Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    419027849_TnihK-L.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited January 7, 2009
    Got one
    Took advantage of the US rebates for this thing (-$75) and a TC (-$25). Money off, plus free shipping, and I also used a B&H gift card, so I couldn't not buy into this. deal.gif

Been shooting a few days now with the new 70-200 L IS f/4. I'd swear the 40D is smiling when this lens is attached. :D As am I.

After testing the f/2.8 version a couple months back, I was pleasantly surprised with how lightweight the 4 is. Walked around outside with the new combo for an hour and a half and am really glad I chose the f/4 version. Soooo much easier to shoot with. And wide open the shots are tack-sharp.

A bonus was the tripod collar from my 400 5.6 fits perfectly on the 4 and can now do double duty, saving another $150US. Since the filter size is 67 vs. 77, I must use a step-up ring, but I can't really see myself using filters very often on this lens.

I also ordered the Canon 1.4x EFII TC. Autofocus works great with the combination, even in low light. This was unexpected.

Sun stars are difficult to create due to the perfectly round diaphram (not the case with the 2.8). It can be done at upwards of f/22. Most of my attempts thus far made the sun turn out as a blurry circular blob. Further tests are needed to hone results.

Dislikes:
    I was hoping to see the better beige-silver double zippered case when I opened the box, just as comes with the 2.8 and other big "L" lenses. No luck. The 4.0 lens case is a draw-tight gray bag with a tough bottom. Almost useless. I will try to find something that matches the 2.8 case, but a little smaller.

I hate the lens hood! The thing looks like a coffee cup. Does anyone know of a petal-type hood that would work as well at the end? Can't reach in and place a lens cap on the lens with that stupid hood in place.

Overall, though, what a fantastic gizmo the 70-200 is. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    Took advantage of the US rebates for this thing (-$75) and a TC (-$25). Money off, plus free shipping, and I also used a B&H gift card, so I couldn't not buy into this. deal.gif

Been shooting a few days now with the new 70-200 L IS f/4. I'd swear the 40D is smiling when this lens is attached. :D As am I.

After testing the f/2.8 version a couple months back, I was pleasantly surprised with how lightweight the 4 is. Walked around outside with the new combo for an hour and a half and am really glad I chose the f/4 version. Soooo much easier to shoot with. And wide open the shots are tack-sharp.

A bonus was the tripod collar from my 400 5.6 fits perfectly on the 4 and can now do double duty, saving another $150US. Since the filter size is 67 vs. 77, I must use a step-up ring, but I can't really see myself using filters very often on this lens.

I also ordered the Canon 1.4x EFII TC. Autofocus works great with the combination, even in low light. This was unexpected.

Sun stars are difficult to create due to the perfectly round diaphram (not the case with the 2.8). It can be done at upwards of f/22. Most of my attempts thus far made the sun turn out as a blurry circular blob. Further tests are needed to hone results.

Dislikes:
    I was hoping to see the better beige-silver double zippered case when I opened the box, just as comes with the 2.8 and other big "L" lenses. No luck. The 4.0 lens case is a draw-tight gray bag with a tough bottom. Almost useless. I will try to find something that matches the 2.8 case, but a little smaller.

I hate the lens hood! The thing looks like a coffee cup. Does anyone know of a petal-type hood that would work as well at the end? Can't reach in and place a lens cap on the lens with that stupid hood in place.

Overall, though, what a fantastic gizmo the 70-200 is. thumb.gif

Yes, David, I share your enthusiasm for this lovely bit of engineering. It's a wonderful image grabber. It doesn't have the richness of color/contrast of the 24-70 though, unfortunately.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    David. :D It's good you like the lens.
    Show us some photos will you ?! mwink.gif

thumb.gifbowdown.gifthumb:D
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Show us some photos will you ?! mwink.gif

thumb.gifbowdown.gifthumb:D

Antonio,

How the heck are you?

Where have you been?

Regardless, start posting again thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Antonio,
    How the heck are you?
    Where have you been?
    Regardless, start posting again thumb.gif
    Hello Randy. How are you ?:D
    In the last days, if not monthes, I have been away because I am concentrating on learning LR and in photography in Portugal.
    This is a small country with it's advantages and disadvantages as you can imagine.
    So, I moved a bit to Portuguese forums but they are way too small and sometimes I am too demanding ending up in no participating because I don't have patience enough.eek7.gif
    Comments to pictures like "Very nice"; "Well done" and trivial stuff like that, I don't like.
    It doesn't mean that from time to time one can't make such kind of comment but all the time, is too much for me and I run away.mwink.gif

May be I am used to a good forum like this one where we express our opinions of view and change knowledge at in interesting level.
    I think I will come here again as often as I was before. No promises though.
    Thank you Ryan for you concern. bowdown.gif Have a nice and Healthy 2009.thumb.gif
    441136804_y5uki-L.jpg
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited January 9, 2009
    Antonio,

Any new images of "your" Sara? I have nothing new from my "Sarah" as she is away at college.

Maybe something taken with your 70-200mm? (... in keeping with the thread.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    António,

Any new images of "your" Sara? I have nothing new from my "Sarah" as she is away at college.

Maybe something taken with your 70-200mm? (... in keeping with the thread.)

Hello Ziggy :D

No, nothing from my Sara.:D Well, not with the 70-200 anyway ! :D
    thumb.gif

I must remember to shoot her some pics with the 70-200. mwink.gif

bowdown.gifbowthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2009
    Show us some photos will you ?!

Thanks! Once we get out of the pending deep freeze, I might venture outside with the thing and try to get something good to post.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2009
    477866113_r4ZF2-L.jpg

471759498_Xtgsq-L.jpg
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,756 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I ordered the 70-200L IS 2.8 last thursday at the "old" price.

There has been a price increase on Canon equipment here in Europe. One of the companies where I usually order had one on their website for the old price. In fact, there were 3 websites that still had the old price listed. The day after I ordered they added about 120 US$ to their price.

Ihope to get it this week. Will post some test shots as soon as I have it.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    GSPeP wrote:
    I ordered the 70-200L IS 2.8 last thursday at the "old" price.

There has been a price increase on Canon equipment here in Europe. One of the companies where I usually order had one on their website for the old price. In fact, there were 3 websites that still had the old price listed. The day after I ordered they added about 120 US$ to their price.

Ihope to get it this week. Will post some test shots as soon as I have it.

thumb.gifthumb:D:D
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    I just posted this in the 5D2 thread, but it was taken w/ the 70-200 so I'm posting it here too:

484051777_gar2r-M.jpg

More goodness in the full thread in the sports section: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=122893
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    I just posted this in the 5D2 thread, but it was taken w/ the 70-200 so I'm posting it here too:

484051777_gar2r-M.jpg

More goodness in the full thread in the sports section: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=122893

clap.gifthumbbowdown.gifD
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Delivery time of the lens became 1 month instead of 3-5 days, but at least I got it at the "old" price. (see my previous post of Mar-02)

Some first test shots I did with this lens on the 1D MkIII

All pictures taken (in the evening, with the sun setting) at 200 mm.

507495753_Hty8w-L.jpg

507495814_e44J6-L.jpg

Crop from previous picture:

507495837_8qwSn-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Very nice ! ... :D
    Did you use f/2.8 ? It looks like as the DOF is so shallow...
    thumb.gifD
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Just checked: all f/3.5

Camera was on "P"
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Oooohh i want to get in on this too.

200mm f/4.0

515854679_BBJeg-L.jpg

200mm f/5.6

515936245_DPaay-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    Gave my 70-200 f/4 L IS a good workout on vacation this past week at Tahoe. Here's a couple from this great sharp tube of glass.

522864130_dxDfU-O.jpg
    1/1250
    EC -2/3
    f/8
    ISO 400
    70-200 f/4 L IS @200mm + 1.4 TC
    90% full frame

522864107_TU7yE-O.jpg
    1/1250
    EC -1
    f/5.6
    ISO 400