Options

>>> challenge 19 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 11, 2004
    If we can crop for being slightly askew, can we crop/transform to correct for perspective distortion also? Or must the distortion of the wide angle be made to stay apparent? I have a couple of images that were shot with about a 12mm wide angle on a 10D or 12mm x 1.6 mag factor = 19.2 mm but the shots have been corrected in PS for perspective distortion - otherwise they are full frame - Is this OK?

This is what they look like.... all with 12-24 mm Sigma zoom at the wide end

7212481-L.jpg

7212486-L.jpg

7212487-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    cropping to correct distortion
    yes, but minor cropping only. i understand the need for this and i'm okay with it.

remember folks the intent here is to be a hard-ass on purpose :D becuase we want to compose with the viewfinder not photoshop.

to reiterate: minor, very minor, cropping to correct horizon or perspective is OK with me.

thanks for the heads up, pf!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    How do I use the Free Transform tool to get the right perspective on life, and is that considered a minor adjustment?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    lol - okay
    whatever it is :D

just be sure you shoot wiiiiiiiiide.

oh and do read petteri's article, it's really good!
    DoctorIt wrote:
    YIKES!
    Andy, for once, I have to disagree with you: never, ever, ever call it a crop factor within a contest that has a no crop rule!!! rolleyes1.gif

Its a multiplier, suffice to say, the CMOS chip in the Drebel is not the same size as a 35mm film, and the result is this factor. Ginger, I have to admit, sometimes your posts get too long for me so I skim, but there's no mystery or halving and subtracting 9, its straight up:

(focal length) x 1.6 = (corrected focal length)

back to trying to catch up...
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Transform/distortion
    wxwax wrote:
    How do I use the Free Transform tool to get the right perspective on life, and is that considered a minor adjustment?

My camera is very bad with this particular thing. I got the camera the day before I left on my vacation last summer. I took lots of pictures of churches and towers in Italy. I was shocked to see the warped images on my computer when I returned. I finally learned about this tool.

Click on Image> Transform> Distort. Then pull the top corners of the frame out until the image is straight. There really is no cropping required. You lose a tiny bit of the image on the sides, that's all. Now, I do this in Photoshop Elements, but I assume Photoshop is the same for you other guys.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    This is a wide angle challenge, and that shot was not a wide angle. As much as you like the picture, it doesn't fit the theme & criteria. So the facts are academic, and for a reason.

Thanks for humoring me & sticking to the challenge rules.

Dave (Purist)
    Ok, do you mind if I get to it, when I get to it. I am sitting with papers all over.

I will take it down and now. But I was waiting for the results of the Challenge, which I would assume you could understand, and I undertook to collate and put together all the tutorials I have collected, so I would have some order.

But to humor you, anything.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Here's an example...
    snapapple wrote:
    My camera is very bad with this particular thing. I got the camera the day before I left on my vacation last summer. I took lots of pictures of churches and towers in Italy. I was shocked to see the warped images on my computer when I returned. I finally learned about this tool.

I never had this problem with my Tamron lens. There was hardly any distortion at all. I really think this is a defect with this camera (Olympus c5050z).

Here's a composit with the before and after. Look at that *bent* pillar on the left!
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    >> challenge 18 - comments by andy <<
    comments on all entrants, including the finalists and the winner, made by me are in this thread

harry will get to his today and tomorrow.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Er...
    andy wrote:
    comments on all entrants, including the finalists and the winner, made by me are in this thread

harry will get to his today and tomorrow.
    Hey Andy, I think you missed mine. I was anxious to read your (and Harry's) comments/areas for improvement. Thanks!
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Found myself in another pub at lunchtime (artistic purposes only Simone! :D)

7201340-S.jpg

I like this one a lot, Gubbs! Great job preserving the mid and near fore detail.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    dj - so sorry!
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Hey Andy, I think you missed mine. I was anxious to read your (and Harry's) comments/areas for improvement. Thanks!

so sorry, you are right. i missed yours. it's done now. keep on the lookout for harry's comments.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    andy wrote:
    so sorry, you are right. i missed yours. it's done now. keep on the lookout for harry's comments.
    No prob, thanks for all the effort you put into this. thumb.gif
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    If we can crop for being slightly askew, can we crop/transform to correct for perspective distortion also? Or must the distortion of the wide angle be made to stay apparent? I have a couple of images that were shot with about a 12mm wide angle on a 10D or 12mm x 1.6 mag factor = 19.2 mm but the shots have been corrected in PS for perspective distortion - otherwise they are full frame - Is this OK?

This is what they look like.... all with 12-24 mm Sigma zoom at the wide end

7212486-S.jpg

A very good friend of mine took a trip to France last year and took a bunch of pictures of doors ... houses, buildings, whatever grabbed him. I've been hooked ever since! I think we should have a door challenge :D

Nice shot.

Brad
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    I would like to use the wide opportunity to try shooting crooked and converging bldgs. Most of ours aren't that big, so I probably won't. I have some shots of the bridge that need to be "fixed", but I have enough others that don't. Learning how to fix them is not as easy as picking another one.

I just wondered if anyone else had thought of using the distortion, rather than fighting it.

ginger
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    7201340-S.jpg
    I think this photo has great mood. It's been 20 years since I was in Great Britain, but this brings back strong memories, smells, sounds ... I think that maybe that's partly what makes a great picture. Something that provides an instant connection for the viewer.

Great shot!
    Brad
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    The Entertainer 18mm by ginger
    7222620-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Boy Entertainer 18mm by ginger
    7222621-L.jpg

He played for money. He looked so unhappy.
    I don't think it was just the camera, either.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Flowers for the girl 18mm by ginger
    7222623-L.jpg
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    Quiet Falls... Wide angle.

Took the boys to Busch Gardens again today, and while getting ready to leave tonight, decided to grab my camera and take a few shots.

200asa 4 second exposure, ambient light source from the park, 8.9mm/14.24mm

"Quiet Falls"
    7221550-L.jpg

Pathfinder, I love the door shot, also think doors would be a good challenge...

Ginger Very nice waiting for Sunset... Nice color.

This is going to be another busy challenge...

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    Hey Ginger... He does look sad doesn't he? Money doesn't buy happiness? What does it look like without the PS blurring? I wonder at the background...

See you're up late too... I'm heading down for the night now, though.
    Bonne Nuit

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    gubbs wrote:

7201340-S.jpg

Gubbsie, I really like this. I like the backlighting and the shape. Quite a lot of pure black in the foreground?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Gubbsie, I really like this. I like the backlighting and the shape. Quite a lot of pure black in the foreground?
    Thanks Sid,
    There is a huge dynamic range, I did shoot it in raw though, so I'm sure I can get more out of it. Some guidance on blending different exposures would be really helpful... I'll check out the "hall" later on
    Thanks again
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    gubbs wrote:

7201340-S.jpg

Lovely! Great one Gubbs! Glad you guys hang out in pubs..for artistic purposes..of course.. :D
    The dark foreground doesn't bother me at all, i'm curious to see what you're going to do in post..
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Generations 18mm by ginger
    7225359-L.jpg

In Mt Pleasant there is the forgotten road,
    People meet on tuesday, generations together
    enjoy the food and the music. They enjoy
    each other.

g
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Lovely! Great one Gubbs! Glad you guys hang out in pubs..for artistic purposes..of course.. :D
    The dark foreground doesn't bother me at all, i'm curious to see what you're going to do in post..
    Thanks Simone, It was a very hot day, so I did manage a drink too, a very cold "Amstel" coincidently.
    I don't want to do too much, just a hint of detail in the foreground, If I can work out how to do it :D

Sorry Lynn and Digismile, I was working backwards, thanks for the comments thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    The Sad Violinist 18mm by ginger
    7226159-M.jpg

The composition is better. The background seemed busy, but not busy enough...............if that makes any sense. I think this is a better photo than the first one. I am very tired and not thinking well. That day, for some reason, I was putting everyone, thing, in the center. This is not.

7226157-M.jpg
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    Lynnesite, new Avatar thumb.gif
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    7212486-S.jpg
    thumb.gif
    pathfinder wrote:
    7212487-S.jpg
    Disappointed.gif

This one just looks funky to me. It has a "perspective corrected" look to it.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Suggestions needed
    for outdoor photography: have no indoors, not for exhibit. So need suggestions on
    photography in blah, very heavy rain. The storms a comin'. And I am not kidding, I can't go 3 or 4 days and no photographs.

ginger

That was short and sweet.
    Suggestions needed for photographs, wide, in heavy rain conditions.

Probably the rain will flatten the ocean. Less dramatic rather than more. I think this is more of a flooding type, dripping through the ceiling storm.

Don't want to call photographer's anonymous......... don't know their number.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    for outdoor photography: have no indoors, not for exhibit. So need suggestions on
    photography in blah, very heavy rain. The storms a comin'. And I am not kidding, I can't go 3 or 4 days and no photographs.

ginger

That was short and sweet.
    Suggestions needed for photographs, wide, in heavy rain conditions.

Probably the rain will flatten the ocean. Less dramatic rather than more. I think this is more of a flooding type, dripping through the ceiling storm.

Don't want to call photographer's anonymous......... don't know their number.

Sounds like a good time to go to the mall and brush up on people, candids, portraits, see if you can catch a shop lifter