Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    Angelo wrote: »
    Hi folks

I've merged the individual threads regarding logo design with the "business card" thread as a matter of housekeeping, keeping similar /related subjects grouped together. thumb.gif

I think this was a mistake eek7.gif
    I was going through the thread trying to come up with my own logo and now I have to scroll through business cards to get back to more info on what is good or bad about different logos.
    Showing your business card and designing Logos are two different themes.
    You have essentially killed the logo design thread for me.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    lacyvernal wrote: »
    Lol, wow! Thank you all for the feedback ;). Yes, the cards are cut that way. From what I've seen when I hand it to people they're more intrigued by it because it's unique & different, and most of them have never seen a card cut that way. I agree that my name is very repetitive on the card...I could take off the "lacy lange, photographer" part, but the rest of it is kind of important info for them to contact me or find me online?! Not much I can do about that I suppose.

When they cut it, did they do a good job? I don't like the design nor do I plan on doing that, but I'm just curious on how close did they come to the "border" or is the gray border just to show us the edges of your card.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »
    I think this was a mistake eek7.gif
    I was going through the thread trying to come up with my own logo and now I have to scroll through business cards to get back to more info on what is good or bad about different logos.
    Showing your business card and designing Logos are two different themes.
    You have essentially killed the logo design thread for me.

I agree. If you need feedback on a card/logo design, you're probably not going to get it. If you post a new thread, people will probably respond. The title says "Show us your Business Card", it doesn't say I need feedback on it. Just my 2 pennies. :D
  • Options
    erniesernies Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 14, 2011
    Here is my business card - Hope you can see the edges.... Its slighly difficult to make out... Its printed with metallic silver foil..

i-SJg7gct-XL.jpg
  • Options
    lacyvernallacyvernal Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    ernies wrote: »
    Here is my business card - Hope you can see the edges.... Its slighly difficult to make out... Its printed with metallic silver foil..

i-SJg7gct-XL.jpg

Ernie those are sweet!! thumb.gif I'd love to know where you get them.
    Lacy Lange
    Lacy Lange Photography
    www.lacylange.com
    Twitter: @lacylange
  • Options
    lacyvernallacyvernal Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    When they cut it, did they do a good job? I don't like the design nor do I plan on doing that, but I'm just curious on how close did they come to the "border" or is the gray border just to show us the edges of your card.

They did an awesome job on the cut. The cut is exactly where the gray line is on my post. I love the response I get from clients on them, and mine stands out among all the rest of the "rectangle" cards they get handed on a daily basis. Mine is more likely to be remembered.
    Lacy Lange
    Lacy Lange Photography
    www.lacylange.com
    Twitter: @lacylange
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    lacyvernal wrote: »
    I'd love to know where you get them.
    They look like they may have come from these guys.
  • Options
    erniesernies Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 23, 2011
    Frosted Business Cards...
    They look like they may have come from these guys.

hi Guys... they came from these guys...

http://www.cpcards.co.uk/clear_business_cards.html.. they look amazing in the flesh!!!..

I paid £94 for 200... but I think you can get them cheaper!!

Thanks!! :D
  • Options
    nvisiblephotonvisiblephoto Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Wow! I am really impressed with the variety and quality of the cards posted here.

I just ordered a batch of these from a firm in the UK. As you can see from the JPG (which is directly from the design firm), they are translucent plastic. I'm pretty happy with them, but they're so pricey that I am looking for something cheaper that I can hand out in large quantities. Maybe I'll look into some of those mini-cards. . .

By the way, if you are interested in this translucent plastic idea, the firm is Plasma Design. They are incredibly responsive and patient, able to work out exactly what you want. The only downside is the price: $399 for 250. :cry

Ouch, $400 for 250? I wouldn't want to hand those suckers out at that price.
    Unique. Artistic. Unconventional.
    http://www.NVisiblePhoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2011
    Ouch, $400 for 250? I wouldn't want to hand those suckers out at that price.
    £94 = $US400? eek7.gif
  • Options
    kathiemtkathiemt Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    Mine cost $110 for the design and I got 1,000 cards printed free as they were included with another print job as a special offer.
  • Options
    DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Looking for feedback on card design
    I'm planning on printing a few of these. The site isn't up yet, but it will be consistent with the business card. What do you think ?

davidinis_businesscard.jpg
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2011
    That's good, it's what I wanted :)
    Not really... I wanted the cleanest design possible and I figured 2 colours was enough. How would you use red ?
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    If you specialize in one of the three types of categories possibly in there. My card I designed had pop of red in Free. I like yours simple and sleek like that honestly.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Yeah, I think I'm ready to print it. What do you think about including my phone number ? I plan on leaving them around so I don't think I want to be getting random calls from people I've never even met. If I really want to give out my number I can write it down on the white part.
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Davidoff wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'm ready to print it. What do you think about including my phone number ? I plan on leaving them around so I don't think I want to be getting random calls from people I've never even met. If I really want to give out my number I can write it down on the white part.

I had the same problem. I actually printed two sets of cards - one with the number and one without. But you can even go with writing your number down in the white space (you would have to be carrying a pen at all times though). mwink.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Hey guys, if you're running a business and want business, then you make sure you have all possible forms of contact on your cards. Phone, email, web and even postal address. I know for a fact that if I can't contact someone when I'm ready to do business with them I move onto the next person. And so will many others. Make it easy for your clients.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    David, my first impression is you put distance between yourself and your clients. No phone number? Contact@ instead of David@.

You do not look like a person I would choose to do business with. When I need YOU I want YOU right away!

The graphic elements in any card are mostly BS in my opinion. When I reach for a card I need to find it easily. My own filing system is a fruit bowl with >100 different cards - color coding helps reach me. Other people use card scanners - and here your card does not work either. Everybody has their own system for filing cards and mostly they do not work well.

Having a card that will be kept when the fruit bowl fills up might help - although the chances of someone calling you after a year or two are very remote in any case A funny or striking image might help, odd sizes are challenging to throw away and tend to stay on the desk-top, clean standard designs will see you disappear into a binder never to be seen again.

My bottom line in this is to think a lot more pragmatically about what you need to communicate and to whom. Nice design by the way.

Kathie's card is a lot stronger. Colorful. Approachable - lots of contact info, feels like a warm person. Not something I would throw away quickly.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2011
    Kathie's card is a lot stronger. Colorful. Approachable - lots of contact info, feels like a warm person. Not something I would throw away quickly.

Gee thanks for that. A lot of thought went into it with a graphic designer helping me.
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    I'm planning on printing a few of these. The site isn't up yet, but it will be consistent with the business card. What do you think ?

davidinis_businesscard.jpg

I actually really like your card. It is simple and understated. I find that putting too many photos and information on a card detracts from a card and makes it look cheap. The only change I would make are putting a different email addy (as the other poster said, maybe with your name). I leave the phone number to you - if it is a business number then you might as well add it.

Cheers,
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 23, 2011
    I like the clean, elegant look of your card David and about the only thing I'd change is the email address. "contact at daviddinis dot com" is less personal than say "david at ...". If you're not going to put a phone number on the card, the later address makes the card more personal and helps overcome the lack of a phone number.

The advantage of not having a number is that you can spend a minute or two more with a potential client while you add it to the card--just have a pen handy. As always, there's the danger not having a number will turn off a client. If you're afraid of the random calls, why not use a second line and just forward that to voicemail when you cannot answer it personally?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2011
    I don't think I want to be getting random calls from people I've never even met.
    ne_nau.gif

Aren't they the calls you want?
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    ne_nau.gif

Aren't they the calls you want?

This is exactly right. The nicest calls are from people you never met - new business. Mostly life is a result of working your network, repeats, own actions. When you get a call from someone you never met and never approached you know things are starting to click.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2011
    When you get a call from someone you never met and never approached you know things are starting to click.

Pun intended? rolleyes1.gif

I agree. I've been running a business (not photography) for over 17 years. It's the phone calls that keep things running - that and those who fill out the contact form on my website. If you're running a business you can't afford to hide - not having contact details on a business card virtually equals no business.
  • Options
    psycchic1psycchic1 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Comments & Critique welcome for this biz card...
    The logo (heron + Lisa Langell Photography) was designed for me by a local professional designer.

The card, due to time constraints, was designed by me in the wee hours of the night, as I had an upcoming "gig" that I needed them for ASAP.

I'm welcoming comments, feedback, even design suggestions (or grand validation of the current design :D).

I use Moo cards, so the "back" of the card is one of a number of assorted images.

My primary clientele are small businesses (for office decor), realtors (staging), and the general public (home/home office art), though I am always interested in expanding my market.

I welcome sincere, thoughtful suggestions from all levels of experts. Thank you in advance!thumb.gif
    Lisa Langell
    LangellPhotography.com
    Honorable Mention (2010) National Wildlife Federation
    "Photographing the world isn't simply documenting that you saw it...
    ...it's capturing how you experienced it!"
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    I like what you have Lisa and if you have one of your images on the back, then that completes it. You have a good assortment of contact details - not everyone likes to contact people the same way, so you give them choices. I think your saying up the top is a little wordy but it gets the point across. Love the logo.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2011
    psycchic1 wrote: »
    The logo (heron + Lisa Langell Photography) was designed for me by a local professional designer.

The card, due to time constraints, was designed by me in the wee hours of the night, as I had an upcoming "gig" that I needed them for ASAP.

I'm welcoming comments, feedback, even design suggestions (or grand validation of the current design :D).

I use Moo cards, so the "back" of the card is one of a number of assorted images.

My primary clientele are small businesses (for office decor), realtors (staging), and the general public (home/home office art), though I am always interested in expanding my market.

I welcome sincere, thoughtful suggestions from all levels of experts. Thank you in advance!thumb.gif

Way, way, waaaay to busy for me. Less is more.

I don't like the competing vertical and horizontal text. Pick one. I would lose your tag line...nobody really cares (at least I don't).

I do like your logo! :)
  • Options
    SequoiaSequoia Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    Gold colored foil on gloss marbled green card stock.

White was the previous one. The white is easier to read, but the gold color looks better.
  • Options
    ewebwomanewebwoman Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 7, 2011
    Here is my new business card (and my new web site). I got a 50% off deal from Miller's Lab when I attended the Turn the Key seminar with JD Sallee & Lori Nordstrom last month. Let me know what you think. One side is my splash image and the other in on my Contact page at www.wd3photography.com. There are still some things I want to do but haven't had time to search thru the forums yet. Thanks for your feedback.
    Debbie