Options

dgrin shootout 2006 - official chatter thread

Comments

• Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    OlgaJ wrote:
    I'll think of you when I'm having dinner there next week. Yes, indeed, a good place to eat. thumb.gif

Olga
    I'll be there myself in a few weeks. Be staying within walking distance of The Mint, so I can wash down my steak with a few Fat Tire beers.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Antelope Canyon!
    kudbegud wrote:
    count me in please!

i'm hoping to go to antelope canyon outside of page, arizona after the shoot-out. if anybody is also interested, i can scope out motels and tour guides. still lots of time. here's some shots from there to spark your interest:
    http://www.antelopecanyon.com/photos.html
    I want it!!!clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    Back in Russia
    Skippy wrote:
    I was unconscious for several hours
    ..this conditions is called "get a little boozed":D
  • Options
    nightingalenightingale Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    mrs. shay: sherpa
    mr. nightinggale (pathfinder): sherpa for mrs. pathfinder (nightingale)
    mrs. hughes (mhughes): they all carried their own
    mrs gubbs: baked her bun in the oven a bit, joined us for some, too. did *not* act as sherpa in any way, shape or form.

lol3.gif there's lots to do, and as the event draws near we'll figure it out...
    bs.gif

nightingale
    Nightingale...

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]I may not always be right, but I am never in doubt!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    bs.gif

nightingale

hmmm i'm certain that's not what jim told me!

:hide
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hmmm i'm certain that's not what jim told me!

:hide

Andrew, you are a trouble maker!! But it won't fly!!

I was pleased that Mrs Nightingale came along, but she did carry her own gear. She would not have it any other way.

She is not sure though about the Angel's Landing trail yet, that looks like a humdinger!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    They wouldn't allow us all to take in ATV's for lugging our equipment would they? Some extreme offroading would be cool.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Andrew, you are a trouble maker!! But it won't fly!!

that's not what sherpa stephens told me! lol3.gif

16458414-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    that's not what sherpa stephens told me! lol3.gif

16458414-Ti.gif

:nono :nono You hafta consider the source....... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

• Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    They wouldn't allow us all to take in ATV's for lugging our equipment would they? Some extreme offroading would be cool.

In a Nat Park they probably won't let you use a bicycle let alone an ATV.

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited May 24, 2005
    The answer is Llamas
    Yes, ATV's are prohibited. Bicycles? Dunno ne_nau.gif But.....

Llamas can be packed with quite a bit of weight, and they're good to very high altitudes. Didn't catch anything against Llamas though. My guess is that instead of Purina Llama Chow, they might eat Cherry Ripes (but that might prove costly). Anyone know where to rent Llamas in the southwest?

pathfinder wrote:
    In a Nat Park they probably won't let you use a bicycle let alone an ATV.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Yes, ATV's are prohibited. Bicycles? Dunno ne_nau.gif But.....

Llamas can be packed with quite a bit of weight, and they're good to very high altitudes. Didn't catch anything against Llamas though. My guess is that instead of Purina Llama Chow, they might eat Cherry Ripes (but that might prove costly). Anyone know where to rent Llamas in the southwest?

I know there are outfitters in Colorado that do use llamas as pack animals. Not sure of a reference for Zion or Bryce, but Il'll bet googling will turn something up.

Here is one I found just for photographers. http://www.outdoorutah.com/Articles/llamas%20companions%20on%20the%20trail.htm

• Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    Unbelievable
    And I thought I was making a funny about the Llamas. 80-100 pounds each, huh? Well, assuming there would be 80 people (60 photogs + spouses), each photog with 25 pounds of tripods, bodies and various glass per person... that could work out to 1 llama per 4 photogs - or 15 llamas.

Wait, Andy alone might need at least one llama, and perhaps two by then. He says he has a personal sherpa, but give the man a break and send his sherpa on a vacation of his/her own. We could request llama quotes for ~17-20 llamas. Maybe also a hire professional llama handler/feeder. There goes the Cherry Ripes budget.

pathfinder wrote:
    I know there are outfitters in Colorado that do use llamas as pack animals. Not sure of a reference for Zion or Bryce, but Il'll bet googling will turn something up.

Here is one I found just for photographers. http://www.outdoorutah.com/Articles/llamas%20companions%20on%20the%20trail.htm
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    icon1.gifAntelope Canyon!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kudbegud
    count me in please!

i'm hoping to go to antelope canyon outside of page, arizona after the shoot-out. if anybody is also interested, i can scope out motels and tour guides. still lots of time. here's some shots from there to spark your interest:
    http://www.antelopecanyon.com/photos.html

I want it!!!clap.gif
    you got it Nik ! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    And I thought I was making a funny about the Llamas. 80-100 pounds each, huh? Well, assuming there would be 80 people (60 photogs + spouses), each photog with 25 pounds of tripods, bodies and various glass per person... that could work out to 1 llama per 4 photogs - or 15 llamas.

Wait, Andy alone might need at least one llama, and perhaps two by then. He says he has a personal sherpa, but give the man a break and send his sherpa on a vacation of his/her own. We could request llama quotes for ~17-20 llamas. Maybe also a hire professional llama handler/feeder. There goes the Cherry Ripes budget.

llamas: rolleyes1.gifFLIPA.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    Yeah see the lugging the equipment was just an excuse for my real reason of wanting the ATV's there. The extreme offroading. clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    llamas: rolleyes1.gifFLIPA.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif :lol4 :lol4 :lol4 :lol :lol :lol
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    DH and I will be roaming around the world by then (hopefully) and we'd love to roam to Zion and Bryce.. I can't say for certain tho.. we could just take our chances and wing it with a tent or RV at the last moment???:uhoh (I LOVE to camp out, he wont, so prob an rv, the wimp) Also love to hike Sid, but my mountaineering days are over, so is lugging the 43lbs pack.. now I can hardly carry my own butt up the hillrolleyes1.gif and count me out for that steep steep climb eek7.gif I'd have to crawl....
    Count us in provisionally and I'll work on it like mad. Got my new notebook for the road anyway.. can't tell you what make it is cos you'd all throw rocks at me....got 60gig of hard drive and a dvd burner so I'm ready to take shots of all you kids.thumb.gif probably need an RV to carry all the Tanquaray and diet tonic.....1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    *****ok here's the deal on reservations ******
    may 17 and 18: ruby's inn at bryce canyon
    room charge: ~$93 per room per night

may 19 and 20: the lodge at zion national park
    room charge: ~$144 per room per night

all rooms have two double beds and a private bath. costs are subject to change, per disclaimers by the hotels.

here's how to secure your space on the shootout:

send me, by paypal, $245 ($237 plus the paypal fee, sorry) to the following paypal address:

awilliamsny(at)mac(dot)com

once i have your deposit the rooms will be put in your actual name.

we have 30 rooms reserved at each hotel. reserve now, by sending me your deposit, so you can be sure of a spot deal.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    OK fink you didn't make it easy but Linda and I are in. If those bathrooms aren't up to snuff you will have deal with the wraith of Linda.
    Harry you do meen by [UP TO SNUFF] that is with in walking distance and bring your own paper ---then your good to GO :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Andy, I'd like to make a suggestion that you post important info like reservations, deposits and other particulars in a separate thread, a sticky that you lock, so that only you can post in it. We've got a year until this thing gets underway, and our 9 page thread will easily top 100 pages or more, and trying to find the important details becomes impossible. This is a problem we already had on the Yosemite trip. I like all the discussion that happens here, but it really gets in the way of finding the facts. Can we have a "Just the facts, ma'am" thread?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    I am in --also Nick I will pm you about the extra days thumb.gif Andy you are going to give us the amount and when to deposit, the $ will be on it's way .Can not think of a better way to spend some $$ thanks Andy yosemite was a great trip thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    RV or not RV, this is the question
    jwear wrote:
    I am in --also Nick I will pm you about the extra days thumb.gif Andy you are going to give us the amount and when to deposit, the $ will be on it's way .Can not think of a better way to spend some $$ thanks Andy yosemite was a great trip thumb.gif
    If we're doing the RV/camping thingie - we don't need the rooms.
    If we're not - we do..
    Darn, I was hoping there will be a bit more time to decide..headscratch.gif

Andy, do you happen to know if there are RV parking spots next to those hotels?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Andy, I'd like to make a suggestion that you post important info like reservations, deposits and other particulars in a separate thread, a sticky that you lock, so that only you can post in it. We've got a year until this thing gets underway, and our 9 page thread will easily top 100 pages or more, and trying to find the important details becomes impossible. This is a problem we already had on the Yosemite trip. I like all the discussion that happens here, but it really gets in the way of finding the facts. Can we have a "Just the facts, ma'am" thread?

done deal.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Andy, do you happen to know if there are RV parking spots next to those hotels?
    Thanks!

i don't - you can check the websites for ruby's inn @ bryce and the lodge at zion n.p.....
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Hiking? Did someone say hiking?
    How much hiking are we talking about here? Cause I hate hiking.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2005
    some hiking required
    How much hiking are we talking about here? Cause I hate hiking.
    Baldy posted pics somewhere about a possible small hiking adventure we could all try up to a place called Angel's Landing. The sign at the bottom said...
    ANGEL'S LANDING
    STRENUOUS CLIMB
    NARROW ROUTE WITH CLIFF EXPOSURES
    HAZARDOUS DURING
    THUNDER STORMS, DARKNESS,
    AND ICY/SNOW CONDITIONS
    Now, I needn't worry you too much, but the last time I was there, I witnessed dozens of llama skeletons at the bottom of the cliffs and ravines.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2005
    Maybe I could stay behind and gaurd the boxes of cherry ripes from zombie llammas...

David_S85 wrote:
    Now, I needn't worry you too much, but the last time I was there, I witnessed dozens of llama skeletons at the bottom of the cliffs and ravines.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 3, 2005
    Maybe I could stay behind and gaurd the boxes of cherry ripes from zombie llammas...
    You do that. I'll get my tripod and set it up at the top looking over :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2005
    Well then maybe the zombie llamas will decide to stampeed for some reason, and the dust kicked up in the air and all the confusion will make it impossible for you to see anything from up there. So there would be no way of knowing what I am doing, which of course would be gaurding the boxes of cherry ripes from the now rampaging zombie llamas. :uhoh
    ian408 wrote:
    You do that. I'll get my tripod and set it up at the top looking over :D

Ian