Options

dgrin shootout 2006 - official chatter thread

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Thanks, Adrienne!
    ajgauthier wrote:
    I can't commit now, but by the end of the summer I'll know better. I've always wanted to go up there...it'll be nice to be w/ a bunch of folks who on a hike won't say, "What...are you taking MORE pictures? Geezus!" I'd need to share a room w/ females, and I'd be driving up from Tucson...which means I'd most likely do a pre- or post- Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sedona add on to the trip if anyone is interested in flying in or out of Tucson (to be discussed later...since I really don't know any of you) The Slot Canyons (Antelope) are interesting, but if you checkout what Arizona Highways mag says, you've got to really be into climbing into teeny places to get through some of the areas to get to the good photo opps.

Adrienne
    For the vast majority of participants Vegas probably would be "Da Airport", since airfare can we very cheap. But you as a "local gal" may be one of our guides, especially if you can find time to fmiliarize yourself with the locations and maybe even scout out some places couple of times beforehand.. Just a thought!
    We'll be looking to meet you next year!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    ajgauthier wrote:
    I'd need to share a room w/ females

Thanks for the reminder, Adrienne.

Andy, I need to share a room w/ females too.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    For the vast majority of participants Vegas probably would be "Da Airport", since airfare can we very cheap. But you as a "local gal" may be one of our guides, especially if you can find time to fmiliarize yourself with the locations and maybe even scout out some places couple of times beforehand.. Just a thought!
    We'll be looking to meet you next year!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    hi Nik,

I am still about 6 hours drive south of the Grand Canyon, 4.5 of Sedona, and a good day's drive from Utah. So - I can scout in Tucson, but not way up there! I also won't be driving through Vegas, I'd be coming up from the Southeast side of the Grand Canyon.

Adrienne
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Friends of Arizona Highways
    hiya - try perusing or contacting these guys for more local info in Bryce/Zion/Grand Canyon/Slot Canyons, etc.

http://www.friendsofazhighways.com/

They may even have workshops going on around the same time y'all be near the area.

Adrienne
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Deposit on the way
    Hey Andy. I just sent off my deposit. Really looking forward to the 2006 shootout and to the excuse to buy a new lens or six!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Hey Andy. I just sent off my deposit. Really looking forward to the 2006 shootout and to the excuse to buy a new lens or six!

Virginia

got it! looking forward to meeting you, virginia :D
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    Thanks for the link!
    ajgauthier wrote:
    hiya - try perusing or contacting these guys for more local info in Bryce/Zion/Grand Canyon/Slot Canyons, etc.

http://www.friendsofazhighways.com/

They may even have workshops going on around the same time y'all be near the area.

Adrienne
    Small world: I started to browse through the site and immediately saw Marc Muench's pikcha:
    http://www.friendsofazhighways.com/faq.htm
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    dgrin shootout scholarship award
    thiago sigrist will be joining us at the 2006 shootout, all the way from brazil :D

clap.gif
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    thiago sigrist will be joining us at the 2006 shootout, all the way from brazil :D

clap.gif
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

*EXCELLENT*
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    Awesome!
    andy wrote:

clap.gif
    WTG, Thiago!
    Now you need to sign up for the post-trip:-) Afterall, it's kinda costly to go all the distance for 3 days only:-)
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2005
    dgrin shootout scholarship award
    clap.gif ann mcrae will be joining us from western canada :D w00t!
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Question from a n00b.
    I've been thinking about doing something like this for a long time and now I have found it here. My question is this. I am fairly new to photography and am still learning the basics. I would absolutely love to go on this trip but I think I may be out of my element. But on the other hand I think this would be a trip of a lifetime for me and I would learn soo much from everyone there. Everyone on Grin has been very nice and informative but please answer honestly, would it be worth it for me to do this or would I be a fish out of water getting on peoples nerves by asking "stupid" questions? Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited July 20, 2005
    Everybody's welcome
    You just answered your own question - "I think this would be a trip of a lifetime for me and I would learn soo much from everyone there." Yup, nod.gif there will be plenty of opportunities to learn there, and from and for everyone. Each photographer has their own niche, so not learning something new would be pretty much impossible. And that's why I am signed up too. Always more to learn, and to share what I know about to others also.

"...and am still learning the basics..." So you will stand to learn the most there, right? And yes, it would be worth going. Everybody learns more every day. I don't know a pro (at any endeavor, really) who would dare say they already know enough not to attend an opportunity such as this.

And the scenery (and food too, knowing how Andy picks these places) will be great, so what's not to like? Or fear? ne_nau.gif

Spouses of some are also traveling out there, and some of them don't know one end of a camera from the other, so it's not just about photography.

gluwater wrote:
    I've been thinking about doing something like this for a long time and now I have found it here. My question is this. I am fairly new to photography and am still learning the basics. I would absolutely love to go on this trip but I think I may be out of my element. But on the other hand I think this would be a trip of a lifetime for me and I would learn soo much from everyone there. Everyone on Grin has been very nice and informative but please answer honestly, would it be worth it for me to do this or would I be a fish out of water getting on peoples nerves by asking "stupid" questions? Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Nick
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Exciting trip idea! Count me in.

Den
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2005
    lark wrote:
    Exciting trip idea! Count me in.

Den

great, denny - see the info thread in this forum, and pls send me a deposit as soon as you can.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    I've decided to grab life with both hands (anyone get the obscure reference?). Count me in, it's about time I start living.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    I've decided to grab life with both hands (anyone get the obscure reference?). Count me in, it's about time I start living.

cool! got your paypal, looking forward to meeting you :D
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    Thanks, I already can't wait to go!
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2005
    denny (lark) is coming! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    jack buchanan's coming clap.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    Book on Zion & Bryce
    Found this at Amazon...

Frommer's Zion & Bryce Canyon National Parks. Paperback. Don Laine. ISBN: 0764542877

Some of the chapter titles that may become important to some...

Ch.3, Sec. 4, pg. 47 How to See the Park in 1 to 2 Days
    Ch.8, Sec. 3, pg. 124 Where to Eat
    INDEX Section, Restaurant Index
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Still Room?
    Hi Andy,

I'm back on my DLS line at home after being away for 6 weeks stuck with a slowwwwww phone line hookup. Being home is definitely good. 1drink.gif

Have a female photo friend who has indicated interest in shootout 2006. As in my case, landscape photography is not her niche, but she is interested in learning and loves to hike etc. Is there still room?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Hi Andy,

I'm back on my DLS line at home after being away for 6 weeks stuck with a slowwwwww phone line hookup. Being home is definitely good. 1drink.gif

Have a female photo friend who has indicated interest in shootout 2006. As in my case, landscape photography is not her niche, but she is interested in learning and loves to hike etc. Is there still room?

Virginia
    yup - for sure - please read the sticky info thread, and have her send me a deposit deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    Some shots from the past
    I just uploaded a bunch of old pictures from August 2003, when my dad, my youngest a, my brand new (then) Murrano and me took a trip to Grand, Bryce and Zion canyons.
    So for those of you who haven't been there - you can prepare thyself:
    http://nik.smugmug.com/2003/103591

HTH
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    cat-one is coming!

clap.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005