of a vehicle with Mexican license plates (from the Yucatan)...

Hopefully, I will get some opportunities over the 5 weeks that I'm here... :D
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    I enjoyed looking thru your photos, they are all fantastic!

Thanks!

I'm still hoping to see the rest of you put something together, come on now! thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    The length of the day has topped 6 hours up here.

HOPE! :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    The length of the day has topped 6 hours up here.

HOPE! :D

Yeah, but the payoff is you get midnight sun. AND the northern lights (can you tell I like northern climates!? I miss being in Scotland in the summertime!!)
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    At Pyry's urging, a 2008 collection of my own. Still a hodgepodge as I start to build a technique and - eventually - a "style", but kind of neat.

Gallery here (and THANK YOU again dgrin Challenges for my smugmug account - I love it!)

I didn't start seriously working on the technique stuff until I started regularly reading and posting here at dgrin at the end of July; I resisted the temptation to go back and post-process earlier shots with what I know now, so they're as I saw them then, warts and all :)

Fun exercise to do!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Yeah, but the payoff is you get midnight sun. AND the northern lights (can you tell I like northern climates!? I miss being in Scotland in the summertime!!)

Yeah, I know, it just seems a long way off when it's almost constantly dark.

I haven't actually seen northern lights in a couple of years, the Sun is in its nice guy mode and I'm too far south to see the little stuff.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    At Pyry's urging, a 2008 collection of my own. Still a hodgepodge as I start to build a technique and - eventually - a "style", but kind of neat.

Gallery here (and THANK YOU again dgrin Challenges for my smugmug account - I love it!)

I didn't start seriously working on the technique stuff until I started regularly reading and posting here at dgrin at the end of July; I resisted the temptation to go back and post-process earlier shots with what I know now, so they're as I saw them then, warts and all :)

Fun exercise to do!

Thanks for that!

I love seeing the learning curve happen, and you've made a lot of progress :D Your images are way better than mine were at that stage. You'll be past me in about a week. I think it took me nearly 2 years just to stop snapping and really start putting thought into what I was doing. My catalog practically starts from 2006; anything earlier is just crap.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Thanks for that!

I love seeing the learning curve happen, and you've made a lot of progress :D Your images are way better than mine were at that stage. You'll be past me in about a week. I think it took me nearly 2 years just to stop snapping and really start putting thought into what I was doing. My catalog practically starts from 2006; anything earlier is just crap.

Thanks! I'll agree that my processing has certainly improved, and I have - finally (after HOW many years?!) - moved beyond shutter priority from time to time.... :)

That said, I sometimes think that I took better candids before I started to think too hard about it - now I'll get distracted by settings and forget to shoot rolleyes1.gif I'm hoping it's just a phase and once the "numbers period" is intuitive instead of conscious I'll be able to return to spontaneity... only this time with some technique behind it :D

I'm certainly enjoying myself, though, and am finally building up a set of tools to let me do the things i really want to - it's just so much fun!
  • Options
    NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    OK, so I've only recently joined Dgrin, but I've been keeping track of things for a couple of years (literally: 2).
    Seems like not too many people have posted on this topic (of 2008's images), so I thought I would add to the fray.

(If you just go next from this image, you'll get only 2008 ones; the previous few are from 2007. Also, I borrowed from my existing portfolio gallery... Maybe not too cool, but it takes forever to upload on my connection!!)

I hope to grow in the next few years through keeping up and participating in Dgrin like a few of you here seem to have. clap.gif

Thanks in advance!
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    I don't have a gallery of the best of 2008, but sometime mid-year I finally hosted with Smugmug and set up my homepage slideshow from a gallery of favorites from about the past twelve months. From the time I started it I added a shot from each weekely show that I thought was representative. Just take a look of you haven't been there.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    OK, so I've only recently joined Dgrin, but I've been keeping track of things for a couple of years (literally: 2).
    Seems like not too many people have posted on this topic (of 2008's images), so I thought I would add to the fray.

(If you just go next from this image, you'll get only 2008 ones; the previous few are from 2007. Also, I borrowed from my existing portfolio gallery... Maybe not too cool, but it takes forever to upload on my connection!!)

I hope to grow in the next few years through keeping up and participating in Dgrin like a few of you here seem to have. clap.gif

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Dgrin! Thanks for sharing your gallery. The photo of the two really young trick-or-treaters is especially cute.
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    KCBearcat wrote:
    Just finished driving 1300+ miles from my home in KC to Kissimmee, FL... And the only picture I took was of a vehicle with Mexican license plates (from the Yucatan)...

Hopefully, I will get some opportunities over the 5 weeks that I'm here... :D

How's the weather?
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    I don't have a gallery of the best of 2008, but sometime mid-year I finally hosted with Smugmug and set up my homepage slideshow from a gallery of favorites from about the past twelve months. From the time I started it I added a shot from each weekely show that I thought was representative. Just take a look of you haven't been there.

Your pictures always bring back sooo many memories for me. I think I've mentioned I used to do the hunter/jumper circuit (out in So California) - finally gave it up when I went to grad school (real life and all that), but I've never stopped considering myself a rider even though I haven't been on a horse in 15 years (yikes!!!)

Do you cover mostly eventing?

Thanks for sharing!!
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    NateW wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I wanted to take some photography classes. Couldn't find any that fit my schedule, so this past summer started jumping into this forum feet first like a woman posessed.

Seems to me I found my schedule-friendly classes after all - right here. This place is GREAT - I can't believe how much I've learned as people have patiently and generously offered their feedback, technical expertise, shopping expertise and general advice. I spend WAY too much time on the computer reading and posting here, but it's been a wonderfully positive experience - strangely, my entire family has benefitted from my new passion for this, since I now try to come up wtih interesting shooting locations that can double as family "adventures" and we've been to SO many places near our home that we'd never explored before - it's GREAT!!

WELCOME - and enjoy!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    yup, Diva...

"read tell your eyes bleed, there is quaility info to be had... "

(i wonder if i will make it to DavidTO's generator with that quote?)

now if i could just apply all that info it all to my work....(if and when i do get to do photog).
    Aaron Nelson