Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #29: They're Playing Our Song (Exclusive Monthlong Challenge)

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    what the heck? this is just like the time i was left dancing on a table naked.... you guys sucko.:D

see next week!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    You were dancing on a table naked? How'd I miss that? headscratch.gifrofl
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Offically rolleyes1.gif

I have to ask... does this now qualify as "Most Responses To A Challenge Entry Thread" EVER?? Dunno - 513 must be WAY up there :lol4
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Sorry Aaron, had to catch the ride home.bowdown.gif I'll make it up to you somehow.beer.gif

(I don't normally suck up to anyone so I'm not very good at it. Do you think he'll buy it?) :D
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    sadly Im not sure I will be here long enough to finish #20 questions....but we will try!
    (otherwise next week you will see the images and know the answer)

#1 western

I don't want to wait...rolleyes1.gifrolleyesrolleyes1.gif

Uh,, Helloooooooo, you said yourself you may not have the time to hang around on the board all day to answer our questions..
    Thought we was cutting you a break.. headscratch.gif

Sucko? You said we sucko....
    O.K man,, puttem up...:beatwax, them there's fightin words cowboy..:rambo:lol4

:patch hmmmm.. wait maybe there was a hint in there somewhere? Awwwww, come on Aaron...you can't just cut us off like that... we mean well.. and besides, if you don't finish it, I will PM you once an hour pleading till ya do blbl.gifdeal.gif

So, there, now you know what I will be doing as of 12 am tonight., clocks a tickin...:D

Dancin on a table naked? ha ha.. I can see why they left...thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Sorry Aaron, had to catch the ride home.bowdown.gif I'll make it up to you somehow.beer.gif

(I don't normally suck up to anyone so I'm not very good at it. Do you think he'll buy it?) :D

Well, he might..but then there is always the chance he will be a stick in the mud too...:D
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Well kiss my grits if I don't disappear for a day or so and y'all have upped the entries in this thread by at least 50. Were there any other real Challenge questions in there, cuz I don't think so. ne_nau.gif

Hmmm...not a trivia question, just a theoretical question. If you were to have the option of:

a) a new computer
    b) upgrade of lightroom and noise ninja
    c) a cheap studio light kit

which would you choose and why?
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Well kiss my grits if I don't disappear for a day or so and y'all have upped the entries in this thread by at least 50. Were there any other real Challenge questions in there, cuz I don't think so. ne_nau.gif

Hmmm...not a trivia question, just a theoretical question. If you were to have the option of:

a) a new computer

The answer would depend on:

a) how old the existing computer was
    b) whether PS and the freeware version of Noiseware were already in hand
    c) what the position on speedlights and off-camera firing options was

How's that for a non-answer? :D
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009

a) a new computer

Well, lets see.. already invested in a four quad computer, and I took lightroom off of it because I cannot make peace with lightroom, I am spoiled to my CS3 and and all of my plugins for it, so I would have to say a studio light set up.. Yep, I need one of those badly... for now, I am making use of any lighting system I can get my hands on... ya know those big double shop light things, the real bright ones, and some lamps and window light.. so.. yes, I need a studio setup...:D
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    hey, im just poking in before Ileave on the trip.

(Grand Canyon)

(lots of night photography, I hope i dont screw it up!)

anyway, Emily: Lights. you can always get the other stuff later...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Exciting for sure... clap.gifI have been to the Grand Canyon several times, but not since I got into photography.. Lucky you.... Good luck...thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    Hmmm...only two answers but roughly unanimous. rolleyes1.gif
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 17, 2009

a) a new computer

C – Already have a good computer and CS4. Really (really really?) need the lights.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    hey, im just poking in before Ileave on the trip.

(Grand Canyon)

(lots of night photography, I hope i dont screw it up!)

Nice! I haven't been there since I was about 5 years old. (It was only a small depression in the dirt then.:D ) Can't wait to see your photos!

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    Ok well, decision made, I'm not getting any of it. Saving my pennies and dreaming for the future (once my kids have grown and gone probably!).

All right, back to trivia. Name 5 of the top paid photographers in the world.
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    This one for sure : Anne Liebovitz

hmm.. I dunno for the others... I will have to look that up..:D
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Ok well, decision made, I'm not getting any of it. Saving my pennies and dreaming for the future (once my kids have grown and gone probably!).

All right, back to trivia. Name 5 of the top paid photographers in the world.

Annie Leibovitz
    Andreas Gursky
    Patrick Demarchelier
    Anton Corbijn
    .....let me think about #5 headscratch.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Annie Leibovitz
    Andreas Gursky
    Patrick Demarchelier
    Anton Corbijn
    .....let me think about #5 headscratch.gif

Sounds good...let me know on #5. Ok, and while y'all are there...what are the top 5 most expensive photographs ever?
    Emily

• Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Sounds good...let me know on #5. Ok, and while y'all are there...what are the top 5 most expensive photographs ever?

James Elliott?
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    James Elliott?

Sounds good to me...you win! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Now, anyone got the top 5 most expensive photos?
    Emily

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 18, 2009
    Sounds good to me...you win! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Now, anyone got the top 5 most expensive photos?
    1. Edward Steichen Pond-Moonlight (1904), $2,900,000+, 2006
    2. Richard Prince Untitled (Cowboy) (1989), $1,248,000, 2005
    3. Gustave Le Gray The Great Wave, Sete, (1857), $838,000, 1999
    4. Andreas Gursky Untitled 5 1997, $559,724, Feb. 6, 2002
    5. Gustave Le Gray Tree (1855), $513,150, 1999

IMO...I have seen much better pics than what I see in the Pond-Moonlight and have taken better...I guess its a matter of taste. But considering the guy probably used a box camera....that wouldn't be too bad of a pic!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    What about?

Andreas Gursky, 99 Cent II Diptychon, sold for $3,346,456?
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    Looks like it's a combo win, with Sherstone finding the most updated Google! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

But yeah, realy, look at those pics which sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. What makes them THAT special? Is it the photo, or the photographer? I mean, if an image was shot in 1904, then you would have to assume there's some important history that you're buying there as well. But Gursky is far more recent than that, and has made a large fortune it seems. Why do you think tht is? If I took the same photo for a Dgrin Challenge, what critique/feedback would you give me on it?
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    I don't see anything special about Gursky's 99 Cent II Diptychon. ne_nau.gif At least not from my computer. The photo looks busy and cluttered to me. To tell you the truth, we have better photos in our galleries here. This guy probably has made some good connections in his life.

Pond-Moonlight fascinates me. The effort it must have taken for Steichen to have achieved the effect he did must have been monumental since color photography came into being AFTER this was taken. I think that fact adds a lot of value to the photo.

Anonymous Cowboy cracks me up because the rider is running out of the frame rather than into it. I took a similar shot during a vacation and when I entered it into an exhibit a judge panned it because the rider was riding out of the frame (the horizon was straightened for the entry). rolleyes1.gif Again, this photographer must have some connections.

Here's a link to some of those photos: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/03/03/most-expensive-photos-ever.aspx
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    Price on an item is often not related to THAT item, but to everything around it, including the creator and provenance. There's plenty of mediocre Picaso, or Monet, or Turner that commands a small fortune simply BECAUSE it's a Picasso, Monet or Turner. I think to some extent that's the case with the Steichen (even though I personally think the Pond is gorgeous, but then again I adore Steichen, as my "Emulation" round image would sugggest :D)

From wikipedia: "The Pond—Moonlight is an early color photograph, created through the use of light-sensitive gums. Only three copies are known to exist."

The rarity of the prints is also what will have driven up the price, I suspect.

However, botttom line is that pricing always boils down to "basic material value + how badly somebody wants it". The latter is what puts the high prices on these images, I suspect, and doesn't really establish a TRUE "value", but merely what one particular collector was willing to pay.

Related quasi-philosophical question: high-end, name-photographer shoot charges, ie David Bailie, Leibowitz, Cecil Beaton, Lord Snowdon, A.N.Other Vogue/Vanity Fair/Hollywood superstar photogs (whose names I haven't even heard of before because I'm still learning about all this). Dare one even speculate what they charge? Does the cost of "creating" the images they take change our perception of the "value" of the final image, and will the subject portrayed also contribute to the value of the image down the line?

/musings
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I think the one thing that sums up how we as artists/photographers look at other works when they sell for such amazing amounts of money is:

"I could do that."

This was said in the second paragraph of the linked article about - Andreas Gursky - 99 Cent II Diptychon

Is it because art is subjective or is it because an artist "networks" and it's who you know not what you know that gives a value to art?

Passion is what drives us and if passion is worth $ then we will all be well off someday mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I think the one thing that sums up how we as artists/photographers look at other works when they sell for such amazing amounts of money is:

"I could do that."
    No, it's more like I wish I could do that -- as in get money like that for one of my shots. lol3.gif But only one. I wouldn't want to be greedy. rolleyes1.gif

Perhaps the person who bought the shot felt he or she got something special but I just don't see what it is. ne_nau.gif

However, I really do dig this shot of his: http://www.creativeandlive.com/article_images/0000/1479/andreas-gursky5455354135.jpg
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 18, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    Passion is what drives us and if passion is worth $ then we will all be well off someday mwink.gif

yeah when I'm dead probably!!....rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

I'm curious about that shot, Linda. Is it a real building, designed in such a way that you see that much into the building? If it's composite/fabricated in some way, then yes he created a cool photograph. Otherwise what I see is someone taking a shot of an architect's awesome building. ne_nau.gif
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    I'm curious about that shot, Linda. Is it a real building, designed in such a way that you see that much into the building? If it's composite/fabricated in some way, then yes he created a cool photograph. Otherwise what I see is someone taking a shot of an architect's awesome building. ne_nau.gif

I have no idea. There's an awful lot going on in that building at night for every floor to be lit up like that. I'm guessing that he had a camera in a stationary location and took many photos over an extended period of time which be blended into one.

I enjoy studying the activity on each floor of the building.