Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Your site looks good. It's clean and it's easy to navigate.

There appears to be a problem with your site in Chrome though. I can view everything using IE or Firefox, but in Chrome when I click anything from your Galleries menu entry I am taken to an essentially blank page. Your header is there (logo and menu), the breadcrumb is showing. Below the breadcrumb I see the word Galleries and nothing else.

The other thing that jumped out at me is that you have your email address as text on many pages. That's a good way to attract spam (from a spambot harvesting email addresses from pages). Have you considered using the smug contact form? Or a Wufoo form?

--- Denise

Just adding that i just went to the site and have the same blank screens. Using Mac and Chrome! I would get the Hero's looking at this ASAP! WHAT????? I had left your Tab up while writing this. I went back to the tab to take a screen print for here. The images were showing!!! Went to a few more of the galleries and they were working. Something weird with Chrome still and maybe your Theme used.
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Hi guys,

So I created a demo site with the New SmugMug - www.clarkkentphotography.smugmug.com

And I also created a couple of tutorials to show people how to create a site just like this one.

The first tutorial is for people migrating from the old "Legacy" SmugMug to the New SmugMug ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb--arKdrdY

And the second tutorial is for people starting with the New SmugMug from scratch ---

http://www.photographyontheside.com/gorgeous-smugmug-tutorial

If you're struggling with your site, check out these videos, and maybe they'll help you!

That's why I made them. :)

Cheers
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    So now that we have our sites looking better it might be time to start a thread showing off organization ideas. I know that I am really challenged by how to best make use of the new levels of folders available in the new Smugmug.

Check out my new look here. A big thanks to Harm for the 3:1 image idea...

www.jwpictures.smugmug.com

attaboy!
  • Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    So now that we have our sites looking better it might be time to start a thread showing off organization ideas. I know that I am really challenged by how to best make use of the new levels of folders available in the new Smugmug.

Check out my new look here. A big thanks to Harm for the 3:1 image idea...

www.jwpictures.smugmug.com
    That's just excellent. What a great splash image.
    Did you crop the slide images especially down to fit so well?
    clap.gifclap
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Ocamrzr wrote: »
    Hey guys,saw some beautiful sites on this thread.I'm more of a enthusiast ,not a pro.I decided to finally make one of my own.I like the full-screen look,and also wanted to keep it rather simple.Feedback will be much appreciated :D

Here is the link: www.thelazygoan.com

You have a beautiful photo on your homepage, but the text gets lost with the white on white
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013

Here are my two cents
    Someone whose opinion I appreciate once told me to minimize the number of clicks visitors need before reaching the photos. Hence – One level of folders, no sub folders. This results in “big” folders (Travel has 15 galleries) but the only place this is a slight problem is the expanded navbar.

I organized all the galleries in 4 folders: Travel, Nature, Art and Misc.

Then for the exhibitions and the new photos, I have galleries in the root folder. At first they were in a folder named "other" which is sort of my "back stage", but the breadcrumbs looked like "home \ other \ new photos, and I didn't want people clicking on "other".
  • Options
    aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Love this Aaron!

Thanks Michael!
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Tmartin wrote: »
    I finally had the time to spend a weekend updating and unveiling our SmugMug site. Thanks to all the amazing posts in the forum on customization, without those I would not have made it.

http://www.markandtracyphotos.com/

Can anyone explain how to get the Zoom Slideshow (HTML/CSS, not SmugMug's slideshow) to appear UNDER the header? With the code given, my slideshow is full screen with the header on top of the images. Thanks!
  • Options
    canderson1229canderson1229 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    aaronbrown wrote: »
    Hey guys & gals,

I finally bit the bullet and unveiled my site today. I'm still hoping for some fixes/additions (lowercase urls & full-screen background slideshow I don't have to write myself in css to name two), but I wanted a redesign to help bring new clients my way for next year.

If any of you are interested in letting me know what you think, and if there are any problems or bugs, I'd really appreciate the fresh set of eyes.

Thanks so much!
    ab

www.aaronbrownphotos.com

Nice looking site Aaron!
  • Options
    JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Still trying to get used to the new Smugmug, but so far I really like it.

My site.
  • Options
    OcamrzrOcamrzr Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2013
    einat wrote: »
    You have a beautiful photo on your homepage, but the text gets lost with the white on white

Thanks for checking out my site,yeah I thought so too,but I couldn't think of any other colour combination that works,and I wanted to have a black and white photo as the page background though.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Ocamrzr wrote: »
    Thanks for checking out my site,yeah I thought so too,but I couldn't think of any other colour combination that works,and I wanted to have a black and white photo as the page background though.

Here is the link: www.thelazygoan.com
    Then open a new thread and ask for ideas. Maybe there's a way, by using CSS code, to have an opaque background for a text box

Or, you could place the text over a darker part of the frame, if you don’t mind losing the symmetry.
    But if this is what you chose to do, don’t just move it a bit to the right (and the social icons a bit to the left maybe), place it so that it’s clear that this is what you meant, otherwise it would just look sloppy.

Or, you could chose a different color (but then you lose the b&w look which is very nice)

BTW, you can add you’re site’s link to your signature.

• Options
    jclgurujclguru Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013

My site.

Nice to see somebody from Findlay. Lived there for about 13 years when I was working with
    Marathon Oil.

Like your site, except, I can't see any of your menu items unless I hover over them. Otherwise,
    they're totally black and a guessing game on what I might pick.

Same thing with your banner, it's so dark I almost don't see that also.

I'm using IE 9 in case its a problem with my browser.

Doug
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    jclguru wrote: »
    Nice to see somebody from Findlay. Lived there for about 13 years when I was working with
    Marathon Oil.

Like your site, except, I can't see any of your menu items unless I hover over them. Otherwise,

Doug

looks fine for me on safari, did the background image load for you?
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    jclguru wrote: »
    Marathon Oil.

Doug

Hmmm. It loaded fine for me in IE and Firefox. I'll look into it. Thanks!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013

My site.

Looks good, Jake!
  • Options
    OcamrzrOcamrzr Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2013
    Then open a new thread and ask for ideas. Maybe there's a way, by using CSS code, to have an opaque background for a text box

Or, you could place the text over a darker part of the frame, if you don’t mind losing the symmetry.
    But if this is what you chose to do, don’t just move it a bit to the right (and the social icons a bit to the left maybe), place it so that it’s clear that this is what you meant, otherwise it would just look sloppy.

Or, you could chose a different color (but then you lose the b&w look which is very nice)

BTW, you can add you’re site’s link to your signature.

Yup,did that just now.Will add the link to the signature,thanks for the tip :)
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Looks good, Jake!

Thanks Mitchell!
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013

My site.

I noticed that when you click on Clients the link isnt quite right. It doesnt take you anywhere. It takes you to /Client which doesnt seem to be a real folder so I think it defaults to the Browse page.

Unless thats by design. You may want to liknk that to the Clients folder or use a link of #
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    jwashburn wrote: »
    I noticed that when you click on Clients the link isnt quite right. It doesnt take you anywhere. It takes you to /Client which doesnt seem to be a real folder so I think it defaults to the Browse page.

Unless thats by design. You may want to liknk that to the Clients folder or use a link of #

Thanks for pointing that out. I had used a drop down menu, but I decided to create a page instead. It should be fixed now.

Thanks,
    Jake
  • Options
    pileofprintspileofprints Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    a new take on the classic Smug featured gallery look unveiled
    Thank you New Smugmug for allowing me to represent a gallery with a photo that is not in that gallery!

It would have been so easy to leave out this feature which was essential to my redesign.

My new site design shows what you can do just with this more flexible way to feature photos to identify a gallery.

I'm aware that the initial lack of explanatory titling on the home page may engender a little "WTF!" or, hopefully, "what have we here?"

I'm just hoping that the design elements I created and another New Smugmug feature I love -- "info hover" (over a gallery) -- makes it engaging enough that people will be encouraged to explore.

Let me know what you think.

Also, as others have noted concerning their sites, the photo films are not running as smooth and perfect as they were on the old Smugmug. I'm hoping this will improve soon.

http://www.pileofprints.com/

Special thanks to Leftquark for "Frequently Requested Simple Modifications / Tweaks"
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Thank you New Smugmug for allowing me to represent a gallery with a photo that is not in that gallery!

It would have been so easy to leave out this feature which was essential to my redesign.

My new site design shows what you can do just with this more flexible way to feature photos to identify a gallery.

I'm aware that the initial lack of explanatory titling on the home page may engender a little "WTF!" or, hopefully, "what have we here?"

I'm just hoping that the design elements I created and another New Smugmug feature I love -- "info hover" (over a gallery) -- makes it engaging enough that people will be encouraged to explore.

Also, as others have noted concerning their sites, the photo films are not running as smooth and perfect as they were on the old Smugmug. I'm hoping this will improve soon.

Special thanks to Leftquark for "Frequently Requested Simple Modifications / Tweaks"

It's really creative - but you know that.
    A very different approach to what can be done, and I enjoyed it very much, besides the fact that the photos themselves are great.

There's a CSS code to remove the icon for folders and galleries. Since you added a short description of what to expect of each link, the icon is redundant. I think you'd be interested in it, see this thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238811&highlight=.sm-tile-album
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013

When clicking on your logo I reach a "page not found" instead of your homepage.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    how can I link a header image to home page?
    When clicking on your logo I reach a "page not found" instead of your homepage.

Thank you for pointing this out.

I already had the URL for my site in the appropriate place in the header options box. And I just tested that there were no errors in what I had typed. However, I'm using an image for my header, not text.

There were problems with the typography with the font - Gochi Hand. So I made an image in photoshop using this Smugmug or google supplied font. I'm guessing that that return URL doesn't work so automatically with images.

Is there a way to make clicking on that logo image OR anywhere in the header return to my home page?

-- and thanks for the tip on how to eliminate the extra stacked file icon from the hover text - that makes it look even cleaner, which is what I was aiming for.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Is there a way to make clicking on that logo image OR anywhere in the header return to my home page.

I'm using logo BLOCK, not a PHOTO block, and I think that linking to hopepage is what this block does, I just checked my settings and the url box is empty, yet clicking my header photo does send you to my homepage (at least in IE10, there's something that's not working in g-chrome).
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    I'm using logo BLOCK, not a PHOTO block, and I think that linking to hopepage is what this block does, I just checked my settings and the url box is empty, yet clicking my header photo does send you to my homepage (at least in IE10, there's something that's not working in g-chrome).

That was easy!

I was using the Logo block

I just removed the URL from where it is supposed to go in the Basic tab of Logo dialog box and then it works! and it works on Google Chrome. That must only be for text, which is what I started out with.

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013

First of all, wow Brian. Fantastic photos!

Your black and white street shots are something I'd give my right arm to be able to produce.

But one thing I did notice with your site, is that a lot of your links are set to open up in new browser tabs. I, personally, find this to be quite annoying. I'd prefer to stay and browse in one tab. The only time I'd select the option to open a link to a new tab is when you have a link that takes people off your website. For example, a facebook page, amazon, or something like that.

Hope that helps.

Great job.

Ryan
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    aaronbrown wrote: »

If any of you are interested in letting me know what you think, and if there are any problems or bugs, I'd really appreciate the fresh set of eyes.

www.aaronbrownphotos.com

Hi Aaron - First thing I notice is just how long it takes for each image on your homepage slideshow to load. Might just be me --- I'm using a iMac with Chrome. ??

I LOVE your about page. Without even reading the text, you've got so many wonderful design/layout elements that it feels like a page I just want to keep open in my browser forever.

OK, that was a bit much, wasn't it. :)

But really, it's very well done.

The "Published" page of your portfolio is a great idea --- but again, journal style is taking its sweet time loading all of the images. And I also find it's just too much scrolling. Have you tried one of the collage viewing styles? Or maybe you really need to highlight the text - which is what journal does best.

Overall, I love how clean your site is.

It's very easy to navigate, shows off your style and images wonderfully.

Very well done sir.

Ryan
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    Oakley wrote: »
    First of all, wow Brian. Fantastic photos!

Your black and white street shots are something I'd give my right arm to be able to produce.

But one thing I did notice with your site, is that a lot of your links are set to open up in new browser tabs. I, personally, find this to be quite annoying. I'd prefer to stay and browse in one tab. The only time I'd select the option to open a link to a new tab is when you have a link that takes people off your website. For example, a facebook page, amazon, or something like that.

Hope that helps.

Great job.

Ryan

Thank you, Ryan for pointing out how poorly I was using tabs. I wasn't even consistent in when I was opening new tabs. I changed it so that I only open a new tab when I move to my photo blog which is hosted by blogspot (and previous to your comment that was one of the times I wasn't opening in a new blog!)

Thanks also for your comments on my street photos. Until I did this remake of my site I had considered my street photography in India a failure because the yield was so low. I'm still coming to grips with how perhaps that is the nature of street photography.
  • Options
    DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    Oakley wrote: »
    Hi Aaron - First thing I notice is just how long it takes for each image on your homepage slideshow to load. Might just be me --- I'm using a iMac with Chrome. ??

I LOVE your about page. Without even reading the text, you've got so many wonderful design/layout elements that it feels like a page I just want to keep open in my browser forever.

OK, that was a bit much, wasn't it. :)

But really, it's very well done.

The "Published" page of your portfolio is a great idea --- but again, journal style is taking its sweet time loading all of the images. And I also find it's just too much scrolling. Have you tried one of the collage viewing styles? Or maybe you really need to highlight the text - which is what journal does best.

Overall, I love how clean your site is.

It's very easy to navigate, shows off your style and images wonderfully.

Very well done sir.

Ryan

The homepage images seem to load fine on Firefox for Windows and Mac, I don't use Chrome so I can't replicate that and the company I work for has not rolled out the latest version of IE, so I can't load most of the new SmugMug sites on it.
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G