Countdown to Dgrin 2.0

123457»

Comments

• MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    I like the new interface, except finding my posts is not as obvious to me yet. But that's already mentioned.

So, I read the first 3 pages then jumped to post this, so sorry if this has been mentioned before. I have to get to work.
    The big thing is the loss of the header when scrolling down a thread. If I decide to leave a thread, I have to scroll all the way back up to the top to get to the menu bar. This is awkward. I do not remember this in 1.0.
    I am using Firefox 5.0 in a win7 system.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    You mean the top navbar? You can go to the top of a page easily by pressing the Home key.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited August 9, 2011
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    The big thing is the loss of the header when scrolling down a thread. If I decide to leave a thread, I have to scroll all the way back up to the top to get to the menu bar. This is awkward. I do not remember this in 1.0.
    1.0 worked the same way. Letting the header scroll leaves more room in the window for pics.

There are a number of things you can do to avoid lots of scrolling. As mentioned above, you can use the Home key to get to the top of the thread. Most touchpads these days support a gesture that will scroll to the top quickly. If, like me, you prefer to use a mouse, you could install a Firefox extension called Back to Top 6.0.1, which adds a jump to top to the right-click menu and also lets you have buttons at the bottom and/or top of the browser to jump to the top or bottom. Finally, you can use the browser Back button to get to the previous screen. My keyboard has dedicated Last Page and Next Page keys and my mouse has buttons for both. As you can see, I really hate scrolling. lol3.gif
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    Hi Gang,

I love the new look and feel of Dgrin but I kinda miss the # of views column for each post. It's often interesting to see the ratio of views to replies but all we see now is just the number of replies. Will # of views be added back in?

Thanks.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    Hi Gang,

I love the new look and feel of Dgrin but I kinda miss the # of views column for each post. It's often interesting to see the ratio of views to replies but all we see now is just the number of replies. Will # of views be added back in?

Thanks.

You can see the # of views. Just hover over this spot:
    20110811-83ruecpneeucpjdpckh6k884um.jpg
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    Whoda thunk? Thanks Andy.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Justin BJustin B Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 488
    edited August 11, 2011
    catspaw wrote: »
    I love it at home, but alas I can no longer use dgrin from work since this update :cry

yes, we're forced to only use IE6, and I'm completely used to the 'your web experience may be less than optimal, please upgrade to a modern browser' message (and I'm okay with less than optimal. I'm sadly used to this). However, dgrin's message is not just at the top of the page, but COVERS most of the page and there is no dismiss/close box. This message shows up on 90% of the pages, but not all the time (with no consistency). Just enough to give me hope... then it pops up again and will NOT go away and there is no way to make it go away.

So, guess I have to give up dgrin for a while. Sorry guys. see ya. ne_nau.gif

(and I'm entirely serious with NO choice in the IE6/windows choice. so please don't tell me how idiotic it is, I'm pretty well aware. thanks.)

I just rolled out a new IE6 warning. You should now be able to browse dgrin without the popup bothering you.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Justin B wrote: »
    I just rolled out a new IE6 warning. You should now be able to browse dgrin without the popup bothering you.

Yes! I can! love! thank you :Dclap.gif
    //Leah
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    I still haven't heard a good response to my question about vertical space. A very short time ago, SmugMug was so concerned about saving space in this forum (presumably so we all wouldn't need to scroll & page any more than necessary) that we were asked to shorten our signatures & the vertical space in those was condensed more. But now we have a majority of posts taking more space than they need.... often much more. (and I don't mean to say all of this is a new problem, because some of it was happening before as well, but since we're changing stuff & shortened sigs to help out, couldn't we condense a lot of empty space and save thousands of pages?

Here's what I notice in the new version (and I can't compare to the old precisely as I can't see the old anymore): It appears there's a Minimum height for a Post box, & that minimum is simply too great. On my screen, it appears the very shortest Post box is about 2 inches high. I see a lot of one, two, or three-line posts that could fit into a 1/2" box, but they're still occupying 2 inches of the page, plus the other blank space around them. Could something be done about this, so that a 20-page thread could be maybe turned into a 15-page thread or so? And scrolling would take us through many more posts, without paging... this would be absolutely fantastic. A lot of people also have an inch or more of blank space under their sigs, for no apparent reason. Visually & functionally, it would be great to get rid of it.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    I still haven't heard a good response to my question about vertical space. A very short time ago, SmugMug was so concerned about saving space in this forum (presumably so we all wouldn't need to scroll & page any more than necessary) that we were asked to shorten our signatures & the vertical space in those was condensed more. But now we have a majority of posts taking more space than they need.... often much more. (and I don't mean to say all of this is a new problem, because some of it was happening before as well, but since we're changing stuff & shortened sigs to help out, couldn't we condense a lot of empty space and save thousands of pages?

Here's what I notice in the new version (and I can't compare to the old precisely as I can't see the old anymore): It appears there's a Minimum height for a Post box, & that minimum is simply too great. On my screen, it appears the very shortest Post box is about 2 inches high. I see a lot of one, two, or three-line posts that could fit into a 1/2" box, but they're still occupying 2 inches of the page, plus the other blank space around them. Could something be done about this, so that a 20-page thread could be maybe turned into a 15-page thread or so? And scrolling would take us through many more posts, without paging... this would be absolutely fantastic. A lot of people also have an inch or more of blank space under their sigs, for no apparent reason. Visually & functionally, it would be great to get rid of it.

This behavior hasn't changed from the old skin. The profile information on the left determines the minimum height of the post, regardless of post length.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited August 12, 2011
    Not really a bug, but something I've noticed recently: When I post, esp. a long post, it automatically puts my words from the Quick Reply box to a new post above the box. This is normal. However, doing this always lengthens the page, because there's another post to show. So the Quick Reply box and everything below it have to move down. Okay. HOWEVER, the facebook "like" button (under the "Tell The World!" bar) doesn't move down with everything else. I just stays where it is, in relation to my browser window, and if the post is long, it hovers to the left of the post. The +1 and Tweet buttons move down as normal, but the Like button doesn't. Just FYI. Refreshing the page fixes it.
    edited August 12, 2011
    A very short time ago, SmugMug was so concerned about saving space in this forum

SM hosts DGrin, but I don't think they run it. It's run by the mods/admins, AFAIK.
    edited August 12, 2011
    Not really a bug, but something I've noticed recently: When I post, esp. a long post, it automatically puts my words from the Quick Reply box to a new post above the box. This is normal. However, doing this always lengthens the page, because there's another post to show. So the Quick Reply box and everything below it have to move down. Okay. HOWEVER, the facebook "like" button (under the "Tell The World!" bar) doesn't move down with everything else. I just stays where it is, in relation to my browser window, and if the post is long, it hovers to the left of the post. The +1 and Tweet buttons move down as normal, but the Like button doesn't. Just FYI. Refreshing the page fixes it.
    Can you post a screen shot?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 12, 2011
    This was a very short post, so it didn't quite make it up above the Quick Reply box:

i-DzPzR7R-XL.png
    edited August 13, 2011
    This was a very short post, so it didn't quite make it up above the Quick Reply box:

Browser/OS?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 13, 2011
    Win7, and still using IE8. Sorry Andy, I love the IE8 favorites bar. I know I'll have to switch someday, but I hope that IE10 or some other browser does a favorites bar again.

If the Like button not moving is on my end, I can deal with it... doesn't bother me, just thought I'd let you know.
    edited August 13, 2011
    I added an item to the first post.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    This is probably 205 but is there anyway we could add the old forum style (which is still available as "cRAsH" on ADV) to the list of options here on dgrin?
    edited August 15, 2011
    This is probably 205 but is there anyway we could add the old forum style (which is still available as "cRAsH" on ADV) to the list of options here on dgrin?

Sorry, we no longer support that style. There are too many things in it that are no longer here or have changed.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    Hi Gang,

Thanks.

I agree. I think this is big shortcoming. Even though you can see the views by hovering, I think that showing the number of views in its own separate column was valuable. To me it quickly and easily showed the level of interest in a topic that has been posted by somebody else or by myself. I miss that feature.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited August 18, 2011
    Yes, but remember that we canned thread view numbers because they were inconsistent with real user views. The longer a thread existed, the longer the search bots had to crawl all over it. Length of time = more hits/views, but not by real users, but web search engines. So when a thread had 1,505,888 views and was 6 years old, it didn't represent reality anymore. Because the stats on them were so b0rked, and because we wanted a cleaner looking design, we eliminated the column. The hovering ability was a compromise.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited August 18, 2011
    To me it quickly and easily showed the level of interest in a topic that has been posted by somebody else or by myself. I miss that feature.
    I think the number of replies is a more reliable measure of interest.
  • martinjp2martinjp2 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    It would be nice to have previous thread / next thread added to the top of the page. It's a pain to have to go to the bottom of the page to get to the next thread if it's a long thread I'm not interested in. Plus those nav items aren't always at the bottom of the page so it ends up wasting time.
  • garratt15agarratt15a Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    If you hover your mouse pointer over the last post date, the reply and view counts pop up. thumb.gif

Well, not working for me.....Why not just put it back on display as it used to be ?
    It's a very handy tool.

Andy
    edited September 9, 2011
    garratt15a wrote: »
    Well, not working for me.....Why not just put it back on display as it used to be ?
    It's a very handy tool.

Andy

We'd be happy to see if we can help you figure out why hover's not working, but we won't be putting view count back on display as it was. It's just a rather meaningless number driven by search bots more than anything.
    Moderator Emeritus