Options

The Catchall Thread

Comments

• Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Gettin' All Caught Up in the Catchall Thread
    divamum wrote:
    Your pictures always bring back sooo many memories for me. I think I've mentioned I used to do the hunter/jumper circuit (out in So California) - finally gave it up when I went to grad school (real life and all that), but I've never stopped considering myself a rider even though I haven't been on a horse in 15 years (yikes!!!)

Do you cover mostly eventing?

Thanks for sharing!!

I used to live in Laguna Niguel, right by Nellie Gale, and back in the mid '80's crewed for another guy who had the HJ business at that big place on the San Diego side of Pendleton (can't remember the place but Rancho something...). It was all bw, and I used a Nikon FG of all things. I still have the thing. When I got back into this under my own name about 6 years ago, it just seemed that the eventers were the least monopolized! I do some HJ, and my other business is tack sales, and that's very heavily HJ oriented. I guess I keep it separate. Let's also say that there's a sort of equilibrium here in the South, and if I went after the HJ jobs I'd have the HJ guys going after my events!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    A Sample of My Images from 2008
    Pyry had such a good suggestion that I have even started filling my 2009 gallery already. Here is a sampling of my images from 2008.

For those of you that might have missed my photos of Ireland from my Deathcheater's Tour II you can find them here.

Deathcheater's Tour II

Thanks for looking.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    I used to live in Laguna Niguel, right by Nellie Gale, and back in the mid '80's crewed for another guy who had the HJ business at that big place on the San Diego side of Pendleton (can't remember the place but Rancho something...). It was all bw, and I used a Nikon FG of all things. I still have the thing. When I got back into this under my own name about 6 years ago, it just seemed that the eventers were the least monopolized! I do some HJ, and my other business is tack sales, and that's very heavily HJ oriented. I guess I keep it separate. Let's also say that there's a sort of equilibrium here in the South, and if I went after the HJ jobs I'd have the HJ guys going after my events!

I'm guessing Rancho Santa Fe. Heeheee... am I totally dating myself if I say I have some pictures of me doing junior hunters taken by June Fallaw? (She was THE photographer on the circuit for a while there - I just caught the tail end of her years, I believe....)

Geez. Talk about "small world". This is almost as weird as the time I went to the opera in Munich and bumped into somebody I knew from California days in line behind me (true story!). headscratch.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Pyry had such a good suggestion that I have even started filling my 2009 gallery already. Here is a sampling of my images from 2008.

For those of you that might have missed my photos of Ireland from my Deathcheater's Tour II you can find them here.

Deathcheater's Tour II

Thanks for looking.
    — Kevin

Wonderful shots, Kevin!

And Pyry, you seem to have started a trend - thanks for prodding us into not only compiling, but posting the results :D
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Kevin your photos are great! Thanks for sharing!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    This is almost as weird as the time I went to the opera in Munich and bumped into somebody I knew from California days in line behind me (true story!). headscratch.gifthumb
    Ach du lieber Gott im Himmel! Die warst dich?

June Fallaw!!!.... No longer in the game to my understanding. I heard she was now into growing competition grade African violets. GREAT black and white equitog of her day. Digital has changed everything. My belief is that the best shooters are those who used to be filmies, but sadly, most filmies hung on to the film and the old proof system for so long that they got supplanted by the new guard. There are some notable filmies still around, mostly in the northeast. James Leslie Parker is still up in the Hamptons every year, so I understand.... Out in SoCal I think a guy named Rick Osteen is the major name in HJ, but It's another universe, really....
    Mark
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Yes, Kevin, your gallery is really, really nice. I think the nicest think such a gallery does is to let us remember who took these photos over the year so we can see a body of work. It's really nice to see one we remember well and see it in a gallery with another we see really well.

I particularly like the train.
    Mark
  • Options
    KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Hey HoofClix,
    Got any advise for shootin rodeo's, My hubby is an active member for our rodeo and he wants me to take pictures for our Saddle club. any advise would be wonderful.
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Kwarta wrote:
    Hey HoofClix,
    Got any advise for shootin rodeo's, My hubby is an active member for our rodeo and he wants me to take pictures for our Saddle club. any advise would be wonderful.

I haven't done too much in that area, but it is the one place where I let the shutter fly instead of taking calculated shots that are required for jumping. You might also look into another dgrinner tagged as "rwells": http://www.dgrin.com/member.php?u=14693 He does a lot of rodeo work. Also search up to the right there on the word rodeo, and a lot of others will come up.

Good luck!
    Mark
  • Options
    KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    I haven't done too much in that area, but it is the one place where I let the shutter fly instead of taking calculated shots that are required for jumping. You might also look into another dgrinner tagged as "rwells": http://www.dgrin.com/member.php?u=14693 He does a lot of rodeo work. Also search up to the right there on the word rodeo, and a lot of others will come up.

Good luck!

Thanks a bunch. BTW your equine photography, is absolutely stunning.
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    Yes, Kevin, your gallery is really, really nice. I think the nicest think such a gallery does is to let us remember who took these photos over the year so we can see a body of work. It's really nice to see one we remember well and see it in a gallery with another we see really well.

Thanks Mark. I'm rather pleased with the way it turned out. A good 7-8 hours travel time there and back for about 15 seconds of actual shooting.

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Now we're talking! I like each and every gallery posted :D

I started riding a little over a year ago, so Mark's pictures hit the "Horses!" button pretty hard (I'm still trying to sort the basics out in dressage, but I did some jumping in the summer - that was fun!).

Kevin, that flamingo... bowdown.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 7, 2009
    great galleries being posted. Here are just a few of my best...but out of 15000 pictures it was hard to limit myself this much....

Best of 2008
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Wow! You guys are all sooooo talentedbowdown.gif
    Here are some of mine...

http://ic4u.smugmug.com/gallery/7030527_eSNcq#343750752_momsU
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    I LOVE looking at everybody's galleries - thanks for sharing!

In the meantime, may I whine for a moment? Not only does the weather SUCK right now, but this morning the door lock on the car broke, the door won't close (the lock won't catch at all - we had to HOLD it closed to get it to the repair shop) and it's gonna be $300 to fix it rolleyes1.gif

If it weren't that I paid for the ste2 and lens out of money from selling my XT outfit, I'd be feeling really guilty and panicky about having just speng money on that gear - as it is, I'm going to go into the other room and take some pictures of something - ANYTHING - and let a bit of creativity help me regain something that resembles a better mood. Because right now I'm leaning more towards :crazy:yikesgerg.gifargue

/whine
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    In the meantime, may I whine for a moment? Not only does the weather SUCK right now, but this morning the door lock on the car broke, the door won't close (the lock won't catch at all - we had to HOLD it closed to get it to the repair shop) and it's gonna be $300 to fix it rolleyes1.gif

I assume it didn't open and immediatly (re-)freeze open. I've had that happen, it usually warms up and starts working during the drive.

$300 for a hot-air blower treatment and some oil would be :splat :bash
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    I assume it didn't open and immediatly (re-)freeze open. I've had that happen, it usually warms up and starts working during the drive.

$300 for a hot-air blower treatment and some oil would be :splat :bash

Alas, I wish it had been that simple. No, the curved piece in the door which rotates around the fixed pin in the door frame won't turn normally or move back and forth without a screwdriver - it appears to actually be *broken* since it has no resistance or spring to it. Also, although there WAS ice this morning, it had opened and closed normally several times before The Incident (after at least 20 minutes, so it was thoroughly warmed up) so I'm inclined to accept the diagnosis, however much I wish it was just some bad luck with the temperatures! Sigh. :cry
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    great galleries being posted. Here are just a few of my best...but out of 15000 pictures it was hard to limit myself this much....

Best of 2008

Very nice! "Sunset Flight" (#16) is amazing!
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Alas, I wish it had been that simple.

Well, at the very least they are not charging you for stuff they didn't need to do.

How'd the pictures turn out? :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2009

Agreed, that and Karin's soft mourning dove iloveyou.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 7, 2009
    Thank you Paul!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:

+1 cool Kev
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    You guys inspired, challenged and entertained me in 2008! It's been so cool experiencing everyone's diverse approaches to the Challenges and to their photographic goals in general. Here's looking forward to what 2009 has to bring!

Some of my photographic favorites from 2008: http://halite.smugmug.com/gallery/7036664_hgLZX/1/450683670_EZBHo#450683670_EZBHo
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Nicely seasoned indeedthumb.gif very cool, and i even noticed a capture of you?...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    Nicely seasoned indeedthumb.gif very cool, and i even noticed a capture of you?...

Thanks. Yeah, I'm the one with the dog collar mwink.gif . Joking aside, I did not include any images of me in this gallery. The only photographic self-portrait I've done so far was the image I submitted for the Dawn or Dusk challenge: http://halite.smugmug.com/gallery/3280089_f6RyG#387374755_Mubq4-A-LB, which makes me think a proper self portrait might be in order for 2009.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    Halite wrote:

Great images Halite! I really liked the ones of the girls and the presents.
    — Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    +1 cool Kev

Thanks Aaron!

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Great images Halite! I really liked the ones of the girls and the presents.
    — Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I enjoyed seeing what else you were shooting last year besides your challenge entries. The scarlet bird image is particularly lovely and graphically so strong.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    FOR SURE! thumb.gif
  • Options
    cmurphcmurph Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Speaking of 2008 does anyone know if there will be a photo of the year? headscratch.gif
    :wow