Countdown to Dgrin 2.0

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited September 9, 2011 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hey, Dgrinners:

Remember a while back when we announced some upcoming changes? With your cooperation we totally nailed Part One, which was focused on updating the database and properly prepping the stage for the second leg of renovations.

Since then, we've been working behind-the-scenes with an incredible designer to craft some new, highly visible Dgrin improvements. What does this mean for you? A totally new look and feel, cleaner design and overall better experience.

We'll be rolling these changes out over the next few months. Some will be subtle, some will be major. All of the changes will be noted in this post, so check back to see what's new, or if you're finding yourself lost with one of our new changes, you'll find some help right here.

Feel free to comment on the changes or ask us any questions right here in this thread. :thumb

20110601-1ks337krugdt3ssir89j4qsx5n.png

CHANGE LOG:
31 May
  • Announced upcoming changes
02 June
  • Disabled Post Icons (not smilies, but the icons that appear next to thread titles)
  • Disabled Profile Pictures
  • Disabled "Hot Post" indication
08 June
  • Changed "Lurkers" to "Guests" in "In Da House"
  • Lost "Memory Card Full" from the Logout link
09 June
  • Thread prefixes (FS:, SOLD:, etc.) are now required in the Flea Market sub-forums.
  • Disabled thread rating.
13 June
  • Disable FONT tags.

31 Jul
  • Removed The Refinery forum
  • Updated FAQ

01 Aug
  • Moved Tutorials and Reviews from our SmugMug gallery to the forum itself. We also shuffled the forums around a bit.

Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Let me be the first to thank David, and all the mods, for working so very hard on this. And now, the fun begins, we want your feedback and cherish it - so, bring it on!
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    The UI looks like it's going to be awesome!
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    J Allen wrote: »
    The UI looks like it's going to be awesome!

Yes! We're still doing a lot of work on it, but we're really approaching this like a spring cleaning. We're removing everything that's not helping and will be rearranging some things, as well.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Nice-looking format--anxious to see the rest. Keep up the good work, ya'll!!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    I hope it's a good thing because I really like the Dgrin Forums.
    The last MB that did a major change for the better I no longer visit because it was a pain to try and do anything?
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Good work guys! I really like the colors. MakeMeShutter brought up a good point: will the old posts be gone?

I realize that the top navbar looks good, but is it that functional? I mean, those same links are available just by scrolling down :). I rarely click the forum categories anyway; I just click the forum I want.

Will this be VB4?
    edited June 1, 2011
    Good work guys! I really like the colors. MakeMeShutter brought up a good point: will the old posts be gone?
    No, this is a new look, not a whole new beginning.
    I realize that the top navbar looks good, but is it that functional? I mean, those same links are available just by scrolling down :). I rarely click the forum categories anyway; I just click the forum I want.

Will this be VB4?

Not immediately. We're not yet ready to move to vB4.

And please keep in mind that things are still changing with the new look. That screengrab was just the current state in our progress. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 1, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »
    I hope it's a good thing because I really like the Dgrin Forums.
    The last MB that did a major change for the better I no longer visit because it was a pain to try and do anything?

It's nice to be liked! clap.gif

Things will only get easier and navigation more clear.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 1, 2011
    Dgrin is hosted by SmugMug, but it's NOT SmugMug. The search is for the forum.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 1, 2011
    I use search all the time.

Now THAT is good news! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    I don't know about others, but I like the current "Click! Hi, ThatCanonGuy!" better than the lame "Welcome, ThatCanonGuy."
    edited June 1, 2011
    Will posts from DGRIN-1.0 be going bye-bye?
    Did I mention I am not a big fan of change?

No posts will be harmed as we make Dgrin better looking and easier to use. I'm sorry you aren't a fan of change!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    I see no "You!" in the nav? Peeps are directed to that all the time.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited June 1, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    I see no "You!" in the nav? Peeps are directed to that all the time.

Yep. We're moving that. But your control panel is still available, so no worries.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 1, 2011
    VCR's -I still can't program mine!
    :D:D:D

What's a VCR?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    I like the look of that search bar, maybe change isn't all that bad :D

I refer you to changes that have not made things easier:
    Airport Security
    Child Proof Caps
    Rigid Plastic Packaging - that has to be cut open.
    Key Locators - I forgot where I left it.
    VCR's -I still can't program mine!
    :D:D:D

lol3.gif Great points, but having tested the new look, I do think that this is a change a lot of folks will love. It's so easy on the eyes and the interface is so intuitive.

Fewer clicks, familiar glyphs... yer gonna love it. :ivar
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Will it be easier to rate posts (stars or thumbs)? The current setup is convoluted and, therefore, not used much. I would love to be a Le to offer a quick rating on a post and more detailed comments later bi think it will push up the number of people that end up contributing their thoughts as well b
    edited June 1, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Will it be easier to rate posts (stars or thumbs)? The current setup is convoluted and, therefore, not used much. I would love to be a Le to offer a quick rating on a post and more detailed comments later bi think it will push up the number of people that end up contributing their thoughts as well b

I'm not sure I see the same value in it that you do, and I don't see it getting much use. How is the current setup convoluted and how could it be better?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    I hadn't noticed the absence of the "You" button until Allen mentioned it. I use that one every single day--will there be an equally easy way to find my posts? You mentioned the profile will be available but that takes a couple of clicks to get to it. What will be the best (i.e., fastest) way to track my posts/threads?
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited June 1, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed the absence of the "You" button until Allen mentioned it. I use that one every single day--will there be an equally easy way to find my posts? You mentioned the profile will be available but that takes a couple of clicks to get to it. What will be the best (i.e., fastest) way to track my posts/threads?

I mentioned your control panel, which is what "You!" really is, just under a different name. Personally, I bookmark this link:

http://www.dgrin.com/subscription.php?

I prefer it for viewing subscribed threads over the control panel. But yes, "You!" Is still there. It's the little icon to the right of your username, which indicates your control panel.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 1, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    I'm not sure I see the same value in it that you do, and I don't see it getting much use. How is the current setup convoluted and how could it be better?

Maybe I should have said buried. It is hiding there with the thread tools and search thread drop downs. I rarely see anyone use it. I just rated this a 4-star thread but it doesn't show up (I think there's a threshold for number of votes before you see any).
    I just think that encouraging rating threads fosters more activity and replies. That is the case for other non-photography boards that I frequent. Most of those are tech sites where you build up a cache of 'points' and/or 'reputation' based on your posts and the helpfulness of them. I can't help but think that a system like that would help grow the number of replies for a given thread. Some people who otherwise would not comment on a posted photo might be more inclined to give it 1-5 stars.
    Just a thought...ne_nau.gif
    E
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    1. Will public profiles actually be public this time, or will you still need to log-in to view a DGrinner's public profile?

2. Has this been tested w/ Tapatalk; i.e., is the Tapatalk feature still going to be supported? I have been beta testing the latest iPad build on that, and it [strike]should be[/strike] was approved by Apple [strike]soon, too[/strike] today.
    edited June 1, 2011
    RogersDA wrote: »
    1. Will public profiles actually be public this time, or will you still need to log-in to view a DGrinner's public profile?

2. Has this been tested w/ Tapatalk; i.e., is the Tapatalk feature still going to be supported? I have been beta testing the latest iPad build on that, and it [strike]should be[/strike] was approved by Apple [strike]soon, too[/strike] today.

1) We're not planning on changing this behavior.

2) It shouldn't have any impact on Tapatalk at all. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 2, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Maybe I should have said buried. It is hiding there with the thread tools and search thread drop downs. I rarely see anyone use it. I just rated this a 4-star thread but it doesn't show up (I think there's a threshold for number of votes before you see any).
    I just think that encouraging rating threads fosters more activity and replies. That is the case for other non-photography boards that I frequent. Most of those are tech sites where you build up a cache of 'points' and/or 'reputation' based on your posts and the helpfulness of them. I can't help but think that a system like that would help grow the number of replies for a given thread. Some people who otherwise would not comment on a posted photo might be more inclined to give it 1-5 stars.
    Just a thought...ne_nau.gif
    E
    Eyal,
    You're correct--no rating is displayed until some magic number of ratings is reached. I don't know what that number is, but I do know that the number of threads with ratings visible on Dgrin is vanishingly small.

I also visit boards that use rating systems and agree that they can be useful. But I think in order to be reliable, there needs to be a much greater volume of traffic than we have here on Dgrin. It's also possible that if ratings were used more often here, there could be a tendency to use ratings as a substitute for comments. So the amount of real critique could decline. Another unintended consequence might be that unrated threads get ignored more often. All this is just speculation, of course; it could go either way. Since hardly anyone uses ratings here, there's no way to know.

What I do know is that to change the way the rating system works would require a substantial amount of customization work. Seems like that effort would be better spent on other things. Thanks for bringing it up though.
    edited June 2, 2011
    Thanks Richard. Appreciate your detailed response and can appreciate the potential for unintended consequences
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    Will we be able to change the "skin" of the interface? I find white text on a black background to be headache-inducing.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    Will we be able to change the "skin" of the interface? I find white text on a black background to be headache-inducing.
    It's not going to be white-white on black-black, if you know what I mean thumb.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    ivar wrote: »
    It's not going to be white-white on black-black, if you know what I mean thumb.gif

No, sorry. I'm not following you. Will I be able to customize my view so that I have dark text on a light background?
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    I'm gonna be hard to convince, guys!mwink.gif

I love Dgrin status quo, it's so easy on the eyes, and gives total focus to the images. Ageless classic. Are you guys bored or what?

In my experience ratings encourage drive-by nazism. A few faceless and gutless clicks can wreak havoc, distortion, anger and calumny on a thread. It is the rule of the playground, name calling from out of sight and out of reach.

One of the invaluable can't-be-ordered-or-bought qualities of Dgrin is that to participate you have to contribute, you have to be a real person, a personality, and put up your images, and make your comments, more, reason your images and reason your comments. You cannot be just an anonymous and irresponsible clicker of a up or down thumb. I don't want to come to Dgrin and have to be looking after my back, what might come flying at me from the dark, positive or negative.

Over the years I've been a member of Dgrin, the most frequently and spontaneously expressed appreciations I have seen have been for the quality of the communication here, for the help given on the spot by people you feel some friendship for, for the very real community of people passionate about photography, about enjoying photography, and enjoying association with each other. To my mind that needs no added tinsel. That needs no social media style whipped up ratings popularity frenzy.

Peace!iloveyou.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    Improved search function would definitely be thumb.gif

But can I cajole, beg and plead that you keep the clean simplicity of the current dgrin interface? That's one of the things I LOVE about it. It isn't cluttered up by zilions of icons, buttons, colour-schemes, sub-menus and STUFF. Simple Can Be Good :D

Just my 2c.