Options

The coupon feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    The thing that works the best for me right now has been giving a 10% off to returning customers. I have seen a lot more returning customers then ever before.
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    With the holidays approaching and the remote possibility of coupons being active by then, how would use the new feature in conjunction with the holiday season? Offer a special using a coupon? Give a credit for next year?

I was thinking of a special "Holiday sale" like 10% off $50, and 15% off $100, etc. Or maybe purchase $50, and get a credit for $5, purchase $100, get a credit for $15. What are some other creative ways to use the coupons/credits during the holidays?

I usually find that the best approach is the most simple. I plan on doing something like 15% off all purchases between now and the end of the year (or something along those lines).

That is usually a good tool to get those whose photo sessions were some time ago, to get off their butts and buy some pictures.

My biggest use for coupons is going to go along these lines. It will allow my to raise my base print prices and then offer a coupon so that customers won't feel like I'm being mean.

For example, I can raise my prices 20% and then, after a shoot is complete, give them a coupon that says 10% off if your order within one week of the shoot.

Half the people will take advantage and order right away, instead of waiting for years and years. The other half will pay the procrastinator's tax in higher prices once the coupon expires. Either way, I win.

I could do something along those lines now, by just raising prices in the gallery afte a week, but then I come across as being mean "Why did that jerk raise the print prices?" versus giving them a coupon and coming across as nice "What a cool guy, He gave us a coupon to help with this purchase of a very high value item."

So you can see why I am so anxious for coupons.

I won't get into vouchers/discounts/etc until middle of next year when my class contracts come up again.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    My plan on coupons is to give the customers a discount on their first purchase after a session. Hoping to encourage slightly more sales on that first order as a result.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    oliverbogleroliverbogler Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I'm trying to increase subscribers to my newsletter, so that they can get to know me and become future customers.

So I am planning on offering referral coupons to existing customers/subscribers. Something like a $10 value coupon per referral who signs up with the newsletter. That way my existing customers might (hopefully) help me spread the word.

I realize that this means some money out of pocket potentially, but I am willing to make this investment to grow my customer base.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Dano wrote:
    The thing that works the best for me right now has been giving a 10% off to returning customers. I have seen a lot more returning customers then ever before.
    Wow, excellent suggestion. I never thought of that before. How do you communicate the discount to them? Simply via email or an actual mailing?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    brjphoto wrote:
    For example, I can raise my prices 20% and then, after a shoot is complete, give them a coupon that says 10% off if your order within one week of the shoot.
    Wow, another great idea. As an event photographer I run into this as well. People will wait to purchase 'later' and then forget. Knowing that they'll pay more later might just seal the deal on a sale that was never going to happen the other way. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    So I am planning on offering referral coupons to existing customers/subscribers. Something like a $10 value coupon per referral who signs up with the newsletter. That way my existing customers might (hopefully) help me spread the word.
    Interesting. How do you plan to track the referrals?
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Wow, another great idea. As an event photographer I run into this as well. People will wait to purchase 'later' and then forget. Knowing that they'll pay more later might just seal the deal on a sale that was never going to happen the other way. thumb.gif
    Man, I almost hate to do this, but here goes. What you have there is an excellent idea. But to implement that with coupons might be difficult. How do you get a coupon out to everyone from the event? Can Smugmug coupons be used multiple times by multiple people or not? (obviously don't know the answer to that). Exposure Manager could handle the above by having what amounts to a timed sale. For a specific amount of time you could roll back prices on all or only some products. Very slick.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Sometimes I feel I'm pushing myself back to EM..... :(
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    Man, I almost hate to do this, but here goes. What you have there is an excellent idea. But to implement that with coupons might be difficult. How do you get a coupon out to everyone from the event? Can Smugmug coupons be used multiple times by multiple people or not? (obviously don't know the answer to that). Exposure Manager could handle the above by having what amounts to a timed sale. For a specific amount of time you could roll back prices on all or only some products. Very slick.

It probably depends on the event and other circumstances.

For several of the ones I shoot the work is done on spec with some free advertising placed in the program and in email newsletters.

An unlimited use coupon code with a short expiration date could be printed right in the program letting people know when the savings is over.

My understanding is that the coupon system will support the unlimited use concept, and the advantage over the EM timed sale is that anyone who doesn't use the coupon code pays full price.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Most of my events have email sign in sheets. When I email those who signed up, to let them know that the pictures have been posted, I include coupon information at that time.

Also, for events where I bring cards to pass out, the coupon info could be included on the card.

Finally, you can put the coupon code and information on the landing page of the gallery. Include the information for the coupon on page 1 and anyone who comes to view the photos will see that if they order before a certain date, they have the option of using a coupon code to get xx% off.

Something similar to the landing page is to make the coupon and information about the gallery into a jpeg and make that the 1st photo in the gallery. Everyone who clicks through to the gallery will have all the info they need right there.

Can coupons be used by multiple people multiple times? Based on the information that smugmug has shown the answer to that question is going to be: Yes, you can set it up that way. Simply program the coupon to allow unlimited uses before a specified expiration date.

For me timed sales would only anger my customers. I would get angry emails from customers wanting to know why I changed the prices.
    mercphoto wrote:
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    How do you communicate the discount to them? Simply via email or an actual mailing?

Email. After an order I send out a thank you with a coupon code for a future order.

I'm not sure how Smug will handle it but with EM you give the coupon a code name that they put in at checkout. You can put a one use limit on this or time limit.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    mbellot wrote:
    ...and the advantage over the EM timed sale is that anyone who doesn't use the coupon code pays full price.

That's my favorite part. Those who are "price sensitive" still purchase photos because they feel like they are getting a deal. Those who are "coupon ignorant" pay "normal" price and don't feel like they are getting the shaft.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    I usually hand out slips with my web site address on them at events to the owners of vehicles I've photographed. These slips could be my coupons.

I too like the idea of the timed "sale pricing" of EM. I also like their FTP upload system, but that's another topic...
  • Options
    oliverbogleroliverbogler Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Interesting. How do you plan to track the referrals?

I use MailChimp for my newsletter, and I have included a box on the signup form where you can enter the name of the person who referred you. Then I track that - it is captured by MailChimp in my list database. You can see the form here:

http://oliversimages.us1.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=ab3c23976d389d34034463cf5&id=c29aca97f8

As an aside, MailChimp is an affordable way to manage small lists - no subscription, but a pay as you go model.
  • Options
    arpboyarpboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Threatening is no better,

You interpret his post as a lack of respect then close up your post with a threat?

Sometimes this thread feels like I'm watching a Jerry Springer show: who's going to get pummelled next?
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Most diffidently has it's ups and downs!!
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    I use MailChimp for my newsletter, and I have included a box on the signup form where you can enter the name of the person who referred you. Then I track that - it is captured by MailChimp in my list database. You can see the form here:

http://oliversimages.us1.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=ab3c23976d389d34034463cf5&id=c29aca97f8

As an aside, MailChimp is an affordable way to manage small lists - no subscription, but a pay as you go model.
    Neat! Very slick way to do it. It's amazing how powerful stuff is getting. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AlarconAlarcon Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Any news?
    mercphoto wrote:
    Seriously, SM knows we need the feature, and we know its coming soon but that there will be no published due-date.
    I may be beating a dead horse here (I didn't read all 60+ pages of this thread), but put me down as concerned about coupons. When I signed up for a pro account almost a year ago, I took "coming soon" to mean months, not years. As my business is starting to grow, I think offering coupons and/or packages would be a really good sales tool.

As I approach the time to renew my membership, I'm questioning whether smugmug is going to be the right place to stay. I've put a lot of time into getting my site and workflow straightened out and am basically happy with smugmug, but the lack of progress (or updates?) on something that seems so important is worrying.

If I've missed some important piece of info, please let me know.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Alarcon wrote:
    If I've missed some important piece of info, please let me know.
    Yes, you have, we're in the next phase of testing our coupons. It's closer than it ever now. No, I won't say the date we'll release the feature but it's still, and is, our #1 priority and the entire QA squad is full-on testing them right now. Barring something unexpected, it's not gonna be much longer, but you never know.

Stay tuned!
  • Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, you have, we're in the next phase of testing our coupons. It's closer than it ever now. No, I won't say the date we'll release the feature but it's still, and is, our #1 priority and the entire QA squad is full-on testing them right now. Barring something unexpected, it's not gonna be much longer, but you never know.

Stay tuned!
    I 'm willing to help out with the testing. :D

Chris
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    the entire QA squad is full-on testing them right now.
    Are you going to have some customers beta test it? (No, I'm not volunteering, but when it comes to testing, having more hands in the pot is always good.)
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    AlarconAlarcon Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Stay tuned!

Thanks - that's the sort of info I was looking for. That sort of prompt response is one of the things I really appreciate from smugmug (and why I would be hesitant to go somewhere else).

I've had a flurry of orders in the past week that's generated a couple questions; they've all been answered very quickly. Thanks again!
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Barring something unexpected, it's not gonna be much longer, but you never know.

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    headscratch.gif
    It's the way software goes - everything's going swimmingly, and then BANG - it's not.

This can happen if the assumptions an application is based on don't match real life usage, and fundamental changes need to be made.

Hopefully that won't happen in this case. deal.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Stay tuned!
    Whats the rushrolleyes1.gifrolleyesrolleyes1.gif
    It has only been in discussion for over a yearheadscratch.gifscratch
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    I see 63 pages of posts for this coupon thread. Whose betting that we reach 100 pages before we get coupons? Whats the spread? rolleyes1.gifDrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 25, 2009
    jinspin wrote:
    I see 63 pages of posts for this coupon thread. Whose betting that we reach 100 pages before we get coupons? Whats the spread? rolleyes1.gifDrolleyes1.gif
    I'll take the under.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:
    I'll take the under.
    Well that's promising... coming from you.

I'd be more inclined to wager on the date of release being after 06.27.10, a full 2 years after this thread was started and @ 6 years after SM users started asking for the feature.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Well that's promising... coming from you.

I'd be more inclined to wager on the date of release being after 06.27.10, a full 2 years after this thread was started and @ 6 years after SM users started asking for the feature.
    You'd lose. I've already said we're testing again....
This discussion has been closed.